Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
the... the horse. why is there a horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Angepain posted:

the... the horse. why is there a horse.

Holodeck malfunction

Choose
Feb 15, 2020

we're saved!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
bless

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Error 404 posted:

I mean, logic is a method, not a religion or an objective good. Show me a vulcan criminal for whom stealing things was the most logical path given their specific circumstances, lets explore how the moral philosophy of "needs of the many" modifies and constrains purely logical conclusions like "stealing to survive is logical"

I know this is from a while back but I hadn't seen this till now.

One of the really good Voyager episodes is basically this. They find a utopia civilization that has some super duper transport technology. But they treat higher tech the say way the federation does, they don't just give it out to folks. Janeway, while obviously wishing it wasn't so, respects that decision. But some of the crew decide to steal an example anyway.

Tuvoc ends up being the one to do it, since he's smarter and better at it than everyone else involved. Turns out the technology doesn't work off their planet because of mumbo jumbo reasons.

But the real kicker is Tuvoc betrayed Janeway and she's absolutely floored by it. He explains that it was logical, since she obviously wanted the technology but couldn't do it. So he decided the logical thing was to do it himself, take all the blame himself, in order to absolve her of responsibility and yet still help the crew get home.

She says something like "The danger in logic is you can prove anything you want if you work hard enough at it"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
tumblr also provides you with the freshest, realest look at what women actually thought about shows "women liked"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I found this edit on tumblr a few weeks ago and now I can not for the life of me remember what the original said.

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

Trek Tumblr owns. Livejournal's trek fandom was mostly preoccupied with Janeway/Chakotay shipping and seldom observation and discussion.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

I found this edit on tumblr a few weeks ago and now I can not for the life of me remember what the original said.

:gowron:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M44QMKWMxuQ

pandemic fan fiction performed by bashir and garak

pan fiction

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
they did part 2 tonight too, so that'll be up shortly

apparently it's a four-parter.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sisko and Jake paddle the space kayak all the way to Cardassia

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Verviticus posted:

the Vulcan Pride vulcan just came across as a mean guy

Was this the guy who challenged Sisko to a baseball game between crews, then got pissy when the DS9 crew was having fun in spite of the fact that they were losing?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Solok

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

*looks up the name on Memory Alpha* Yeah, him.

Sorry, I didn't follow DS9 as closely as I did TNG and Voyager. It just never clicked for me. Most of what I know about it comes from looking stuff up about it on Memory Alpha or other websites.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

W.T. Fits posted:

Was this the guy who challenged Sisko to a baseball game between crews, then got pissy when the DS9 crew was having fun in spite of the fact that they were losing?

Ace material in that one:

SOLOK: I fail to see why you are celebrating. The Ferengi's bunt was an accident. And you still lost the game.
SISKO: You are absolutely right. And I couldn't be happier. Quark, a round of drinks for the house on my tab.
QUARK: I'm way ahead of you, Captain.
SOLOK: You are attempting to manufacture a triumph where none exists.
KASIDY: I'd say he succeeded.
BASHIR: To manufactured triumphs.
SISKO: Manufactured triumph. Hear, hear!
NINERS: Hear, hear!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Ace material in that one:

SOLOK: I fail to see why you are celebrating. The Ferengi's bunt was an accident. And you still lost the game.
SISKO: You are absolutely right. And I couldn't be happier. Quark, a round of drinks for the house on my tab.
QUARK: I'm way ahead of you, Captain.
SOLOK: You are attempting to manufacture a triumph where none exists.
KASIDY: I'd say he succeeded.
BASHIR: To manufactured triumphs.
SISKO: Manufactured triumph. Hear, hear!
NINERS: Hear, hear!

"Alright, Niners, let's hear some chatter."
"Hey, batter, batter, batter, batter, batter."
"Hey, batter, batter, batter, batter, batter, batter, batter."
"DEATH TO THE OPPOSITION!"

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

W.T. Fits posted:

yeah. most vulcans are written that they have some sort of inherent understanding of other species and why emotional expression is more or less logical and get hitched up when those other species make genuinely stupid decisions as a result, but heres a guy who broke siskos arm when he got mad and later then when sisko doesn't get mad solok is equally confused and lovely. he just comes across as a jerk rather than a vulcan

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

W.T. Fits posted:

Worf really is the only one who GETS fandom.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Verviticus posted:

yeah. most vulcans are written that they have some sort of inherent understanding of other species and why emotional expression is more or less logical and get hitched up when those other species make genuinely stupid decisions as a result, but heres a guy who broke siskos arm when he got mad and later then when sisko doesn't get mad solok is equally confused and lovely. he just comes across as a jerk rather than a vulcan

True, but I'm glad they did. It wouldn't have worked on TOS or even TNG, but by DS9 we had seen enough Vulcans to be like "oh so this guy's just a jerk."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also funny that he goes on about human inferiority when the majority of the Niners aren't human. Ezri even says "Did I forget to wear my spots today?"

DS9 has a few Vulcans, there's the ambassador who's genuinely trying to be helpful but driving Bashir as nuts as the rest of the regular obnoxious ambassadors are (aside from Lwaxana, who's driving Odo nuts) and the Maquis one who Quark has the conversation about negotiation and game theory with. (Quite an impressive moment for him; Quark manages to convince a Vulcan through debate and sound logic)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I put up a contest thread about DS9 if anyone is interested.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3941559

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

:stare:

I... can’t even form a response to that. Good find.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

:gowron:

Also, game recognizes game when it comes to chewing the scenery.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

that whole episode was just a lot of fun.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean yeah I think about that literally every second of every day doesn't everyone :confused:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
one amazing thing about tumblr is it's a social emdia platform where you ABSOLUTELY can sya you want the president to die

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

This thread has been a very cool read through, thanks Pick

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

W.T. Fits posted:

"He didn't touch home Nog."
"Is that true? What do I do?"
"FIND HIM AND KILL HIM."

one of my favorite moments in DS9

Mode 7 posted:

This thread has been a very cool read through, thanks Pick

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Since the start of the pandemic, *odo grunt* has become a major part of my vocabulary

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Brute Squad posted:

that whole episode was just a lot of fun.

