Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Repost form the April thread, because I'm a dummy and failed to notice that it was March:

Coincidentally, I finally got around to supporting the boys a bit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

STR posted:

This Corona thing - or rather, the panic, is getting out of control. We have people ordering 100+ containers of hand sanitizer through our personal shopping service (we have a cap of 4 for any hand soaps, hand sanitizers, cleaners, etc right now, but people think they can be sneaky with the personal shoppers), people cleaning out entire shelves of bleach (only to be told no, you can only buy 4). to move out of his way).
<snip>
gently caressing people.

There are days when I hope the virus significantly reduces the population. Problem is, it won't get just the idiots and assholes.

What's the normal price for an N95 mask on Amazon? Because they sure seem a bit high now... wonder why?

Rhyno posted:

Look just pray for the virus to go away

Funny how thoughts and prayers are good enough when something happens to someone else, but if it's happening to them, they want something done.

Beach Bum posted:

I know you're joking but there are :airquote:people:airquote: out there that actually loving believe this poo poo and I just- :tizzy:

Like I'm sitting here at my desk all calm and poo poo but I can feel the back of my brain going "rrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

Exactly.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

That it is. People are poo poo too.

I'm in Solano county and loving lol @ the idiot horde. I'm not doing poo poo about it, Incoming fire season is the one to worry about.

Insurance auctions, find a buddy with a license, or obtain your own, buy a leaf for under 2k and gut the fucker. secondarily, figure out a way to add a plate cooler to the battery stack. they don't have thermal management and yeaaaaah.

i wanna take a leaf/volt and graft it into a baja bug, i totally get it.

I'd love to stuff an EV drivetrain into one of my (many) derelict RX-7s. A FWD or Tesla transaxle would require massive mods, since the first-gen RX-7s I have are live axle, so it's a bit more complicated. Second gens have IRS, so could start with one of those, but I *have* the first gens, and like them better...
There's an EV guy in Britain working with one of the Lexus hybrid RWD transmissions - the motor is built into the automatic transmission. If he (or others) succeeds in reverse engineering those, and comes up with a controller, that could be neat.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So I applied for SSI disability through my lawyer months ago, got all my medical records in and filled out the tons of bullshit jump through hoops paperwork, and after months of waiting for an approval they decide to send me to one of their own doctors for an examination which turned out to be a loving Pediatrician, with 90% of my "exam" done by a loving student nurse. I was in there less then ten minutes, and apparently they are gonna take some student nurse's opinion of my condition over my neurologist's professional opinion who has been helping me since July?

What the gently caress is wrong with this system.

Well, how else are they going to deny you repeatedly and wear you down so you'll accept less money.
Yes, it's terrible that our own government benefits are run like a for-profit insurance company.
We're just starting the process to get my daughter covered under Social Security disability for being on the spectrum (it's doubtful that she'll ever hold a "normal" job if it involved, you know, other people.) We've been advised that it will take months if not years, and we will be denied the first time pretty much guaranteed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Huh. NASCAR is actually changing form the 15" steel 5-lug wheels to 18" BBS alloys with center locks in 2012.
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/news/bbs-wheels-chosen-next-generation-stock-cars/

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

A couple from the extended March thread:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh FFS they Barra`ed a Gen 1 RX7. First Barra swap I am genetically bound to loving HATE

Kind of want to see that.
There's a second-gen one being done in the US, of all places: https://www.facebook.com/TheAutomotiveObsession/posts/fc-rx7-barra-swap-in-progress-in-america/2533161710105728/
Then there's this one with juuuuuust a little set-back: https://www.facebook.com/Mdsfab/posts/3172272316133060?hc_location=ufi&comment_id=Y29tbWVudDoyNTMzMTYxNzEwMTA1NzI4XzI1MzY5ODMxNzMwNTY5MTU%3D
Not finding the first gen with a casual search.

[quote="MomJeans420" post="post502987930"]
I got tickets to see them at the Hollywood Bowl this coming June, logged on the second I could and I still had 2000 people in front of me in Ticket Master's "waiting room." Eventually I got on, a lot of the good seats had already been taken then put up for resale, I found some reasonably priced ones and TM gave me a "hold on we're securing your seats message." After 10 mins of that, I gave up, tried other more expensive seats - same thing. Eventually changed from Chrome to Firefox, had a small wait again, then had to pay WAY too much to buy two terrace seats on resale.

After all that, they announced a second night due to high interest, I don't even want to log on to see if I could be saving hundreds on tickets.
[/quote]

All the scalpers and resale services that encourage this bullshit can eat my entire rear end.
Real fans either end up with poo poo seats or paying out the wazoo so some random jerkoff can profit. As if the ticket prices (and bullshit fees) weren't enough.

Ferremit posted:

I just got told off by our work safety guy.

One of our keepers came and asked us in maintenance if there was a solvent that would dissolve silicone sealant. I flippantly suggested ClF3...

Apparently he went to the work safety guy, who’s also our vet, to ask if it was safe to use on frog tanks to not hurt the frogs and he looked up the SDS for it.

I’m apparently no longer allowed to suggest chemicals that set asbestos on fire as solutions to coworker problems!

Ah, yes, that's the one that sets concrete, sand, water, and test engineers on fire, isn't it?

You Am I posted:

So 8 years ago?

Yes. Didn't you notice?
argh, 2021, but I'm leaving the typo.

STR posted:

I'm already well stocked on Dude Wipes, thank you very much.

So, that bit there about being flushable isn't a lie, exactly, but those things are apparently a major cause of fatbergs. Well, mainly the ones intended for babies and ladies, but same thing with different perfumes.
So don't flush them if you like plumbing that works.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Cage posted:

I use wipes exclusively. I accidentally flushed a cap to a hair spray down the tube too.

Me irl.

“Water go down hooooooole!”

Rhyno posted:

That is not weird and is in fact 100% normal.

This is why I refuse to sell to friends or family, usually. I don’t want to hear about it or work on it anymore.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I once traded a Jeep in that no longer had an AC compressor and they called me and told me I needed to pay for that repair since I didn't mention it when I traded it in. As I had paid the balance in cash I told them I wouldn't be doing that and hung up.

So, "buyer beware" only applies to you, not the dealer, eh? :fuckoff: You didn't *ask* if it had working AC, either.

No, but sometimes I meet cool people and chat with them longer than I usually do.

I sold our LS430 to a friend a few years ago but I knew it was a good car so I wasn't worried about it. She loves it and hasn't had any problems with it.

Questionable cars tho? No way.

I have friends and family that could break ball bearings in a sandbox.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

They did an inspection, it's not my fault they were dummies.

Exactly!

quote:

MS6 is up for sale. Makes me a little sad to even post the ad.

I keep delaying putting up our Kia for sale, because it's actually a handy little reasonably fuel-efficient hatchback. And reasonably fun to drive since it'a a manual. Way easier to park than my Crown Vic...
I also haven't put the AE86 up yet because I'm not prepared to deal with the ascended level of dickery associated with Otaku cars.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

Pearl Jam's latest tour has a situation in place where you cannot resell the tickets for more than either a 10% or a $10 markup and I think the most expensive ticket was $125.

I read an article about this on their fanclub website a few weeks ago when they were promoting the tour, which is why that little tidbit stuck with me. Kind of cool and seems to be a trend with bands doing verified fanclub things etc. with the idea of getting tickets into the hands of fans, not reseller/broker scum.

I got tickets just yesterday early through a "verified fan" thing, an attempt to get the tickets into the hands of fans at face price. It worked pretty well for me.
LOL at any band being able to control a price in the secondary market. What are they going to do, send the police?

everdave posted:

My community was recently ROCKED by a massive tornado and there is absolutely nothing going on at grocery stores.

See, that makes sense, but water shouldn't be a problem in the event of an outbreak. Toilet paper and food could be affected if shipping/manufacturing are shorthanded, but water isn't usually trucked in.
I read that the regular flu killed 80,000 people over 2017-2018. COVID-19 isn't anywhere near that, though it's mortality rat vs. infected is higher.
Also, I'm not old (OK, kinda - I'm 50), nor do I live in a too-densely populated area whose primary form of medicine is Traditional Chinese superstition. So not too worried.

Sold cars:
I only know where two are, I think. My Jeep is very definitely in my friend's driveway, after being hit front and rear multiple times (guy just attracts inattentive drivers - same thing has already happened to the Jeep's replacement), but what really killed it is he lost the lower radiator hose and cooked the 2.5 to death. It will run, but it's very unhappy about it, and seems to be a 3-cylinder now. He cooked it because he didn't replace the temp gauge sender when that died, which is 100% his fault, and he knows it. The other car I think I know where it is, is my Fiat 128 that was used for drivetrain parts for an X1/9 by a friend after a different friend rolled it over.
No clue where my '78 Monza, '81 Buick Regal, '90 RX-7, or '68 El Camino are. The first two are likely in the scrapyard or a new Chinese car, though last I heard, the Buick was on its way to becoming a lowrider, so may have survived. I hope the El Camino is still kicking in loving hands. I should have kept that. The kid that bought my RX-7 had to sell it last I heard, then he was killed in a motorcycle accident, so can't really follow up. Oh, and the '84 RX-7 GSL-SE. I wish I knew what was happening with that one. He was a Puerto Rican dude who was going to make it something interesting.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

bandman posted:

Ugh, all of this and now I have to fly for work next week (doing in install in Arlington, TX). I’ll just have to fly early and try not to touch anything. I’ll bring Lysol wipes for anything I have to touch.

