Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Robopon is a game released on the Game Boy Color in 1998 (JP) / 2000 (NA). The idea is to capture a variety of robotic creatures called Robopon and use them to battle each other so you can become Legend Number One. The concept is very unique and I'm frankly surprised no other game has done this before now.

Robopon has four versions in Japan (Sun/Star, then Moon, then Comic Bom Bom based on the probably insanely popular Robopon manga), yet North America only got one version released here, Robopon Sun, meaning we cannot collect all the Robopon. I'm sorry, everyone. Robopon also has a larger-than-usual cartridge to fit all the weird stuff it has like a built-in speaker, a real-time clock, and an infrared port designed to "KISS" other ports, so if you want to kiss your Robopon, then you'll be prepared!

Also from what I understand the story is a complete nonsensical trainwreck and based on the ten minutes I've played so far I am really looking forward to seeing where things go from here.

This is a blind LP. I've read up on the basics, but otherwise I don't have much knowledge on the game mechanics or especially the story. If you're familiar with the game and want to offer gameplay advice, feel free, but otherwise :siren: NO SPOILERS ON STORY STUFF :siren: because it sounds like things get delightfully weird pretty quickly.

Robopon!

-----

LEGEND SEVEN

Chapter 1 - "Yeah! Sunny, my first Robopon!"
Chapter 2 - "That bully took my ice cream!"
Chapter 3 - "That's considered kidnapping!"
Chapter 4 - "Okay, prepare for a health lesson!"
Chapter 5 - "So now you're acting like some sort of a hero!?"
Chapter 6 - "You cheater!!"

LEGEND SIX

Chapter 7 - "But in our world it's our reality!"
Chapter 8 - "You're a contemptible little boy!"
Chapter 9 - "That's good eatin', kid."
Chapter 10 - "Why am I here!?"
Chapter 11 - "Bathe in the light of the remote control."
Chapter 12 - "I'm tired of being a teen idol!"

LEGEND FIVE

Chapter 13 - "This is what you get for being so stupid!!"
Chapter 14 - "We found this well and thought we could live down here somehow..."
Chapter 15 - "Big brother! Please be my big brother!"
Chapter 16 - "Cool! This strange guy gave me a memory ring!!"

LEGEND FOUR

Chapter 17 - "Kids like you are enlisting in the army like crazy!"
Chapter 18 - "I've never heard of you!"

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Fan Stuff

FeyerbrandX shows off a rare type of Heropon.

PoptartsNinja reveals the schoolgirl's ace Robopon.

PoptartsNinja posted:

It was either rushed out the door or they didn't have enough artists. So the artist(s) blocked in a few sprite ideas for people but with so many robopon sprites to do they got stuck making those look as good as possible and never got a chance to finish the humans, so most unimportant NPCs got stuck with placeholder art, which is why Old Lady Groceries is teaching school.

And why they weren't able to finish the schoolgirl's piece.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 15, 2020

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Chapter 1 - "Yeah! Sunny, my first Robopon!"

There's a short animation intro showing various Robopon scrolling past before it ends with a "battle" with a fade to black.

Then the title screen randomly shows off various Robopon. I'll leave all of them as a mystery for now.

Robopon has a variety of weird features, including a real-time clock. From what I understand the effects are minor, mainly allowing some bonus effects at certain times or requiring you to wait real-time to unlock things. There's no penalty for changing it as far as I can tell.

Anyway, let's start a new game!

If you were expecting a monologue from some random professor, then I don't know what game you were expecting here! This is Robopon!

Instead, we start things off with a lot of random shrill noises.

Downstairs is our parents, including our blue father.

Father: ...business trip to go on. Take care of your mom while I'm gone, okay?

Mother: Why don't you visit Grandpa?

Our parents waste no time in ditching their son.

But before she leaves for good, Mother comes back for a moment.

Mother: ...okay? Stay out of trouble!

And then she ditches us, leaving us alone.

...backyard.

This leads our protagonist to go outside, where we see an old man and two Robopon.

...make that one old man and zero Robopon.

Grandpa Hogle: ...again.

Grandpa Hogle: Or was it Wally?

My name is...

The default name is Cody. We only get four characters, which is lame.

