Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

I haven't played since late last march. Is technician bad or am I just bad? The gimmick of keeping a skill out permanently is cool, but going skill power seems to have neutered me entirely. I guess +94% damage to the drone isn't enough for world tier 5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

have you tried seeker mines

I just tried out seeker mines + turret with a bunch of skill haste and 7 mines. Night and day. I was really hoping they would have balanced out some of the skills, but it seems seeker mines are still the only skills worth really running in a skill build.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Yo, why'd I get kicked out of hotdogs? I've been in that clan since release last year...

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Lol they nerfed the lvl 40 vendors with the patch but didn't nerf the gear people already obtained from the vendors. Another fun gently caress you to casuals. Either nerf all the gear that came from the vendor or don't touch it. How hard is that?

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

I played through the entire game with a friend of mine over the weekend after not having played it since last march. We played the whole story mode all the way through both DC (skipping the WT grind) and then through NY which was especially awesome. The story mode alone 1-40 was worth the price of the game. The NY underground mission with the drill was one of the more memorable missions of any game I've played recently.

That being said, one thing that pisses me off in games like this and arpgs, is broken and bugged skills. When the entire game is designed to let you play different styles and build your character the way you want it's really off putting when things don't work. Both the Striker and Hardwired sets being bugged is really lame. Granted, I just came from playing Wolcen which was a buggy pile of trash, but I'd have hoped they would have done better.

My only other real complaint right now is how janky a lot of skills still feel. Cluster mines bug out constantly and often just disappear or do no damage to enemies even though they're right on them. The striker drone likes to spend a lot of time not firing at anything, or targeting things it can't hit only to re position and still not fire. The turret is also really annoying to place some times because if it's a little too far in on a platform or too close to a piece of cover it just won't shoot anything. The worst though is the Sticky bomb and the chem launcher which are very similar skills except for some loving stupid reason they have totally opposite mechanics. You have to equip the oxidizer like a gun, then aim it with right click to fire at things. The sticky bomb on the other hand comes out like a skill immediately and you have to fire it right away, if you try and right click to aim it though it gets put away and you pull your gun back out. I was trying to run both and it just about drove me insane. The Firestarter also drives me nuts. I wish it would just ignite instantly. Having to double tap after you fire is just clunky and unfun.

I've gone full skill build and had a lot of fun running the oxidizer and the explosive seeker mine just for ease of use. Is there any way to get skill overload outside of the crappy backpack talent that gives it to you for using a med kit or the exotic back pack I'll never find?

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Does anyone have a skill build for solo play? My only real gear set for 40 currently is a full skill power set. I've mostly duo'd everything with my friend who was going full armor with a shield and it worked very well. I find myself getting murdered very quickly even using cover well while playing solo on hard, forget doing challenging right now. It feels like relying on 2 skills without being able to really use a defensive ability knee caps me pretty hard. I tried the reflect shield with a few different options for skills and it worked ok but it was really slow.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

I was able to solo a lvl 4 control point last night. Took forever and I had to switch skills a few times, but it was fun. Is the striker drone just useless on higher levels? I've found it shreds soloing on hard mode, but fighting heroic mobs they would just target and destroy it within 5 seconds every time it was up. Is that on purpose? Swapping to turret made the control point much more doable, but rip striker drone.

Did maintenance fix any of the bugged sets?

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

UnknownMercenary posted:

e: ^ You'd get more out of that build running an LMG. You're already using Petrov gloves. MG5 or Negev (or Bullet King if you got one) are the current meta choices.

I have most of the build above. I swapped from running a negev to running the bakers dozen and my dps went up significantly. The rifle build is for real.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

So sotg was just reiterating poo poo from last week with the only new info being that they are aware of newly introduced bugs with no time table for fixing anything... I haven't really paid attention in the past, is this par for the course?

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

CJacobs posted:

Damage numbers are so high now that they bug out, wrap around and display negatives, so I can see why they would want to scale back the numbers game some. Rocket tag sucks.

edit: Of course, if the enemies stay as they are, they get to keep their rockets but nerfing will take away yours, so rebalancing across the board is always better than giving things the mallet one or two at a time.

If they brought down enemy hp and damage in challenging, heroic, and legendary, nerfed rifles, mmrs, and lmgs (slightly) and fixed the sets and the skill bugs then the game could end up in a good place. Unfortunately I do not trust them to do this and fully expect rifles to get nerfed forcing everyone back onto lmgs for hard content.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Snuffman posted:

Build question, I have a skill build I'm quite enjoying but I was looking for thoughts on how I can make it better.

