Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

In.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

whatup, friendos

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bifauxnen posted:

Hey Burgs wanna debate the mechanics and poo poo! I think once the project list goes up we should try and pick one favourite for people to pile onto to work on, if they don't have any one clearly obvious choice for maximum utility.

Is this an open invitation? It'd be neat to try and coordinate to some degree - though would it be best to pile up to a degree or try and hit a little bit of everything?

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Amnistar posted:

That's my theory, but waiting for mod confirmation.

If so, then we have to choose between effectively guaranteeing a powerup, or potentially gaining multiple power ups.

This, of course, ignores the risk of what scum not in combat can do to building projects

Obviously we need the construction project list - give it to us!! - if just by going off the examples, my immediate thought is maybe masonry / walls as a rush to start off with? Then maybe branching out from there with basic protection in place.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

also claiming is dumb as hell day one but also it's JokePhase,

Hey wait on that note I know we're waiting for more info but when is deadline, anyway?

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

alli again posted:

buffing the builder seems like it would pay really good dividends lategame and i think it'd be really good to get started on it now, personally - that said getting some details would, i agree, be helpful

regarding claiming, can you elaborate on this? like full roleclaims sure, but my feeling is that we need to give a little more information out in a soldiers game so that the builder has something to work with for strategy purposes

no that's a fair point. I mostly mean alignment/fullclaims. I'm waiting on clarification on something before I state where I fall re: combat/building. I either have a really neat combat capability if I'm reading it right or, if I'm not, it'd be a better ability for clutch play and not constant combats. Will update once I hear more. :v:

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

So I'm going to put my inexperience a bit out there a bit (only played in one other Mafia game here ((shine vi)) and no I don't count pera No, as much a fun mess as that was) but is the read here a meta read off of another meta read? Just want to make sure I've got that correct.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MASONRY
Dirt Block Walls - Reduce progress damage to all projects by 10%
Oaken Clubs/Cypress Sticks - improve the melee weapon trait for all players that have it

CARPENTRY
Actual Doors Made of Wood - The Builder assigns a 1-shot jail, and a 1-shot ability to prevent project damage.
Oh Arrows are supposed to be sharp? - improve the ranged weapon trait for all players that have it

TINKERING
Fire Shot - The Builder assigns three 1-shot ooc abilities to deal damage into combat
Strategically placed rocks - advance the Heavy Armor trait for all players that have it

WEAVING
Actual medicinal herbs instead of placebos and hope - The town healer has their ability improved to restore more health
Preemptive Bandaging - improve the Light Armor trait for all players that have it

SOOTHSAYING
Soothseer Project:
Find the Banner of Hope - Restore the Light of Rubiss to the Castle. Strengthens the Builder.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Definitely agree wrt walls to start with, and then maybe explore autodamage from there?

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Combat, yes, front row.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Trying to do some work on the app isn't great. :v:

Gonna put a soft vote on ##vote KB for the moment. While I think that poking and scunhunting in mostly mechanical chat probably isn't an awful idea, I hesitate because I think there's a slightly higher chance the builder might be there. That said, I feel KB is in the category at the moment right above that category - mostly mechanical chat with some degree of effort to be helpful - almost seems like the sweet spot to aim for. I also disagree a smidge with the read on Mega at the moment, but I admit to needing to poke into that a little more as well.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

King Burgundy posted:

Please elaborate. Not really following your reasoning.

Yeah, reading back I can see that a bit. Partially a gut read off of some of the shorter posts/bits you made earlier. As well as pointing out that a handful of your actual posts at the time were also pretty much mechanics chat. Someone earlier articulated it a bit better than I could, I'll try and pull that too here in a minute.

Also masonry/walls, here.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MegaZeroX posted:

KB - For a vet, its weird how little scumhunting they've done. They have posted quite a bit, but most if it is either posting mechanics or defending themselves. Currently their only work at all is me, and hopping onto a bandwagon takes very little effort. Like, if they have all this time to post about mechanics, and do some smarmy sniping, they should have time to make a real case. It feels like they are just trying to pass through the day. It reminds me of playing with scum KB in the Fate Soldiers game last month.