All of this to work at a landfill for a week :v:

If you're actually doing Arlington's landfill on State Highway 157, please be sure and laugh at the very expensive housing/mixed use development ("Veridian") that was built directly across the road, on a former flood plain. I do, every time I drive by.

Elmnt80 posted:

Hey, my hometown! Enjoy the complete lack of public transit, stay way the gently caress away from the parks mall and do not speed in pantego or dalworthington gardens.

It's been a decade since I lived there or I'd recommend a good food joint or two. What part of Arlington will you be in?

If he's doing the landfill, he should be right there by the Arlington, er, Dallas Cowboys AT&T Stadium.

STR posted:

Habanero's The Taco Revolution is decent, they're in a Valero on E Lamar. They do a good knockoff of El Paso's Chico's Tacos too.

And uh... yeah, don't speed.

Since he seems to enjoy garbage dumps, guessing he'll be by the dump that some smart developer built a new high end housing development around. I wound up running Amazon packages out there quite a few times, holy hell the STENCH around those $1M houses...

Exactly.
There's also Al's Hamburgers at 157 and NE Green Oaks, and, if you like pubs, The Fox & Hound right next door to it.
There's a Torchy's Tacos at about I-30 and 157, too. A bit north, there's Euless, with a bunch of stuff. Fuzzy's Tacos on Highway 10 for example. Most of the stuff I frequent is chains, because my wife doesn't like a lot of the stuff I like, and definitely doesn't like "weird" stuff <sigh>.

I'll have to try out Habenero's myself.

Ether Frenzy posted:

The Pearl Jam tickets are only valid if used via the Ticketmaster app, no physical tickets will be accepted so if it's possible to control a price that's how it's possible.

I guess obviously you can try and get someone to give you some cash in addition to you transferring the tickets to their account via the app at face value but that seems like a lot of work and won't really drive prices up the way arbitrary resale pricing can.

Yeah, OK, I guess that would do it.
Sorry, I'm an old guy, and despite being in IT, I still don't think in purely digital terms.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

STR posted:

And if we feel sick at all, we're supposed to self isolate. Except we have a semi strict attendance policy.

That right there is American business in a nutshell. Say the words, but don't walk the walk.
American healthcare, too, for that matter.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Elmnt80 posted:

My problem is just I haven't been in over 10 years so most of the places I could recommend may be long gone. Or I've forgotten them in the last decade+. Though I think Airways in North Central Arlington is still there and makes a nice greasy charcoal grilled burger in a airplane themed place. Nizza pizza does a good new york style pizza if you're in the mood and even sells by the slice. Never ate at the original by Arlington High, but I ate at the now closed location by my highschool plenty. Colter's is consistently decent for a small chain BBQ joint, but with some looking around there's plenty of hole in the walls that will beat it. hosed if I can remember any right now though. :v:

Airways apparently is still on Collins, and, somehow, I'd never heard of it. Thanks!
Ditto for Nizza Pizza on Lamar, though I'm uncertain if "Bek's Nizza Pizza" is related in any way to the location on South Cooper.

Just drive up and down State Highway 157/Collins. You'll find something. Certainly a lot of the chains, if you can't find something unique. There's a Hooters right at I30, for example, and one of the few remaining Chotchkie's TGI Fridays.
Holy poo poo! there's a K1 Speed on Lamar. I had no idea there was a location there.

Edit: the only location for Colter's listed in Arlington is South Arlington, and, as STR noted, might be suspect.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

ryanrs posted:

I only stocked up on TP because other people were buying it out. (And once I've committed to ordering TP online, I'm going to get a big box.)

Dunno about the water though, that just seems strange.

It's a knee-jerk. It's "what you do" ina disaster, only most people are used to natural disaster like floods, fires, and earthquakes that can and will kill power for lengthy periods, not bio-disasters that do... whatever it is COVID-19 is doing. Disturb supply lines, mainly.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

bandman posted:

I believe that’s the one. Guys onsite already said there’s a bunch of housing around it and they are super hyperactive about any potential odors. We do wellfield automation to optimize their gas quality and flow at the plant where they clean up the gas and send it down the retail pipeline.

