Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

LastGoodBoy posted:

I will never get 5 stars. I refuse to deforest my island into an ugly rear end flat lot for some dumb flower.

:same:
I like my rustic natural island just fine and no I don't want to decorate it from cliff to beach and stream to ocean, Isabelle, stop suggesting I put ugly tat all over the place! And don't even start bitching about all the turnips lying around, you can't even reach that part of the island yet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I spent a couple hours trying to get the supposedly common fly to spawn, in that time I got punked by spiders twice and had to entertain Fauna by playing treasure hunter. In the end I had two whole flies spawn and I missed the first one and accidentally scared off the second one. :negative:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

When does Celeste even show up? I've had multiple visits by everyone but Kicks and Leif, but not a single owl who isn't Blathers. :(

Also never got shooting stars yet either.
Only reason I even have a wand is because I'm so good at fishing.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

track day bro! posted:

Well I could do with some more waterfalls......

Also I've realised the dream of dressing like a Japanese delinquent

Diggin' the Rare googly eyes on your pompadour.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

someone awful. posted:

that's not a thing, lol. sometimes they'll say something like "gee i'm curious about xyzland where buttface lives", but they don't just... spontaneously pack up. and you can't steal villagers just by talking to them, the only way to get someone else's villager to move to your island is speaking to them the day they are packed up in boxes to leave

That's changed since New Leaf then, because in that I unwittingly stole Vesta from a friend's town simply by talking to her once.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Falstaff posted:

I had another communication error, so sorry to anyone who got caught with that.

Turnip exchange still sucks and won't let me set up anything, but I'd still really like to pay it forward and help people unload turnips, so I've opened up my island again. PM for the code, please.

I'll be semi-AFK. Nook's is directly north from the airline, past the plaza.

Big ups to Falstaff for letting me turn my just-barely-a-profit into mad riches!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I've got Pango in boxes right now, if any of you wants a peppy technicolor nightmare anteater. Shoot me a PM I suppose.

Also my Nooks are selling the throwback :skeltal: radio.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

BattyKiara posted:

Still no meteor...My island is cursed to be meteor free, isn't it?

:same:
:negative:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

dracky posted:

I had no clue that you can get posters of your villagers by using them at Harv's island. I admit I pretty much blew past the tutorial the first time, but if you go into the same room-edit mode like your house you can put down your villagers in the studio, and when you go back to your island Harv will tell you the posters are available at the Nook Stop.
Sorry if this is super obvious to everyone else, I had no idea this existed, I thought the posters were like, a bonus you got when you used an amiibo.
I wish I had gotten posters for Hamlet and Frita before they left. At least I had the chance to get Tex's poster and give him a farewell party.

https://twitter.com/tha_crocodiLE/status/1256052773327536129

Dude only mentions you can have your neighbors model but doesn't say how. I honestly thought it was impossible and they left some old version dialog in or something. I also hadn't done any remodeling of the room because I didn't have any interesting furniture to put in anyways. Only used the island to grab the posters of the amiibos I have.

So, thanks for posting and telling me how to do it!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Hmm, I don’t have an android phone but my girlfriend does. What tags do you have to buy? How difficult is it to actually do all this?

If you follow the guide SeXReX posted, it's super easy. The 100 blank tags I bought off of Aliexpress three years ago to get the amiibo locked items in BotW is finally paying dividends.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Chicken Doodle posted:

I'm celebrating the re-opening of my brand new Nook Shop and the completion of my attic by opening up my island for an hour, because it's fun!

Nook
Bags of roses! An ironing set! A tissue box! A pink diner sofa! Don't bother selling your turnips here, it's loving garbage!

Able Sisters
loving PUNK SET
Firefighting outfits!
Totally Not Power Ranger Outfits!

Rowan is making... a leaf. He's 2nd row of houses with the red lily out front.

Giveaways at the Garden of Gnomely Delights!

Fossils:
Parasaur Tail
Eustenopteron
Spino Tail
Tricera Skull
Dimetrodon Skull
Pachy Tail
COPROLITE :black101:

Including some other things (furniture, clothing, and an orchard at the back for picking)

All I ask is that you bring a watering can and wander my island in search of plants to water! I only just planted Roses but you can find those in the barbed wire. My windflowers and Lillies are by the orchard and my mums are on the other side of the cliffs.

Dodo Code: closed for now

Closed early due to lack of visitors - will reopen later! (Thanks punk dude for visiting!)

Your island was very cute, thanks for letting me offload those 100 turnips I forgot about. Aside from the stuff I told you about I also threw some money at your ramp.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

HaB posted:

Same for me.

