Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
The Elan School was, for over 40 years, a brain-washing boarding school for teens. Rather than say, curing the gay away, or imposing military structure, the Elan school followed a blueprint provided by the more generally purposed rehab/cult program Synanon. Synanon, in turn, was based off of literal North Korean brainwashing techniques.

There is an ongoing webcomic/patreon by a previous student/victim of the Elan school, which I thoroughly enjoyed. It's basically finished, ending off with him no longer at the school. elan.school

I highly recommend reading this comic if you're interested by stuff like the Stanford Prison Experiment, the whole thing is insane and there's a lot I won't cover here. Below things might be considered spoilers if you plan on reading the web comic, but it's a real historical thing so I'm not going to spoiler tag.

What are the tenets of this boarding school? Let's see.

You are either Strength or Non-Strength.
Strength is assigned to any "job" above a certain level. Here are some "Strength" job titles: Shingle Expeditor. Coordinator of Service Crew. Worker of Service Crew. Depatment Head of Kitchen Crew. Expeditor I read all 42 chapters of the webcomic and I don't honestly understand what any of them do or why they are titled that way.
Strength can talk to Strength or Non-Strength
Non-Strength my not talk to other Non-Strength
All talking must be about how the program will improve you, fix you, etc.
Don't be guilty.

A Redditor's AMA described "guilt" as follows:

quote:

You are acquiring "Guilt" if you are caught : looking at a member of the opposite sex, smiling at a member of the opposite sex, making prolonged eye contact, being sexually attracted to another Elan resident,

They had students called Expeditors (a rank which took a minimum of 6 months to achieve) who would walk around with clipboards. They would stand on a Zone or a part of the house with a good vantage point (all day) and just look for people who could be breaking the first 3 rules posted above. They would write down the names of both the male and female. Note: the Expeditors would be punished for handing in incomplete clipboards. So they had no problem making assumptions or using their imaginations to complete them.

And here's a more comprehensive list of examples from the webcomic:

Okay, weird rank system, strict no-sex policy, bizarre rules. Let's get in to the true insanity - General Meetings.

All students at the Elan School would hear a scream of "General Meeting Kitchen" and go gather in the kitchen. A high ranking person (an actual paid adult) would then read off an offense that someone had caused, i.e. looking at a girl twice, or being reported for some other minor thing.

At this point, a broomstick would be laid down in front of the perpetrator. Every single student had to take turns screaming their hatred at the offender. You were allowed to scream as long as you were standing in front of the Broomstick, and you were expected to scream for at least 5 minutes at every general meeting. This meant that for nearly 45 minutes, a random teenager would be screamed at by every other student, 3 or 4 at a time (however many could fit behind the broomstick).

These general meetings happened as many as 8 times a day.

On top of this, you would be asked to knock on the crew office door regularly. A council of four Strengths would then review your guilt from their collection of notebooks, and of course, scream at you. Screaming was apparently a constant at the Elan school.

Students were allowed no true contact with their parents, of course - all letters home would have to go through dozens of revisions. Any mention of the true nature of Elan School was strictly forbidden. During phone calls, a Strength would always be monitoring, and would cancel the call the second it sounded like a student was about to spill the beans. They would then re-call the parents and say there was a connection issue, and that their child is now in a learning experience.

Disobedience to the level of say, trying to get your parents to get you out, would cause you to be placed in "the corner", which was a chair in the corner of an office. Students would be forced to sit in the corner for as little as a week, and as much as months, only allowed to leave the chair to go to the bathroom.

And now let's get in to the literal physical abuse portion!

The Ring: A particularly egregious offense would result in The Ring. The offending student would be placed in a ring of other students, given a mouth guard and boxing gloves, and then face a series of other students one after another/simultaneously until they were sufficiently injured.

Elan school was finally shut down in 2011 after a series of Reddit AMA's resulted in a grassroots movement to harass the school.

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
The comic seems interesting but unfortunately it appears to have been drawn by the wikihow people

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Devils Affricate posted:

The comic seems interesting but unfortunately it appears to have been drawn by the wikihow people

I meant to mention that in the OP, the comic's art is not great but the whole story is so ridiculous I eventually got over it. I kind of wish he'd just made it a written account w/ pictures, since he has actual pics in some of his "chapter notes".

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ultimately paying money to “volunteer” for something is worse than slavery.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
My friend got sent to this school because his parents caught him smoking weed. Before this school he was a really nice chill person who I never heard raise their voice in anger once since kindergarten. By the time his parents finally figured out wtf he came back a straight up psychopath who would scream at everyone and use violence constantly and was expelled almost immediately.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I remember seeing a thing on dateline or 20/20 or something way back in the 90s about "teen transport companies" and I remember thinking "How the hell is any of this legal?" and I forgot capitalism and America.

ArchNemesis
Jun 27, 2007
College Slice
Why anyone ever thought having your "problem child" kidnapped in the middle of the night could lead to positive results it just beyond me. How little do you have to care about your kids to sign up for this?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

My friend got sent to this school because his parents caught him smoking weed. Before this school he was a really nice chill person who I never heard raise their voice in anger once since kindergarten. By the time his parents finally figured out wtf he came back a straight up psychopath who would scream at everyone and use violence constantly and was expelled almost immediately.

Reminds me of my friend who went to a Catholic camp one summer

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Julius CSAR posted:

I remember seeing a thing on dateline or 20/20 or something way back in the 90s about "teen transport companies" and I remember thinking "How the hell is any of this legal?" and I forgot capitalism and America.

