Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

GalacticAcid posted:

https://twitter.com/adamdberry/status/1232748302170492928

:unsmith:

last time burdi was on a mound, he was in tears and clutching his forearm. really, really believe in his talent and want to see him recover & excel
This is awesome to see, he's had a rough run his whole career. But now I've also gotten myself deeply confused.

Nick Burdi, while recovering from TJ, was selected in the Rule 5 draft after the 2017 season (and traded to the Pirates). The Pirates activated him from the 60-Day 9/1/18. He was then put back on the IL on 4/23/19, ending his season.

Googling led me to the league's FAQ

quote:

A Rule 5 Draft pick can be placed on the Major League injured list, but he must be active for a minimum of 90 days to avoid being subject to the aforementioned roster restrictions in the next campaign.

He's failed(separately and cumulatively) to reach that 90 day threshold for the 18 and 19 seasons. So is he still subject to those roster restrictions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Slimy Hog posted:

How are pitchers supposed to perform when they lowered the weight of the ball by 27oz?

Best Shape Of Its Life

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
This is extremely cool:
https://twitter.com/betsyhelfand/status/1236340632362287104

As is:
https://twitter.com/Cut4/status/1236340726943924225

And:
https://twitter.com/DanHayesMLB/status/1236320524919287810

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

alpha_destroy posted:

Two weeks sounds like wishful thinking, no? I imagine things won't be better by then.

I imagine it will give them time to figure out the plausibility of empty stadium games while also giving time for things to get enough worse that cancelling a larger swath won't seem like overreacting.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Red posted:

Wow, poor Mrs. Williams
Holy poo poo

While we're enjoying baseball sims, does anyone have a link to the old Baseball Mogul LPs? Featuring Twin Peaks, Strike O Matic, Ozzie, Ray King, and time travel?

I keep forgetting to put a copy into cloud storage...

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Timby posted:

I have the PDFs on my home computer, I can upload them tomorrow.
:tipshat:

Ammat The Ankh posted:

This might not be the most insane game I've ever seen live, but it's easily the most insane single inning.
:same:
Tried explaining what had just happened and what was going on now to a room of people who had no idea about baseball and.... I mean, I can think of worst first impressions of this wonderful game.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Slimy Hog posted:

I have a ticket for a game that was scheduled for late next month, the ballparks website says "wait" and ticketmaster says they won't refund mlb tickets.

What is the likelihood of me getting my money back?

Assuming you bought it directly from the team (and not via Ticketmaster's Ticket Exchange, stubhub, vivid, etc), I'd suggest actually calling in tomorrow. What I've heard for the most part is that teams aren't advertising refunds but also want to avoid news stories about refusing to refund tickets.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Red posted:

Maybe Joe wears a mitt around the house. Cooks and cleans, washes the car with it on.

That's the only explanation.

Can confirm. Exclusive childhood Mauer video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7khAy15NN4

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/status/1267278824410173443

At first blush, this is actually pretty sensible/reasonable (a welcome change from MLB proposals). A little surprised the players are willing to cut into the offseason, that's a concession from early conversations.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Word has been that the MLB believes the March agreement allows them to unilaterally begin the season at the prorated salaries. If I was reading correctly, those making at/near the minimum will end up making very little(by pro athlete standards) under a drastically shortened season because of the advance from that deal.

It's tough to see how MLB putting that trigger wouldn't lead to a strike when the CBA expires. Longer this drags on, more that I want to see them scrap the season and go for a 45ish day tournament setup... provided things are way safer than they are now.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
The Crawford thing is getting worse

quote:

Former Los Angeles Dodgers star Carl Crawford has been arrested after his former girlfriend accused him of assaulting her during an argument over a man she had begun dating.

An arrest affidavit filed Wednesday by Houston police states that the ballplayer-turned-record producer went to the home of Gabriele Washington on May 8, produced a handgun from which he unloaded the ammunition in her presence, then demanded information on her latest dating relationship.

Washington told investigators Crawford pushed her to the floor, slammed her head against a wall and choked her. Crawford is free on $50,000 bond.

When her year-old daughter walked up, she distracted Crawford, who is her father, and Washington ran to call police. Crawford then fled but followed up with threatening cellphone texts to Washington, according to the affidavit.

A message to his attorney, Rusty Hardin, seeking comment was not returned immediately.

The incident happened a week before a 5-year-old boy and a woman drowned in the backyard pool at Crawford's Houston home.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Bregor posted:

:wrong:

That's just the ownership.

All Cubs, Karen. Yes, even your dad Large Adult Son.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Squall posted:

That's good to know, I think I forgot about that part.

It's part of the current holdup as well because it was structured as an advance. So a 50 game schedule, even at the full prorated rate, means far less than 1/3 of the player's salary.

As noted, though, they don't have to pay back the advance if there are no games.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Do we know what percent of league revenue is in stadium (tickets, concessions, gear, etc) vs out?

No, teams don't release their finances and the Forbes reports are educated guesses.