So this may be a dumb question but: do Bell Trees keep producing if you just leave them?

Not sure where I got the idea from that it’s only once, and I have been cutting them down after harvest. I don’t need the bells, but it might be fun to have a little grove of bell trees.

So yeah- which is it?

It's only once.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

gently caress you Isabelle!
I cleaned up Trash Beach, getting rid of all the junk (mostly a lot of fish) I'd parked there because the Nooks were remodeling and reinstated Turniptopia and she took my island rating down from 4 to 3 stars. :argh:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Wait, seriously? The sticks that fall out of trees count against your island rating just like weeds do? This loving DIY system that necessitated their introduction!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I'll always remember where I was when Maglev Mike took his relationship off the rails!

Cicadalek posted:

Sticks should not count against your score, at least according to the official guide: https://www.belltreeforums.com/threads/full-island-rating-guide.509286/

Thanks for sharing that. So if I'm reading it right, scenery means DIY stuff, flowers and trees, while development is ready-made stuff?
And it rewards cluttering (but not by too much)? What a poo poo algorithm.

Less is more!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Eiba posted:

This is from a number of pages back, but it really bothers me:

Weeds do not count against town rating

The fully grown weeds in this game are beautiful and there is no reason to pick them (if you like how they look). If you do pick them and then later replant them you end up with lovely sparse weeds. I've not done time traveling or enough landscaping to know if they even grow, but if they do it's only under certain circumstances or very long periods of time, because a bunch of my weeds I placed over a month ago have not grown at all.

In other words, natural fully grown weeds are an incredibly precious resource in your town! They're more difficult to get where you want than the rarest hybrid flowers.

Do not pick your weeds just to get a good town rating. It won't work and you'll be losing out on something nearly irreplaceable.

If you actively like the smooth lawn-style ground, go ahead and pick away, but don't encourage samey flat plastic looking towns with this kind of misinformation.

Sticks also don't count against town rating, incidentally. Nothing counts "against" your rating*, but there are things that artificially cap you at 4 stars. More than 220 trees: you're stuck at 4 stars. More than 20 loose items (not placed furniture), you're stuck at 4 stars. Isabelle will tell you this explicitly in addition to her normal rating. Weeds, sticks, shells- don't worry about that poo poo unless Isabelle's being super explicit. All you need to do is crank out flowers/crafted items for "scenery" or other furniture for "development". If she's asking for something weird like fences or shops, talk to her again and pay attention to if she says or implies "scenery" or "development." That's all.

(*Except for some esoteric clutter calculation that you'd need to just plaster poo poo everywhere to run into, and even that just makes things give fewer points, it still shouldn't be a net negative ever.)

You have no idea how upset reading this makes me. I love the look of the weeds in this game and my wild mountains were super pretty. Were. :(

Clocks posted:

I'll have to check the guide to see what it says about weeding, but fun fact — apparently watering weeds causes them to grow (or have a chance to grow, and possibly spread). Yes you can water weeds. If having weeds has no effect on town rating I may need to go plant some in for fun.

I hear they get ugly in fall/winter but haven't seen screenshots to be able to compare.

This gives me hope at least.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Calico Heart posted:

Okay y'all. I have a visitor at my campsite. Every time they suggest someone move out and they move in, I reset the game. At this point they have now asked if they can replace every single villager in my town except Rocket, some of villagers they've offered to replace multiple times. Rocket was one of my starting villagers, however they've also asked if they can replace Goose, another of my starting villagers.

I haven't spoken to Rocket in several weeks and have boxed her off to a corner. Is there... is there some data fuckery going on here? Is it because I haven't spoken to Rocket that they're not coming up, or am I just super unlucky? I want them to kick Rocket out so bad.

One of the ingredients for a robot hero is a Rocket. What I'm saying is if you wanna get rid of her so bad, get to DIYing. :unsmigghh:
Or just get an amiibo card from somewhere.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I'm fairly certain animals can teleport while offscreen, as long as there's a valid path. Just had Queenie zip around all over the place while I was running around trying to catch some fish.

Also, my turnip forecast went from 35% big spike 10% small spike to 80% fluctuating 20% small spike. But the small spike is teensy and the max on fluctuating is 15 more than my buy price. I'm 1.5M in the hole, you chill goons of this thread are my only hope.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Not even a toilet, what kind of monster are you

Nice post/name combo.

E: Would also be real cool if the nook mile redemption thing told me I already had the recipe for rock fence before taking my miles and printing a useless piece of paper.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 4, 2020

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

cool kids inc. posted:

It uh...does? Or at least has for all the fences I've already purchased.

