Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
there was a lovely game at pax that did that. some ripped dude in fatigues with the sleeves torn off it was cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i still have my viera zt60 plasma. not really sure what it'll take to replace it.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
someone post that graph of how close you have to sit to notice the difference between 1080p and 4k. i assume all the models are still chasing resolution over nice hdr contrast and reduced blur etc etc.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
are you talking dithering or something cuz i don't see how gamut and pixel count could be related.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
going by your posts your rice must be perfectly white and empty

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I think the new nvidia 3d nuclear gamer X founders edition takes something nuts like 4 pci slots up because it's so god drat big

I mean I thought my 1070ti was big but this poo poo is insane

And then you've got the xbox x which I assume is essentially just a gpu in a box now

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

psiox posted:

oof, what a gutpunch

but having long hair in pandemic helltimes is just so convenient

it's not slovenly, is rakish!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
netscape navigator still truckin

https://twitter.com/paulmaunders/status/1343143578147684357

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i think mine started in the myth:tfl chatrooms & clan forums. emoticons, flaming, trolling, camaraderie. definitely a good place to come up

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
there's a guy i see while walking the dog most days now who always has a discman in one hand and 3 jewel cases in the other. he is crazy obese and has a backwards bluejays cap and oakley's and i love it.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

eschaton posted:

floating point accelerators

not units, these were not part of the instruction set like a floating point unit—or coprocessor as they were originally called, as they weren’t integrated physically into the main CPU

no, floating point accelerators were peripherals you used to perform floating point operations

so you’d have a library or in-line assembly macros to call the thing, and you might even have to arbitrate which process has access to it (depending on its degree of OS integration) and it was enough of a pain that it would only end used by Important Applications (and maybe locally compiled software)

and typically it would be implemented as a board or board set about the size of your main CPU’s board or board set

hell yeah starfox ruled

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i gave away a perfect flat 27" trinitron on my move before last and really regret it now.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
:rackem:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
don't doxx bizarro undevorced jonny

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
zip disks and zip drives with 100 failure rate

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

polyester concept posted:

i remember it taking like 3 days to download the q3a demo on 33.3 which was like 80 MB. that was certainly some funny tech poo poo i just remembered.

same but the 12.6mb worms demo, with multiplayer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
congrats intel you did it, you made a 10nm intel desktop chip. 1st new process since skylake in tyool 2015. tick toooooooooooooock as they say. keep it up!