Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Bifauxnen posted:

god, has anyone ever in the history of Mafia ever posted a full Lumpenlist of all players and not had someone reply to it with "why did you list so many scum???" :v:

liked the rest of this KB post, though. And his vote on ICR, I find it reeeeeal weird how some of these people being asked for their lurker picks did not say ICR when he's got the full trifecta here:

1) lurking
2) talking mostly mechanics instead of opinions on casing
3) ALSO, said opinions he posted about the mechanics suck

also, in a more serious response, I'm fine with ICR. I just think that Ruggan would also help a bit more with figuring out Mega's alignment, and I want to at least have my vote on Ruggan for pressure to post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

SolusLunes posted:

He agreed with me. :colbert:

"He" being Ruggan, to clarify.

PMush Perfect posted:

Maybe not specifically a doctor, but what's worst case scenario here? "Oh, we didn't accidentally kill a townie"?

What? Did you a word here? Or am I just slow? "didn't accidentally kill a townie" only seems worst case from a scum perspective.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Amnistar posted:

It feels disingenuous and superficial.

I hold that Soothseer is 100% the most important build path and we should prioritize completing it every day.
1. Death of the builder = game over. Making them better in combat just seems like a no brainers.
2. I *know* the golden raindrop is a build based on my role, and I am nearly certain it is the last build of soothseer.

Amnistar posted:

My role specifically mentions the rainbow drop with regards to building.

This seems like a lot of information to have casually dropped, chief, but I want to be clear:

Did you mean "golden raindrop" or "rainbow drop"? One wins us the game, one's a term that means literally nothing to me

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

There is a reason why it is a thing that is done whilst playing mafia. If we had to deal with the rainbow drop and kill the king you would have a point but we win from either conditions so we should play to both.

:thunk: are you uh

is this a scumslip

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

What I meant by my post was that if we had to kill all scum and do the rainbow drop/dragon king stuff.

But we don't have to do both.

I can kind of get where pmush is coming from now that they've explained it. Specializing on one wincon seems like a good idea but in this case I don't see "searching for the rainbow drop" and "killing all the scum" as taking up mutually exclusive resources.

It's not a good idea to ignore the scum in my opinion, but I can see how pmush got to that conclusion. It's about as good an idea as all piling into soothsaying.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Jen X posted:

Hmmm

##vote Hunt

A quick glance through their posts in this game reveals a laser focus on mechanics, bad suggestions, going for the low hanging fruit of mega, and now this nonsense

Also I think ICR is a bad vote for ~reasons~

Everyone should say what they plan to do because coordination beats secrecy and also ~reasons~

I’m building walls.

okay I'm gonna go for the bait but what are the reasons, JX, especially on ICR

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

I know. That was the point of my post.

I feel like we're two ships passing in the night but to the same conclusion so okay

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Jen X posted:

Softclaimed/hinted at a thing

Okay I think I know what you're talking about, but that doesn't track with the post two posts later imo

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Jen X posted:

Wait no they didn’t softclaim the thing in question, ignore that!!!

goddamnit page breaks

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Mr. Steak posted:

that has never stopped town before lmao.

anyway, i accept defeat on the matter of no-lunch. well, i didnt feel that strongly about it to begin with, except for challenging mafia norms. but when i thought it over, youre right that 1 person's building for a night is probably not worth the lost information.

i guess ill plop a vote on the leader despite not having any read on him one way or the other ##vote icr

this is a concerning reversal

alli again posted:

I agree with coordinating build actions and am soothseeing today. For the record, this is because I'm actively terrible at everything else.

AA, given your earlier statements on me about "scum are probably bad at building and all lol put me into combat", what's your thought on Alli's "I'm bad at everything, and combat too"?

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Dragonatrix posted:

Might bear repeating, but I am still opposed to the ICR rush here. :colbert:

Again, he reads a lot more genuinely confused/clueless town to me. Seriously think we should be looking at folks who are more actively scummy. Otherwise we'll just be wasting our time.

No Lynch isn't a thing I'm worried about here though. Steak saw just enough sense to switch off that, which is a good start at least, despite him actively admitting to just bandwagonning to the current vote leader which is hella bad.