I'm not sure how the birthday matters, if it all.

Grandpa Hogle: Uh... I was just foolin'...

And with absolutely no transition between the two statements...

Grandpa Hogle: I'm leaving my company and all my Robopon research to you!

Grandpa Hogle: ...hands, Cody!

Oh yeah, Grandpa Hogle runs a Robopon company and we are now the president of said company because he said so.

We've only been playing two minutes so far.

Grandpa Hogle: I'm also giving you my latest Robopon! Come take a look!

Grandpa Hogle's business is rather swank-looking, I must say.

Yep, this is what we're rolling with. Though to be fair, there's only this assistant and a carpenter that seem to be employed here.

Still, the assistant seems pretty easy-going about her new boss being some young kid.

Grandpa Hogle: It's yours! Use it with care.

You don't choose your starting Robopon, but it's a different Robopon starter depending on the version you're playing. Since we've only got the one version, we're stuck with Sunny.

Grandpa Hogle: ...research. Remember Robopon are living creatures! They're similar to humans, so don't use them...

There's literally an "Evil" typing for Robopon.

Grandpa Hogle: Here, you'll need some cash... Here, I've been saving this.

With that, we finally have control for the first time.

Grandpa will heal us, then fill us in on the company a bit.

Grandpa Hogle: Cody, you should know the company has run into some bad luck. Perhaps you could invest in your company when you have some extra money!

I somehow am not surprised this company's been struggling under the leadership of Grandpa "Watches robots fight in his backyard and calls it research" Hogle.

Let's go over our menu.

I think you can only hold four Robopon at a time.

There's twelve various types of Robopon, ranging from traditional stuff like fire, water, and wind, to more interesting concepts like holy and evil. There's some weird stuff like having Earth and Ground be two different types, and same with Water/Sea and Wind/Sky.

There's Parts and Software that make up the meat of Robopon customization. Most (but not all) Robopon can equip one Part at a time, and you can equip Software to add varied attacks. This early, the software we find will mostly focus on different elemental attacks, though apparently the right combinations can unlock some powerful moves.

Tools lets us access our Items, Software, and Parts, while Garage lets us access our storage for those categories as well as our Robopon.

Data gives us some details on certain things.

Here is our protagonist, in all his glory.

Robopon Data lists the Robopon we've collected and discovered through our bizarre adventure. It seems Grandpa's given us some outdated model of Robopon he had gathering dust in his garage.

Finally there's mini-games to play later, and we can keep track of them all apparently.

The game cartridge supposedly has an actual speaker built-in to notify you when you're not playing Robopon so you can correct such a mistake.

No going beyond here, it seems.

...Robopon. Out-of-control Robopon are increasing from unknown causes...

Here's the reception area of our new company.

I'm looking for my people! They are scattered all over the world! If only I had a dream shell...

I can tell I'm going to enjoy this game's story a lot.

Communication is I believe regular game-link trading, while KISS uses the game's built-in infrared port to interact with stuff like TV remotes to get free stuff. Robopon's certainly got a lot of gimmicks shoved into one cartridge!

Our company can eventually get huge if we invest enough money in it, but that's awhile away.

But I'm the president!

This potted plant gives us the power of light.

It's software that adds Light to Sunny's punches. I guess it's Holy elemental?

Parts offer a certain amount of RAM, which Software uses up. The Fist-2 part Sunny has offers 20 RAM, with the Fire and Light softwares each taking up 10 RAM. This is how robots work.

Anyway, let's head to the garage and visit our second and only other employee.

Carpenter Ken: ...carpenter! I'll build you a grand building anytime, if you supply the money.

From what I can tell, we do want to start this sooner than later, so let's do this!

Carpenter Ken: This one's gonna cost a little bit more this time!

Apparently there's a random chance he may charge more or give a discount, because why not?

Carpenter Ken: ...a flash.

It takes two hours real-time to upgrade.

I think that's enough to get ourselves introduced to the insane world of Robopon.