Where? 'Cause I'm not seeing it. I'm talking about the kiosk in the residents services building, not the DIY menu.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Poque posted:

If you don't have it, it will be something like: "This recipe costs 1000 miles. Would you like to redeem miles?"
If you already have it, it will be in two separate segments of text, where the first is something like "This recipe costs 1000 miles." and the second is "You already have this recipe. Are you sure you want to redeem miles for it?"

I think you have to exit the kiosk menu entirely after buying it for the first time for it to switch to the second one, though. And if somebody gave you the recipe, I'm not sure if it will give you the warning.

Ahh, thanks! I guess I'd already gotten the stone fence recipe elsewise then. 'Cause it sure didn't warn me when I bought it today. Checked just now and now it actually warns. :shrug:
Still annoying that the fences you already have show up in that thing, when all the other DIY recipes are available once only.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I just noticed even this game rightfully shits on flat earthers. The ocean horizon has curvature.

Fojar38 posted:

All of it is trash that I fished up, so yes boots cans and tires.

Wondering if there is a problem with placement because I waited a long time to get ants from my spoiled turnip and got them almost immediately after moving it.

It took me way longer than I expected to find a fly myself. I had a 4x3 grid of mostly tyres, some boots and a few cans in an otherwise clear space and the first few times a fly spawned I missed it. As in it was zipping around too much and I missed my swing.
My suggestion is to wait for it to sit down and then slowly approach.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Celeste finally showed up for me last night. Only a weak-rear end shower, but it's better than nothing.

Also, a balloon gave me an embroidered tank, which I thought would look cute on Fauna after taking a very quick look at it in my cooler. Turns out it's quite short, which I should've guessed from the name, and now my deer likes to sometimes walk around the island in lingerie.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

In my case it was not so much a shower as there were maybe 30 shooting stars in a 2 hour time span.

I just left the game running with the camera pointed up and hit A whenever I heard the twinkle while watching YouTube.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

The ghost only shows up at nights. I ran into him at like 3:30 AM yesterday (today) but he starts being able to show up around 8 or 9 I think? I forget.

It'd be nice if Isabelle would mention who (if anyone) was visiting for the day. Redd at least gets an icon on the map.

Animals will sometimes mention feeling a presence and ask you to check it out if spookboy is around.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

This music choice :discourse:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Raymond looks like a bad fursona. Him and the other new animals all have too much detail going on, makes them stand out from the rest in a bad way.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Sleep and Lights posted:

If you stop a villager from moving, do you have to wait a specific amount of days before someone else asks or can someone ask the next day?

I stopped Judy from wanting to move today and I'm curious if that counts as my "move" because I'm trying to get three other people out of here.

I've had animals ask to leave on consecutive days. :shrug:

E: On that note, if an animal leaves and you pull them back in via Amiibo or something, will they remember you?
It was very heartbreaking in City Folk when Ruby was by BFF and then suddenly went "lol I'm moving out" and then when I came across her in the city she didn't even act like there was any history.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

tildes posted:

Datamined friendship mechanic explanation: https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1dy9hDpXzTblQVGjw6jQM0K4dwTjii_v0rm7ooqOXVgg/mobilebasic

And a useful tool for selecting the ideal clothing gifts for villagers based on that data: https://nookplaza.net/tools

Just in time for Curlos' birthday, thanks!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

You know what would be rad? If Nintendo would add the pattern creator to the app, so you can make patterns on the go (at work, instead of working) and then shoot them over to the game once you're back home/your Switch connects to wifi somewhere.

Right now it's nothing more than a glorified qr code scanner and keyboard. All the other options are useless.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

LODGE NORTH posted:

If it makes things any better, https://acpatterns.com/editor/ is basically an online version of it, but it gives you a QR code (no transparency afaik) instead of an Able's code.

e: Or maybe it does? It has a transparency option/color.

Hey, neat. Thanks!

This might affect my productivity at work...

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

track day bro! posted:

I got something called a pitfall seed? wtf is the point of a pitfall in this game

All the games prior to this one had one pitfall in the ground along with the fossils, their main use was smuggling them into an enemy's town and then burying them everywhere.

Speaking of stuff in the ground in every other game in the series: I miss digging up gyroids after rainy days. Hope those get patched in at some point.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

IMO it is extremely dumb that you can't invite boxed villagers to your campsite, and then have them replace someone from there

the campsite is so underutilized for all the build up it was given in the tutorial

They made it sound like you'd only get a very slow drip of animals moving in, through the campsite. But after the first smug one you just pick out plots and the next day they're already sold.