What we do know is that the league has been picking and choosing what documentation to provide the union to support their claims of losses playing without fans.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The MLBPA has been so poorly run for so long and caved on so much its really not surprising that the owners are trying to push them around again.

Yeah, they completely punted economic issues last negotiation for small quality of life benefits in the last CBA. Agreeing to this poo poo in exchange for changes to FA comp is actually pretty on brand for the union under Clark. Glad to see they're standing firm.

eta:
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1270062679017865218
:tif:

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 8, 2020

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
TINSTAAPP indeed.

I've long thought hockey provides the model here, which is one of those sentences sports fans never say.

Tl;dr: The blend of Juniors, College, and the AHL/ECHL when mixed with Draft and Follow would work well for baseball, I think.

In their teens (graduating high school or before!), kids have the opportunity to sign for an independent league(one with a wider age range than juniors, given the lack of direct physicality--pitching to/hitting off a 28 yearold is a touch different as a teen than meeting one along the boards), go to JuCo or college, or (if drafted) go directly to a minor league team as they do now. If the NCAA would go for it(lolno) they could even get paid for a few years of indyball before hitting college.

Draft proceeds as usual for 18+, but you retain the player's rights through the first 4 years after their class graduates high school (draft and follow). The quirk I'd add, for player benefit, is that players can choose whether/when to enter the draft for the first time. Feel like you're a 15th round pick coming out of high school but will do better after a couple years of college? You can wait to declare. Slotting remains the same.

Once players' classes are 4 years removed from high school, they can be signed as undrafted free agents with essentially zero slot or bonus limits (previously drafted players who do not sign with their drafting teams can only sign for up to the major league minimum). Rule V and minor league FA control clock is modified a bit but starts at the time of drafting. Every team has two minor league affiliates with 30 man rosters. AA ball's equivalent is generally the post-college entry and initial development while AAA remains a mix of advanced development and MLB shuttle squad.

MLB takes part of its savings from MiLB restructuring (also lolno) and diverts it to subsidize a salary floor in some of the Indyball leagues and to expand baseball scholarships to cover at least 50% of total attendance cost for NCAA rosters, broken up as fulls and partials as schools see fit(I believe this is much lower at most schools, but haven't checked in a while).

In theory the hope would be that it reduces collegiate pitcher abuse(by giving players the leverage of leaving for the minors and/or indyball), provides players more opportunity to select a development path that best suits their needs, increases minor leaguer leverage/choice, creates a better local product in most minor markets than the current affiliate system, and saves clubs money and organizational effort.... which I give zero fucks about but it's not as if the MLB would change out of the goodness of its heart.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://twitter.com/kileymcd/status/1272180175845953539

Pour one out for the UDFAs today.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Look for this to be a common refrain from the MLBPA in the coming years:

Via Stark in The Athletic

quote:

But meanwhile, on the other side, many agents and most players are shedding no tears – because they’re not buying what these teams are selling.

Asked what he would do if he were an owner who had borrowed as much as he could afford to borrow, one of the agents quoted earlier replied: “Then sell that big house you built on the corner. You can’t live on that street. Sell it. It’s not my obligation to keep you in it. It’s not your lawn man’s responsibility to keep you in it. These are difficult times. We all have problems. So figure it out. Don’t take it out on the lawn man.”

The crux of that argument is equally hard to dispute. Those owners might not want to sell, but if they do, they’re guaranteed to make a hefty profit. So “when you say you’re losing money, I don’t care,” he said.

“The reason we want our players to get paid is simple,” he went on, “because when their career is done, they’re done. When that player gives back $10 million of his $20 million (in prorated salary this year), that money is gone – forever.”

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I'm still as mystified by this one as the day it happened:

https://youtu.be/zGCxbXUk2Ig

I think the Mauer Jedi grab and Mauer around-the-net are too well known to qualify.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Would love to know the 5.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Sydin posted:

Yes, every extra inning will start with walking the first batter and then, if the runner on second gets to third but doesn't score, loading the bases for the force unless there are already two outs.
Only by the visitors after they failed to score? Home team gets the runner on second too, giving up a single run in the top isn't as big a deal. I'm not convinced teams will be eager to give a free pass to the first batter either, outside of your usual lineup logic of avoiding dangerous bats if they're followed by weaker ones.

I'm not a big fan of starting someone on second but I don't think it's as bad as all that.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

The Glumslinger posted:

So are they gonna be playing in spring summer practice bubbles or are teams gonna be flying across the country for games in empty stadiums?

Last I heard was camp at home, flying across the country for empty stadium games, trade deadline end of August.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

abelwingnut posted:

MORONS

THE loving LOT OF YOU

MORONS
It's cool, after months of lockdown with their partners, players on road trips will obey curfew and ensure the team hotel is only staff, players, and immediate famihahahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Mlb.com posted a list of new rules including NL DH and runner in second in every half inning after the 9th? I thought those were only if the players accepted the proposal?
Both are covered under the health and safety changes the players agreed to, but will not be in force for 2021.