That’s pretty cool. I love the idea of turning trash into something useful. Bonus points for basically keeping the landfill from blowing up and/or burning.
Sadly, that’s probably affecting my natural gas lease dividends, but I can live with that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

We have a new guy starting tomorrow named Raphael and I am hype because now we have all four Ninja Turtles in the building.

You’re a nerd, and I like you for it.

The EVs I want are still too expensive for me, so until they get cheaper it's ICE ICE baby :v:

This.
A Leaf would be *almost* ideal for my commute. I’m not a fan (no pun intended) of the lack of active cooling on the battery pack. It gets mighty hot here in TX in the summer, and occasionally cold enough to affect the battery pack as well. Not that anything new is in my price range anyway.

kastein posted:

I'm seriously looking forward to electric swaps being as junkyard-able and cheap as LS swaps are now.

Absolutely. Or even reasonably price turn-key “crate” power trains. I’d love for one of my RX-7s to hum in a different way.

Ferremit posted:

Coincidently, we have one of the Mitsi Outlander PHEVS at work- The ones that are a plug in hybrid.

We also dont have a charging station at work. It was forced on us as part of a departmental directive, but there was no funding for the $7K for the big charger for it.

We also dont have any external power points near where you could charge it off the 10A single phase option, so the only charging it gets is regenerative going down the hills.

The thing has a worse average fuel consumption than my 3 tonne, 4.2L diesel landcruiser!

Nice to know that US companies and government don’t have a lock on stupid, I guess.

T-Square posted:

Lol I gave three weeks notice and my replacement isn't starting until the week I'm gone.

Come the 23rd there won't be a soul in this building that knows how to run payroll. I'm sure that will end well.

Just gonna go ahead and make sure I pay out my remaining vacation myself before I go:ninja:

Speaking of corporate stupidity.
drat right you better get that done.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

Clearly the answer is to cut the CDC and all those bullshit social programs that welfare queens are sponging off us hardworking honest taxpayers with :pseudo:

Or maybe start with *not* building a $10B Wall.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

Wait you actually want to solve the problem, that's not allowed. Gotta just gently caress up the budget and then blame the poors.

Oh, my bad. What was I *thinking*?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

T-Square posted:

No because I can guarantee I'd have to hire an attorney or some poo poo to get them to actually pay me after the fact. After 5:00PM on the 20th I will be completely cutting off all contact with anyone working for this store and company.

Good for you.
:sever:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

RC plane turbines like the concept Jag from a few years back. Run those fuckers on biodiesel. Output shaft straight into the alternator/generator.
Hell bolt them to the hood like the hoonicorn has the snails.

Rig up an afterburner for extra kW charger/overboost to the motors.

Holy poo poo, I like that idea a lot.

Beach Bum posted:

fuckin' lol my boss expected me to go to work the night of the day I had my surgery and was on percocet like fuckin loooooooool.

I've been friends with this dude for over a decade but sometimes he has some really asinine ideas.

You should have gone ahead and done it. A little loopy hallucinating on the job should trigger the "bet you won't do *that* again..." response.

I've had my Ryobi mower for two years now and it's awesome, if it died today it still would have been worth the $300 I paid for it, but it still keeps chugging along. During the summer months it gets used twice a week on some thick grass that my gas mower would bog down in, this thing just plows right through it.

All my yard tools a ryobi now and they all work flawlessly.

I'm honestly waiting for my Yard Machines gas mower to die so I can get an electric, probably 40V Ryobi. I can't really justify the expense until then, and the stupid old-school sidevalve Briggs just keeps going. 20 years so far.

Taxes: Given what some of you folks are dealing with, I guess I shouldn't complain that we (my wife and I) owed $1500 this year, because we didn't adjust our W2s (or one of them, anyway) to account for the loss of our dependent child credit. Mind you, she only turned 18 in November, so we *should* have kept the credit, but gently caress you IRS. Dependent credit drops from $2000 for child to $500 for just "dependent", so there's the $1500 right there. Plust the motherfuckers have the unmitigated gall to fine me $36 for underpaying taxes. And have you *seen* the new W2 forms? Can't just do a certain number of withholdings now - you have to calculate and give them a specific $ amount, which requires knowing what your anticipated income will be, among other things.
I reiterate - gently caress the IRS.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

heffray posted:

Highlander is the direct "Avalon, but taller / bigger" option, but has the pricing disadvantage that people are actually buying vehicles of that type. This doesn't sound like a purchasing decision where a bunch of objective opinions from the internet are going to be useful: if she can make an Avalon work with the entire 3" of extra length over the Camry (which is very much too small, at exactly the same size as her 2003 Avalon), do that. If taller is important, get the CUV version but expect to pay for it.