Probably my second-favorite episode after Trials And Tribble-ations. There's just so much fun in it.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I love Star Trek Tumblr

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

showbiz_liz posted:

I love Star Trek Tumblr

Hell yes.

I see people make the point every once in a while that SciFi focuses too much on humanity's warlike nature and not our sociability, and gotta say, Star Trek has that pretty covered.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
This thread made me go dig up the Captain Nog post, which made the rounds outside tumblr a while ago so some may have seen it already. This whole concept is now very much a part of tumblr trek fanon.

This long-rear end effortpost was a reply to a reply to someone else's one-sentence post about a dream they had, which is very tumblr:

quote:

I had a dream about a Star Trek series with a ferengi captain and he was super endearing but it was like…the worst ship in the fleet and it was full of the misfits of starfleet But I loved this captain I loved him who is he

quote:

this is an amazing idea

quote:

It’s Nog.

Despite its face as a purported utopia, Starfleet’s got some unfortunate cultural hangups to work through when it comes to certain species, of course. Being the only Ferengi in Starfleet, Nog has to deal with all kinds of racist bullshit from his peers, his superiors, those he eventually outranks.

He makes captain real quick, through a combination of a few open-minded mentors, bull-headed determination, and the good old-fashioned lobes for the business of dealing with people. And he does it despite the bullying, the unfounded rumors and stumbling blocks thrown in his way. He campaigns to have his own ship and gets it simply because the bigots at the top can’t find a legitimate reason to deny it.

But they still try to set him up for failure. They crew his below-substandard ship with the dregs, the misfits, the near-dropouts of the Academy. But instead of getting frustrated, Nog sees opportunity. He knows what his ragtag crew feels like- the unwanted, expected to crash and burn, pushed out to be forgotten.

They know why they’ve been dumped together, pushed aside in the hopes that they’ll just go away. After an admittedly rocky start, Nog sits the crew down in the mess hall and tells these square pegs to start carving corners into the round holes Starfleet has shoved them into. You can’t fit the job? Make the job fit you. We could just give up and be bitter that we’ve all clearly been put here because Admirals Whats-Their-Faces are just waiting for us to bumble into a black hole, or we could surprise them. Prove them wrong.

For himself, Nog adapts the Rules of Acquisition to be compatible with Starfleet culture. His uncle Quark would need a fainting couch if he ever heard, but Nog is thinking profit in a much longer game. He wants to be just the first of many Ferengi to join Starfleet, so he must be a consummate cultural pioneer. More Ferengi in Starfleet might mean eventually Ferenginar joins the Federation. It’s a… very long shot, admittedly, and he might be long dead of old age by the time it happened, but Nog has faith in his people. The females’ liberation movement, going full steam ahead back on his home planet, proves his people can change for the better; it’s a start. Wider acceptance in the galactic community = profit for Ferenginar’s people, and Nog’s idea of profit has expanded somewhat beyond just latinum. (Quark would also need that fainting couch if he ever knew the radical altruistic turn his nephew’s philosophy had taken.)

Ishka listens to her grandson’s weekly transmissions home and could just burst with pride with each one.

He susses out the talents and skills each of his crewmembers has to offer. Puts them to work in ways that dance just around the edges of regulation, finding loopholes in only the way a good Ferengi can. The jerks in charge of handing out assignments keep giving him missions either designed to be a guaranteed fail or are so terrible and frustrating that they should just want to quit, but he turns these fetch quests and garbage details on their side to not only succeed, but return with valuable data or objects of interest. Nothing galaxy-shaking, but more than enough that it makes Nog’s detractors fume at the thought of this upstart shrimp of a Ferengi and all those should-be washouts doing well. Pretty soon Nog’s supporters, the handful of teachers back at the Academy, are all smirking quietly at each other in the faculty conference rooms.

Then Nog and his crew land the big one. One of their little throwaway missions turns over just the right space rock and there’s some universe-ending anomaly staring back at them. Their calls for assistance are treated casually at best- ‘Ugh, it’s the Ferengi and the USS Jury Rig (not their little tub’s real name, but the insult backfired, and Nog’s pretty sure Jenkins is the one who handpainted the nickname on the nacelles during a spacewalk; Nog pretends not to have noticed.), what, did they get caught behind a flock of asteroids?’

Nog and his crew realize help is dragging their warp-speed asses and they’re on their own. Defiantly, they roll their eyes, sigh (gee, shouldn’t we all own condos here at the back of everyone’s priority queue by now?) and get to work. By the time the first ship arrives to help, its just in time to watch the crew of the Jury Rig banish the terrible thing in the sky.

In the fallout, Starfleet command is made aware of all the things Nog and his crew has actually accomplished, along with all the poo poo they’ve put up with from superiors who set them up to fail. Nog is offered a newer, better ship. Some of the crew are offered promotions, positions on more prestigious ships. To a one, they decline. They’re staying with Captain Nog.

…they take the new ship, though.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I want to watch ferengi down Periscope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost