Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

holttho
May 21, 2007

I am trying to think of an old PC game, it was around the mid-90s and was a sort of puzzle/sneaking game. The graphics light and colorful, and were fairly basic shapes, like everything was constructed out of spheres and cones and prism shapes and it had an isometric view. You were this little guy that had to sneak around trying to rescue people or your wife or something as an evil corporation was trying to turn people into cyborgs or something. While you were sneaking around, all you had was a bouncing ball that you could throw outward to either hit switches/objects or distract enemies. I remember it had fairly early CGI cutscene where the main character could see the whole planet, and the planet had a huge band of mountains all the way around the planet around the equator. I'm pretty sure it had a one-word name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008

holttho posted:

I am trying to think of an old PC game, it was around the mid-90s and was a sort of puzzle/sneaking game. The graphics light and colorful, and were fairly basic shapes, like everything was constructed out of spheres and cones and prism shapes and it had an isometric view. You were this little guy that had to sneak around trying to rescue people or your wife or something as an evil corporation was trying to turn people into cyborgs or something. While you were sneaking around, all you had was a bouncing ball that you could throw outward to either hit switches/objects or distract enemies. I remember it had fairly early CGI cutscene where the main character could see the whole planet, and the planet had a huge band of mountains all the way around the planet around the equator. I'm pretty sure it had a one-word name.

This sounds like Relentless: Twinsen's Adventure/Little Big Adventure.

https://youtu.be/YdTCwx9hAvo

holttho
May 21, 2007

That's it! Thanks!

Graphics are a little smoother than I remembered (I was picturing more a 'Money for Nothing' music video level)

I remember playing it for like a week solid and getting nowhere. But, I was a little kid and that was irrelevant; running around the starting zone bonking enemies with the ball was good enough for me!

Vulgar
Aug 17, 2003

I am the man of la Mancha… my dream is impossible!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

There was also a pc game where you grew creatures that you could send to fight as like an isometric rts. I remember you could grow an organ that was some kind of sonic weapon

I remember a C64 game that sounds vaguely like this, Mail Order Monsters

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Petiso posted:

Old arcade game, shoot'em'up controls and vertical perspective but you controlled people walking on the ground instead of ships. I believe you could choose between characters with different shot spreads and one of them was a guy in blue and a chick in red? I clearly remember one of the bosses was a couple of sumo wrestlers.

Is it ESP Ra.De.?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWFREKxrlAs

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Jinkeez posted:

This sounds like Relentless: Twinsen's Adventure/Little Big Adventure.

https://youtu.be/YdTCwx9hAvo

God, that game was awesome. The "grrrrr!" from angry mode is forever burned into my brain.

Never beat it though, got somewhere on the alien planet where you're in some lava or furnace section and I think I just got overwhelmed by it. Old games are hard.

So, the game I cant remember I've asked about other places but no one has been able to find it because there are a million other games like this. I remember playing it on some ancient computer running Windows 3.1, it may have been included in some pack of games from the time because the machine had lots of different little games (and Skifree!). The game is of course 2d. You are a little guy, you're in these pyramids and you have to get to some keys. I feel like there was some pushing blocks or something involved, but I don't remember exactly. There were snakes though in the stages which were the bad guys you had to avoid (kill? Dont remember if that was possible.)

It is probably a clone of a clone of another game or something. People have always said "is it x?" "is it y?" And it's always something very similar but not quite right. The kind of thing I'd know it when I see it but if asked to recall details I cant remember anything besides what I've said.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
The first thing that springs to mind is Paganitzu.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

BrainDance posted:

So, the game I cant remember I've asked about other places but no one has been able to find it because there are a million other games like this. I remember playing it on some ancient computer running Windows 3.1, it may have been included in some pack of games from the time because the machine had lots of different little games (and Skifree!). The game is of course 2d. You are a little guy, you're in these pyramids and you have to get to some keys. I feel like there was some pushing blocks or something involved, but I don't remember exactly. There were snakes though in the stages which were the bad guys you had to avoid (kill? Dont remember if that was possible.)

It is probably a clone of a clone of another game or something. People have always said "is it x?" "is it y?" And it's always something very similar but not quite right. The kind of thing I'd know it when I see it but if asked to recall details I cant remember anything besides what I've said.

Was it Pyramids of Egypt? You had to collect diamonds though, not coins.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Or this, this sounds a lot more like the game you're after.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I remember it had a sense of gravity that this doesn't seem to have. As in, you couldn't move in 4 directions (maybe, or maybe it was just more tunnels than open space), or at least it was much more claustrophobic, I don't remember any open spaces you could move freely in, just tunnels. More like awkward Mario without scrolling than Chip's Challenge (which was also on that computer).