Yeah I don’t get where a Camry would be significantly smaller than an Avalon, especially an older one. Car models, as a rule, don’t get smaller over time. Though I could understand the interiors getting more cramped or ergonomically difficult. That happens.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i cannot believe i got goatsed in tyool 2020

So, I’m going to guess this is a thing for the website, but not the app?
Main page?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

STR posted:

Speaking from the student perspective, a lot of people that normally do fantastic in the classroom just suck when it comes to online classes. I'm one of those people. Online classes don't work for me at all, in-person classes do.

Agreed. I love the concept of online classes, and convenience, but I flat out won't focus well if left to my own devices. A classroom sort of triggers or enforces "learning!" behavior in me.

KillHour posted:

Funny thing is I'm the total opposite. I need to be able to rewind the video because I literally cannot listen and take notes at the same time. I can learn really fast, but only if it's at my own pace with some hands on stuff happening.

That's the part that works. It's just getting my own mind in the right frame that's difficult. I'm easily distracted.

Rhyno posted:

Well one of the fucksticks at work announced that the entire thing is a hoax and we have nothing to worry about, the flu kills more people etc etc, all the Trumper Fox News talking points.

He's a disgusting person physically, his hygiene is non existent, we doubt he bathes daily. And he always wants to shake hands and hugs people without warning.

So I'm loving terrified if touching him. Our handbook says employees are required to practice good hygiene behaviors but how to you FORCE someone to be clean?

That's a problem for HR. *You* just avoid them.

cakesmith handyman posted:

One of our maintenance trainees was this person a couple of years back, he was explicitly told he'd be sent home unpaid if he turned up stinking again so he involved the Union, the rep told him he wouldn't represent him unless he had a shower every day and that the company was being quite reasonable. He chose to leave after a couple of days of being sent home.

I can't imagine choosing unemployment over taking a shower.
I *like* being clean.

rdb posted:

If its any consolation the disease seems to hit the MAGA demographic the worst. 70+, pre existing conditions, smokers etc. We are more likely to survive.

That's grim, but true.

The Door Frame posted:

I wish I could work from home, construction would be so much easier if I never had to go onto a jobsite. At least I'll be able to weld from home if my classes are put on hold :v:

One of our subcontractors got back from Poland last week with a wicked cough that he was kind enough to share with me and I've been running fevers since Saturday and almost threw up from the dizziness yesterday. I can't take time off or go to the doctor because I need the money from working, thanks Uncle Sam!

I'm a contractor, so no sick time, and I'm a literal computer toucher so can't WFH.
Hopefully everyone *else* will WFH so I don't have to touch them or their computer.
Thoughts and prayers please, because we all know how well they work.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

slidebite posted:

^^ Long ways away from September boss, wait a little. Although, if you cancel now with no charge, you might get a kick-rear end rate if you rebook! :buddy:

That's a thought. The travel/destination industry is going to be *hurting* in a few months.

slidebite posted:

^^ My wife wants to go to Disneyland, and I've never been so I'd entertain the idea personally.

I want to go to whichever Disney it is that has the Star Wars stuff, because I want to fly the Falcon. I'm not even a huge SW nerd, but enough of one. And my wife wants to take our daughter (who is now 18... so a little late.) Guess that will be even later, now (not that we had a trip planned before this.)

IOwnCalculus posted:

Injected, inspected, detected, infected, neglected and selected?

Now go over there and sit on the "Group W" bench.

Powershift posted:

I’m stuck in an overcapacity hospital for at least another 3 weeks, And just got another infusion of immune suppressants so I’m already dead, rip

Jesus, that seems like bad timing, but I assume it's unavoidable.
God speed and good luck, I guess.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3URhJx0NSw

gently caress he's predicting it's going to last 3 to 6 months

Jesus Christ. Information we need, but scary.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Krakkles posted:

Is that info available anywhere except Joe Rogan? I'd trust it a whole lot more if it were anywhere else.

Don't get your news from shock celebrities, guys.

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/

edit: (which is where Michael, the interviewee, is from)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Cyborg bodies will be handed out when required.

I'm on board.

edit:

There's a shortage of big tiddie anime catgirl bodies, so no.

