Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Posting this at work.

Five days of work each week is bad, it is dumb, and worse, it's bad and dumb for no benefit. It's pointless. Evidence: I'm on my fifth day at work and I'm just so loving done I'm posting threads on SA instead. But I have to go through the motions and pretend, because We Live in a Society.

The truth: you are not going to get 40 hours of quality work out of a human being in a week. You just won't. At least in any job that requires any amount of mental engagement. Maybe you can get it out of someone who just performs rote menial tasks while listening to their tunes, I dunno. Otherwise sure, they might be clocked in, they may be present. But for a number of those hours, they ain't doing poo poo. And the more hours you push em beyond the line, the higher the (wasted time/productive time) ratio gets. If you try to get around this basic fact with some Amazon warehouse style of dystopian oversight... well congrats you've created a person who hates their life, is inclined to steal from you at the first opportunity, and your turnover is through the roof. Gee I wonder why that is.

The consequence: we all have to put up with this idiotic song and dance. If we all worked four days a week (or approximately 32 hours, however you want to measure), not only would our productivity go up, we probably accomplish more in total, even accounting for eight fewer hours of "output". However, actually doing that (assuming you even have the option do it voluntarily) gets you less pay and, worse, a perception that you're lazy and don't care. Attempting to work smart and recognize the realities of human behavior is equated to being a shiftless mooch, and kills your prospects.

It's stupid, I'm tired of it, and I hate that I have to demean myself by going along with it. I could understand more if it were the 1800's or some poo poo and we still basically didn't have anything in the way of human behavioral science. But that's not the case. The data is in. Everything we have says people would be happier AND more productive working few hours per week. It's nothing but a charade, a loathsome performative dance for the benefit of the elite. The reason it hasn't changed is because gently caress you. That's why I'm posting on company time. Folks, I ain't getting poo poo done today beyond the minimum necessary upkeep.

I want to go home. I shouldn't be here this much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
The five day work week is for upper management who would rather work than spend time with their family,

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
There's not a day of my life where I don't do something work related, it's laughable that 40 hours in 8 hour increments could be enough. If you have email and a phone, you're basically at work every waking hour. Not that I'm complaining, it is what it is :shrug:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

General Dog posted:

There's not a day of my life where I don't do something work related, it's laughable that 40 hours in 8 hour increments could be enough. If you have email and a phone, you're basically at work every waking hour. Not that I'm complaining, it is what it is :shrug:

Lmao no

If I'm off work I'm off work.

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

General Dog posted:

pathetic

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I just want three days off each week. I'll do my 40 hours, just lemme put it into four days instead of five.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
One 40 hour shift with a 5 hour break in the middle.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Yo, I'll tell you what I want, what I really, really want
So tell me what you want, what you really, really want
I'll tell you what I want, what I really, really want
So tell me what you want, what you really, really want
I wanna, (ha) I wanna, (ha) I wanna, (ha) I wanna, (ha)
I wanna really, really, really wanna 6 hour workdays with proper compensation because studies indicate the extra two hours per day do nothing for worker productivity so just let me goddamn sleep.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Might do 2 hours of work a day if that

Pretty much all work is a scam and we are just playing chicken with each other the entire time

Bosses know that we aren't working the 8 hours

We know the bosses aren't working 8 hours a day

Can't say let's work less hours but still pay the same because shitlords will freak out that we aren't working hard enough

Scabs ruin it for everyone, if we went down to 6 hours a day for 100% pay, someone would come along and willingly do it for less money and be grateful for it

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

General Dog posted:

ahahahahaha great username/post synergy here

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Bernie sanders
No surrender
4 day week
3 day bender

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

givepatajob posted:

The five day work week is for upper management who would rather work than spend time with their family,

Don't forget that they're allowed to be "flexible" with the 5 day work week when it suits their needs.

Oh, you needed a response from upper management on a Friday? Sorry, they're out golfing somewhere.

What's that? You didn't check respond to an email sent at 7 pm on a Saturday night until Monday morning? We need to talk about your performance, you obviously aren't aligning with managements expectations for this job.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

General Dog posted:

For what I was describing: that's not "working". I did say 40 hours of quality work. If you're just at home chilling on the weekend, doing some grilling or playing games or working or whatever, but you might take a phone call or respond to an email, I ain't counting that poo poo. I'm talking about engaged, at-the-workplace work.

maker
Jun 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Give me 3 ten hour days and a raise

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I feel like if you can post from work you shouldn't complain vs eight hours of manual labor with a single thirty minute break, but perhaps I'm crabbucketing here

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Completely agree, OP.