Dell_Zincht posted:

Was it Pyramids of Egypt? You had to collect diamonds though, not coins.

So, now we're getting to the things I'm not exactly sure about. But this feels so extremely close that it may be it, or at least a version of it. I feel like it's going to be something built for Windows and not DOS though, because I was so young I don't think I would have been able to figure out anything in DOS. And I am pretty sure it didn't have those weird CGA graphics of the time. I also remember the stages being much more pyramid shaped, if that makes sense. Which is weird to say when comparing to a game that literally has "Pyramid" in the name. This is so close though that it might be my nostalgia goggles making the game seem better than it was, and this was actually it. It has to at least be copying this game, though I don't see any keys and I'm like.... maybe 40% sure there were keys involved somehow.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Fps where one of the enemies was a huge 8ball

E: fps but you play as a wizard, may or may not be the same game? 7th corridor or something?

Sounds like you're mixing up Corridor 7's flying eyeball enemy with Catacomb 3-D's wizard protagonist.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

BrainDance posted:

I remember it had a sense of gravity that this doesn't seem to have. As in, you couldn't move in 4 directions (maybe, or maybe it was just more tunnels than open space), or at least it was much more claustrophobic, I don't remember any open spaces you could move freely in, just tunnels. More like awkward Mario without scrolling than Chip's Challenge (which was also on that computer).

So, now we're getting to the things I'm not exactly sure about. But this feels so extremely close that it may be it, or at least a version of it. I feel like it's going to be something built for Windows and not DOS though, because I was so young I don't think I would have been able to figure out anything in DOS. And I am pretty sure it didn't have those weird CGA graphics of the time. I also remember the stages being much more pyramid shaped, if that makes sense. Which is weird to say when comparing to a game that literally has "Pyramid" in the name. This is so close though that it might be my nostalgia goggles making the game seem better than it was, and this was actually it. It has to at least be copying this game, though I don't see any keys and I'm like.... maybe 40% sure there were keys involved somehow.

Was it this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbFJLUwghVY

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Ok, got an obscure one for you. It was a 2D platform game where you flicked between screens in the vein of Jet Set Willy for the Spectrum -- however it was for a different system (though still an 8-bit one). Your character had invented a time machine but it had gone wrong and you needed to go through history collecting the various pieces to make it work. You could go back to the time machine at any time and jump to another period -- there were ten, I think, starting from prehistory and ending at the end of time which was just a single screen with a giant black hole that your character orbited.

I think it was called Wally In Time or Jimmy In Time or something like that.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Whybird posted:

Ok, got an obscure one for you. It was a 2D platform game where you flicked between screens in the vein of Jet Set Willy for the Spectrum -- however it was for a different system (though still an 8-bit one). Your character had invented a time machine but it had gone wrong and you needed to go through history collecting the various pieces to make it work. You could go back to the time machine at any time and jump to another period -- there were ten, I think, starting from prehistory and ending at the end of time which was just a single screen with a giant black hole that your character orbited.

I think it was called Wally In Time or Jimmy In Time or something like that.

Roland in Time.

MarioOnTheComputer
Feb 5, 2002

Vulgar posted:

I remember a C64 game that sounds vaguely like this, Mail Order Monsters

I thought this too, I had this game. Apparently it was only released on C64 and Atari PCs.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

THE BAR posted:

Sounds like you're mixing up Corridor 7's flying eyeball enemy with Catacomb 3-D's wizard protagonist.

Maaybe, probably I somehow had both of those, but I also know 100% that there was a game from a similar era that had literally giant 8balls as enemies because I remember them doing a gently caress ton of damage and maybe pushing you around, and they were almost or actually impossible to kill. Kept getting murdered having to go past a hallway where they were big enough to fill the whole hall and were coming towards you

Also I had the second twinsen game and never beat it. I remember installing it after we got a new computer with a different sound card and being kind of sad that the music wasn't the same. It was blatantly better midi hardware samples or whatever and it totally changed the instruments, radically.

Man I had a bunch of goofy games that came on floppy, too. One was a tank game that was fun as hell (of which there were ten million so basically no hope finding it) and one was some kind of competitive puzzle game where you had a grid of blocks and could do stuff like put down acid or this purple foam stuff.

Also I wanna say there was one that was something like kai's power goo but that was a program that was basically like one Photoshop tool, the kai I'm thinking of you played as a green ball navigating puzzle mazes. Maybe this one was already mentioned?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

While I don't have a game I cannot identify, this thread spurred me to look up a game I barely remembered.

The only clue I remembered was "Top-down space shooter where you hunted for computer icons from your own machine."