...oh. Well, now I don't know.
Not for *me*! I'd like to bring my waifu wife along. So, sort of for me, I guess.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 13, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

My workplace decided late yesterday, and sent an email this morning, that all employees will work from home starting Monday.
Well, hey thanks for that. I'm IT, a literal computer toucher, and I have to deal with this crap all of a sudden. We got literally half a day's warning yesterday. Most of these folks have never WFH before. *Then* they said they could take "necessary supplies and equipment" which then had to be clarified (to one of their monitors, *if* we could find a stand for it -we switched almost everything to desk-mounted adjustable arms last year.) It's been a bit of a madhouse. This on top of all the stuff I already needed to do, with four new hires starting Monday that we did not get notice or info for until mid-week. At least everyone already has a laptop, the VPN software is already on 90% of them, and 2-factor is already set up for accessing other systems. Right now we're only doing this until the end of the month.
Literally right now, at 5:30 PM, is the first opportunity I've had to shitpost. I'm tired and I hurt, and there will be a *lot* of simulated killing tonight. I'ma kill any fool who gives me the finger or cuts me off in traffic in GTA V.

I, of course, being a computer toucher will not be working from home.
On the plus side, empty, quiet office, and I can use *their* shitpaper.
I should buy a bidet for the house.

My daughter's school just extended Spring Break two more weeks.

Someone infect me now so I can just get it over with already.

Anyone know how to remove or at least disable a car alarm system correctly? I just bought a car with one and I'm pretty annoyed with it already.

There's usually two fuses, one battery + and one ignition +. Pull 'em, then try to start the car. If it's been wired with a fail-secure starter interrupt, you'll need to do a bit more work.

Goober Peas posted:

It's highly dependent on it being installed correctly. If you're annoyed, it probably wasn't.

meatpimp posted:

And removal difficulty is typically inversely proportional to the quality of the installation.

There's also that.
Wish you were in the Dallas area - I'm good at that poo poo. I used to put them in.

gently caress.....Well is there a way i can at least disable it until i can figure out how to get it the gently caress out?

[e] it's this system here looks pretty cheap and simple

https://www.amazon.com/Audiovox-PRO...AAFSNYR52ANEKBX

I'm afraid if I just start removing poo poo the car won't start or run

That's always a possibility. Pull the fuses, try it, put them back if it won't start. Shouldn't hurt anything.
That's not a bad brand - I have several K-9s - and it should have the two fuses that I describe in the harness. Red and yellow for the wires, as I recall. There may be a white wire with a fuse as well - that's the flashing lights output.

edit: what's it doing to annoy you? I've had pretty good luck with K9 stuff.
edit 2: hang on - why the gently caress does the URL say "Audiovox PRO9776A", the actual product is a K9 Mundial, and the page says it's made by Avital? That's three separate unrelated alarm/electronics companies.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 14, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Anyone else have any family and/or friends in complete denial? I asked my brother if he had any N95 respirators just in case (he's a painter/handyman) and he thought I was joking. He thinks it's just an old person's problem and everything will be fine. And I have a buddy that's just acting like nothing is happening, head in the sand, doesn't want to talk about it.

I'm thinking that if it does get really bad, the panic will really set in when all these people in denial realize it ain't a joke or something to ignore.

Thanks man, I'm gonna take a shot at it tomorrow. Mind if I PM you if I'm having issues?

Sure, though I can’t guarantee I’ll respond in a timely manner. I tend to ignore the internet during the day on weekends. You only get this response because I’m out with my wife doing laundry, because our plumbing is officially hosed. More on that later, I guess.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oooooffffff. Sucks.

Odds are that alarm only has one circuit that actually interrupts anything, and it's probably the biggest wire in the whole thing since it's expected to trigger the starter. My TJ had something similar installed and the actual starter wire from the ignition switch was the only one that was actually cut and spliced, so I had to re-splice it together. Everything else was T-taps.

Nah, almost every alarm uses a relay for starter interrupt. So the actual wire form the alarm is like 18 ga. Point still stands to some extent, though, since there will be a relay with a pair of 10-12 ga. wires on it going into the car’s harness. I like to hide mine when I do an install, make stuff un-obvious, but that depends on quality of install, of course.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Greek Orthodox here is saying that the POWAAA OF CHRIST will prevent praishioners from getting Boomer Remover.

Hey dickheads, that's not how it works. Your prayers and rituals dont stop viruses. loving hell sure believe and all that but dont blind yourself to the reality of disease here

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-14/church-religious-groups-say-coronavirus-cannot-infect-them/12055476

God helps those who help themselves.
It doesn't always have to be a miracle, you fucks. Help God out by not being an idiot. Geeze, even the Mormons are canceling services. God will understand, pretty sure.

