Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't think any of the car conversations were really necessary, let alone all of them

The past two episodes have literally been 50% people in cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I think in the post-show bit after the Feb 16 episode the director said he really loving loves filming car conversations and that he tries to do them as much as possible.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

This dracula is kinda a little bitch? It feels like they started from "we see the same guy in two places at once on surveillance footage" and worked backwards from there. Like I'm not seeing how this doppelganger trick is helping him eat kids before there was a forensic science to fool? How did this guy survive the centuries if he fucks up snatching a little kid from a county fair and gets the poo poo kicked out of him by a bunch of bumpkins?

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

And El Cuco is a stupid name. It sounds so lame every time they have to say it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

You fuckers need to up the dosages on your ADD meds and enjoy the goddamn mood.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

After 8 episodes everyone looks to finally be on board. Except maybe the lawyer.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Really enjoyed this last episode. The reveal at the end gave me goosebumps because it's one of the only supernatural films/shows that I can recall having a protagonist express valid doubt for so long, only to be forced to confront it head on.

Ralph's buy in at the end was really well earned.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

DebonaireD posted:

This dracula is kinda a little bitch? It feels like they started from "we see the same guy in two places at once on surveillance footage" and worked backwards from there. Like I'm not seeing how this doppelganger trick is helping him eat kids before there was a forensic science to fool? How did this guy survive the centuries if he fucks up snatching a little kid from a county fair and gets the poo poo kicked out of him by a bunch of bumpkins?

Didn't Holly say that because they're onto him, he's weakened somehow and is getting more and more desperate for food?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It feeds on grief, the doppelganger trick is to cause grief by having someone beloved do something terrible

Which kinda falls apart given his latest choice is "strip club owner former addict", but maybe that's part of being desperate too

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

precision posted:

It feeds on grief, the doppelganger trick is to cause grief by having someone beloved do something terrible

Which kinda falls apart given his latest choice is "strip club owner former addict", but maybe that's part of being desperate too

I don't think it was desperate when it picked him though?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

The monsters process doesn't really make much sense if you stop and think about it so it's probably best not to

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I don’t think it really seeks out specific victims to copy. It’s mostly opportunistic, someone he can bump into and scratch. It picks up and moves cities each time, so I doubt it really cares who it gets.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I get a bit of whiplash from how this show goes from a super slow burn character-driven mystery to MONSTER SOUNDS and mama Hoskins.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

CODChimera posted:

The monsters process doesn't really make much sense if you stop and think about it so it's probably best not to

Yeah the whole doppelgänger + he's turning into the redneck club manager + killing and loudly eating random humans with Jack was confusing. Other than that, episode was good again?

Btw, what time period is this show set in? Based upon the cars and general aesthetics it feels like early-mid 2000s but then they have modern phones and I think it said the CCTV footage of Terry was 2019 so I'm double confused.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

sticksy posted:

Yeah the whole doppelgänger + he's turning into the redneck club manager + killing and loudly eating random humans with Jack was confusing. Other than that, episode was good again?

Btw, what time period is this show set in? Based upon the cars and general aesthetics it feels like early-mid 2000s but then they have modern phones and I think it said the CCTV footage of Terry was 2019 so I'm double confused.

It's definitely set in the present. Rural Georgia being a bit behind the times seems realistic to me.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

It's like this show had two entirely different creative teams. One for the front half of the show, and one for the back half. Yeah I know we know the mystery now so they feel the need to just throw el Cuco the monster at us, but it's created some weird inconsistencies in its presentation and powers. Back in episode 1 we saw the Terry Maitland doppleganger, who looked and spoke exactly like Terry Maitland and even knew the victim by name, albeit acting very creepy. Now for some reason Claude-Cuco has voice modulation and a weirdly wrinkled face. Yeah we know it's the monster but why is it different this time?

Also why is Claude suffering from disassociation and night terrors when none of the other doppleganger victims presented the same? Why does el Cuco need to copy someone so he can rape and kill a child when he can just get his Renfields to bring him dead bodies to loudly munch on while emitting canned monstersound.wav? Why is this ancient evil such a pussy in the face of a couple fat rednecks in a fight? Why did el Cuco need Jack to drive him to Tennessee?

I will admit it's all very nitpicky, but it bugs me a bit in what was otherwise an extremely well crafted show. The scene of the little girl seeing Terry come out of the woods all bloody chilled me to the bone, and the glimpses of meltyface green hoodie man were super creepy. There is nothing scary about the monster roaring in a cave and throwing some hunter's spleen at Jack.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dr. Clockwork posted:

It's like this show had two entirely different creative teams. One for the front half of the show, and one for the back half. Yeah I know we know the mystery now so they feel the need to just throw el Cuco the monster at us, but it's created some weird inconsistencies in its presentation and powers. Back in episode 1 we saw the Terry Maitland doppleganger, who looked and spoke exactly like Terry Maitland and even knew the victim by name, albeit acting very creepy. Now for some reason Claude-Cuco has voice modulation and a weirdly wrinkled face. Yeah we know it's the monster but why is it different this time?
Its transformation is not complete yet.

quote:

Also why is Claude suffering from disassociation and night terrors when none of the other doppleganger victims presented the same? Why does el Cuco need to copy someone so he can rape and kill a child when he can just get his Renfields to bring him dead bodies to loudly munch on while emitting canned monstersound.wav?

