Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The Clubhouse seems to be missing a thread about the Colonel's legacy, and I cannot accept that, even if his franchise has strayed from his vision:

The Motherfucking Colonel Himself posted:

"They prostituted every goddamn thing I had. I had the greatest gravy in the world and those sons of bitches they dragged it out and extended it and watered it down that I'm so goddamn mad."

"My God, that gravy is horrible. They buy tap water for 15 to 20 cents a thousand gallons and then they mix it with flour and starch and end up with pure wallpaper paste. And I know wallpaper paste, by God, because I've seen my mother make it...they add some sludge and sell it for 65 or 75 cents a pint. There's no nutrition in it and they ought not to be allowed to sell it... [The] crispy recipe is nothing in the world but a drat fried doughball stuck on some chicken."

Popeyes may have usurped the Colonel's leadership in the fast food fried chicken game, but KFC will probably never die. Talk about Japanese Christmas orders and the surprisingly tasty Buffalo Chicken Little sandwich ITT. Harland Sanders would want you too, and as the rare twentieth century Kentuckian who nobody can ever remember using racial slurs, I think he's earned it.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

KFC Nashville Hot Chicken

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BaconCopter posted:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
KFC is fine, good even, but that so called nashville hot chicken is a loving affront.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

trashville

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Literally Walmart deli chicken is better then KFC. And by god does their quality vary chain by chain.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I like the chicken, especially the extra crispy, but most of the sides are glue and their biscuits are bricks.

The baked beans are ok.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

BaconCopter posted:

It's good.

youre
Dec 30, 2019

Nashville Hot Chicken is a stupid hipster Man Vs Food made up thing. It is objectively bad. Too spicy to get any kind of balance of aromas or depth, the overuse of chili or paprika interferes with proper crust formation and it just creates a red mud on the outside which also makes the chicken retain too much temperature insulation and burn your mouth. and your dessert for suffering through all this is a white piece of bread

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
KFC in the UK did something to their fries that turned them from something borderline acceptable to "just chuck them in the bin if they're part of your meal". They also changed their logistics chain which meant that almost every restaurant in the country ran out of chicken for a week or two while they switched distributors

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

youre posted:

Nashville Hot Chicken is a stupid hipster Man Vs Food made up thing. It is objectively bad. Too spicy to get any kind of balance of aromas or depth, the overuse of chili or paprika interferes with proper crust formation and it just creates a red mud on the outside which also makes the chicken retain too much temperature insulation and burn your mouth. and your dessert for suffering through all this is a white piece of bread

Actual hot chicken in Nashville owns, but let’s never forget that the origin story is that it was created to punish a philandering husband.

Pretty much everybody not in Nashville gets it wrong though. Hint: if your “Nashville hot chicken” has sauce on it, it isn’t Nashville hot chicken. (I AM LOOKING AT YOU COLONEL.)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
KFC was maybe still good fast food chicken 20+ years ago or whatever, but it's pure trash now.

Apparently the original stuff from when the colonel was still alive & kicking was fantastic.

CaptainPsyko posted:

Actual hot chicken in Nashville owns, but let’s never forget that the origin story is that it was created to punish a philandering husband.

Pretty much everybody not in Nashville gets it wrong though. Hint: if your “Nashville hot chicken” has sauce on it, it isn’t Nashville hot chicken. (I AM LOOKING AT YOU COLONEL.)

Yeah real Nashville hot chicken is genuinely good and has a unique flavor profile that isn't just "die motherfucker" unless you order one of the top heat levels they have as a joke.

Copycat hot chicken is almost always pure poo poo. Hell, hot chicken in Nashville sold by a place that isn't a hot chicken place specifically will probably taste like rear end too.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 12, 2020

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
People who have Nashville opinions PYF hot chicken, who ya got?

For me it goes something like (I haven’t been to Nashville in about 2-3 years, so maybe out of date!?!?):

Pepperfire
[large gap between 1 and 2]
Princes on pure chicken quality, but if convenience and ambience count, bust it down a few ranks
Hattie B’s
Bolton’s
400 degrees
Princes goes here if we demerit for the parking lot with the three foot deep 5 foot wide sinkhole just chillin like a death trap, etc.
Party Fowl

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

youre posted:

chiming in to say this is objectively incorrect. Hot chicken was first made by a black woman in the 1930s, and then that Prince family opened a chicken shack. White people even came to get it during segregation, which of course was A Big Thing. Prince's is still around, though the primary location (aka in a zero tourist part of town) had a fire a year ago and hasn't reopened yet. Luckily they have other locations. But the 45+ minute wait is worth it, because oh my god is it good.