You shouldn't temper that with a "despite": at best, switching off the no-lynch is a null read. Jumping onto a bandwagon that, uh, thinly, when it would have been less scummy for him to say nothing at all, is bad.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

SolusLunes posted:

You shouldn't temper that with a "despite": at best, switching off the no-lynch is a null read. Jumping onto a bandwagon that, uh, thinly, when it would have been less scummy for him to say nothing at all and just drop a vote, is bad.

mafia edit

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Mr. Steak posted:

i admit to having trouble following this game and skimming a bunch of pages. im trying to get through n1 so i reach the meat of the game. part of why i'd genuinely want to NL on d1 (which, no, i never expected to actually happen), is because i get lunched in d1 a lot and it sucks to be that person. the idea of pardoning someone from that fate appeals to me

so your original NL vote had nothing to do with pmush's mechanics reasons for wanting a NL?

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

unrelated but AA I'm so glad you have a new av

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

SolusLunes posted:

I'm just gonna do the soothseer thing for my day action build shenanigans, and hunt scum. Someone else can do the citybuilder combat stuff thinking, because I sure ain't.

claim

Amnistar posted:

Also, again, the likelyhood of a build-cop in this game is not inconsequential. Catching someone lying about where they claimed to be building is a very real possibility.

This is probably something you might have wanted to keep to yourself- it's possible scum didn't think of that possibility.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Amnistar posted:

Was this accurate Solus?

Yep.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Goddamn you fuckers post a lot

yesterday was the wife's birthday so I've been out most of this weekend, I'll catch up

For the moment though I'll work on masonry so I can get an idea of what the number for soothsaying means, think I'm pretty decent at it but not 100% sure, depends on the scale.

Additionally after reading the combat results, I'll say that I should probably not be put into combat then- three attacks from me would just barely kill a slime. I think I'm more of a tank than I am damage focused. (Though weapon damage boosts would help me.)

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I'll do the beating sticks for masonry, the clubs

pardon my lack of engagement, I have had to wash my bed because cats are colossal assholes

including soaking the mattress

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

cats.txt

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Ruggan posted:

Maybe a good idea for future days: single-staff suspected scum to a project. If that project makes progress, they are confirmed town. If the project does not, they are confirmed scum.

Remember, scum can't work on projects. So we could reveal up to 4 people a day (if everyone else focuses on a single project and we single-staff 4 folks).

This is mechanically both a good and a bad idea- yes, that's probably how things work. However, while we could clear four people/day (or catch scum) that may leave us in a bad position for the sieges.

Honestly I kind of want to boost this idea because it's still fantastic if we scale it down to one or two.

I think there is also a small chance of a false positive- some people probably do have Actual Zeroes for their abilities on some projects, but I don't think that's a significant risk.

Also, even though I pushed Ruggan D1, they've been posting now a lot today, and I don't think they're scum, or at least, they're pushing Pmush in what is a legitimately concerning number of inconsistencies and it's kind of baffling to me that people want to push Ruggan after they've put in that much actual work.

##vote Pmush

I'm very suspicious of the people currently pushing Ruggan, that is:

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I'm also curious about Dragonatrix and ICR's claims. There's a confirmed masonchat in every game, and it's called scumchat. Just putting that out there, especially since Dragon's one of the ones pushing a crap Ruggan case.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

oh lol sup scumbro, you and your B-tier lurker friend binus can both go up the ranks

binus is my ride or die here bif :colbert:

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

oh lol sup scumbro, you and your B-tier lurker friend binus can both go up the ranks

also, more seriously, I thought you were reconsidering your ruggan vote and shifting towards pmush. Why haven't you?

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

I was willing to hear him out. But after finally sitting down to do the proper work he sounded full of bullshit again.

He sounds like town Steak going off on thirty tangents, except he can't quite reconcile all of them in a neat and pretty way, and I think that's giving scum inroads to discredit and lunch him.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Ruggan posted:

Sure but it still feels like a meta strategy. Just feels broken and optimal.

You could further optimize by organizing ties. A single scum joining would cause a choice by CC would it not? And it could ruin the even match elsewhere?

Would it cause a choice though? Does scum have to choose one of the two projects or just sabotage in general? If it's choose, well, they could choose the same project as the one the person working there has claimed, so it wouldn't trigger a tiebreaker.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

##vote KB

Going with fearless leader for now. I'll be around until deadline.

This is a bad vote. Don't offload your thinking onto the confirmed town.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Especially when Keane didn't give a justification for the KB vote, and you just want to bandwagon onto it.

Still thinking ICR and Drag might be scum pulling a confirmed masons gambit.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Lux Animus posted:

After Amnistar just said 'let's not veer our vote leaders at the last minute D2 as it's bad for future data,' Bifauxnen is saying:

"Yeah but if we do it on Lux, it'll somehow be different! Just think of how shocked everyone would be if we switched our votes onto a person whose had no votes on them before now!"

