Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Southern California Mexican fastfood is in a league of its own. Sure, being so close to the madre land we have plenty of good examples of different regions being represented in food all over California. And being represented well! (Try Sinaloan tamles. Delicious)

But gently caress that poo poo. Mexican fastfood is different variations of, tortillas, meat, and cheese. All mixed up, sometimes deep fried, sometimes covered in cheese, and usually with some sort of potato in it.

Mexican fastfood is regional even within SoCal. People from L.A put nacho cheese on their chips. People from San Francisco have food made by Sonoran people who have a completely different tatse and style. San Diego is the official(maybe not who cares) birth place of the classic California burrito.

Classic California burrito:

What is it? Essentially just a Carne Asada burrito with french fries. Different versions exist some with homestyle potato some with steak fries. But in my opinion, its gotta be string fries.

But wait! :siren: what if you're drunk and need MORR starch?! Don't worry. Lemme introduce you to...

Carne Asada chips and fries:

:gizz:

Easiest way to describe them are super nachos and Mexican poutine.

These are the OG staples! Perfect drunk food. Amazing diet ruining food. Pure comfort. It don't stop there tho. Let's get weird. Real weird.

What about breakfast? Replace the meat with pork and throw in some eggs in it BooM
Breakfast burrito:

What if you want more crunch?
Hot cheeto burritos:

The types of burritos goes on and on. Sizes, meats, starches, cheese etc etc. SoCal is blessed with endless Mexican chains named after some sort of -erto that are 24/7 365 days a year always changing owners and names but always giving us what we need.

Come! Discuss your favorite type of Mexican fastfood! Share pics and stories. Best experience worst experience. All of the above!

*over broken drive through speaker*
Psssh "Red Sauce or Green?" Psssh

Edit:remind me to stop phone postin and retake high school English

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL0uGIBat0I
?? :nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W2gOe6ydR4:nws: ??

Feel free to talk about other Mexican fast food. Quesadillas, Camarones Diablos, Chimmichangas, Chile Rellenos(and burritos), :ese:TACOS:ese:, Agua Fresca, Jarrrrrrrrrritos and more

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 6, 2020

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ah, a thread about the thing I miss most about living in socal. I used to go to Tito's Tacos a lot, though I'm sure there are better taquerias with hard shell tacos. https://www.titostacos.com
Also Las Golondrinas for the guac http://lasgolondrinas.biz

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
I was heartbroken when I learned that nobody knows how to make a decent loving burrito outside of California.

I miss Mission burritos so loving much.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Ah, a thread about the thing I miss most about living in socal. I used to go to Tito's Tacos a lot, though I'm sure there are better taquerias with hard shell tacos. https://www.titostacos.com
Also Las Golondrinas for the guac http://lasgolondrinas.biz

I'd love to shoot recommendations but there is literally so many spots. Some I regularly frequent some I've done 1 drunk night in.

If you're in SoCal, like reaaaally SoCal, I recommend Armandos in San Diego, Albetos, Lolitas, Robertos, Humbertos, Humberto, Albertos, and Pokez.

Alot of these places are true hole in the walls. Some are more "famous" local chains.

https://lolitasmexicanfood.com/ that's the only one i found with a website lmao

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 6, 2020

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
If the Mexican spot is open at 1 am and it’s connected to a gas station. It’s quality stuff.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

When I go to California for work, I always get a breakfast burrito each morning because nothing in Seattle compares.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Chile relleno burritos.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
If you're ever driving up I-5 through the poo poo that's the valley (the big one not the poo poo LA calls the valley) stop in Williams and hit up Roberta's Taqueria. Dirt cheap and drat good.

Then get the gently caress out of Williams because that place loving sucks.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I'd love to shoot recommendations but there is literally so many spots. Some I regularly frequent some if done 1 drunk night in.

If you're in SoCal, like reaaaally SoCal, I recommend Armandos in San Diego, Albetos, Lolitas, Robertos, Humbertos, Humberto, Albertos, and Pokez.

Alot of these places are true hole in the walls. Some are more "famous" local chains.

https://lolitasmexicanfood.com/ that's the only one i found with a website lmao

Tonys is loving awesome as well, and they have a website! You're a champ if you can finish the Tonys plate in one sitting.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The_Rob posted:

If the Mexican spot is open at 1 am and it’s connected to a gas station. It’s quality stuff.

The Aardvark posted:

Chile relleno burritos.

:hmmyes::yeshaha::hmmyes:

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

The Aardvark posted:

Chile relleno burritos.

Hell yeah. The one at El Farolito in the SF mission is dank as gently caress. Used to take BART up a station to El Farolito then eat back home on the roof of my building and smoke some weed.

Full disclosure though I usually got the asada. The chile relleno was my choice to mix it up. Also the loving pigeons are much less interested in chile relleno so they'd actually leave you the gently caress alone. Bold fuckers would try and grab poo poo out of your burrito by swooping you.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

There's a place in Mira Mesa called El Patron that has a Bandido burrito with

Chile relleno
Carne asada
Rice
Beans
Cheese
Enchilada sauce

It is aaaaaamazing. Other places have it too but I haven't had theirs yet.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

The Aardvark posted:

There's a place in Mira Mesa called El Patron that has a Bandido burrito with

Chile relleno
Carne asada
Rice
Beans
Cheese
Enchilada sauce

It is aaaaaamazing. Other places have it too but I haven't had theirs yet.

Ok this is the next one I hit. Already tried their surf and turf and it stared into my eyes and loving challenged me.

Of course I made it disappear.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

These tacos were a little pricey but worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc_XH70lBs4

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Ok this is the next one I hit. Already tried their surf and turf and it stared into my eyes and loving challenged me.

Of course I made it disappear.
A true hero

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I barely made it.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You crossed the "death zone" that is just your gut being full of burritos.

And dead sherpas

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Ate a breakfast burrito and pastor fries last night. Sorry, no pics I was kinda drunk.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
There's two 24 hour burrito joints within an easy drive of my home. Living in SD owns.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

There's two 24 hour burrito joints within an easy drive of my home. Living in SD owns.

How can you live in SD and leave your house for Mexican food? Don’t you have postmates or door dash or whatever y’all use down there?

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Half the fun is seeing dumb and drunk people at 3am

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

The Aardvark posted:

But you can do that at home on something awful dot com.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Aardvark posted:

:hmmyes:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The Aardvark posted:

It’s not fun if you’re not one of them.

I’m never one of them.

My younger kid loves bean and cheese burritos. I’m learning to make them so they stay folded and don’t come apart!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Any thoughts on Chronic Tacos?

I’m going to one tomorrow and am debating between taco Tuesday deal or a burrito. Maybe even a CA burrito....

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ultimate Mango posted:

How can you live in SD and leave your house for Mexican food? Don’t you have postmates or door dash or whatever y’all use down there?

I'm not so goony that I'm willing to pay $5 of assorted fees and tips for a $7 burrito for the privilege of having someone bring it to my home.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

I have an albertos literally right behind my housing complex. I can smell the carne asada being cooked at night. Its their way of tempting me to come over and have one.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The weather is so nice down there that I wouldn't mind going out for mexican anyways. Goin' on a burrito and horchata run on a nice summer midnight is :perfect:

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I have an albertos literally right behind my housing complex. I can smell the carne asada being cooked at night. Its their way of tempting me to come over and have one.

Are you secretly Mr. Alberto?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Are you secretly Mr. Alberto?

haha

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Just moved to TJ recently and I'm eating amazing, cheap Mexican food on a regular basis. Seriously, come to Baja if you live in San Diego.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

liquid courage posted:

Just moved to TJ recently and I'm eating amazing, cheap Mexican food on a regular basis. Seriously, come to Baja if you live in San Diego.

I love love love the food down in TJ. So many amazing places to eat (hole in the walls included!). THis reminds me that I need to update my passport!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Chronic Tacos is not what it used to be. Nothing crazy or experimental or unexpectedly awesome. Just more chain mexican food. It was good but not great.

I have a local hole in the wall I want to try now, see if I can find the real poo poo.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Sabrosada nachos are loving amazing and I'm going to miss them in a month or so. Fresh, flavorful, and a ton of food for like eight bucks.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

A place near my house puts cotija cheese on top of their carne asada fries, and let me tell you it makes the fries so much better.

Also a killer sauce bar.

The Aardvark fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 12, 2020

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

You can't beat the Al Pastor Burrito at Taco Mesa. They don't serve fries though.

I had the most killer greatest Carne Asada Fries at El Jacalito in Big Bear this past weekend.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

liquid courage posted:

I mean everything is cheap down there. I do miss those street dawgz and going down for lobster fest. Getting off topic, have you been to the telefonica already and hit up the stalls there yet? I hear many good things

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
could really go for poquito mas right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

You can't beat the Al Pastor Burrito at Taco Mesa. They don't serve fries though.

I’ve been going to Taco Mesa for like 30 years now. I lived down the street from the original one on 17th (which was obviously a Taco Bell previously). Still awesome.

Unfortunately the one in Orange went to a new cilantro forward menu which is incompatible with my allergy situation. OG Taco Mesa 4lyfe

Do they have a legit claim to inventing the wet burrito?