Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

ďIíll have to get you to excuse me, my friend, I ainít no hat-rack.Ē

Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i remember one pre-prequel theory was that while the blade itself was massless, it had a sort of gyroscopic effect that made it harder to swing around

swinging around an impossibly sharp sword whose blade had no mass seems like it would be difficult enough w/o filling it w gyroscopes. when you cant get a sense of where the dangerous parts are by feel, youd better goddamn well be loaded up w psychic wizard powers or else you are gonna chop yrself in twain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kraken!
Nov 25, 2005

Fun Shoe

While I also agree that an infrared lightsaber would be visible to the naked eye, the question if would be bright enough to feel toasty nearby

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

SlothfulCobra posted:

Of course, in the old EU any goddamn crystal would work, so Luke's new jedi could use old family heirlooms and junk.

I seem to recall that occasionally newbie Jedi would fry their first lightsabers by putting in crappy crystals, so you obviously couldn't just huck a chunk of quartz in there and go to town. I think Corran Horn killed his once by using cubic zirconium, thinking it was a real diamond (he pulled it off of some pirate treasure or something).

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Luke cooked his crystal up using an easy-bake he found in Obi-Wan's hovel like a meth head.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

I have no country to fight for; my country is the earth; I am a citizen of the world.

galagazombie posted:

The amount of times I've seen people play at lightsabers (or even real life fencing) and hit themselves or even unknowingly graze a limb is all the proof you need that using a lightsaber without being a wizard is suicide.

The gap between "trained since a young age with swords" and "a dumbass swinging around what they know with a toy" is already pretty large, even without wizard powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

They'll never see it coming...

Polaron posted:

I seem to recall that occasionally newbie Jedi would fry their first lightsabers by putting in crappy crystals, so you obviously couldn't just huck a chunk of quartz in there and go to town. I think Corran Horn killed his once by using cubic zirconium, thinking it was a real diamond (he pulled it off of some pirate treasure or something).

Tennel Ka, from the Young Jedi Knights series, constructed her first lightsaber by making a bunch of beautiful engravings on a rancor tooth that she used for the handle, then just crammed all the other stuff into it haphazardly at the last minute, including a flawed focusing crystal from a volcano near the Jedi Academy on Yavin IV. She was rushing it because she'd been dicking around doing physical training while her friends were actually taking their time to construct their lightsabers properly, because she believed that a well-trained warrior could easily make up for any deficiencies in their weapon.

Her lightsaber promptly malfunctioned and shorted out during her first sparring session against Jacen Solo, leading to her arm getting cut off and blown up when the lightsaber exploded a few seconds later.

«3 »