For some reason.

Why would what Amnistar thinks about voting patterns be relevant for people who aren't them? I feel like you're trying to read in a gotcha that isn't there in the slightest.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

In fact,

##vote Lux

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Jen X posted:

Aww ty

I had a townread on him for meta reasons but I thought alli was the builder (weakly, mind you) for the early push for a builder buff

I wanna revisit alli tomorrow actually she’s slipped under my radar

Same w/solus

I thought amni was the builder :shrug:

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Pushing off to Lux is really pinging me.

Especially since I see three people I think are scum on that list. (ICR, Dragon, Pmush)

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

SolusLunes posted:

Pushing off to Lux is really pinging me.

Especially since I see three people I think are scum on that list. (ICR, Dragon, Pmush)

mafia edit: off of Lux

lux is the right vote imo

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

MegaZeroX posted:

You think IRC and Dragon are scumbuddies together that are pulling of a mason gambit in a game where one can also accidentally die in combat?

I do suspect it, yes!

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Ruggan posted:

If scum can not attack monsters then we can assume at at most one player from N1 was scum. If there was one, it was probably one of the two that aimed at the same target. Will have to look later.

Man, if scum can't attack monsters, and can't hide by contributing to building, that seems unbalanced. There's got to be something more, I think. Or that assumption's incorrect.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

b-minus1 posted:

I’m wondering if solus is scum and was trying to pocket me with this post

See that would be reasonable if I didn't start my next post with "also, more seriously"

You're reading too much into it, binus

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

I feel bad for the scums :smith:

Right? Next we'll find out there's multiple cops to go along with the multiple docs and confirmed masons.

This is one of the reasons why I don't believe the confirmed masons claim, incidentally. All this poo poo doesn't seem, uh, balanced.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Also, for those of you who believe people in combat simply because they actually engaged in combat:

Ask Mona about Sal. Scum would be dumb to actually try to kill people in combat in this game, tbh, looking at my own stats- it would be literally impossible for me to kill myself without any serious upgrades, and would take upwards of ten combat nights for me to kill myself if I didn't have armor.

Relying on combat results to clear people seems like a good way to get tripped up. I also question clearing ICR just because claim to have taken all the damage from the monsters- so? This is combat against, essentially, NPCs- it's stated in the OP that "Scum may instead undermine the town defenders in a variety of ways," not that scum are controlling the monsters. I don't think scum are controlling the monsters, there's likely some kind of backend logic in it since it's very clearly "you can openly plan combat".

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Lux Animus posted:

If town can plan combat strategy openly why can't scum also direct monster attacks to - say - focus everything on one person? Wouldn't that be balanced?

You're making arguments that things aren't so easy for scum in this game and seemingly explaining how scum has it harder than town suspects.

These complaints are 100% being made from a scum perspective.

##vote SolusLunes

Also I'm working on cleaning the Bandages (Weaving) today.

Hmm, terming them as complaints is curious. I'm warning more against complacency for town.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

King Burgundy posted:

BTW Solus, this post was directed to you and I still haven't seen you do this.

You've straw manned in a variety of other directions. But haven't honestly visited this.

A reminder of factors to discuss:

ICR/Dragon claim to be confirmed town masons as of D1.
ICR is confirmed to have hit a monster in combat, something that the Mod/OP says scum cannot do. On top of this, he is confirmed to have actually KILLED said monster. No one else claims it. There is no ambiguity here. The claim is he attacked the monster and his attack was doubled by an ability from Dragon and the monster died.

Solus, in your mind, you must have some kind of justification/scenario for how it is possible that these two are scum. You have to have built something that makes sense to allow this thought to exist. So what is it? Explain your theory of events/mechanics/motivations/etc that allows them to be scum?

I agree that they claimed this.
Please show me in the OP where it states scum cannot hit monsters in combat.

If you're referring to "Scum have their own targeting rules. It doesn't involve attacking the monsters and hopefully you can guess from there." This does not say that scum CAN'T target monsters, like it says that scum CAN'T build: "Scum also submit a construction choice, but they either do nothing to aid the project or actively harm it. They may not build."

I think that their confirmed town is a scum gambit playing on ambiguity and it's working fantastically well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Additionally, scum getting themselves "confirmed" by acting town in combat is extremely effective, and effective recently, no less, with Fate Soldiers Mafia. I think that blind spot is exactly what ICR and Drag are exploiting.