It doesn't want those bodies. The hunter guy was "full of cancer." Those are just subsistence to get by while it prepares for the main course.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
The show took a weird route to get to a similar ending the book has.

Thank god for Cynthia Erivo, I can only take so much more of Ben Mendelsohn.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Same and that amount is as many as the grains of sand on a beach

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Also why is Claude suffering from disassociation and night terrors when none of the other doppleganger victims presented the same? Why does el Cuco need to copy someone so he can rape and kill a child when he can just get his Renfields to bring him dead bodies to loudly munch on while emitting canned monstersound.wav? Why is this ancient evil such a pussy in the face of a couple fat rednecks in a fight?

1- Answered in my last post, its main diet is grief (this is explicitly stated like several times a few episodes ago). Presumably it only eats people in order to be able to transform/manifest without having an Erased Face

2- I think it operates on Urban Fantasy rules, where it simply can't just be a monster if a bunch of people are around, and maybe it can only be like that in the presence of someone like Jack that's in thrall or whatever.

Edit: I thought the story was going in an interesting direction where the rednecks arrest and jail the monster and everyone has to work out how there's two of someone but then lol nope it got away

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm confused as to how that's episode eight and not nine (i.e. the penultimate episode). I'm not sure there's much more story here to be honest.

A lot of it is very good, but I don't think this will go down in the annals of great horror television. I really appreciate what they're doing with the characterisation and the intersection of the show's two different genres, but the show needed more scope to its horror concept. They explained too much, too early.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I think S2 has already been greenlit so I'm even more curious how this season ends

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

pahuyuth posted:

I think S2 has already been greenlit so I'm even more curious how this season ends

If they're smart, it's just the Scooby Gang they've established here tracking down a separate mystery villain

I would absolutely be down with this show becoming Scooby-Doo

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

precision posted:

If they're smart, it's just the Scooby Gang they've established here tracking down a separate mystery villain

I would absolutely be down with this show becoming Scooby-Doo

If it was really becoming Scooby-Doo, El Cuco will have to be revealed to be some kind of brain-destroying prion disease or something with no supernatural connection. And some connection to a real-estate scam, I guess?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

It was Old Man Hoskins the whole time!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought the part where demon dude was complaining about how he still needed to eat because the guy was "riddled with cancer" was both really creepy and darkly humorous.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

I liked the part where it threw a piece of meat at Jack. There's something funny about an ancient child-eating monster or whatever that is also just a jerk for some reason.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One interesting thing that breaks away from the Stephen King mold is how aware Jack is of what's happening to him. Usually the bully that gets co-opted by the ancient eldrich evil in his books is all in on it or unaware it was happening to him, Jack's conversation with Holly in the car about the nature of the thing, why it chose him, etc. is fairly introspective for a King henchman. I haven't read the book so dunno how much of a departure it is, but it definitely makes Jack a more interesting character.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dr. Clockwork posted:

It was Old Man Hoskins King the whole time!

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

zoux posted:

One interesting thing that breaks away from the Stephen King mold is how aware Jack is of what's happening to him. Usually the bully that gets co-opted by the ancient eldrich evil in his books is all in on it or unaware it was happening to him, Jack's conversation with Holly in the car about the nature of the thing, why it chose him, etc. is fairly introspective for a King henchman. I haven't read the book so dunno how much of a departure it is, but it definitely makes Jack a more interesting character.

Spoiler tagged for people who haven't read the book (not a big deal, and I don't spoil the ending, just the difference in this part of the story)

In the books, there isn't the "fight with the ghost of the mother" scene, but there is an explicit conversation between the monster and Jack. Jack is a bit of a hypochondriac and the monster does the same thing with the neck, tells him its cancer, and that he can cure Jack if Jack follows his orders. There is no car ride between Jack and Holly

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Someone please shoot this show and put it out of its misery

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Like, even if you think El Cuco doesn't know you're coming, he's still got a psycho cop with a ton of fire power. Maybe a little more precaution when assaulting his hideout?

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

The Seale character is written to be too much of a dumbass/rear end in a top hat to really be believable. The direction is bizarre.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

This show was so good :sigh:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah comparing the first episode to the latest one is pretty depressing

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

this is pretty minor in the grand scheme of things but the villagers casually strolling to help the kids in the cave in was amusing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CODChimera posted:

this is pretty minor in the grand scheme of things but the villagers casually strolling to help the kids in the cave in was amusing.
That was before the cave-in. At that time the kids were just lost. There was no reason to think that they wouldn't just find them and lead them out unharmed.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
So this is gonna end with them killing the cave thing, but it somehow surviving by badtouching grandpa, yeah?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Tiggum posted:

That was before the cave-in. At that time the kids were just lost. There was no reason to think that they wouldn't just find them and lead them out unharmed.

They're crying and poo poo though, you think they'd have a bit of a hustle going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

I bumped my mouse at one point and was shocked to see I was 40 minutes in and couldn't recall a drat thing happening. Some tiny thing happens, and then we see 3 or 4 combos of characters talking about how they feel about that thing, usually in cars. Doing half the show in a car ride is really cheap and boring by episode 9.
If you took out the soundtrack this whole thing would read a lot more like a low key interpersonal drama, but not a really good one. Mendehlson's character is moving one tick over from 'skeptic' to 'believer' every time we check in with him in the car, and its clunky and unnatural.