Next time, we meet our neighbors and start having some actual Robopon battles!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Oh my god this feels like some forgotten amalgamation of Final Fantasy Legend and Pokemon, what the christ. :psyduck:

Well I'm sure on this train, wherever it goes.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I had heard of this game by name but never seen it in action. I'm not sure what I expected but "Pokemon with the serial numbers filed off" was not it. Much less a game as blatantly obvious about it.

That said the story already feels insane from the first moment and a cartridge full of gimmicks can only bring in fun so I'm all in on this.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
This pokemon romhack is weird.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Oh man, I absolutely adored this game and it’s GBA sequel as a kid. It’s as batshit as it seems and I can’t wait until you see some of the uh, interesting Robopon designs.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

This game definitely looks legally distinct from any superficially-similar intellectual properties.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i had robopon as a kid

i can still perfectly remember the sound of that goddamn speaker

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I wierdly did have this game. Collect em all craze, you see.

I recall an LP of this a while back, they kind of used it as a writing exercise for the battles but understandably burned out on it. A straight playthrough while poking fun at the insanity of the game is also good.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Highly advanced technology?

Inexplicably blue people?

Ghost Trick prequel, confirmed.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ROBOPON

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The second kid's anatomy is really freaking me out. Like that's his back, right? Did he break his neck?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Panic Restaurant posted:

Oh man, I absolutely adored this game and it’s GBA sequel as a kid. It’s as batshit as it seems and I can’t wait until you see some of the uh, interesting Robopon designs.

I know this game is pretty obscure to begin with, but I've never heard of anyone else having or even acknowledging Robopon2 :eyepop: Did y'all have Ring or Cross Version??

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I know this game is pretty obscure to begin with, but I've never heard of anyone else having or even acknowledging Robopon2 :eyepop: Did y'all have Ring or Cross Version??

Cross version, SunZero looked cooler. I was actually weirdly obsessed with Robopon 2, I remember calling the local Babbage’s every day for a week looking for it and eventually the poor clerk started to get pretty tired of that. :v:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Panic Restaurant posted:

Cross version, SunZero looked cooler. I was actually weirdly obsessed with Robopon 2, I remember calling the local Babbage’s every day for a week looking for it and eventually the poor clerk started to get pretty tired of that. :v:

Hell yeah Hard Mode buddies :hf:
I actually just stumbled onto it by complete coincidence in a EB Games used section; I never even knew there was a second game in the series before that. It was also the only one available so I was pigeonholed into getting Cross, but I would have wanted it anyway.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Chapter 2 - "That bully took my ice cream!"

Now that we've started our Robopon adventure and accidentally owned a company, let's explore our fair town.

Lisa: ...in time! This bully is bothering me! Please help me!

Sean: She is coming with me! Arrr!

Lisa: Cody, help me!

Not yet, we still have much to explore!

Yeah, probably not the best course of action, but nothing's gonna happen anyway so...

...comes out since he bought that satellite dish! He watches his TV all the time.

That's weird, I can hear music from within!

Why would you bolt the outside of your door shut? How does he get food?

Looting our old home, we can get a Bar Magnet, which is how we capture wild Robopon.

A Shortcut will give a Robopon an instant level. Might be useful late-game!

Oh yes, the ever-popular Robopon TV show. I'm sure we all have fond memories of getting up in the morning and watching it before school!

If we start with No:

What!? You don't know? The Legend is a title that's given to those who are the best Robopon Pros in the world. Only 7 people in the world are allowed to have a Legend title.

Our goal is to become Legend Number One. Running a successful Robopon business is secondary to our goal.

Now, if we say Yes:

The Legends are idolized by all the girls!

So if we can become Legend Number One, women will be all over us. I guess that's our motivation...?

There's a variety of books, including comic books, Robopon books, technical books, and serious books.

Doctor Disc: ....president now! I'm going to give you a Robopon to congratulate you! It should come in handy...

This is our new Robopon. More about her in a minute, after Doctor Disc rambles for a bit.

Doctor Disc: There are 4 factors to making Robopon stronger. 1st, upgrade CPU at the laboratory. 2nd, purchase components from the component store. 3rd, when your Robopon are ready for evolution, bring them to the laboratory, last, cram as much software as you can into their components. Carefully repeat these procedures to increase your Robopon's powers.

That's a lot of words, Doctor! I'm glad you've shut up now!