Preservation on both guns is for surviveability (unless there's a talent I missed that returns armor on skill kills?).

The setup is this, I toss my maxxed out poke-balls, they kill stuff. Pop maxed striker-drone, its off buzzing around killing stuff and the calculated talent ensures I get my seekers back quick. Hard-wire is for the bonuses and that initial HW insta-skill-return and damage boost. All my Utility mods are skill-haste.

Would I be better off with Hanna-U instead of HW? I was thinking of swapping the chest out for Door-Kickers-Knock (Perfect Spark). I was using Tartigrade for my main armor, may go back (would "Zero-F's" be better?), I was also using a Perfect-Spike rifle but it bounces all over the place and can't score consistent headshots.

The big problems I have is if I get caught in a bad place, my survivability isn't great and I have real problems with chain-gun heavies.

I want more survivability and more space Clancy-Mil-Tech wizard.

The Hardwired chest and backpack are currently bugged. You won't get the bonus skill damage from the chest and you won't get the bonus skill cooldown from the backpack. I believe only the right slot works correctly on cooldown reset as well. I've mostly given up on skill builds because unfortunately they are just under powered damage wise compared to red builds, but before I swapped to an all red build I spent a lot of time trying to perfect a skill set.

Unless you really want the 20 second cooldown on your seekers I would suggest dropping hardwired. 1 piece china light, 1 piece wyvern wear, 2 piece hanna u is the best mix of damage and skill cooldown you can get. I also like the percussive maintenance backpack for 25% skill damage on skill kill but acostas or a backpack with combined arms isn't bad either. For max damage get skilled on your chest, If you want a bit more survivability you can drop to 5 yellow (since you're technician) and then run a blue/red chest with unbreakable on it which will give you an extra armor bar every 60 seconds. Also look to get spiked or perfect spiked on a gun for even more skill damage.

Finally a warning about the drone. Striker drone is great fun until you get to challenging. Once you're on challenging and above enemies will just constantly target it and insta kill it making it unplayable. The turret is a good replacement and tends to last a lot longer, though it requires setup.

I really hope Massive takes a look at skills and makes some real adjustments / buffs, but considering how many bugs and broken things are currently in the game I'm not expecting anything any time soon.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

nerdz posted:

This is what they actually promised in the days before the release and didn't deliver because it was probably a communication error. Hopefully we'll get it soon, there's nothing to do in NYC

This is the biggest problem with the expansion imo. All of the post story content is in DC... WHY?

NY needs Blacktusk invasions, and needs some of the manhunts to be there and not DC. We've spent a year in DC already, lets do something interesting with the NY map.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

My friend and I have upped the difficulty to Heroic now that we feel we're geared. We did Roosevelt Island for the league pretty easily except for the last section with the boat where we died twice. Each time we respawned right before the boat and were able to complete it. Did the Zoo today on Heroic. Made it all the way to the last boss, wiped during the fight and it started us all the way back at the beginning. Is that normal? Because if so, gently caress that.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Its a week long, but you get a new set of challenges each day for four days. You have seven days to complete all the challenges.

Its really not bad, and kinda fun

are there any difficulty requirements for the polarity challenges? It seems like something that would be fun on normal or hard, but just pointless on challenging or heroic considering you need to melee to swap polarities.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I just wish we had more skills that were actually worth a drat.

I loved playing a striker drone / oxidizer build all the way through hard. Both are easy to use and the drone did decent damage while oxidizer dots were fun and destroyed enemies in cover. Then I got to challenging and the build immediately became worthless. Oxidizer hardly does any damage compared enemy hp at that level and enemies instantly roll out of it. The drone just gets targeted and destroyed in 2 seconds flat.

Fixing this is just a numbers tweak, but :effort:

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Capn Beeb posted:

So did the TTBK get addressed? I hit just shy of a million armor and got really tired of red trash mobs stripping that away in a couple of seconds.

They reduced damage from enemies by 20% :rolleyes:

Trip Report: Skill damage is still garbage. I ran 4 piece hardwired with max rolls, one peice wyvern, one piece china light. Even on 10 second cooldowns with 25% extra skill damage from chest and perfect spike on my gun, killing yellows and purples on challenging is a loving ubearable slog with literally every single skill except the sniper / mortal turret and if I have to play that garbage to actually do damage I'd rather just play all red dps where at least I can carry around some heals. Drone still gets instantly gibbed, even with enemy damage tuned down. Cluster mines still constantly miss. Sticky bomb still only does like 3.5 million damage on way too long a cooldown. Skill damage needs to be tripled or cooldowns need to be brought down to practically instant to make skill dps worth anything at challenging and above.