Found it. Worded better than I did - if a bit stronger than I would go with.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mr. Steak posted:

just looked at the votes and went "who the gently caress is social studies 3rd period??"

hello,

(writing up a post atm)

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

Nothing that isn't strongly OMGUS. Was sus of Jen X until she retracted that I'd softclaimed something. It was kinda weird.

alli history is exclusively arguing about numbers on a spreadsheet, nothing real there

CCKeane's vote history seems to be jumping around onto bandwagons, I really don't like that.

SS3P seems like they're coasting harder than anyone right now.

Anybody advocating a no-lynch is pretty suspect in my eyes. Granted, we'll have information from building and battle tomorrow, but without a confirmed flip we're basically on d1 against except scum have had time to wear us down.

hey i'll have you know i primarily lurch, not coast!!!

Guilty as charged, to a degree. Finally back to a computer now so hopefully that'll turn around a touch. I certainly agree on no lunch being out the window for the reason listed.

I'm still alright with my vote on KB as it stands, but acknowledge that a.) it's obv. not going anywhere with the time to deadline and more importantly b.) that the tiny bit of reasoning I have could easily (more easily, if anything...) be pointed right back at me, so fair's fair on that. That said, definitely reviewing a little bit here - it's been hell having limited PC access the last couple of days for a variety of reasons.

Not really getting a scummy ping off of steak. As someone else who also struggles the first couple days, I get you a bit on this one. Let's both try and do better as best we can coming up, tho.

ICR... if Dragonatrix is to be believed (while I understand wanting to save someone you know is clear why would you do it like that???) - that makes me suspicious of some of the mid/later votes on ICR as a bit of a bus. Leith is another poster on the mostly lurking list, Mega, KB, Keane and Steak - as noted above, a mostly town read on Steak and I've noted my KB qualms. Keane is a goddamn mystery to me at this point on some of what they've been posting. But I've got an itchy feeling that out of Leith/Mega/KB, at least one of the three are scum, maybe two?

What bothers me some is that while Leith is also in the lurkier side of posts, they've - other than for Bif a while back - avoided being on most lists pointing out lurkers and the like? Temporary ##vote Leith Maclaine for the moment as more of a nudge than anything. But really this is all based off of that huge, huge if.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

gah, mafia edit: *Will be around 'till deadline, tho.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Leith Maclaine posted:

Wow, that just happened to be amazing timing.

lmao, hello!

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ruggan posted:

Scummon! Scum summon!!!!

scummon, :hmmno:

...or scummoff? :hmmyes:

(also, unrelated, holy poo poo when did a filter get put into the smilies option)

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mithross posted:

Night phase:

Night phase is quite a bit different and will look a lot like a soldiers game, split into precombat and combat/night phases. 5 players from the thread go forth to drive back the Dragonlord's minions. Those in battle will use their combat actions to attack and drive back the enemy, while the enemy minions damage them in return. Scum may instead undermine the town defenders in a variety of ways. Meanwhile those not in the siege may submit regular night actions.

Combat:

Players attack by selecting a valid row and column for their selected attack actions. Front row fighters may only attack front row monsters with melee attacks. They may only attack back row monsters with ranged attacks. Back row players may only used ranged attacks, and only against the enemy front row.

Scum have their own targeting rules. It doesn't involve attacking the monsters and hopefully you can guess from there.

Few thoughts/questions regarding last night and the above: first of all, everyone did select a valid target for their attacks, yes? I can't imagine, but just wanting to make sure.

Secondly, the combat itself - scum have their own targeting rules. I don't know if this would be something reflected in results or on individual sheets, but how are folks re: health if anything changes there? Any signs of sabotage?