The Robopon we get from Doctor Disc apparently depends on the birthday we chose.

Bella's a big step up from Sunny, as she has a much better move load-out, plus she can evolve. Sunny does have better Defense, Speed, and HP for now though.

Upstairs we can investigate this weird stuffed bear to-

what

WHAT

Brownie: What a smart guy you are!

...in battle.

So there's perks you can unlock by finding this guy named Brownie. You choose a number, and these perks will happen whenever the real-time clock is within that two-hour span. So between 2-4AM, I'll gain one extra energy ball after battle, which I chose because this reward is useless. Meh.

Eventually we can fill our schedule up with little perks like this, but for now, this will do.

We get Water software and Oil, which is your standard HP recovery item.

Weirdo: First, there was Rena, then Sandy, next Maya, Yoko, Riz, Hiromi, and Meg. Then I met Rena again, then Meg, Sandy, Hiromi, Maya, Riz, and Yoko, before I finally met with Janet. You should memorize the order that I met them... It's an important clue!

...um.

All of the girls of the Elite 8 want Robopon! If you bring Gidget to Rena she will trade it for Rotor! Or if you bring Rotor to Sandy... What? I forgot!

The Elite 8 is apparently a side quest train where you trade Robopon to various women for other Robopon. I'm mostly guessing here, though, so I could be wrong.

Kid: That bully took my ice cream!

Once again, we're given the option to stop Bisco's goon's treachery, and once again, we're gonna decline for now.

Kid: ...let him eat my ice cream? Help me!

These weird patterns are actually paths to these homes' basements.

This one lets a Robopon evolve for free. Probably useful later!

Hunter: ...treasure chest is locked. You can unlock it using a remote control. The stuff inside depends on the remote you use. You may get something cool.

Unfortunately, VBA doesn't support this stuff so I can't use it.

Also, I'm stuck with VBA for this game because neither of BizHawk's cores play too well with this game. One doesn't work, the other had constant crashes whenever I tried to record video. The save RAM doesn't seem to stick with this game either, so I'm stuck with save states. I guess there are downsides for being the swiss army knife of GBC cartridges!

Also the time-change settings were glitchy when I exited to the title to change the time.

I've got the first upgrade built, though!

Rolled high on the price again. Just my luck. I get the feeling money won't be a huge issue in this game though.

Our first upgrade gives us access to basic items.

Basic consumables to restore HP and EP, as well as magnets to catch Robopon. Nothing exciting, but still useful to have.

Enough boring stuff. Let's finally start our first Robopon battle!

...to fight in a Robopon Battle!

Evade increases the chance of evading attacks, and Defend boosts your defense for one round. I don't know why the hell you would choose these options since all the fights are 1v1, seems like an oversight in an otherwise impeccibly-balanced game.

The animations are so bland that I'm not gonna waste time animating them unless they're semi-neat to show off. None this update are.

Attacks have different costs and effects. Your base attack always costs 0EP...

...but there's good reason it costs 0EP. The damage output is terrible.

Luckily Screwy is pretty trash and basically serves as a tutorial fight, so even its big attacks are weak.

Ideally you'll be using your big attacks and be spending EP in the process. Attack should be a last resort when you're close to winning the fight.

Otherwise, not much to this one!

Energyballs are currency where if you have enough, you can evolve specific Robopon. They're useless to Sunny since he can't evolve.

The game is also set up so that Sunny will get his first level from victory. We get EXP and money as you'd expect.

And with that, one goon is down.

Kid: Oh yeah! Lisa's in trouble. Can you help her?

Cody: Lisa needs help?

Kid: Come on, you gotta go help her and show her you care!

I guess Lisa is Cody's crush, so let's bring out the big guns for this one.

Stimy looks so cool...

Stimy also wastes no time going for its big attacks, in this case Wind Bomb.

Their strategy isn't working!

Bella is a Wind-type Robopon, so Wind attacks aren't effective against her.

Bella has much better mastery of Wind and takes out Stimy with no effort.

Sean: But, you'll never beat Bisco's!

Lisa: I just heard the school is in trouble! Bisco is trying to judge who has the strongest Robopon. He was last seen in the school's gym. Robopon are our friends! They shouldn't be used to boost one's ego!