Yes I know that skill healing and CC are very good, but that doesn't mean poo poo when you want to solo with skills or do skill dps. Skills in this game are just so poorly designed it's loving frustrating. I really want to continue to like this game but Massive are making it very hard.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Did a bunch of Heroic content tonight in a duo. With two people I could really feel the difference in two ways. Enemies definitely had more hp. I couldn't one shot reds with a bakers dozen headshots any longer, and elites definitely took one to two extra bullets. I could at least still kill a heavy in one clip with a 150 round lmg.

On the bright side I was running glass cannon and I didn't seem to die quite as often. A lot of things that one shot me previously appeared to bring me down to a sliver of health but I survived. Fire and Bleed still sucked, but I didn't get one shot by it, I could usually roll out of fire and get off a health pack before I died.

I'm not a huge fan of increasing enemy hp but I'll take not getting one shot in return.

edit:

Psion posted:

ditch hardwired. The loss of the second attribute per piece really stings. I have a pure highend skill build (demolitionist, 6 yellows, all pieces with skill haste/skill damage) which does well over a million more per sticky than yours and my CDs for it are pretty short so I'm not losing out much there either. I find cluster/artillery turret to be the best setup, I run cluster/BFB when the turret just isn't happening (tight indoor stuff, etc) and I don't even use my perfect spike gun that much because I'm usually holding emeline's guard to constantly get healing off kills. It's not a solo build but by no means does it need triple damage or instant CDs to pull its weight in a group.

If you can squeeze it in, Acosta's overcharge ability will go off when the grenade is thrown, you don't even have to wait for damage. Start a fight with a grenade and dump your overcharged damage skills out and that's it for the entire spawn wave. Repeat for opening every fight.

my skill dps easily holds up on challenging, haven't tried enough heroic to say but it did alright during a Roosevelt heroic run the other day. Because it is so heavily weighted towards explosives heavy armored dudes will own you completely, but you will wipe the floor with everything else.

I tried running 2 Hanna-U, 2 China Light, 1 Wyvern and several different backpacks. I tried acostas, the one with perfect +25% skill damage on skill kill, and perfect combined arms. It all still felt bad. Granted, I stated before that I really dislike the turret. It's just not fun to me, so mortar and sniper turret being the only viable skill damage abilities doesn't exactly make me happy. I get that they are good, but I don't like that playstyle. Also, 5 million damage on a sticky that's easy to miss is still garbage even when it has a 15 second cooldown.

The biggest problem is I can crit for 3.5 million damage every single shot on a bakers dozen full red build. My LMG crits for 800k a hit with strained going. The amount of DPS a red build puts out compared to a full skill build is just insane. Add in the utility of a heal and rez and free repositioning without taking a huge dps loss, it's a no brainer for harder content. You know what doesn't bug out constantly or require all sorts of janky positioning? Just shooting a gun. I don't know if skills were op prior to TU8 or what, but warlords really just double hosed them. Massive was way too conservative with the scaling on 6 skill tier for most abilities (for example the striker drone gets 120% damage at skill tier 6. There were mods that gave it +500% damage prior to TU8! Also, making every single enemy an olympic gymnast who auto targets drones to wipe them out 5 seconds into spawning just doubles down on the frustration.

I just want to play striker drone and oxidizer and sticky bomb and seeker mines and do reasonable dps at higher levels. Unfortunately it's very unlikely that will ever happen with the current state of balance.

Frustrated fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 26, 2020

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Don't discount pure damage skill builds! I run one and I can solo heroic. On challenging, instead of BTSU being permanently disrupted, I just kill them. I can just one shot warhounds with one EMP, and two to three shot heavies with a sniper turret depending on whether I feel feisty to get a damage boost or just want to sit in cover and tap E three times. You need Acosta's Go Bag though, otherwise you run the risk of getting swarmed. If your skills are overcharged, you basically only need to pay attention to grenades being thrown your way. Everything else just dies before it can even pose a threat.