Answer? Operation: Inner Space.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
2D platformer, either DOS or Windows, played in the early 2000s.

Pixel art or sprite based, where you played as a mailman and you could walk on the overhead power lines.

e: I think its title started with a B.

Max Coveri fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 9, 2020

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

There was also a pc game where you grew creatures that you could send to fight as like an isometric rts. I remember you could grow an organ that was some kind of sonic weapon

Was it Impossible Creatures?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
nah, it's a similar concept but the camera was locked to isometric and I don't think it was 3d at all, at most prerendered. Also the parts weren't normal animal parts, it was like 100% mutant alien stuff

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

nah, it's a similar concept but the camera was locked to isometric and I don't think it was 3d at all, at most prerendered. Also the parts weren't normal animal parts, it was like 100% mutant alien stuff

Was it Genewars: A Peter Molyneux Joint?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Mordja posted:

Was it Genewars: A Peter Molyneux Joint?

This was going to be my second guess, yeah.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
based on screenshots, nah. I remember the creatures as being proportionally bigger compared to the screen size and there were no humans or anything like that.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I don't have much info since it's a game I never played myself but saw articles about and got really interested in.

Game released sometime in 00s(?), SF setting, adventure/survival horror(?). It was about 3 survivors on some space ship/base that had most of the crew killed by some kind of virus released on board. The gimmick was that while you needed the skills of all three, each of them was infected with a different strain of the virus and if two ever met the virus would kill them both.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I have a vague memory of a game that came on one of those shareware collection CDs. It was all about these pyramids or something, and the different colors had different AI and effects and you had to do... something. I think it was a vaguely isometric views and had quite a few levels, might have all been square-shaped levels.

Anyone got any idea what I'm talking about? :v:

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Some DOS-era platformer I played very briefly at a friends house once. 256 color graphics.

There was a brief intro sequence with a ship flying overhead and an astronaut (our protagonist) falling towards the surface in what looked like the NASA "space chair" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manned_Maneuvering_Unit).

No text, so I don't know if you're on a mission or crash-landed on a hostile planet.

The first level was flying through a cave shooting various tiny things. (IIRC the cave wall were blue/purple).

Also, there was a stalacite at one point. Just one. Can't remember if you had to shoot it before flying under it or something, but I'm pretty sure I died there a lot.

Eventually I managed to stumble my way to level 2, where you left the chair and started walking around with a gun, fighting some green-ish hobo looking aliens. I have a pretty clear memory of the player sprite having brown boots, but no feet - so he looked like he had peg legs. There were some platforms visible above you, but you couldn't jump anywhere near that high. You had some kind of grappling hook (depicted) that could shoot straight up, but it wouldn't attach to any of the platforms except one at the other end of the level (and I don't remember that one looking any different than the others).

On a platform right right above the one I could finally grapple onto, there was some kind of...veiny egg sac that released a flying pterodactyl-looking alien when I got close, which killed me pretty much instantly. I might have had very low health at this point - you could take multiple hits, but I don't remember any life indicator (or any HUD at all, come to think of it).

When you died, there was a brief animation of blood spurting through a hole in your spacesuit. It looked kinda silly.

After dying to the bird thing I was apparently out of lives and had to start at the first level again (I'm pretty sure I restarted the second level at least once, so I don't think it was a "one life, gently caress you" game). At that point I said gently caress it and tried playing something else.

I've tried searching a bit, but "early 90's platformer with astronaut protagonist" is not a narrow search term.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I remember playing this freeware PC puzzle game that was popular on these forums like 12 years ago (mid, maybe late 2000s?). It seemed to be japanese (but had some english text), was probably made by one guy, just a single executable. The game had gameplay similar to candy crush but the aesthetic was different, more metal and explosions and stuff instead of candy. There was a time based element, which I think made blocks blow up if you were too slow, and you could eventually lose from that.

I remember it being fun, and not much else about it. I wish I could go back and play it for a bit, but everything I said was too vague to go and search this.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Mordja posted:

Early 2000s or late 90s PC game that I only played a demo of on my divorced dad's laptop when he came to visit. You flew a hovercar around a futuristic city (think Bladerunner) doing random missions, and I think a lot of them were just taxi jobs. Sometimes you'd get attacked by random assholes and I believe your car could get guns and rockets to defend itself with. It didn't really play like a flight sim at all, in fact I think you were locked to a single plane so no, it's not Hardwar. What stood out for me was that there was a lot of AI traffic just flying around, probably my first experience with such a populated world. Fully 3D graphics with a dark & neon cyberpunk atmosphere. Like I said though, I only ever played the demo so who knows how it opened up.