Now, the trend of white restaurateurs making everything "hot chicken" is pretty hipster and maybe even a form of gentrification, considering its history. but most hot chicken outside of Nashville is not even close to the real thing anyway.

Also have no idea what you're talking about with "proper crust formation" because the lard- or oil-based sauce goes on after the chicken is fried. also that bread soaked in hot orange grease is loving delicious

I think your problem is you just don't like hot chicken, which is ok, but get the history right at least

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Crusty Nutsack posted:

chiming in to say this is objectively incorrect. Hot chicken was first made by a black woman in the 1930s, and then that Prince family opened a chicken shack. White people even came to get it during segregation, which of course was A Big Thing. Prince's is still around, though the primary location (aka in a zero tourist part of town) had a fire a year ago and hasn't reopened yet. Luckily they have other locations. But the 45+ minute wait is worth it, because oh my god is it good.

Now, the trend of white restaurateurs making everything "hot chicken" is pretty hipster and maybe even a form of gentrification, considering its history. but most hot chicken outside of Nashville is not even close to the real thing anyway.

Also have no idea what you're talking about with "proper crust formation" because the lard- or oil-based sauce goes on after the chicken is fried. also that bread soaked in hot orange grease is loving delicious

I think your problem is you just don't like hot chicken, which is ok, but get the history right at least

They've probably had "hot chicken" in the same way most Americans have had "Chinese" food.

I don't eat Panda Express and then call Chinese food garbage for dipshits.

(I eat it when I'm desperate and in a hurry. :v:)

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Who was the GBS Nashville Hot Chicken guy? I can't remember.

KFCs Nashville Hot Chicken is legitimately good though, I like it.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

The Smokey Mountain BBQ sauce is worlds better than Nashville Hot. It's still on the website but last time I stopped in my KFC they'd taken it off the menu.

KFC has that peach Mt. Dew which is FIRE.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

youre
Dec 30, 2019

*adjusts glasses* well hehe you have just never had AUTHENTICc nashville chicken, you need to be inNashville and it NEEDS to be from 1930s or your palate wouldn't understand. According to this wikipedia article eating spicy detritus on white bread is actually delicious. Did I mention it wasinvented by another race?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

youre posted:

*adjusts glasses* well hehe you have just never had AUTHENTICc nashville chicken, you need to be inNashville and it NEEDS to be from 1930s or your palate wouldn't understand. According to this wikipedia article eating spicy detritus on white bread is actually delicious. Did I mention it wasinvented by another race?

oh I see you're just a dick, thanks for clearing that one up

youre
Dec 30, 2019

HGB do I have to put up with this kind of abuse?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Yes

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

youre posted:

HGB do I have to put up with this kind of abuse?

youre continued existence and posting are a form of abuse

sports
Sep 1, 2012

youre posted:

Nashville is a stupid hosed up town and should get nuked along with Austin and Boston

sports
Sep 1, 2012
I’ve had success with kfc if my order is super large and they have to fire up the broasters for it. Lots of times I think people have a bad experience because they get heat lamp chicken

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I miss the Kentucky Grilled Chicken so much. The seasoning was SO GOOD. You always had to wait for them to make it up because no one ordered it. Sigh.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I could eat an entire bucket of popcorn chicken no problem

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Popcorn chicken is hard to get wrong. Likewise, the chicken littles are pretty decent!

I find myself drawn every few months to the KFC chicken pie. I’m under no illusions that it’s not just like kept under a heat lamp or whatever but as part of the whole $5 fill up thing I’m a fan of the price point. Plus, you get a cookie.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I haven’t had KFC in ages but I was reminded that there’s one in town that people have hated for 15+ years because—assuming they even have chicken that day—the service is glacial and the staff completely indifferent about anything. Everyone in the area knows about it and the reviews are all over the internet but it’s always busy so I guess through sheer force of will it’s established itself as the heel kfc and that kinda rules tbf

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I can't believe no one has mentioned their cole slaw. It's still really fuckin good after all these years.

youre
Dec 30, 2019

nashville fried chicken is the nashville music of chicken

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Bring back Mac n cheese bowls

All the ingredients are IN THE STORE

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Jose Oquendo posted:

I can't believe no one has mentioned their cole slaw. It's still really fuckin good after all these years.

I used to think this but not anymore. It ain't the slaw either, it's still the same far as I can tell but my tastes have changed and I don't like it anymore.

youre
Dec 30, 2019

is this the kfc cum coleslaw or something else

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I got blazed as hell and went to the KFC buffet a couple times, I recommend it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

WAT

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

There are very few of these left, mostly in small towns in the south.

There is also one popeyes buffet left in the whole world in Louisiana and I want to go theeeeeere

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

There's one in Wisconsin too https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3913501

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
kfc biscuits > popeyes biscuits :colbert: