Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I got my partner into drag race a few months prior to quarantine and it’s been the perfect post-dinner digestif watch. During lockdown we’ve watched on Crave AS1-3 (we’d both already seen 4 due to it being on Netflix), S12, and Celebrity; recently, we watched all of Drag Race Thailand S1 off of the excellent Kudalakorn subs.

Like most of the thread, we’re currently watching both Canada and AS5. It might be our Torontonian bias speaking, but we vastly prefer the former to the latter. Canada so far feels like the peaks of S7-9 of mainline RPDR; of course, it’s great seeing our local queens make good, gratuitous cancon (especially in the lipsyncs), toques & flannel in the workroom, and the utter smokeshow that is Jeffrey Bowyer-Chapman, but I genuinely find myself endeared by all of the contestants and their banter and appreciative of what they all bring to the table.

I’m very appreciative of Jimbo’s sense of humour and ability to craft and turn a look, but I often find myself perplexed by her mug. Her equivocation to the judging in E04 was not cute, either. I’m a fan of Scarlett from before the show and I’m pretty confident she’ll go far, likewise for Priyanka (though I wish she would it dial it back a little bit in her talking heads and I was befuddled by how effusive the judges were about her E04 look), but I think that this is Rita Baga’s season to win. She is extremely total package with a great fashion sense, comedy chops, endearing talking heads, and mellifluous (or perhaps sirop d’erable)? québécois accent.

Regarding S1 of Drag Race Thailand: I didn’t care too much for Natalia Pliacam’s performance during the season; I think she should have definitely gone home the first time she lipsynced. I can’t deny that she crushed the finale, though: we were losing it at everything about her performance, but especially whole watching the shirtless guys in stupid hats lifting her while hoverboarding. My partner was joking that she probably also bought off like six of the eleven people on the judging panel. Also props to the Duragon C Mikado looking executive who actually got to announce the winner.

Excited to get into Thailand Season 2. We’ve seen the top 3 live before; they did a free show on a blocked-off street stage on Ryerson campus during Pride last year. Sure, the outcome is a little spoiled, but It’s going to be entertaining no matter what. I hope that the production got a mild glowup and that they lean even more into the unabashed product placement in every episode. I love how they got Thai A-listers as guest judges for almost every episode, as well as a strong smattering of drag queens. I might like the tag-team hosting situation better than Canada’s throuple, but mostly because I truly appreciate Pangina.

oh yeah, I really hope Jujubee wins AS5 just based off of her strength of personality (and that we haven’t had an asian queen win since Raja [and arguably, Kim Chi) but occasionally Juju will still turn a look that reads as cosmetics counter salesperson. They’ll probably give it to Shea and I’ll be whelmed; honestly the writing on mainline and AS has been pretty lovely over the last few seasons. I can’t think of anything as well-written as the apology song/heritage minutes from Canada so far in anything from them, except, of course, the accidental gold like opalens.

looking forward to dead forum dragposting with yall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

great finale. Good idea to let the eliminated queens return to kiki and show off a couple more (undoubtedly very expensive) looks. The werkroom banter pre-final was a lot more relaxed with them present.

if the winner wasn’t already a foregone conclusion, the lipsync cinched it; juju and cracker’s runways were great, but shea infused every second of her performance with her personality. much better than cracker’s arbitrary pirouettes and leaky sand titties. having the finale song be janelle monae was unfair to our two runners-up.

re: Drag Race Canada - when the challenge prize for S01E04 was announced as a gift card to Fabricland, my partner and I immediately harmonized the jingle

Fa Bri Cland FABRICLAND

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

also please give us Grimes / Tegan & Sara / Metric / Feist / Peaches lipsyncs on Canada

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I want celine to guest judge an ep so she can excoriate brooke lynn on her awful snatch game

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

esperterra posted:

pls no because their pop music sucks and we def won't get a sad acoustic lipsync about losing the girl

give me metric and peaches and dragonette tho thx

their pop music does suck but they’re affable canadian queer musicians and if henry rollins can show up to panel for rpdr and dragula then they can make it out to co-guest judge. ideally we’d get something uptempo from before heartthrob like idk northshore but that’s... unlikely

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I hope now that shea got her w that instead of trolling her with petal reveals fans instead lightly slap her with a single fake titty

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

agreed the judging is kind of loose on canada’s drag race but tbh I’d take almost anybody with a modicum of charisma over Ru at this point. It helps that the triumvirate are all very cool people that wouldn’t yet be able to tentpole the show independent of each other, and I like how the format provisions for the guest judge to walk to cover girl and do the intros. Too often do meeker guests get swallowed by the pun-centric editing on mainline.

agreed that the bottom probably have deserved to be different last week but if I was a producer I’d find it extremely difficult to pass up the symmetry for the lipsync.

I’m really liking DRCAN’s slight kill-your-masters narrative. 3 of the 4 queens that have gone home have been huge names outside of the show; DRUK had a bit of this as well but it hits a little closer when it’s the Toronto crop thinning.

Too bad Kyne poo poo the bed on two consecutive episodes. I’ll always cheer a filipino queen (even when they’re kind of busted like Jaja or Vivienne)

The Little Death posted:

This has been stuck in my brain all day

Oliver the Cash Man sponsored ad challenge please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSQVVHyvOZU

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

which queen has benefited the most from their appearance on All-Stars? The rudimentary answer is Roxxxy, who got an extremely unfavourable edit in her original season w/r/t her attitude and disposition especially towards Jinkx, despite iconic moments like the wig reveal and the bus shelter story. AS2 Roxxxy is a delight through and through, culminating in her so-basic-it’s-transcendent Read U Wrote U verse. Arguments can be made for Tatianna, Aja, Bendela, Blair, and India, too.

Conversely, who came out of All-Stars a net negative reputation-wise? Adore, Gia, Jasmine, Mimi?

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I love Phi Phi and have always supported her 100% over Sharon (whose post-win behaviour has been pretty schiesty, with the racism and the gaslighting etc. etc.) but her AS2 edit did her no favours with regards to making her look less duplicitous and self-serving in the fandom’s eye. She showed off some killer looks and was willing to play the game irrespective of how it might make her seem, but hers wasn’t the leaps-and-bounds interstitial glow-up that, say, tatianna or aja exhibited.

he also has an extremely nerdy sleeve in progress (which I think works because, he’s extremely handsome)

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I’m also asian (filipino, specifically) and the show has always had a pretty lovely relationship with asian representation, with the most egregious early example probably being Manila’s extremely fobby reporter character in S3, though there’s probably a few Michelle runway comments from S2 that would make me tug my collar in 2020. The last few seasons have been somewhat disappointing showings for asian queens, apart from the obvious treasure that is Kim Chi. It especially sucked to have Rock M Sakura and Kyne get chopped so early into their respective runs; I appreciated how Rock lampshaded the weeaboo tendencies of asian drag queens in her intro.

anyway, if you want to see asian drag queens excel, there’s always Drag Race Thailand. I just started on S2 and I’ve already been gagged multiple times

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

a challenge has insinuated coprophilia by being a riff on when divine ate poo poo so I seriously don’t know what high horse michelle is riding on. rock m shoulda ripped one biden style on the zoom finale

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

read u wrote u is the pinnacle of songwriting challenges but kitty girl and queens everywhere belong in the same conversation as all three are powerful earworms

I don’t think I feel the same way about american except the chorus. I mildly dislike aquaria’s verse because it’s way past the uncanny autotune valley for a rpdr joint. Though I do get the beginning of asia’s verse stuck in my head frequently. her name was ETCHED in SAW-ROW

meanwhile despite it being less than a week I can’t remember a single goddamn thing about clap back, besides the title

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

the only actively bad part of queens everywhere is brooke lynn’s verse. despite disliking silky I get pumped when she’s telling me to TWIRL TWIRL TWIRL TWIRL

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

rita did well as expected (non, je ne regrette rien) but jimbo deserved that w with every fibre. at first I was like oh it’s joan rivers, whatever, but I screamed when she told bobo-as-liza “your mom and I invented snatch game. you miss your mother? then smell my fingers!” Then, that runway.

I had it pegged as a boa/kiara lipsync, because I thought priyanka’s runway would have been enough to keep her from bottom. apparently not, and good I guess, because she loving slayed it. kiara held her own for most of the song but got a little flaily once she lost her heel.

the show is getting less melanated by the episode, but apart from this last decision I think the bottom two judging has been sound. even that can be explained by production wanting to light a fire under priyanka’s rear end a la lemon

I see a top three/ four of priyanka/rita/jimbo/(lemon) unless something real wild happens

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I like bobo a lot too but she’s getting the shuga cain / jackie cox edit atm

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I also love how the “smell my fingers” interaction caused the snatch game to further devolve into chaos. ilona getting up to deepthroat jimbo’s finger. lemon not letting anything stop her from being continuously in motion. hell, even brooke lynn got swept up in the atmosphere by mugging on the contestant’s podium. I’m still thinking about it a couple of days later

let me tier it off (EVERYBODY loves tier lists!)

S: Jimbo
A: Lemon, Rita, Bobo
B: Ilona
C: Kiara, BOA
D: Priyanka

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

that tier list was strictly for snatch game performance. I really like jimbo/rita (and to a lesser extent, bobo, priyanka, and lemon) but I am on the rita VIA rail until we pull into montreal. I would live if a québécois won CDR S1

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

tangentially related but I disliked how often production used Gigi’s “what’s up, bitch?” snatch game clip during s12

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I’m a big baga fan & even I think that she was a distant third this week. Her runway was just kind of baggy and whatever, even after the tearaways. Jimbo brought it as the belligerent bachelorette in the challenge and stunned with that denim club kid look, and bobo’s runway was absolutely perfect for the category. lemon appeared to have sourced her look from what she thought was a donation box, but was actually a woodchipper

Bobo not winning this week was even more evidence that she’s getting the fifth place edit. & just like her esteemed predecessors, her confessional game is strong

tbh none of the skits were really that funny this week, but I loved priyanka & lemon serving shades of marie henein. and that split

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

the editing has been sus since ep 1 where they blatantly showed the critiques out of order so as to better highlight juiceboxx’s panic attack

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

esperterra posted:

THIS JUST IN: reality television show edits things out of order! What will they do next! Show the runway in a different order than the queens actually walked it??

news at 11

I mean it’s reality tv so by nature it’s heavily produced and edited but it’s moreso the blatant part that’s irksome. They’re going down the line left-to-right as usual and skip over juice boxx to heap praise on rita and the cut was so obvious that I thought I missed juice’s critique. There’s a palpable disconnect between the editing and judging & it’s not a good look for either

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

my partner and I have just passed the halfway point of Drag Race Thailand S2 and :piaa:

I was utterly gooped at Gimhuay’s disqualification. My jaw did not close until the episode ended. That’s got to be top 3 most shocking things to happen in drag race herstory. holy poo poo... piss

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Jimbo has a surprisingly petulant side to her that we saw glimpses of in earlier episodes and had a big taste of in this one’s mini-untucked and it’s not cute. Good on her for calling out Jeffrey on his subjective and hyperbolic judging but holy poo poo, she went in on Rita’s hair

I’m disappointed at Priyanka being unable to deliver the funny in improv challenges because her personality is so bombastic but if it means we get to see her lipsync more I’m for it. She is a veritable assassin

Also I missed Allie X in my wishlist of canadian chanteuses. I apologize

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

as much as I should dislike the white nyc twink professional dancer queen being a front-runner on the inaugural season of canada’s drag race, I really gotta hand it to her. she talented

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

here’s a reddit thread I googled up

tl;dr poster in thread alleges Ilona’s poor attitude and bullying of other performers caused them to get blacklisted in vancouver.

re: racism- apparently 5ish years ago they posted a picture of themselves with braids, were accused of appropriation, then posted a self-defensive screed afterwards that included, among other hashtags, #lynchme

maybe the poster who brought this up in this thread can elaborate a bit more

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Just finished Drag Race Thailand Season 2 Episode 10 (the makeover challenge) and, wow. Kandy Zyanide literally set herself on fire!!! That’s got to be one of the most irresponsible things I’ve seen anyone do on drag race, ever. That she finished the runway afterward (and won the challenge!) is legendary. gently caress producer Sephiroth for cancelling this show, forever

Also, Pangina was having the time of her life as main host. I really like her and hope to see her cross over with mainline Drag Race at some point

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

no official statement, but it still hasn’t gotten a third season order two years after the conclusion of s2 and Piyarat Kaljaruek (producer with the good hair & heir to the Kantana Group media empire) unfollowed all of the queens on social, including Art & Pangina. Apparently the S1 queens were also snubbed at the S2 finale, being given seats way way back in the venue in favour of The Face Men alumni.

It seems that Piyarat is focusing more of his time & attention on The Face, though apparently he tweeted at the beginning of 2020 that DRT S3 was his new year’s resolution, so there’s hope but, lol this year. It’d be ridiculous not to continue if even only because the DRT S2 werkroom and runway are gorgeous and were probably very expensive

sources: some reddit threads

panko fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 18, 2020

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

rip miss devayne. She was a sweetheart during her all-stars run.

gandlethorpe posted:

gently caress this stupid country and it's psychopathic approach to healthcare

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

great episode. I thought Jimbo won the episode for sure given the amount of work she put into hand-making the two looks and getting her daughter ready; both her and Bimbo looked incredible. Also doing bright red looks when the guest judge is a principal actor on Handmaid’s Tale is just good metagaming.

Priyanka winning is an entirely acceptable outcome though, and I’m glad she’s got another win notched before the finale.

That lipsync was really close; I’m sad to see Lemon go because she won me the gently caress over during the season. She’s very quick-witted and charismatic, shame about the intermittently busted runways.

great edition of the puppet challenge, too. Everyone made a funny. Bobo outpaced my expectation of her by making top 4.

I get the feeling that the crown’ll come down to what tracks the queens have to lipsync. I can’t see Jimbo or Bobo winning against Rita or Priyanka if made to do a torch song. We’ve been getting the bangers all season so I’m very excited to see what they’ve got in the chamber for the finale

It’s sad that this season made my opinion of Jeffrey Bowyer-Chapman skew towards dislike. The man is gorgeous

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

my partner has a killer JBC impersonation, it’s all coquettish overenunciation and shoulder talking

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I had a positive impression of JBC from his appearances on mainline DR and All-Stars. His time as The Bitchelor, his time co-guest judging with Naya Rivera, his adequate turn on Snatch Game of Love. He was both funny and charismatic (though his “flirtation” with ru was much on his latest jaunt) and he was, of the three judges of CDR, the one I initially thought would be the breakout.

now that we’re near the end of the season I know that the correct answer is Stacey

Finished Drag Race Thailand S2 and I really liked it, despite how much behind-the-scenes fuckery there was to get to the final three. The producer (Tae, anime antagonist) even ramblingly addresses it as well as the dearth of English-language lipsync tracks during the reunion episode. I can’t argue with the top (except for Gimhuay’s premature elimination) and I really hope that we get a S3. Pangina just opened a new drag bar in Bangkok called House of Heals and she’s posting media of many S1 and S2 alum tearing the venue down boots nightly and even though no one is wearing a mask and everyone from performer to patron is moistly close... part of me wants to be there

also we’re on the cusp of a blessed page. only 28 more to go

panko fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 24, 2020

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

why does michelle visage hate when she sees toddlers using the sidewalk?

because they’re a little pedestrian

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

unexpected outcome this episode. go Bobo!! She benefited from the other queens shooting themselves in the foot with their looks.

we got our tegan & sara but it was the absolute safest choice and jimbo loving threw that lipsync by not playing to her strengths and most importantly not taking off her loving hat

West coast went home! 401 top 3!!

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

what’s your first guess

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

*whispers* page 69...

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Nihonniboku posted:

have PanPan compete.

I would live. Pangina is one of my favourite drag queens of all time and having her in the mix would be BeBe-level unfair for her competitors

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

bobo deserved to win if only because the other three self-sabotaged with their crafted looks; neither jimbo nor rita could properly serve because their fits were too tight around the ankles, and priyanka came out in a zhuzh’d up leotard on an episode where michelle visage was the guest judge. If the pre-prepared looks were weighted more priyanka probably deserved the w (also lol at her throwing shade at durham region for the second time) but holy poo poo was her paper skirt gutter tier

if we’re second-guessing the judging I’d say bobo probably deserved to win the makeover challenge

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

lemon was almost the total package but she actively embarassed herself with her runway at least twice, arguably more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

they all brought it ins anely hard this episode. would have accepted the w going to any one of the three. I cheered rita thru the season because despite being a torontonian I am a poutineaboo at heart but priyanka did what she does well, well. she brought a fun verse, slayed her eleganza look, and modulated between rita and bobo’s energy well in the finale lipsync

loving legendary lipsync song too