LloydDobler posted:

My first engineering mentor was a brilliant engineer, and also a very devout christian. He was a missionary pilot for several years in his earlier life, flying missionaries around South America. He tells a great story on this subject:

As he was watching a group load a plane with all their luggage and cargo, he could tell that it was becoming overloaded. He pointed it out and started removing the least necessary things. "Wait, just a minute Dave" says the head missionary. "Let's pray for a safe flight". He agrees, they stop and pray. And as soon as they said "Amen" he continued unloading the plane until it was safe. The head missionary was confused, and Dave explained that God gave us the laws of physics and the knowledge and judgment to work within them. You don't just get to pray for a miracle any time you want one.

Basically, we should treat knowledge as a gift from God, which includes medicine. Ignoring it shows a lack of faith, not an abundance of it.

Also like the joke about the guy in a flood. The sheriff shows up in a 4x4, "hey man, a flood's coming!" "No thanks, God will save me." The waters rise and he goes to his second floor. A crew comes by in a boat. "Hey man, get in, it's going to get worse". "No thanks, God will save me". The waters rise even more, and he climbs on to his roof. A helicopter arrives and lowers a rope. "Grab on, the waters are still rising!" "No thanks, God will save me!"

The man drowns, and standing before God he says "God, why didn't you save me?" And God says "I sent a car, a boat, and even a helicopter, what the gently caress else was I supposed to do?"

That's a much nicer way to put it than I managed.

My company is now WFH, but... I'm not. I'm a computer toucher, and actually have to physically touch computers, so.
I don't really want to WFH - I'm lazy and ineffective enough at work, much less left on my own at home.
Highways were pretty noice this morning, and there's only about 15-20 people on my floor. I haven't checked the other floors. We're 5 floors, around 400 people, usually.

slidebite posted:

Motherfucking chiropractors are going around saying they can "BOOST YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM AND STOP CORONAVIRUS"

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/ch...rom-coronavirus

Oh, goddamit.
poo poo like that makes me livid. It's really hard for me to convince people my sister is a "real" doctor, when a number of her profession are no better than the crystal and essential oil hawkers.

The Prong Song posted:

On a similar note. Tried to get some anhydrous isopropyl alcohol to clean cat piss out of keyboard electronics - everywhere's completely sold out. Morons buying it because lower-purity and hydrous isopropyl alcohol is sold out, and it's sold out because double-morons are buying it to make homemade hand sanitizer. JUST USE SOAP, PEOPLE!

Go do what a friend of mine did and get store-brand 190-proof "Neutral Spirits" at your local liquor store.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Automotive illustrator has uploaded some line drawings for any car-obsessed kids (big or small) to colour in...

https://twitter.com/thefinaltenth/status/1238745007575703552?s=20

Not gonna lie, I downloaded it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MomJeans420 posted:

My Toto seat from Home Depot arrived today, hoping this drastically extends the life of my somewhat limited TP supply. I wanted one ever since going to Japan, this seemed like as good a reason as any. This is the entry level seat from Toto, but you can spend A LOT more on a seat if you're inspired.

Hah, all the round, white ones are out of stock @ HD.
Still can get from Amazon third-party, at least.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Amazon has 900 sheets of toilet paper for $14 in stock for those of you without a power outlet in your toilet-cubicle.

There are also purely mechanical bidets. Basically just has a mechanical timer on the valve.

NitroSpazzz posted:

We talked about getting one of those but we have a heated toilet seat and can't give that up. I guess I'll have to see if they make a heated bidet.

They do.
https://washlet.totousa.com/

kastein posted:

Ahahaha holy loving assballs Dow down 3k TODAY? THAT AWESOME TRUMP ECONOMY AW YEAH

and yes before anyone with an orange nose says otherwise, he owns this, he fired his entire pandemic team at the NSC and DHS 2 loving years ago and didn't replace them OR the white house management team that handled them. Good thing we saved a couple million dollars by not paying those people to nip this in the bud though

Jesus, I hope no one who voted against this ridiculous shambolic mess dies. If you voted for it, well you got what you asked for, thoughts and prayers for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hks6Nq7g6P4

Tomarse posted:

I've run out of paint stripper and am low on latex gloves to use with it. Just gone to buy some more of both and loving bastards seem to have bought up all the stock of latex gloves.

Just buy real chemical gloves to use with it. I prefer the longer gauntlets anyway.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

More colouring pages from an artist whose style I loving ADORE. Seriously, this guy is fantastic so again, kids big or small should check out his cars.

https://twitter.com/greatistheworld/status/1239711086124949504?s=20

I want this driving game:

Those are awesome. Definitely downloaded.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

slidebite posted:

Gun? Preparing for a walking dead scenario or something?

