Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

AxGrap posted:

Having a kid was a perfect excuse to rewatch my favorite old shows. Batman the animated series, power rangers, X-Men animated series.

I tried to watch Transformers with my 4yo and she just had a lot of questions I couldn't answer, like, "why is Megatron being mean?" I dunno, characters didn't have motivations in the 80s, he's just a professional rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

sonatinas posted:

my kid asked me why don’t villains get better and she meant, why don’t they get better to win more

I gotta give Megatron this much, he at least builds new soldiers and equipment that persist past the episode, instead of going home empty-handed like a moron every week.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

AxGrap posted:

I'm boning up on the history of music and influences so when he gets into bad music I can thoughtfully explain the roots so he gets into good music accidentally. Literally all bad music has good roots that lasted the test of time.

I'm just gonna post on cspam to ask if my kid's music is good or bad.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Organic Lube User posted:

Found in a coloring book someone gave my daughter, presented for your review...

Looks like Nazi Germany But Animals.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I'm not sure what I would hope to get from a parenting book For Dads. I just read parenting books.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

who else here is currently in the bathroom hiding from a toddler

This is Erie.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

fosborb posted:

re: pregnancy books that go week-by-week. only get ones that use animals for the inevitable fetus size metaphors.

tangerine and grapefruit :nono:

svelte cat and lobster :hai:
My wife made us take pictures with all the fruits, animals would've been way more annoying.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Good soup! posted:

I'm guessing the reason why so many of the OTA PBS kids channels are low quality feeds is to reach as many TVs as possible? HD screens are the norm now but I guess there's not much of a point to watching Wild Kratts in 4k, plus you can stream your local channel via the PBS Kids in full HD if needed

It's there such a thing as a TV that can receive digital signals but not if they're hd?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

B-Rock452 posted:

I posted it a few pages back but my oldest (3) took the keys to my work car (that also had an entry fob) because she wanted to "go to the store for chips" and it took me over two weeks to find them (bottom of the diaper bag)

Two weeks of putting every box and bag in the house into the car and trying to start it.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Tzen posted:

the truth
my oldest was ran through the gauntlet of nanny care until daycare their whole life, with us getting sick with something on a bi-weekly basis. the youngest has avoided all daycare and we've saved $2k a month on daycare due to covid, all while none of us got sick with anything, it's been one of the few positives during the pandemic

All the money I saved in daycare is gonna be spent on my resulting therapy.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Since all in person stuff is shut down my wife and I are doing some of the online classes from the mayo clinic to at least do something to prep and that's definitely a screenshot from the 'caring for a newborn' class I just took last weekend, it also made me wtf.

Yeah this is absolutely a thing you should do, some day you'll do dropoff on your way to work except forgetfully drive your normal route to work, and hopefully you're not too much of a new parent zombie to miss the kid as you're getting out of the car.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I gave my kids some worksheets.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

B-Rock452 posted:

God my youngest had raisins in her poop a few days ago and I was frantically calling my wife since it looked like dark blood clots.

We were frantically googling green toes until we realized baby had done some painting at day care.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Anybody else looking at covid stats and letting their dreams of sending the kids to school die?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Insanite posted:

currently betting on this. it’s probable that my under-5yo won’t be able to get vaxxed until a bit after older kids, but going completely back to normal without anything for 5-12yos while delta or worse is around is going to mean a lot of dead and disabled kids.

Yeah I'm basically left hoping that Delta kills so many other people's kids that schools are forced to keep mine safe. Wooo.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I like that I can tell how lovely a parent I've been on a given day by looking at my phone's remaining battery charge.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

U-DO Burger posted:

kids are blameless, don't wish harm on them wtf

I'm not wishing harm on them, I'm saying the best case scenario is that when a bunch of kids inevitably die for capitalism mine aren't among them.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

My 6 year old was able to explain to her grandparents today that the American Revolution was a war to preserve slavery.

:feelsgood:

That doesn't sound exactly right but I'll let it slide.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

HiHo ChiRho posted:

It was for the southern states, at least.

I'm sure it was a thing, but broadly speaking my understanding was that the south wasn't really even that enthusiastic about the war initially and had to be bullied into it by northern merchants.

The result of the war was to perpetuate slavery, obviously.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I guess I was thinking more of Georgia. I forget how important Virginia was to colonial American politics.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Wrong thread

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

My kid loves Pokemon, just like I did, but now as an adult I have all these questions about it, like:

"Why is it okay to kidnap the animals and remove them from their habitats?"