I didn't see a definitive confirmation yet so I'm gonna guess Jump Raven. My dad got it for our first "multimedia PC" in like '94. You play in a dystopian post-Clinton (Hillary) future, and rescue endangered species I think? One of the main characters is a descendant of Rush Limbaugh. Wanted to post it because it's so bizarre, and I don't think I've ever seen it mentioned here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A53aOrGmiw

Edit: doesn't have the ai traffic you describe, and it's pre-rendered 3D, but I think it's still worth posting.

azurite fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 25, 2020

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

This memory keeps bugging me, so: Arcade sidescroller that is cowboy themed(?, at least the first stage and I think the characters/enemies). Nice, detailed sprites. You can break barrels.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
Is it Sunset Riders?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDi1DpDS4zk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1eNW7GG_Q8

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Oh hell yeah. Thanks!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
http://burymewithmymoney.com/

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Pierzak posted:

I don't have much info since it's a game I never played myself but saw articles about and got really interested in.

Game released sometime in 00s(?), SF setting, adventure/survival horror(?). It was about 3 survivors on some space ship/base that had most of the crew killed by some kind of virus released on board. The gimmick was that while you needed the skills of all three, each of them was infected with a different strain of the virus and if two ever met the virus would kill them both.

Since no one has answered this one yet, you're thinking of Martian Gothic: Unification.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I want to make sure that a very particular version of SimCity 2000 actually exists.

A friend bought the game in like 1995 or 1996, and it came on a bunch of 3.5" floppies. As in, at least eight or ten disks, and in my (possibly incorrect) memory closer to twenty. We spent an entire afternoon installing the game and I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. My family was too poor to afford a computer so the install process seemed magical, like computers could do anything.

The base game only came on two disks so I'm guessing this was a weird floppy release of the Special edition. I wish I could find a photo of that ridiculous pile of disks.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

That's super weird, 10-20 diskettes would put it at like 14-30MB, wouldn't it?`
(Checking the GOG version it's like ~80-90MB installed, ignoring the dosbox runtime. Stripping away the scenarios and pre-loaded cities only knocks off like 20MB)

Even with say, the Urban renewal kit, and the Scenario kit it would just be like 4-5 diskettes. If you just look at the diskette-based releases.
As I understand it, the CD Collection and Special Edition were only out on CDs, officially.

Maybe it was an unofficial thing with some bonus scenarios? Or even just them having saved some savegames and scenarios to diskette?
Or some kind of pirated rip version with some of the Special Edition features like sound, but not the Will-TV movies?
The only other alternative I can think of is again, if somehow your friend had a unofficial print of the game on like.. single layer diskettes, but those were ancient long long before this timeframe.
But that would make the diskette to game ratio make sense, size wise.

Back in Mongolia when you went out and bought a game you'd basically always get pirated versions instead of genuine ones. Is it possible your friend ended up with some kind of unofficial rip of the game?
(I remember one store sold movies and some games by having you select them, then coming back once they'd burned them to disk for you. :allears: This being 1998-2000 )

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
It was definitely official (or a really good fake), because he had the full box, manuals, etc. and all the disks had sharp, glossy labels that looked correct.

I'll reach out to some people who worked at Maxis at the time to see if this rings any bells. Might make for a fun/weird article.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Kurui Reiten posted:

Since no one has answered this one yet, you're thinking of Martian Gothic: Unification.
Thanks! Though it seems I've misremembered how the game looks :cripes:

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Nostalgamus posted:

Some DOS-era platformer I played very briefly at a friends house once. 256 color graphics.

There was a brief intro sequence with a ship flying overhead and an astronaut (our protagonist) falling towards the surface in what looked like the NASA "space chair" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manned_Maneuvering_Unit).

No text, so I don't know if you're on a mission or crash-landed on a hostile planet.

This is Phylox https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8hSU223yYI
Had it on a shareware disk when I was a kid and always thought it seemed cool although it definitely looks very clunky now.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I like how he can both moonwalk and shoot out of his rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Here's only that probably isn't possible at all but worth a shot: This would have been around the early 90s, NES- or SNES-level technology. The console itself was probably entirely bootlegged and had a bunch of weird games on it. One was a 2D side-scroller where you played as a baby in some kind of candy-land-styled levels, but the main one I remember was very similar to Super Mario Brothers 3, except it had walljumps and the overworld had some kind of UFO on it you could fly around in to skip levels. I think both of them were weird Mario bootlegs because I remember them being very cheap-feeling and janky as hell.

Is there a website you can use to hunt down old games the way subreddits find you porn? Because this has been bothering me on and off for a decade.