Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
like it's pretty well known that when you go to a show and it sucks that you have to boo. and if it's particularly bad and you live over a hundred years ago you have to throw rotten poo poo at the entertainer to let them know that they suck rear end. it begs the question though, where did all the rotten fruit and veggies come from? did they bring them to the show? like in their pockets? did they know the show was going to suck or did they just bring it in case it did suck? was it what they were planning to eat because they were poor but then decided the show was bad enough that they didn't need dinner that day?

i am very confused about this whole situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

Uncultured swine, they sell rotten produce at the theater like an adams family farmers market. Have you never been to a play?

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Yes, the insult is bolstered by the target's knowledge that the rotten fruit had to be stored and delt with for perhaps weeks, specifically to throw at YOU. It's a pretty sick burn.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
iirc elizabethian theater basically had a moshpit where poor people ("groundlings") could get in for a penny. they had a reputation for being rowdy (shakespeare had a lot of fart and dick jokes to keep them happy)
vendors sold food outside (or possibly in the theater by an unknown mechanism), so they could snack during the boring parts
it was rumored that they'd throw the food when they were bored but for some reason it's really hard to find a source
it was rotten because ice wouldn't become a mass market commodity for another 200 years. no j/k idk where the rotten part came from

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yes. in olden times, people would bring rotten fruit to throw at the stocks

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I generally forgot what we were arguing about.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
i was there giving out the fruit

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Putty posted:

i was there giving out the fruit

gently caress you putty

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:wink:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Nowadays we just throw batteries

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1redflag posted:

Nowadays we just throw batteries

Hmm you ain't all Philadelphia Eagles fans.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
They kept it tied to their belt. It was the style at the time.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Well what were they SUPPOSED to throw, OP? HAMS?! Oh sure mister money bags lets all just parade down to the theatre in our gilded ham carriages pulled by our team of white horses and have our servants launch our finest cured meats upon the players.
Hams. Honest to god, OP. Where the gently caress do you get off with this poo poo? That's perfectly good ham, I'm not throwing it at those men because their transvesticistic frivolities don't live up to your ever so high standards. Good lord.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

all fruits and vegetables were rotten back then. people just ate them anyway. explosive diarrhea was commonplace but tbh you didn't want to spend any more time in the outhouse than you had to, so having the shits fly out of you as fast as possible was quite beneficial.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Big Beef City posted:

Well what were they SUPPOSED to throw, OP? HAMS?! Oh sure mister money bags lets all just parade down to the theatre in our gilded ham carriages pulled by our team of white horses and have our servants launch our finest cured meats upon the players.
Hams. Honest to god, OP. Where the gently caress do you get off with this poo poo? That's perfectly good ham, I'm not throwing it at those men because their transvesticistic frivolities don't live up to your ever so high standards. Good lord.

I would throw a ham if the show was good

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

You would.

...You would.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Ah yes, the old slam ham. A particularly well thrown one of appreciation knocked Romeo right out, just after the balcony scene. Masterful performance up until that point.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Just :hmbol: if you don't just have Enrique throw some of your leftover venison for you.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

They call me....the Mutton Malice

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Universe Master posted:

Ah yes, the old slam ham. A particularly well thrown one of appreciation knocked Romeo right out, just after the balcony scene. Masterful performance up until that point.

They still hunted whales in those days for whale oil and what not, right?

Throw a big ole piece of whale blubber on stage. Slam whale!

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i would definitely throw a ham or two. maybe a rotisserie chicken

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

You ate dinner, went to the Theatre Show, if you didn't like it, baby-bird it out of your mouth, bing bang boom, throw it at the stage.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I'm pretty sure this is what's known as a metaphor and people never actually did this. Hth op

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

bradzilla posted:

I'm pretty sure this is what's known as a metaphor and people never actually did this. Hth op

More like "Oth-HELL-No", liver and onions dinner special straight to ya dome piece!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

you havnt lived until you have thrown a rotten tomato at a bad stage performance

Pickwick High
Aug 4, 2019

They call me Nutse
I woulda brought a rotten squash and knocked the actors the gently caress out

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
We do, yes. Why?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

could you imagine throwing a pumpkin at dane cook?? lmao im imagining it and its really funny.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

Tomatoes were acidic and people thought you would die if you ate them, so throwing them when the show wasn't good was a sign of dislike. Also the term break a leg was because the poor would stare up at the stage and drool if the show was good, and saliva would pool up on stage making it slippery.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i have a question about people thinking tomatoes were poison like why would they bother growing them if they thought they were poison?????? just to huck at people i guess????

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

numberoneposter posted:

could you imagine throwing a pumpkin at dane cook?? lmao im imagining it and its really funny.

I'm imagining someone heaving a large one on stage and it just sorta cracks sadly, and him going all "...the gently caress is THAT" and going to look at it, bending down, and just as he does, someone uses a sling shot to absolutely PELT him with one of those real tiny, decorative ones like right between the eyes or in the crotch. So. Ya. I am now.

e:

numberoneposter posted:

i have a question about people thinking tomatoes were poison like why would they bother growing them if they thought they were poison?????? just to huck at people i guess????

Honest answer, they were grown for decorative purposes, as lots of poisonous plants are today. People weren't wrong about them being poisonous - the green parts of the plants and blossoms ARE actually poisonous (mildly), as they're a member of the nightshade family. Folks just assumed cautiously that would extend to the fruits as well.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 21, 2020

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

numberoneposter posted:

Yes, purely out of a passion for the arts.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Do you think someone ever tried to theatrically kill themselves by eating a tomato?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

who would win in a fight a killer tomato or a killer clown from outer space???

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

numberoneposter posted:

who would win in a fight a killer tomato or a killer clown from outer space???

yo just an fyi neither one of those things is actually real you can rest easy friend

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
in the modern era it really is quite difficult to convince the bouncer that your hucking tomato is a snack

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yes i intend to eat this festering tomato

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

They should bring those back to garden catalogs.
In mine now, I get cherry tomatoes, beefsteaks, slicers, you name it. Not ONE goddamn "chucking" tomato in the whole lot. Where the hell are my West Virginia Tossers and Southern Belle Pelters??

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

numberoneposter posted:

I threw a watermelon at Gallagher and it didn't really pan out like I'd hoped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Dolphin posted:

yes i intend to eat this festering tomato
you could probably pull off the ruse with a very ripe banana and you could probably smoke someone pretty hard with it once its unpeeled without hurting them to bad but still making a gross mess