I'm about to earn 8 hours of vacation per two weeks. I'm already working a 5-4/9 schedule (Four days at 9 hours, one day at 8, next week is four days at 9 hours and three days off) so soon I'll only work 4/9s because I'll just spend the leave I earn to never work on Fridays.

My boss is highly flexible but we're all beholden to this system that doesn't really understand our workflow. We have this big building full of people that could do 90% of their job from home but the top brass like watching people mill about.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Daikloktos posted:

I feel like if you can post from work you shouldn't complain vs eight hours of manual labor with a single thirty minute break, but perhaps I'm crabbucketing here

I agree my job could be worse. There are many people with worse jobs than me. I don't see that as a reason not to try and raise all of us up. We should both have better conditions with sane schedules.

e: also to be clear, my chief complaint is not the nature of my work or how "hard" it is. I don't really begrudge the work very much. It's that I have to spend too much time doing it. People should have more time to themselves. Giving 40 hours of your time every week to industry is too much.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 28, 2020

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
and the ancient gods live on
honestly, I think business owners are just glorified land lords. Power to the people.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
My perspective of being a manual labor/factory pleb most of my life, until recently: the four day work week is where its at. 10 hour days and a three day weekend. The thing is, this superficially tilts in benefit of the actual workforce, so management types won't have it.

I am management and in the minority on this. There is always a lot of harrumphing about "pushing productivity" like its a 4th quarter comeback or some poo poo. Guess how much poo poo breaks down/goes wrong on Fridays or the following Monday because of this pushing the limit mentality? Quite a lot of poo poo.

My plan I've presented to the couple people above me at this point is this: get the unskilled people to work their best Monday-Thursday, have a rotating schedule for management/mechanics/skilled labor/special projects to straighten things out on Fridays. I would be included in the latter and I don't mind.

Frankly the "can-do" attitude is for things like getting your friends car unstuck in the snow. Trying to apply it to your management position, in charge of people and machines....many more misses than hits.

I personally like focusing on one thing a lot and crushing it. If I could work 12-13 hours a day and then pop my head in on Thursday -- that's my ideal employment.

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Daikloktos posted:

i dunno i've worked both types of jobs and neither is worse than the other, they both suck for different reasons.

we're all getting hosed over here let's not do the dumb thing and start turning on people who are getting hosed over in a slightly different way.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Don’t worry OP, market forces will fix it! Any day now.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Daikloktos posted:

that's a big word for whining

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I work three twelve hour days a week and the rest of my time is my own, it rules.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
On a salary income, A person is only productive for three hours.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Throw in a 45min+ commute time one way and you start to reassess what you're doing in your life. Being stuck in traffic at 6.45am makes you wonder what is the point of 'work'. Why am I getting up so early to beat the traffic, just for the privilege to sit in an office under lovely lighting for 8 hours in a place no one really wants to be at?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W67H4k-Asf8

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

The 8 hour work day was realized in the US almost 100 years ago lol.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
I just do all 40 hours in one day, why does nobody else do this?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Grevling posted:

The 8 hour work day was realized in the US almost 100 years ago lol.

See? It's anachronistic! It's older than the loving boomers!

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

Seek help

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Chomp8645 posted:

See? It's anachronistic! It's older than the loving boomers!

Yeah it's insane. But really wage labor is an aberration, there was never a time until very recently when the vast majority of humans had regular hours. It clearly fucks people up.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Also according to Keynes who economists like so much lately we'd be working like 15 hour weeks by now, what happened to that?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

General Dog posted:

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

General Dog posted:

If you were booze you'd taste like feet.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I do 45 hours because my boss wants to bill the client for 45 hours - but by the end of each day I'm really not productive at all, and that last couple of hours is almost all wasted time. The whole thing is a joke.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Im starting a new job at 40 hours but will likely cut to 32 after I get the hang of things.

32 I can propably do for a long time, 3 day weekends are the poo poo.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Move to France, they have 35-hour weeks. :eng101:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I like to pretend that if I pour enough into my work that I'm taking away an employment opportunity from someone else.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

i work 6 days a week :negative:

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Aishlinn posted:

Hope you've got your boots, goggles, and mask ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Aishlinn posted:

i work 6 hours a day :negative: but only four days a week!