The guy who started the Elan school became a millionaire at 30 as a result lol.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

“Shingle Expeditor” seems like a yet-undiscovered donation rank (eg, Grimey Drawer)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Alien Sex Manual posted:

“Shingle Expeditor” seems like a yet-undiscovered donation rank (eg, Grimey Drawer)

down on your knees and lick my Shingles you non-strength piece of poo poo!!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wow, I didn't know you could get paid to mentally abuse other people

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

god, rules loving suck

smoke weed every day

(if you want)

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

friendly 2 da void posted:

god, rules loving suck

smoke weed every day

(if you want)

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.
Grinding in my favourite rpg to get add-on perks like Shingle Expeditor and Guilt for my Non-Strength class character

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer
Started reading the comic mentioned in the OP, and... holy poo poo. I have a morbid fascination with dystopian fiction and totalitarian societies. I think I've read 7 books written by escapees from North Korea. And it seems the Elan School was right up there with the most dehumanizing societies that could be imagined.

It may not be quite as awful as a North Korean gulag, but they were breaking kids' spirits while - I suppose - trying to skirt the law. How much of this was illegal, I don't know, although it was clearly abusive. I'm reminded of 1984.

I'm only on chapter 13 but so far this it's terrifying. Children could be trapped in a nightmare like this not only with their parents' consent but because their parents actually wanted them to be there. And who knows how many facilities like this still exist? Not to mention religious cults and such to which the law seems to turn a blind eye. It's horrifying. So if psychological horror is your thing, this fits the bill.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I spent the morning reading the whole thing and it was a crazy rear end story. I'm bummed that it hasn't finished yet, I wanna hear the rest. I thought for sure the fight club was made up until I saw the linked video of the founder calmly explaining that it was real and a good thing.

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer

Caesar Saladin posted:

I spent the morning reading the whole thing and it was a crazy rear end story. I'm bummed that it hasn't finished yet, I wanna hear the rest. I thought for sure the fight club was made up until I saw the linked video of the founder calmly explaining that it was real and a good thing.

I just got to that part and I guess my question about whether any of this broke the law has been answered. No way in hell that was legal.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I remember when all those like camps where you send your kids who were “bad” and it was basically compounds in the woods where they tortured the kids calling it rehabilitation and reprogramming were a big thing

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Nevermind holy gently caress the webcomic. What the poo poo.

The ring was allowed until 2001? What the gently caress. Documented. Reported on. Allowed to continue.

Also this does remind me of N. Korea escapee books which I read 2 and do not recommend, you will feel bad.

1st_Panzer_Div. fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 11, 2020

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

This type of poo poo was my worst fear when I was doing intervention work. It's a slippery loving slope between setting up kids to get in a situation where they'll have to use their conflict resolution skills and just letting them gently caress each other up to teach one a lesson.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
drat it, is this the dystopian hell we're making? Never blind always watching... ffffffhuoifghuwsiotghuioht4wuihi why? I don't want.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
OP, I tried to read that comic and realized it was starting to give me a panic attack by chapter 14 or 15. I think I am done with that. :psyduck:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
What the sweet actual gently caress.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Joe Pass spent time in a synanon program. He even named an album after it. I had no idea it was like that.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Nevermind holy gently caress the webcomic. What the poo poo.

The ring was allowed until 2001? What the gently caress. Documented. Reported on. Allowed to continue.

Also this does remind me of N. Korea escapee books which I read 2 and do not recommend, you will feel bad.

Are the books in Korean? Names please

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Both in English, both of them super religious, I read them with a church group when I was religious, one of the last books I read with them. I threw them away apologies but it was like tears of a soulless animal. Do not recall the other, I read the other one first and it was... it's over the top jesus progaganda which seemed like a compromise reality from her north korea experience.

The Elan school definitely strikes a similar cord.

1st_Panzer_Div. fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 11, 2020

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

goddamn this is some Beyond The Black Rainbow poo poo

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
The web comic author's story would make an awesome psychological horror movie imo. My only concern is that it would end up the world's loudest and most annoying movie if they were true to life.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

PyPy posted:

Are the books in Korean? Names please

I read Masaji Ishikawa’s “A River in Darkness” and it was very well told, but gut wrenching.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Well this was a good thing to read before bed, loving hell.

Found some posts the author made about this in an old reddit thread, sounds like his parents haven't really apologized or acknowledged any wrongdoing on their part, or that the school was that hosed up.
https://www.reddit.com/r/MrJoeNobody/comments/9w4m2q/i_am_joe_nobody_an_elan_school_survivor_ask_me/

The comic currently stops with him escaping to NYC, but from reading his posts I get the impression he ends up back at Elan after that somehow, ugh.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
did any kids actually off themselves at this place? what a horrible situation, it sounds from the youtube comments like it might have had a severe 'look the other way' policy from the maine govt. maine is weird. fuckin stephen king people, ayup

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
that webcomic is like roald dahl x chuck palahniuk

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

SO DEMANDING posted:

The comic currently stops with him escaping to NYC, but from reading his posts I get the impression he ends up back at Elan after that somehow, ugh.

gently caress, you're right. He's not even 1/3rd through in the comic right now I think.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

This comic has actually left me quite unsettled all day since I read it this morning

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
he gives a lot of thought to his 'speech' to his parents to convince them in a very short time that something is very wrong.

I think what I would do is not try a big speech. just say "mom something is wrong here. this place is abusing kids. we can't talk they're watching" and then go on to be just like SUPER weird and On The Program from then on. maybe one last 'help me' eyes at the very end depending on how you feel it went

edit: although reading further if they didn't clue into THAT insanity..

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 11, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
paying to have your child forcibly kidnapped :psyboom:

that part wasn't exaggerated, right?

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Nope

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts
The problem here is if your parents are ok with the kidnapping part they're lowkey ok with the rest and no speech is going to convince them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
That comic was a captivating read, holy poo poo. Yeah the art wasn't great but I didn't care at all.