Lisa: How could you forget Bisco? The biggest bully in our class!? He calls himself the Robopon Champion and is always picking on the other kids. Please, help us! You can find the school on the north side of Libra.

And with that, we have our next objective: Go to school and school Bisco the bully. We'll proceed to do that next time!

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Cool to see another lp attempt I actually remember enjoying this quite a bit when I played it though my biggest takeaway was a newfound respect for pokemon's type chart. Screwy has me looking forward to seeing the rest of the bizarre designs I forgot about.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Bella: :stare:
Me, after seeing the strange mustached cherub :stonk:

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
That bully sprite looks like he's staring at me over his shoulder while he gleefully pisses all over my treasured possessions. It's a wonderful sprite.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's so weird that the overworld sprite for the bullies is this cool, sunglasses-wearing man and then in-battle it's...that. That's quite the change. Stimy is much closer to that overworld sprite than the actual in-battle sprite is. So bizarre.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
I remember like... very small bits of this game. I don't think I ever finished it, and definitely forgot that you own a company, but u remember Sunny and the slotting in updates system. I'm curious how much I'll remember as you go through the game!

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Wow, this is one of the most well known games that is actively trying to emulate Pokemon. The other big one I can remember is the one where all the creatures have cell phones and you literally call them to where you're battling (the name escapes me but I know it got one of those Vietnamese Crystal style translations as a bootleg Pokemon game). I'm actually looking forward to finding out what this game really is.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Balache404 posted:

Wow, this is one of the most well known games that is actively trying to emulate Pokemon. The other big one I can remember is the one where all the creatures have cell phones and you literally call them to where you're battling (the name escapes me but I know it got one of those Vietnamese Crystal style translations as a bootleg Pokemon game). I'm actually looking forward to finding out what this game really is.

You mean Keitai Denjuu Telefang, the bootleg version was called Pokemon Diamond and Pokemon Jade. This was long before the real Pokemon Diamond existed.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Chapter 3 - That's considered kidnapping!

This update is mostly going to be exploring a couple of towns before next update when we get to some thick meaty Robopon action. Or at least as much action as Robopon can handle, it is a very slow-paced turn-based RPG after all.

We start off in the center square of Capri Town. To the east is Libra Town, our next destination, but we can also visit Tail Castle because, well, why not?

Riz: I've searched high and low for special Robopon... You know of a Robopon called Whacky? Unfortunately, I can't find it... I would like it if you could catch it for me! As a reward, I will give you a great Robopon!

Here's one of the Elite 8. Here's hoping we find a Whacky during our adventures!

Or not, I don't really care.

There's two of these wells, neither with anything particularly interesting at first glance.

There isn't much here, but come in and look around!

Hey, who's ready to call attention to a well-worn JRPG trope? Robopon certainly is!

...you're visiting! You can even go into someone's house without permission and take things! Here we have a law called what's mine is yours! I really don't have an opinion on the law, but it's strange! The only thing you cannot take are Robopon.

I'm glad we have justification to steal stuff from homes! Granted, there's nothing to steal here or in Libra Town...

...the island!

Also people are horny for royalty.

...little secret! The sea type Robopon, like me, can dive into the water... Dosbot is just like me!

Holy crap a talking Robopon

This shop sells items that heal status effects like Curse and Rust.

This shop sells some interesting-sounding parts, I guess!

And all the L1 elemental software is available either here or in Libra Town. Libra has the basic elements like Fire and Water, while this one has the more oddball ones like Evil and Holy.

Eh, not particularly.

Every town has a guy that will heal your Robopon for free, which is nice.

...lab! What is your desire, sir?

There's also a Robopon Lab with two NPCs. The first one will evolve your Robopon when they're ready, and upgrade their CPU. CPU only seems to be relevant if you capture a Robopon that disobeys you, so if your Robopon is behaving I don't think there's a point to upgrading CPU.

The other person can sell and even buy Robopon from you. Yes, you can sell your Robopon.

Investing in labs allows them to sell more Robopon. Right now, both labs aren't selling any Robopon.

Go away, kid!

I'm the president of a very prestigious company, thank you very much!