Finally, while my brow is definitely raised regarding Ruggan, there are a lot of moving parts here and I think it's plausible. The fact that charms and Mega couldn't kill a slime together I think is a touch more concerning. Not throwing a vote out yet (day just literally started!) but I would love to hear more from the both of them/be comfortable with a vote on charms.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

For completion sake, note that Fire Shot - the 3x one shots completed - do 10 damage. You'd need two of those to kill a slime.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

I'm at work for the next couple of hours and can't access my spreadsheet. Just so no one is asking where I am.

Just a note for a followup when possible. Particularly because now I'm starting to wonder - was Slime C even killed at all? I'm assuming yes, but "Slime C flashes away in a puff of light." - the wording on that makes me curious. While I don't think it makes a huge deal at present, I agree with the thought that we really should nail some of the details down about combat. I'm inclined to suggest a push on the auto-cannons if at all possible. Automatic AoE damage sounds good? That or some actual weaponry.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

that's what i get for lack of preview edit, argh. thank you for reporting in, ICR. I'm wondering if it was the Hammerhood's all out attack?

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Hmm. But ICR just stated they didn't have the strength to take down a slime alone. Wondering if someone else might have attacked Slime C, or got redirected, somehow, as Dragonatrix suggested?

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Aha! There it is. also lmao I got you and Mega mixed up, apologies

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Apologies re: lurking. it's been a rough few days. Even without that, tho, I am beginning to think after this/previous game, that mafia may not be the game for me anymore, but we'll see. As a consolation tho, while I catch up on the last little bit, here's a power listing for the time being. Everyone not mentioned falls in on a neutral/null town leaning read.

Lean Scum
Lux Animus - I fully admit this may be partially in reply to their list from the other day. I do think a lot of their pings and reasoning are suspect, though, regarding some of the newbie/lurker classifications. Probably? The one I feel least confident of in this grouping, particularly with some more recent posting.

charms - Suspicion linking charms and Pmush together to a degree. Jumps out pointing the finger at the no lunch suggestion from Pmush, when the vote falls pings me a bit, but then is quick to jump to their defense today. Poor showing on the combat, on the same level of lurkiness as myself but also posts with less scontent... I dunno. Nothing outside of circumstantial evidence, but I'm growing more comfortable with the idea of a charms vote, either now or soon. I wanna hear more from you, friend!

PMush - I don't think I buy the defense on the quoted potential scumsclip. There's definitely been some confusion re: stats, and as said upthread I echo KB's post about getting everyone on the same page. The no-lunch gives me a degree of pause, mind - there are def arguments I can see about not lunching, but think I have to go, in hindsight, that trying to get 0 information wasn't the right call. Particularly as starved as we were D1.

Null Scum
Leith Maclaine - Recent posts from earlier today are making me potentially reconsider this classification, but I'm still not a fan of how Leith skated by on some lists yesterday. Honestly more of a "if Leith flips scum then look at X" feeling than anything, I guess?

alli again - More from the lack of posts and substance, but for them I'm getting a bit more of a scum ping on the content and how they're particularly weaving in and out of the conversation. Would love to hear more, but I think as they said the other day they've also just been quite busy.

Monathin - I can't quite shake the sense that, while helpful, the analysis on hunt's vote might, might have been a vague derail attempt? Maybe jumping at shadows here, but keeping an eye on.

Jen X - Closest to the next ranging up here. Some prodding about, a - to use their own wording - go after some low hanging fruit and such... but, a few more recent posts and the offering of a bit of role information has me rethinking here.

Lean Town
Bifauxnen - Helpful, prodding, casing, active. But then again in my one previous game, I opened up a masonry with you for very similar reasons and that didn't turn out great, even after you said you'd make me your newbie buddy!!! :v: #forgivenotforget #butdoesntapplytothisgame #hopefully?