"Why do they have to fight each other? How is this different from a show/game where teenagers take dogs from people's yards and then make them fight?"

My kid is always the one asking questions like this about my old favorites and I don't have an answer besides "uh I never thought about it".

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

i can't wait until my kids are old enough to play paradox games :twisted:

I've shown my preK kids a few sim-type games, let them drive a train or plan a city and follow the fire trucks. The only actual games they've played are Pokemon and Crono Trigger. Pokemon because it was a segue to bug hunting, Crono because it's awesome.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Elissimpark posted:

For the love of god child, its DI-PLOD-I-CUS not DIP-LOW-DOKE-US!

On the other hand, she's mastered micropachycephalosaurus, so I guess its a draw.

I was so proud of my 4yo when she couldn't remember a dinosaur's name, so she went and looked it up in her talking dino book.:3:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Dolphin posted:

i don't have a kid but i have a dog which is basically the same thing.

well, not exactly the same, my dog is cuter and smarter than your hideous idiot kid.

My kid poops in the potty sometimes.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I don't mind when baby finishes eating and throws the rest of his food on the floor. But he's been throwing 90% on the floor, eating the last bit and looking around for more, and it's driving me crazy.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Taima posted:

I'm no expert but cspam does not feel like an appropriate place to have a parent thread.

I have absolutely no dog in this fight for the record, but also don't understand why someone woke up and was like "you know what C-Spam needs? A parent thread!"

There's a very good and very active parenting thread in A/T for example without any of the conflict and negativity/viewpoints of the average poster that comes here.

I figured it was so we could bitch about Paw Patrol.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
My 5yo was excited to see Purple Moonflowers in the yard. I asked her where she learned that name.

:rolleyes: "Daddy, I learn everything from TV!"

So pandemic homeschooling is going well.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yeah every time I get to that page I'm grinning because I'm trying not to laugh at the mom driving across town with a ladder strapped to the top of her station wagon

This is gonna be me.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
We basically didn't allow our preK kids to watch TV regularly, but started doing an hour daily when COVID happened.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Elissimpark posted:

So is kindergarten proper school, or just school lite there?

My 5yo is in kindergarten, but starts prep next year (it goes prep, 1-6 for primary school here in Australia, then 7-12 for secondary), with prep being 'proper' school.

It's as proper as anything else. Even preschool tends to teach letters and numbers etc.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Organic Lube User posted:

Why is anyone even planning on in person school being a thing in a month? Lol. Lmao.

silvergoose posted:

...but the social interaction is really really good and helpful especially for speech delayed kids.

Having said that, I'm flip flopping daily on whether to skip school in a week.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

skewetoo posted:

Thinking I'm going to call mine away first week of school by which there should be enough breakouts to force a closure (maybe lol)

I'm not quite that optimistic but maybe I'll at least have more information after labor day. Assuming the data is presented honestly and that anyone is testing their kids.

Edit: on the other hand the first week might be the least diseased all year... *sigh*

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Vyacheslav posted:

Hey parent goons. I'm about to have my first kid, and have to decide whether or not to circumcise him. I'm inclined not to, but I'm curious if there are any arguments for it that hold water.

The doctor said to do it so I did. :shrug:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I'm really feeling the COVID and RPG chat, totally my jam. My kindergartner is only in school because of the mask mandate plus HVAC upgrade and she's coming out at a moment's notice if things worsen. I wouldn't send her at all if we hadn't done such a bad job socializing and teaching her the past year.

meanolmrcloud posted:

we loved the name Ida, and then 8 months and one day after she was born, the storm almost destroyed an American city. at least it wasn’t as bad as Katrina, but it was odd hearing that name all last weekend on the news!

Must've been a trip, cleaning some diarrhea/vomit explosion while listening to the news about the wreckage from Ida lol.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

drat if I was an adult and found out I had a free space I would populate it ASAP. something like Chungus or Wolverine

You can change your name as an adult.. You have infinity free spaces.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

yeah but that's inconvenient as heck.

Is adding a second middle name any harder than adding a first one? Is any amount of work not worthwhile to achieve your dream of having the name Bonerhitler?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
We were lucky and miscarried around week 12-13.

Edit: Using "we" loosely.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

brugroffil posted:

Lol if your back to school supplies didn't include a pile of binax now tests

I hardly believe I could administer the test to my kindergartner or her little brother with better than 80% accuracy, which basically means it wouldn't change my behavior, so why bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

man i do not know how people manage without a support network,

Since my parents are unavailable due to the pandemic we basically just pray for death.