On one hand I get it, it'd be boring if it took too long. In the other, would it really be so hard for Nook to cool his loving jets and let you reserve a plot for future development?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

I've seen this happen twice. I'm pretty sure this is why the villagers get fleas in the first place

Hey now, Fauna proudly displays the flea I sold her in her house, trapped under a drinking glass with a piece of paper under it.

Licarn posted:

Counterpoint: jocks exist

Counter Counterpoint: Teddy exists.

Dude was the first animal I ever met in my village back on GameCube. And now he was the first one I met on my island. I gave him a pink muscle tank and he wears it religiously whenever he's working out. :3:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

gey muckle mowser posted:

e: closed, thanks for coming!

Thanks for making the Zen-style stone for me after Hornsby stopped handing out recipes. Hope you enjoy the iron garden bench recipe.
Also, Charlise is jealous of your cool title.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Macaluso posted:

It's weird they just chose not to playtest terraforming at all. A big company like Nintendo I would figure they'd playtest everything but they just chose not to with terraforming for some reason

I figured I'd try making some paths to my zen spa area, had plans to make a nice curvy path and then plop down some raked sand patterns around it.
Can't make paths that aren't 90° angles, can't have gentle turns on the inside of corners, only on the outside, can't connect to a bridge that's at 45° and it's a lot of guesswork to figure out which tile will get changed if you move.
I ended up giving up in frustration because terraforming absolutely needs a UI that shows the grid, or at least which tile you're targeting. Building cliffs or water features is also extremely frustrating.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

bio347 posted:

They're surprisingly common and not particularly difficult to catch in this game, but the banded dragonfly is known for being a pain in the rear end in (at least some of the) previous games.

I've only seen one ever, which I luckily caught and stuffed down Blathers' throat.

This game's RNG is hosed up* and Nintendo nerfing rare bug spawns doesn't help either.

*And I'm sure they don't wanna fix it because they turned it into a "feature" by having Celeste say shooting stars tend to come in groups.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Don't got any smug villagers, might get Olaf the anteater or O'Hare the uh...hare once someone moves out since I have their amiibo cards.

If you don't wanna go the kicking people out route, you better already summon them twice and do their DIY thing so you can get the third one done on the day there's an empty plot.

E: Might as well join the party:

As soon as Cheri wants to leave I'm letting her go and will probably try to fill her spot with a snooty.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 10, 2020

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Calico Heart posted:

Hey all, wanna turn a bit of my island into a minigolf course.

I think so far cute things to include would be the spaceship (it's a wardrobe but just looks like a cool rocket), the lighthouse and maybe the wind turbine. I could easily create little hole textures and a path leading you around the course.

... Of course, before I get my hopes up too much, I have to ask; are there little flags or golf clubs in the game?

This is what I found in a very quick search: https://villagerdb.com/item/golf-bag https://villagerdb.com/item/champions-pennant
Otherwise maybe a little flag pattern on a transparent background?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

NofrikinfuN posted:

I got pretty annoyed yesterday to discover that I was missing three river fish that were currently in season because they are all available during work hours. I'm pretty sure I also miss half of my available turnip prices for the same reason. Working 8-5 sucks. I should probably start checking guides so I don't miss fish like I did with the tuna and marlins.

Also, I accidentally discovered I needed exposed stumps for some beetles. It would be nice if there was an in game resource to research some of these topics, it seems kind of silly to only be able to get available hours from actually catching and donating something.

I'm in the same boat, so let me introduce you to a technique I lovingly refer to as Time Compression™®©.
Step 1: Wake up Switch into home menu.
Step 2: Close game.
Step 4: Go to options.
Step 5: Turn off internet time syncing.
Step 6: Set time to anything between you last save and current time; I like to go for 10:something in the morning.
Step 7: Start game.
Step 8: Do early morning/afternoon stuff.
Step 9: Save game.
Step 10: Close game.
Step 11: Adjust time forwards, out just sync back to real time.
Step 12: Enjoy a newfound work - life balance where you don't have to get stressed out by missing things in this real time based game.

This is absolutely safe for turnips, as long as you don't go back further than your last save.
If you don't close the game between clock changes, they won't take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

LizzieBorden posted:

Weird question. At some point I definitely had a stand alone telescope (not the tourist one) and now I can't find it. Presumably I sold it, or it was destroyed by a bridge etc. I also can't find it at all in my catalogue. Any idea what it's called or where I can get another?

I got one of these https://villagerdb.com/item/telescope on my island. You can have it if you want, but it'll have to wait until tomorrow as I'm just about to go to bed.