Amnistar - I debated over and over where to put them on this list. As they and others have said, the posting of the charts etc. in and of itself, while helpful, is not indicative of alignment. I think Amni is either the towniest town to ever town, or is like, megascum or whatever - particularly with so much talk regarding the builder. But now that we know who the builder is and Keane specifically advised Amni to not claim certain details... eh.

MegaZeroX - Also one of the more prolific posters that hasn't been gunshy about their suspicions and reads. Paradoxically enough, though maybe, I feel like we'd probably learn a good bit from Mega's flip because of it? Nothing that's pinging the radar particularly, though, earns the town leaning rating.

(Keane excluded from this list for obvious reasons. Our claimed masons as well.)

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I'll say some sooths to see how smoothly soothing says goes, says self.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

b-minus1 posted:

Is it possible that ruggan pmush and kb are all town

Honestly at this point I haven't ruled out the possibility of all three of them being scum and that this is some next level Slapfight Theatre. I almost feel like I've got boxes of posts and corkboard and string at this point trying to untangle the mess. Between probability and this entire mess, I think at least *one* of them are scum, with maybe a decent shot at two of three? Hell of a way to draw attention if it is though, mm.

Very, very tentatively going to throw down a vote here. ##vote Ruggan because the more and more I look at it all, the more I'm convincing myself that this is scum potentially caught out, though it may just be an unfortunate case of too much wine. I do think you're right, Ruggan - we will learn something, and I'm hoping this isn't the wrong move.

That said, save for a brief period or two in about an hour from this post, I should be otherwise around until deadline. A few questions I'd like answers to chew on on some of my other suspicions:

charms, any other reads at the moment? Bit drive-byish, and while I think you brought up some important info, I'd still like some more pings from you.

Lux, both alli and I have looked over your way. (And I still think depending on how you turn out, you might be connected to Leith.) imo, I'm with alli that I'd be voting you right now if the circumstances were different. Any particular response/thoughts on that?

Mona: Rereading back on your vote analysis on hunt D1, I find myself curious about your own rule in pushing hunt: you vaguely mentioned in your analysis and called out where you said hunt was a secondary lunch target. You posted that analysis fairly early on, and you're on Ruggan at the moment - are you still feeling KB/Leith/charms?

Amni, you're one of the more active posters in the thread. (And again, the tracking/counting work you've done is appreciated.) I know you've put a lot of thought into the mechanical aspects of this game. I'm still leaning heavily town, I think, but you've discussed both Ruggan and KB today, I think. Where would you go today if not one of them?

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CCKeane posted:

Can you give your take on KB specifically?

Yeah. I know I poked at KB day one but it was mostly a gutread. I'm more tilted toward KB being town mostly for a couple of reasons - one, the most intangible, was the gut feel falling away. Two, a lot of the work done earlier today in sussing out some of the mechanical/tie stuff pings more town to me. And three, we're both somewhat indicated toward Lux. (No intent to steal credit ((???)) meant, but also I vague gestured at them D1 and I think my parents post with them on possible scumtier was around the same time as you started pointing to Lux? Hell, I hate doing all this on mobile.)

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yesterday was a hell of a mess, and I'm a little sad I missed the chaos at the end. (Hooray for a doctor's appointment that wound up starting over an hour after it was scheduled...)

I think Ruggan is probably safely in the town corner at this point. (Or deserves a goddamn award for that scrap with Pmush if they're also scum, because goddamn.) While we're not at high speed or in any danger of it yet, def agree w/the idea of being careful not to turbo Amni. Which leads me to my next point:

Amni, who would you point the finger at/would be most suspicious of today? I want to know what your thoughts are here before any potential flip if we do wind up going with you today.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

(also I am going to grumble a bit re lurker rules - I get it, I do, and I think it's for the best. I absolutely concede to needing to post more. I'm just a smidge miffed at the idea of having to break up thoughts which could easily go into longer thought out posts. Like I otherwise would have done with this post, for example. But, eh, it is what it is. :v: )

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Also like, maybe I'm setup speccing too hard here, but it would seem weird to just... do nothing? Definitely gets into wine territory I guess, but it makes me wonder why scum would just... not act, day two. I know the rules from the OP state that scum have "different targeting rules" iirc, but I struggle to think the setup would allow scum to only Attack Other In Combat or Do Nothing. But I also don't know a ton about soldiers games so...

