Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
It sounds more like SkyRoads to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Dell_Zincht posted:

Prop Cycle.

It was by Namco and actually pre-dated the Dreamcast!
Wow

Thank you for answering my own "games you barely remember" question that I had not even asked because it would have been too dumb: "does anyone remember an arcade game where there was a character named like 'Zizzi' and a really annoying character talked to him in a cutscene?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWyBVh62O-g&t=94s

(misheard by a friend in our loud arcade as "Zizy! I'm pregnant!" which needless to say got repeated about a thousand times as an inside joke)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
BlueHeron is clearly also Brilltoid.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Do you dig holes like Lode Runner? I just saw a game that immediately reminded me of Lode Runner in some retro computer video I watched the other day and I would go looking if so.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I bought Dark Legions immediately upon playing it two-player at my buddy's house, because the concept was fantastic, but it definitely needed the "fog of war" of modem play to really work (hard to surprise someone with traps when you could just watch them being placed).

I never played it again. Truly the greatest gaming tragedy of all time

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
What in the world, I would have been all about this game back in the day, and it is just one of at least three games in the same style according to MobyGames.

Is this as obscure as it seems to me, or did I just somehow miss this corner of the shareware market in 1992?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Why does the ending screen hype up Ultima 3-D and 4 [sic] -P?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I think part of why System Shock 2 still holds up is because that bit of Shodan's dialogue is still terrifying 20+ years later, as we grow closer to an actual machine saying it to us

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Wow, there was a home port of that insanely rare laserdisc game "Freedom Fighters," and it even played a little differently, considering "nice kid like you oughta be at a ball game!" never occurred in that opening scene, which was the most memorable part of the intro level for me.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Hahahah, Mutant Fighter. The sparse and awkward snippets of character taunts from that game became catchphrases for my friend group. Some of them lingered for years. I bet it was a solid decade until all of us stopped saying FEEL THE AUTHORITY OF MY HORNS! for good

Also thank you for that nostalgia as Mutant Fighter was the only fighting game I was ever good enough at to be fairly confident I would beat most anyone playing me, likely both because it was not popular enough to attract many adherents and my own delight in the awfulness of its voice acting kept me playing far more than made any sense

Edit: Hahaha went and watched a collection of the super moves and I STILL think "YOU ARE A BUG TO ME!" sometimes and had long since forgotten where the hell that quote even came from.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 26, 2021

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Pyroclastic posted:

The art and animation in the intro to this game and its music seem incredibly familiar to me, but I'm sure I've never played Zone 66 or even heard of it before. I can't get any other impressions of what game it might have been, just that it had a similar sequence, particularly the bit where the hero is running with a side view of his face.
Did I just see this intro somewhere 25 years ago, or is there actually another game it's invoking?
Meanwhile I have never heard of Zone 66 and the art and animation are completely unfamiliar but I also feel like that song is very familiar. But for me song theft was fairly common in the Demoscene so that could explain it on my end if someone else stole that hook (or I suppose if that musician did)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Schwarzwald posted:

Early Epic Megagames employed a lot of demoscene composers.
That makes a lot of sense. And validates my belief in 1992 that this was clearly the future of computer music and I could totally get a job writing songs. Since it is still 1995, I expect the landline to ring offering me a contract gig for Origin any day now.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I remember feeling like that warning was crafted just for me and my friends after we played the first game multiplayer at a LAN party for a few days straight and generated the timeless exchange

"We should probably think about getting food sometime soon."
"We have to eat in this game?"
"I mean in real life."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
For about 5 minutes that would feel like the most fun game ever