...laurel is given to the Legend 1. Prince Tail now possesses it...

...Legend 1 by supposedly defeating a doctor of some sort! But I remember it ending with the doc winning the battle. And now, the King's son, Prince Tail, is the Legend 1! There's something funny going on...

That does sound fishy. But it's also irrelevant to us for now.

So on to Libra Town!

...by going through the northern part of town.

Most of the NPCs give gameplay tips, most of which I've already mentioned in the past several updates, so I'll excise all of that.

...town were decided by all of us.

You could've done a better job! All the houses look the same and the way the towns are organized are kind of a pain.

At this time, I remembered to check out Bella's data. Well, glad I got a Robopon designed to be more as a decoration than a fighter! That's two useless Robopon I now own!

There's some basic parts here, nothing too exciting.

Rena: I've traveled the world, looking for rare and cute Robopon... I'm looking for a Robopon called Gidget! I want it so bad. If you find it, I'll trade it for my Rotor! So, if you catch Gidget, come over to my place right away! Later!

Something to keep in mind, I guess.

Air-ESC lets you flee from battles, while Grnd-ESC lets you escape from a dungeon. I grab a Grnd-ESC because screw backtracking.

Still no.

When our research progresses, it could benefit everyone!

...really appreciate it if you would invest it in our research!

...our laboratory? It would really help in developing new Robopon! The new Robopon can then be sold! Also, you can exchange Robopon you don't use...

Gotta say, I'm not digging the desperation these citizens have towards me investing in their Robopon Lab. I'd rather invest in my own company, thank you very much.

Also this guy is peering into the Robopon Lab like some sort of scumbag.

Anyway, let's go to school.

David: ...us at Capri today!

Sean: So, Cody... Are you entering the Robopon Battle Tournament too? Ha-ha-ha!

David: Let's beat him up!

Sean: Good idea!

And now we finally meet Bisco.

Bisco: ...piece of junk Robopon. Did your senile grandfather make it? Let me take a look at this!

Bisco: ...Robopon! You won't beat me with that!!

David: You need a participation certificate to enter the tournament in the gymnasium. If you don't have a participation certificate, you can't enter!

Sean: You could be the Legend 7's next challenger, if you win!

Bisco: It's my right to challenge Legend 7! Well Cody, you should beef-up your Robopon and enter if you dare! Let's go, crew!

Bisco's kind of bad at the whole "bully" thing. But he's right about one thing, though, our Robopon are garbage.

I made something very interesting! Come and see it. I hid it behind the door near your assistant's desk. Well, back to work!

This unlocks some mini-games that I'll worry about later.

This young girl is down to battle, so let's give it a go!

She's slightly less unsettling than David and Sean, at least.

Gotta say, "Nurse with a giant syringe" isn't that bad a design as far as Robopon go.

I especially can't talk crap about Meddy because she kicks Bella's rear end.

Curse is a debuff that lowers the accuracy of the inflicted's attacks. Holy attacks seem to love inflicting it.

Unfortunately, this isn't a damage race we're gonna win.

Especially since Meddy can drain HP with Vampsilvr.

At least Sunny's beefier, so he should take care of this one.

His attacks are much more effective, and his HP high enough to take down Meddy with little issue.

Even got a free item!

...sometime!

You can challenge her repeatedly if you want.

Next time, we explore our school as our riveting Robopon adventure continues.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Slightly less unsettling is correct, why do all of these in-battle sprites seem to come from completely different games with wildly different art styles?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

Slightly less unsettling is correct, why do all of these in-battle sprites seem to come from completely different games with wildly different art styles?

I just fought my first series of trainers for the next update, and trust me, it gets worse.

Also, holy crap is this game's interface sluggish. I'd probably actually enjoy the game if it weren't so slow and the controls worked better in menus (which, considering this is a turn-based RPG...)

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Oh yeah! I just remembered that, while seemingly completely redundant on the surface, types like Earth/Water/Wind are just traditional elemental stuff, while Land/Sea/Sky actually refers to types of vehicle-class Robopon. If you wanted to cover this in an update or consider this a spoiler though, I can delete this post.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 2, 2020

Mega64
May 23, 2008

That makes more sense. It looks like Sea Robopon can dive into water, and I guess the other two types will be more apparent once I get them.