Probably more like looting fuckstick scenario.
Or maybe just "have fun shooting a gun" planned before all this went to poo poo.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

meatpimp posted:

How are y'all gonna spend your free government money?

My what?
Tax refund?

I owe the motherfuckers $1500, because my daughter turned 18 in November, and that somehow means she wasn't a dependent child 11/12 of the year, just a dependent, which is a difference of...$1500. Also, these assholes have the unmitigated gall to penalize me for not having enough tax withheld from my paycheck. You're getting your money, fools. gently caress off.
Oh, and have you seen the new W2? Good luck figuring out what you're supposed to have withheld now.

Geoj posted:

They're not even going to play the Reaganomics card - they'll roll out the "these companies are too big to fail and will drag down the entire economy if we don't bail them out" boogeyman.

gently caress 'em. Let 'em fail so new smaller companies can get a toehold.
I'm done with that bullshit line of thinking. "Too big to fail" is just plain "too big", period.

This is perfect.

First confirmed death from COVID-19, an elderly patient, in Tarrant County (Fort Worth) TX.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Another thing is that the mental impact on a lot of people going to be severe. A lot of people going to off themselves as support groups have been kicked apart as well.

Oh, poo poo. I hadn't thought of that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

meatpimp posted:

And $2k in pocket isn't but the tiniest fraction of what I've lost in the market, so gently caress this country's denial of a problem until it's getting punched in the face with it.

Yeah, I’m afraid to go look at my IRA and 401(k).

But what really rankles me? I bet the “Animaniacs Live” concert I was going to go to in April is canceled.

Edit: I misremembered! It’s in June - still a chance it’ll happen.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 18, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

rdb posted:

I get it, I didn’t show up myself, only called the hotline twice now. I had some shortness of breath yesterday morning. Didn’t collapse but came close trying to shower for work. Still told I won’t be tested. I bought a pulse oximeter, I was in the low 90s yesterday, around 93-94. Feel better today, its up to 97-98. The results aren’t diagnostic and kinda meaningless, I know, just using it as an indicator of when its bad enough to justify risking going to the ER.

My problem comes from people like my boss operating under the assumption that its not in my area, its a democratic hoax, we stay open and take no actions.

I get no extra PTO, we don’t have sick leave anyway, just PTO. I can’t even take time off unpaid without going through the FMLA process which requires a primary care doctor visit. I don’t have a primary care physician, she quit last year to spend time with her kids. Even if I did, not all of them will sign papers and those that do charge a FMLA fee not covered by insurance. Using FMLA also requires approval from a third party company, Unum. If unum says it was ok, then and only then can you get the day off, unpaid. Unum has strict timelines on when you can call and report the absence. You have to notify your employer separately as well. The whole process is required because people abuse the gently caress out of FMLA so its not really something you can get overnight because you have some cold/flu symptoms.

:911:?

Definitely :gop:

edit: also definitely :capitalism:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Geoj posted:

you can't return until you pass a covid19 test, which they're not giving anyone under the age of 60 and without a referral from a doctor in Ohio.

Bureaucracy at its finest.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Well luckily (or not lucky at all) I have the VA or I'd be screwed.

Something tells me I wouldn't be let in unless I was almost dead tho.

Sounds about right from what I've seen second-hand of the VA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

rdb posted:

Both sides of the isle here. I have employees that have it for whatever reason. They ask for a day off to go kayaking, already have too many people off that day making it impossible to run an assembly line. I deny it, they phone in FMLA, post pictures on FB kayaking. People get it for their back pain or whatever, phone one in every Friday. Sometimes Monday too. Use it as an excuse to leave if it gets too hot or they get told something they don’t like. The problem is, they have a position. We have caught people using FMLA to go work at another job. I can’t hire someone to replace them every time they use a day. I do have people that can fill in, but only a handful, once call ins exceed that handful, production slips and I get chewed out, loose 7% of my pay etc.

I get it, my wife used it when she was pregnant and when the kids arrived, I had it to cover doctors appointments for my son with achondroplasia, it serves a much needed purpose. But assuming everyone who has it uses appropriately is false.

That really sounds like an HR problem to me. You fire people who abuse systems.

Beach Bum posted:

You might wanna make that 8 figures, 6 is a pretty low bar; I cleared that in October at 31, and I'm definitely not one of the "elite".

Edit: actually, with the loving beating my retirement accounts have taken over this I might be a "poor" again.

I'd say 7 figures, but someone elsewhere pointed out that millionaires really should be on the same side as us under-millionaires against the billionaires in terms of taxes and such.