Let me fix this statement. Discount all pure damage skill builds that aren't sniper turret. Sniper Turret with Acosta's gets to keep the acostas overcharge buff for the duration of the turret. No other skills work this way. Just a public service announcement.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

I guess it's time to just give up on this game. My gear is very good, I've got a well rolled m1a build with perfect glass cannon, fox's prayer, contractors, and hollow man. This build makes the game bearable in heroic. I've tried all sorts of other builds and most of them are straight garbage. 4 piece true patriot with fox's prayer and contractors is decent fun when I tank a bit, but looks like it likely won't do enough damage once they nerf those items.

The fact that they stated "based on their big data, there is a lot more diversity within the builds", "Skill builds, for example, are quite popular and useful" and "Hard Wired, for example, is in the top 5 of Gear Sets and what players use" or whatever just shows they aren't playing the game and are just relying on some basic analytics. Skill CC builds with blinder are good in a group for high level content, but most skills are basically unplayable at challenging and above. A ton of them are buggy, most of the dps skills do negligible damage compared to enemy hp, and they are just gonna sweep it under the rug.

I'm guessing perfect glass cannon full crit lmg (3 piece providence, 1 piece Ceksa, 1 piece Grupo Sombra, and then either coyote's mask or 1 piece petrov) will just be the meta once nerfs go through.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Speaking of, I'm almost at the end of DC content and I'm still waffling on pulling the trigger on the expansion. I'm enjoying things so far but it sounds like the expansion has led to enemies being giant HP sponges that instantly melt you the second you step out of cover and all builds being reduced to like 2 or 3 viable options and tbh that doesn't sound very fun at all.

my 2 cents. New York is awesome, it's a great map and a fun change of pace from DC. The missions are great, there are a few really stand out levels that are really well designed. Some people hated the last mission of warlords, but it didn't give my friend and I too much trouble. After that is where the game gets a bit rough. Basically everything is viable on hard and below. You can play just about any build you want and kill npcs no problem. Challenging, and especially Heroic / Legendary are where you start to run into trouble and balance problems. Enemies at that level just have an absurd amount of hp and do an absurd amount of damage. You have to use cover and you have to move often so you don't get one shot by fire/poison/grenades. (You will still get one shot by fire/poison/grenades) This is where everyone starts to get pigeon holed into several builds.

It will be interesting to see what the game looks like post M1A and named item nerfs. It may allow other weapons to really compete which will broaden the options for red builds. If strikers get's fixed it may also offer a slightly different play style. Skill damage is still going to be bad at that level, but healing and cc status effect builds are both legitimate options.

Overall I don't think it's as doom and gloom as everyone is making it out to be, personally I just want striker drone to not automatically die and I want oxidizer to be worth playing at heroic levels, but unfortunately that's unlikely to happen any time soon. Still, the game is fun, there is a ton to do, and as much as people complain, queing for heroic is still nearly instant.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Fabricated posted:

as it turns out you don't get a checkpoint on the final boss in heroic pentagon. That kinda sucks!

don't get one on heroic zoo either...

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Some youtubers were saying they stealth buffed exotic drop rates (at least on heroic). Went in with a friend of mine tonight. I got a tardagrade on our 3rd run of heroic Lincoln Memorial and he got a Bullet King on our first run of Wallstreet. Seems like maybe Massive did something good for once?

Better farm more before they realize this was "unintended" and then nerf the drop rate down to 1% or something.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Malcolm Excellent posted:

How were the stats? The last few exotics I found outside of the exotic caches has like bottom of the barrel stats

The tradigrade had max armor and middle or the road stats on the others. Bullet king was all about 60%. Not amazing, but not terrible.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Shoren posted:

I'm definitely done with this game for now. It still baffles me how they squandered all of the goodwill they had built up towards the end of TD1's life. Seems like the first question they ask before making a change is "how can we maximize player pain by doing this?" Or, "Anthem did some bold things with their game design, how can we replicate that? There's a fine line between making certain aspects of gameplay take a long time to achieve because you want players to consistently interact with the game and just making everything miserable to deal with all the time.

I definitely got my money's worth out of this game and had a lot of fun with it, but it's just not fun anymore. Whatever comes next for expansions or raids or whatever else is something that just won't be worth the struggle of dealing with the underlying problems pervading the entire game.

Same. I got around 100 hours out of Warlords of New York so I can't really complain, but I'm at the point where I have a super strong rifle build with a near perfect bakers dozen, contractors, fox's prayer, and hollow man, and 3 piece Providence. That build shreds, I can solo Heroics without too much pain and do everything that's not Legendary pretty easily. Unfortunately, any time I try literally any other dps build it's just not fun at all. I've got a lot of very good pieces lying around, but all of it is bad. Strikers is bad, negotiators is bad, tip of the spear is bad, ARs are bad, LMGs are ok as a secondary weapon but just aren't nearly as strong as m1a. I think the m1a build is where a dps build should be if you've got good rolls. Unfortunately Massive disagrees and is planning on nerfing it heavily instead of bringing everything else up. Once that happens the game is going to go back to being a total slog and I'm just not into it.