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Unfortunately I wasn't present the last couple hours as I thought I would be due to RL circumstances. Hour long drive to the doc, over an hour wait with basically no signal, and then immediately an hour drive back which got me home right as day ended.

I have apologized for my lurking sins, and will work to break up my thoughts into more than a handful of generally more in-depth posts through the day. I plan on trying to dive in on vote analysis a bit later once I'm home if it's not already been handled, and I'm already wincing at the idea of my own analysis. ("charms! Leith! Lux! Ruggan!") I'm pretty sure I pointed toward at various points. :smith:

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

Monathin - I can't quite shake the sense that, while helpful, the analysis on hunt's vote might, might have been a vague derail attempt? Maybe jumping at shadows here, but keeping an eye on.

With the posts in defense of pmush and the above strung out at about the time pmush started to show/up and, on a reread, what almost looks like a planned back and forth or two a little later on (so many posts in so little time back and forth)...

##vote Monathin But definitely no rush to turbo.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CCKeane posted:

I am not.

Not curious or not willing to weigh in? :v:

Anyway re: building I'd like to potentially go one of the masonry projects again to chip in there a bit. Otherwise, happy to go where might best be needed.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Build order acknowledged.

To alli, specifically (since I've been typing this up on mobile before seeing some of the more recent replies, I'll get to those here in a bit) - I definitely concede about my casework D1. KB was more of a gut feel that ... I think it was Mega? I quoted the post iirc - made a bit clearer about KB's posting that day, as they had a bit more meta knowledge to go off of. My thoughts on Leith/Lux were mostly questioning Lux's list post and the seemingly questionable analysis on Leith by Lux and one or two others, as if it was a blindspot of sorts being passed over intentionally - and between the two, since Lux was a little more vocal, I figured Leith to be the better choice at the time.

Day two wasn't great. :negative: I wound up voting for Ruggan at the time because of the two cases of potential scumslippery and Ruggan's posts tilted the scales just enough. I'd intended to be around the while before deadline but uhh that really didn't work out, unfortunately.

Also, wasn't the case you're using against me D1 also something that can be mostly said of yourself?

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CCKeane posted:

Megas interactions with PMush, particularly PMushs to Mega, are worrisome, and I have a bad gut call on that.

SS3P is lurking, which can be null but it feels very much like a laying low lurking and not a "I am busy all the time sorry" lurking.

look I've one game over a year ago under my belt (not counting the pera no... madness of a game) and you fuckers post a lot, I'm trying to keep up :smith:

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bifauxnen posted:

lol Lux you are in for a treat

People have posted a few images/bits from votefinder yesterday and good lord my head still spins at what a mess that was. Like I know we've all picked it apart in various ways but post game I kinda want someone to graph out that madness. Today doesn't seem quite so chaotic, yet, anyway.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ruggan posted:

Ok. I support a Mona vote but would switch to a Solus vote if we need it. Otherwise I still need some convincing.

I may disagree with some of your ways, Ruggan, but I'm pretty sure I'm either here with you or if it winds up not happening, possibly axing one of the lurkier players - and I know that potentially includes myself. I think ... Keane, was it? - was right the other day. One scum down, no successful NKs thus far, there's not necessarily any rush. Information doesn't hurt, so long as we don't, as you said, get too distracted. I'm comfortable with where my vote is for the moment.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Hour and a half left. We need to figure out a way to come to a decision here. Mona, Solus, Mega, Amni, ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Urrgh. ##vote Solus to hopefully force a decision a bit here. I'd prefer not to NL.