Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Pinwiz11 posted:

It's the automated messages from Chicago's transit trains, specifically the line that stops right outside the club (Berlin).

Missed being able to respond to this last thread: I am now waiting for a DC Queen to perform a number to the phrase "this is a 7000 series train"

Pinwiz11 posted:

Jackie Cox
New York City, New York

[pleasant bing sound] Hi! I'm Jackie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Pointed, even.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Ru has been desperately trying to shoehorn a big queen into the crown for like 5 years now and every single time something ruins that plan and it'd be hilarious if it wasn't so frustrating.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Dahlia Sin reminds me of all these young girls who worked with me at my old job: Extremely recently out of school, where they were popular, and thus had an easy time of it. They think that being pretty is the ultimate goal in life, and that's the only goal they have in life. No personality beyond looks, aside from being way too overconfident. When something even slightly doesn't go their way, they get huffy and upset, because they're not used to any of their peers saying "no" without making it into some huge drama.
Is that reading really deep into it? Yeah probably, but I've worked with so many girls who fit this exact description and Dahlia's body language and everything she said is near identical to how they act.

Anyway Heidi was robbed, and if Aiden stays much longer that black pussycat wig is gonna have more screentime this season than Redacted.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Remember when there was a Divine challenge that had a song about wanting to eat poo poo off the ground?
But yeah a fart joke is too crass.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

I am here for this Sherry Pie edit where she is basically relegated to "so what are you doing?" and nothing else.
Ross' pun game is insanity this week, I don't think I've ever heard him make more puns more rapidly.

esperterra posted:

I was more than happy with Gigi winning. Either her or Jaida were 100% the right pick.
Echoing this, they both did excellent.

And then I watched the rest of the episode and jesus loving christ how was Aiden safe instead of bottom 2. In what way was that performance worthy of safe? Rock M didn't do good but the hair from that first look and the beat in general should have let her scrape by.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

I've said it before and I'll say it until it stops being relevant: These comedy challenges need to be judged differently because the ESL queens are always at a disadvantage. Whether it's Puerto Rican queens with Spanish, Mercedes (oppalenz aside, the performance in that challenge wasn't super good) or Nicky this time with French. There's a buffering time that doesn't quite allow for quick witted improv/ad-libbing, AND it's a lot more difficult to understand a joke in another language, and even if you do understand it, it's hard to know where the emphasis needs to go, leading to weird deliveries. Either the challenges need to change to let that buffering time work, or these queens need softer grading than others.

Now, granted, Nicky's bottom placement was deserved this time. She could have really played up the French baby schtick once it started getting laughs from Carson. Hell, go full "hon hon baguette eiffel tower" baby with mime paint and a beret, lord knows Ru loves a stereotype (not to mention emphasizing the juxtaposition with that french rear end baby and Widow's character) The scripted lines though, would still have been rough.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

I love that they are still employing that shady rear end cameraman, zooming in on Aiden's contacts spinning out of alignment (they aren't toric????)
I think they're giving [REDACTED] a limited amount of screentime per episode, and having a runway would have pushed her over.

Ironically, a very lukewarm lipsync. :rimshot: Though I am surprised Disney "our gay representation is an adlib blink-and-youll-miss-it singular voice line" Corporation let Drag Race of all things use their most iconic song of the last few decades.
I am biased because Same Identity, but Gigi Goode for the crown, gently caress all these other hoes. (heidi also)

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

I hope this is gonna be like the Coco Montrese dorito thing where, if she knows what's good for her, she'll lean into the broccoli thing without making it the ONLY joke she tells.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Jan absolutely should have won that.

I figured out what bothers me the most about [REDACTED]'s makeup. It's a combo of the complete lack of depth in the paint (chubby faces have that issue but it is able to be overcome with proper contouring, which she hasn't done) and the construction paper-rear end lashes. Light hits that beat so much harsher than everyone else.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

The problem with Gigi's ad was that the dry humor wasn't delivered in a way that made it obvious it was humor. The deliveries were clunky and oddly cadenced, with no change in facial expression. It was like a text to speech robot did it. There were quite a few jokes in there that I really liked tbh but it just...wasn't said funny.
It's what her Sophia would have been if she was a failure in Snatch Game.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Nihonniboku posted:

The word celebrity is being used pretty loving liberally in Celebrity Drag Race.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

I like Gigi's fashion but I think I'm falling out of love for her as winner. I've shifted gears over to Heidi, with Jaida and Jackie tied for Lovely Alternate.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

I'm watching Season 3 with a friend who hasn't seen anything prior to season 9 or 10, and there's a couple things that noticeably stand out at me.
First off everyone is so loving bitchy and unafraid to be mean and nasty at other queens, I'd almost forgotten how rapidly they descended on Shangela and Mimi like sharks in the water. With the actual prize nowadays being the instant fanbase that comes with the show I don't think we'll ever see queens be outright mean again.
It's also nuts seeing how much Ru seems to actually like, care about what's going on. I didn't realize how much I'd missed Mathu's hair and makeup on him, also. He has a real hairline that doesn't make it look like he's standing in front of a wig that's being puppeted from up in the rafters!
This post brought to you by Absolut vodka. :wink:

I don't know where to find Untucked for these old seasons, so we're just watching the "best of" scenes that I can remember as the episodes would have come up, like Shangela's sugar daddy rant.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

He's in the UK so all of Drag Race is on Netflix, but it doesn't have Untucked. (we're watching it via discord screen sharing) Once we get to season 7 we can watch it all on Youtube, since those are still uploaded on WOWPresents, so it's just 3-6 that I need to find.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

My friend and I were mezmerized by Crystal's neon green shoes and watching it it was like this, approximately

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

esperterra posted:

When was the last time we had a season without a double shantay? 8?

Seasons 1, 2, and 8 are the only ones without a double shantay. You can count 4 and 9 due to the unrelated disqualification of a different, otherwise safe contestant. (Willam and Eureka O'Hara respectively)

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

gandlethorpe posted:

Please let her win without winning a maxi-challenge

She Roxxxy and Latrices her way to the final episode then murders everyone in the lipsync.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Ru has been trying to push for a big queen win since season 7, and every single one of them has hosed it up somehow. I think Trev R. Project was given a free ride of sorts that ended up backfiring (Like Ginger, and like Eureka twice, and Silky).

Fritz the Horse posted:

I think this is evidence for just how strongly the editing can influence our perception of a queen's performance.

Also this

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Of all the people in this world, I think Drag Race fans have the least amount of room to judge someone over what celebrities they like.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

I am 100% loving shocked that nobody imitated Aiden's "boo!" when they were all booting that fuzzy referee corset. The joke was right there!

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

My friend and I are making steady headway through the old seasons of drag race, we're about halfway through season 4 now and I'm starting to wonder: Outside of main episodes and the occasional iconic Untucked (it's kind of a pain to watch Untucked so we're not watching all of them) what extracurricular videos should we be watching? I know once we hit season 6's top 3 I'm gonna show him Mean Gays, and I am absolutely going to watch those Katya videos from season 7 (and UNHhhh, segmented into post season 7, post AS2, and post AS3) but I don't remember anything else off the top of my head that came out around the seasons and was relevant to the queens.
I am reading him Willam's tweet about all the behind the scenes poo poo from Season 4 as the bits become relevant, also.

EDIT: Kelly Mantle's "dont you know who i think i am" how could I forget about that one

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

I watched them when I went through the show a second time a few years back, and I'm not gonna lie I like the new Untucked format more. It feels less...manufactured somehow? It's a reality show so obviously it's still fake as hell a lot of the time, and I do miss the two rooms that let people talk poo poo without everyone hear it. All the constant fighting gets kind of tiring, also.
Besides, I'm using a Hulu account that's shared between...9? people including myself and there are times where I just straight up can't watch it because of the screen limit lol.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

The subtitles on Drag Race are hit and miss.
Take for instance, "Jesus is a biscuit!-"

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

I'm not gonna lie, I am unreasonably excited for Derrick. Morbidly curious to see if he's changed at all.
Generally a lot of the differences in a queen's ability from their main season to All Stars can be attributed to the boost in income, notoriety, and consistent booking that getting a spot lands you, but Derrick arguably had all 3 of those beforehand? I'm also really interested in mariah because she was kinda fuckin' boring in season 3. Same with India.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Derrick is a celebrity impersonator, that's what he wants to do (and he does it fairly loving well) and given what drag is I don't know why they harp on him so much for it. (well, i do, but i'm still upset about it :colbert: ) He's never gonna do well on Drag Race, despite how much he seemingly seeks the validation from it.

blizzardvizard posted:

Also I suppose we're gonna get alternating bottom 2 and bottom 3 to prevent a tie situation? But that doesn't work when we're at 7 queens

You know, it's the strangest thing! Not one tie across the whole season! Not even once! [sounds of WoW hastily trying to DMCA a tweet with leaked footage of an extra "ongina" lipstick being slipped into the box by bailey]