I mostly solo or duo, so I've got no real use for support builds, and at this point I've just given up on skill damage ever being a thing as much as I really want it to be. I don't know if the devs are willfully ignorant or just don't care, but balance is so far out of wack and all of their "changes" haven't fixed anything. Making the game harder again is not the right answer.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

ZombyDog posted:

I was going to point out, my status builds don't work in solo heroic, but are fun solo challenging, it's just that once you hit heroic NPC health is too burdensome to overcome.

That's the biggest issue with this game that the devs are completely ignoring. Tons of builds work just fine on Hard and below. Then you get to Challenging and fewer builds work. Finally you get to Heroic and two or three are viable, finally in Legendary you basically have to go rifle build with one person going 6 skill power cc and that's it.

They keep nerfing things when they should be increasing damage on ARs, SMGs, MMRs, non M1A rifles, and even LMGs to a lesser extent. They should also boost the damage a ton of pretty much every single skill. Most skills and guns just don't scale correctly to be useful in the end game.

I also don't understand why they are so stingy with special ammo and effects from guns. All of the status effect gun builds are trash because it's really difficult to apply status effects consistantly as a gun build. Seems like they could easily make giving yourself a clip of special ammo on a cooldown a skill and call it a day.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

ZombyDog posted:

If you're talking solo, then ok sure, with the qualifier that Heroic is aimed at experienced group play, try hards to solo and Legendary is for try hards to play in groups and super try hards to solo. That is the design working as intended. Heroic is absolutely a better experience if you are playing with a mixxed build group. An all rifle squad is just down city restart all over again. Throw in someone tanky, a healer ( you don't see a lot of healers out there but drat it's great when you run into one in the wild ) and crowd control and you're clearing Heroic DARPA way faster than before. The argument that there's only 3 builds for Heroic group stuff is patently false, that's why I went through the effort of listing out 8 with a 9th in progress and I don't even have a healer focused build - Heroic solo is a different kettle of fish and you have to go with something that's efficient at killing stuff to mitigate incoming damage, or you've got to be better at mitigating incoming damage so you can kill stuff less efficiently. Sadly that doesn't make a lot of room for someone who can blind a wave for 14 seconds with a 13 second cool down and maybe I should be taking an AR with Eyeless ( but it's not a significant damage buff ), but again I'm talking about tackling content that has been explicitly stated by the devs as being balanced for groups, but left open for solo players to try their luck on.

Having a numerically inferior build and being carried by better builds is not the same thing as being "viable". If you're playing a red build you should be playing the red build that does the most damage (at heroic at least) and that's the m1a rifle build.

Also, the best 4 man legendary group by far is 3 rifle builds and 1 6 skill power blinder/emp pulse skill build. You just blind black tusk and shut down drones while the rifle builds destroy them. There is no need for a tank. You can do it with a shield player as well, but it's not necessary.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

tweet my meat posted:

Having the highest possible dps at the expense of fun is not the same thing as being viable and strong, I regret typing all those words now.

That was entirely my point originally. All of the dps builds, including skill dps builds, should be brought up to the power of the rifle build... I don't know why people keep arguing against me on this.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Fabricated posted:

I tried the crusader shield/M1A thing and discovered I'm really bad with rifles so I guess the meta build isn't for me. Kind of a bummer since my current one just doesn't work.

Focus works just fine without the shield as long as you don't mind zooming in 8x+ with a scope. I personally just use cover for my near perfect bakers dozen anyway and use focus with a 12x scope. Your uptime will be a bit lower, but you might as well get used to it anyway since focus with the shield out is getting removed soon.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

M1A somehow came out untouched.

The biggest change of interest to me is that Elites should do less damage to agent deployed skills. Maybe the striker drone will be usable in heroic now, which would be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

The new notes might as well read Classic M1A removed from game. It feels like a well rolled Bulletking gunner build might be one of the better red builds now.

On the bright side the drone doesnt instantly get smashed by elites anymore at higher difficulties. My striker drone / turret build felt a lot stronger and it made doing a lvl 4 control point super simple. It's not the fastest, but it's probably the safest way to play now that it works.