And for the record, gameplay mechanics are fair game. I just don't want spoilers on the story-related stuff just in case things get crazy later on.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Just chiming in that the speaker would not stop beeping at certain times, until it ran out of battery. I lost track of my cartridge, but every few days or so, for YEARS, I could hear it beep from somewhere in the house.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I had to fight seven teachers in the next update, each with their own battle sprite.

This is one of the better ones.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I still don't get how they failed to keep a consistent artstyle. The protagonist has highlights, shadows and darker skin that make his sprite look far more detailed than anyone else's, with their flat colours and uncoloured skin. It's incredibly unpleasant to look at.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Chapter 4 - "Okay, prepare for a health lesson!"

It's been three updates, I dare say it's about time we capture some Robopon of our own!

This basement has two common Robopon, one rare-ish one (~10% encounter rate), and it may have a rare 1% encounter, though I don't know if that's actually true or not.

There's one "problem", though. As I've established previously, this game does not play well with emulators, so any time I save the game, random encounters end up being disabled.

It's not really a problem because there's an easy fix, and because I can exploit this to turn off random encounters whenever I feel like it. So really this is more of an incentive to emulate!

The issue is whenever you save in-game, the in-game clock glitches out, which is probably what messes up the random encounters. All you have to do is exit to the title screen (which saves when you do so!), reset the time, then Continue.

And with that, we can finally start hunting some wild Robopon!

The first of the two common Robopon is Sumito.

It has a big type advantage over Bella, so she doesn't last long.

I weaken Sumito with Sunny, and now it's time to try this thing out.

...Sumito!

And with that, we've captured our first Robopon!

Sumito is a Boot type, which means we can't change its parts or software (I think, I haven't actually tried doing so yet but that's what all my sources keep telling me). It gets the Fault move from combining Earth and Power, and apparently it's a sumo wrestler knock-off that...wields a sword for some reason?

...How does it stand, it doesn't even have legs!

The second common Robopon here is Coball.

This isn't even its actual attack, this is just Coball's wind-up for its attack.

It hurts.

Looks like we're in trouble!

That's what happens when our move isn't effective against the opposing Robopon.

Sunny once again to the rescue! We're able to grab our fourth Robopon and finally fill our party!

Another Boot Robopon, this is a giant ball with a built-in gun that can also summon thunderbolts.

One of the FAQs I read says this thing sucks, but I don't care. I love it.

Before we tackle the school proper, let's check on our company real quick.

Carpenter Ken: I can't refund your money, but come again!

If you really mess up the built-in clock (like, go backwards in time I guess...?) then Ken will go "WELP" and just ditch his job and keep the cash.

I don't like Carpenter Ken.

Nothing more clock manipulation can't fix, though!

The parts here are a step up than the stuff in Libra and Tail Castle.

Sunny already has Fist-2, and we've seen the Sword and Rifle parts on our new companions.

Most of these are Normal-type software (with the exception of the Holy-based LightV2) with various gimmicks I know nothing about. But each of these may lead to new move combinations, so if you know what you're doing they could come in handy!

After talking to Bisco, we can now enter this door.

This sounds more exciting than it really is.

...your Robopon.

This is not really true. This is a collection of five different mini-games we can access. I'll show off one of them for now and save the rest for future updates.

Rotor: ...Jumper battle. Press the A Button repeatedly while in the air, so your jumping distance will increase substantially.

I don't think it matters, but you better believe I'm picking the Wind-type bouncy ball for the jumping challenge.

Though it's kind of unfair I have to compete against a miniature helicopter...

There's nothing to it. Once your Robopon hits the ramp, smash A until it lands.

It's pretty easy to win, and you get a bit of cash as well. I do it several times to get a bit more pocket money, as running a business is expensive!

I catch an extra Coball and Sumito and sell those for 200 gold each. Not a lot, but not terrible.

I also decide to mix up Sunny's software a bit since Fire and Light have no synergy. Turns out Fire and Water does, though!

This is water-based, and thus not very effective on this Sumito.

It does inflict Fever though, which reduces HP each round!