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

She already doesn't do after-show meet and greets, etc, because she prioritizes putting on a good show for everyone in the audience over stressing her body out further to provide extras to a few.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

The season 2 mini challenge where they fed the queens fried cow brain and someone threw up

That's why they've never had to eat anything on the show ever again

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

My friend and I are still watching through Drag Race and we got to the Season 6 episode with the drag weddings. I haven't seen this episode in years, and I lived in Bumfuck Nowhere, Maryland the last time I saw it. Now I live in Rochester, NY, and I get to both understand Darienne Lake's drag name, and be upset that she named her drag daughter in this episode "Anne Drogyny" instead of "Cici Breeze"

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Dida, TKB, Peppermint, and Latrice if it's a slow song are who I'd want to see. I expect them to bring in Coco but only if they get something by a Jackson.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

There are 12 episodes of Season 7, and only 4 of them aren't team challenges.Now I remember why nobody liked this season.

Also Drag Race Canada looks so good. The colors on the judge backdrop actually change!! That stage looks so good!!! Brooke Lynn is there and she is great! Maybe we'll actually get drag queen guest judges because Ru isn't there!

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

curiousTerminal posted:

The subtitles on Drag Race are hit and miss.
Take for instance, "Jesus is a biscuit!-"

The subtitles are still pretty...suspect. But this gem from season 7 untucked got me good.
Context: Violet's tuck is tight as gently caress and she's sweating in latex so she says something about juicy pussy

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

KasioDiscoRock posted:

The finale of season 7, Violet yells out “Come through!” and the subtitles had it as “I won!” 🙄

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kahoWJOsjoc

Footage of Violet Chachki, June 1, 2015.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

My friend and I have roped other people into watching older seasons of Drag Race with us, and we've had little mini viewing parties most nights the last few weeks and it's really nice. We just finished season 8, which I hadn't seen since the original airing and I forgot just how much Bob loving crushed it. Even my friends who hadn't really seen any Drag Race before this knew he was winning all the way back in Snatch Game. (which, to be fair, was pretty garbage)
We're moving on to All Stars 2 next, and I'm very excited to watch their reactions to the LFYLegacy format. My one friend also really, really likes Alaska so watching him watching her win is gonna be fun.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Nihonniboku posted:

The US series is so difficult to watch if you're not watching it live or buying a season pass that I thought at least I'd be able to watch it all in one place.

We're about to run into this problem with All Stars in my group rewatch. UK Netflix has all the main seasons, but it doesn't have All Stars except for 4 and 5. US Hulu has All Stars 1 and 2, but not 3, 4, or 5. I have :filez: of seasons 1-7, and all stars 1 and 2, but after that they are impossible to find anywhere.
I legit don't know how we're going to watch All Stars 3. I haven't even thought about Canada yet but I'm sure that's going to be just as difficult once it's over. You'd think a cultural phenomenon like this would be readily available but alas.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

I keep forgetting y'all's coins are magnetic and seriously sat here for a few minutes wondering why that worked.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

curiousTerminal posted:

The subtitles are still pretty...suspect. But this gem from season 7 untucked got me good.
Context: Violet's tuck is tight as gently caress and she's sweating in latex so she says something about juicy pussy

We have a new addition to the list! During UK, the BBC iPlayer subtitled "To the moon" as "Do the move! Do the mooooooove! They're gonna take me away!" I didn't get a screencap of that one, but Season 9 got one that I can't even begin to hear

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Cracker probably knew that eliminating a front runner to get the crown would backfire and get her a lot of poo poo on social media. She doesn't have the confidence that Naomi had to weather that shitstorm, and also could probably see the writing on the wall from earlier in the series in regards to said fandom hate. Eliminating the weakest person was the only real option to her.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Season 6 didn't really have a villain in it, that slot was taken by Bianca and her "villain (with a heart of gold)" edit. Season 3's winner was a part of the Heathers clique, but it was more Delta who got the hard villain editing. There's no chance of villains winning post season 6, too much of the crown is fan response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

esperterra posted:

e: i'm just mildly buttmad our early season queens who can still turn it the gently caress out tend to get hosed over in some way on All-Stars, either because of the format or some silly tweest. which is also not necessarily a bad thing, but for me personally when i think of queens who deserve to be in the hall of fame I usually think of queens from old seasons who manage to still remain relevant and on the tip of people's tongues when they're asked who their favourite ru girl is

All Stars season featuring only girls from seasons 1, 2, and 3. With LSFYLegacy, without survivor-rear end eliminations.