...or would if the Robopon doesn't instantly recover.

Next up, I do another company expansion and get my own Lab.

And then I buy Tarot for Sunny, which trades some Attack and Speed for some extra RAM.

It doesn't really suit my current array of software, but once I get some stronger stuff this will really come in handy.

That's enough prep-work. It's time we finally go to school.

...fight, too. Ask around to find out everything about Robopon!

There's yet even more tutorial stuff there, if you desire.

...be Robopon battles everyday at school during summer vacation!

If you say so!

Principal: ...certificate? Then you need to get this card filled up with stamps! Just battle each teacher in their classroom and if you beat them in battle, they will give you a stamp! When the card is full of stamps, come and show me! Only then will I give you the participation certificate!!

So our first test is to beat up all of our teachers. Seems simple enough!

This looks surprisingly normal.

Trust me, it won't last.

Her Robopon is Splat. I don't know what it's supposed to be, and I probably don't want to know.

It's a Water-type, but Sunny's a good step up from all the weakling Robopon in this section of the game.

I decide to feed all my energy balls into Coball, so it can become the ultimate ball.

One down, six to go!

Health Teacher: ...don't get hurt and stay healthy!

There's seven floors, one teacher per floor.

Language Teacher: ...you compete!

I don't think those are language supplies. She looks like someone who just finished grocery shopping, not a language teacher fighting a student with sentient robots.

She has her own Coball, though, so she's cool in my book.

Earth wrecks Wind for whatever reason, so Sumito doesn't have much issue here.

Onward!

...Why is there a Language Teacher and an English Teacher? What does the Language Teacher teach?

This Robopon makes more sense than usual. Not much more sense, but at least it's recognizable!

It's also Water-type and thus gets fried by Coball.

So only losers get amnesia...?

Phys-Ed Teacher: ...excuses! Come get me!

...I have to admit, I wasn't expecting the Phys-Ed teacher to look like a Popeye knock-off.

Palmer is Earth-elemental, so it's weak to Sky. Not Wind, though, don't be silly!

Phys-Ed Teacher: ...right stuff!

Only three left!

...Not anymore!

At this point, Coball was running low on EP.

A basic attack is just enough to finish it off, though!

Coball gains a level, which is nice because a Robopon heals all HP and EP upon level-up!

Getting close to the end!

What.

She also has a Sumito, which is nothing to write home about.

Down to the last teacher!

Science Teacher: ...a failure! Now I'm ready to let off some steam!

Huh, that's surprisingly normal.

That isn't, but it's hard to be surprised anymore.

In case you were curious, this sentient pile of robot jello is Holy-type. Sure, why not.

We land Rust on Gello, which also reduces HP each turn. I don't know the difference between Rust and Fever.

And like that, Coball is only 12 energy balls away from evolving!

Thankfully, there's an elevator we can take to head back down to the first floor.

...the basement.

Things can't be easy, though. Now the principal went to the basement.

Next time, we, too, will go to the basement and get our participation certificate so we can fight Bisco in our quest to become Legend Seven.

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

Mega64 posted:

...How does it stand, it doesn't even have legs!

All I can think is 'Weebles wobble, but they don't fall down!'

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Since this is a Japanese game, I'm guessing the language teacher would teach Japanese.

I'm guessing because this looks like a really crazy school anyways. Like, why is Popeye there?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
"You're the president now, here's some plot powers, deal with it" is also the plot of the current season of Kamen Rider, just with a superhero transformation instead of Pokemon Robopon.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.
Somehow this thread managed to un-bookmark itself and I hadn't noticed it'd updated twice.

Some of those teacher sprites weren't too bad, though I don't know what's up with ninja run grandma. Popeye was definitely a bit of a unexpected appearance.

All that being said, will we get a chance to get a Meddy at some point? Lifesteal moves seem like they'll be really broken in this game. Seeing how this has been going so far, that could be "broken" in either sense of the word.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I love your perfect sumo orb son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Coball is a legit great name for a robot orb. Use the hell out of the little guy, although from what I remember of the sequel at least, Boot-types are kind of on the poo poo end of things since you can't equip or otherwise customize them in any way. What you see is what you get.