Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah ppl post ur catalogs

here's my catalog. i've been doing this poo poo for like 25 years now.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/178583-Relative-Q
https://www.discogs.com/artist/1542060-RCMP

there's a bunch of poo poo i released in the tracker scene way back in the day that isn't listed there, but honestly it's not really worth a poo poo comparatively.

relative_q fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

echinopsis posted:

do u guys have a workflow? like start with a beat then do bass or what?

my workflow changes depending on weather patterns, the phase of the moon, and my diet

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

Silver Alicorn posted:

So yesterday I learned that Nobuo Uematsu composed on and directly sampled from a Roland SC88 Pro for Final Fantasy 7 and 8. Now I really want to get one or a software equivalent

sampled from? a roland sc88 is just a sample playback module, there's no synthesis going on there at all. uematsu recorded playback from that module for the soundtrack, and that's it.

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

http://ultrawizardsword.net/s/ozark-bass-attack/

you can just ctrl-f 290 on the left side index frame and get most of the ones i put out in those days

here is the complete jonny 290 ultrawizardsword catalog, if you include the link above:

http://ultrawizardsword.net/s/nargle-bargle/
http://ultrawizardsword.net/s/an-unexpected-turn-of-events/
http://ultrawizardsword.net/s/extravaganza/
http://ultrawizardsword.net/s/ozark-bass-attack-the-final-transformation/

speaking of, we gotta get you on the schedule again, jonny.

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

Penisface posted:

the uws backlog is huge, i started listening at one point but got turned off by the "boring" house/techno sets that just weren't my taste back then. jonny's dnb set was pretty much the sole exception

might give it a shot again now that times are different and i really appreciate long dj sets without any mc talking over them

you should go through the archived sets and download a few of mine. they're all techno, but i have pretty eclectic taste in that kinda poo poo

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah i noticed the schedule is booked up through at least june so didn't want to be too thirsty, but i will take next available for sure

we've got you on the schedule for august 7

holler at me with whatever your current affiliations and poo poo are these days

relative_q fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 3, 2020

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

jonny 290 (dude in a shed, ar)

Jonny 290 posted:

oh i love you, thanks so much

i uh am just a dude in a shed right now. i'll come up with something and will let you know

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

a neurotic ai posted:

idk if anybody has posted this yet but ableton has reset their trial and extended it to 90 days.

Time to see if I can finally grok the workflow

ableton is the poo poo and has been my weapon of choice for many moons now

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

ableton is insanely flexible but you have to pick a side. i never had any luck trying to hop between its more DAW-ish multitrack mode and clip view.

for what its worth ableton and its looper plugin is what i used for my live pa bass guitar project a while back. it worked v well for that

fwiw, my affinity for ableton is probably related to me coming up through the tracker scene and spending ages using buzz, which has a pretty similar method of arrangement.

however, ableton and an apc40 is THE poo poo, and has been my weapon of choice for a very long time. you write out the clips, then use the apc to jam out your arrangements. unfortunately, i don't think the apc is manufactured anymore, but its replacement is the push, which i don't have any firsthand experience with so i can't say anything good or bad about it other than the pictures i've seen of it have PRETTY LIGHTS

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

Convoolio posted:

I learnt synthesis on Analog and Operator. Looking back, those two synths are quite restrained in their design, which is quite rare for softsynths. sound great too

lmao i learned synthesis on a yamaha dx7 and an ensoniq esq1

this is why i've always been a glutton for interface punishment

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

one of my absolute white whales is a tx816

eight dx7's in a blade chassis.

yours and mine both, man.

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

the only plugin you need is Butch Vig Vocals

check out my steampunck watch

holy hell is this atrocious

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

correct

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91pz1E8pAOY

beating the drums like they owe her money

every time someone posts a video of this kid it brings a tear to my eye, man. she's loving awesome, and her foot barely reaches the kick pedal, which makes it even better.

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

echinopsis posted:

is there a benefit to proper weighted keys on a keyboard?

is it simply because it feels like a real piano? or does it literally make it easier or better to play?

in 99% of cases players like weighted keys because it makes the instrument feel more like a real piano. if i'm playing a gig where i'm not trying to rip sick synth solos or anything like that, weighted keys are nice. if i am trying to rip those sick synth solos, i prefer semi-weighted actions, because they're much faster. keep in mind, though, that an electronic keyboard even with a fully-weighted action is never going to feel 100% like a real acoustic piano simply because the mechanics of the actions are so different.

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

MrQueasy posted:

As a piano player who learned on acoustic pianos, the difference between weighted and unweighted keys is kindof like comparing mechanical keyboards to "regular" keyboards. Like they're both fine and useful in their own way... but if I want to go fast and hit a lot of notes correctly at the right... timbre... without having to look at your hands, I prefer the weighted keys. There's just something about unweighted keys that make me expend more brain power on controlling the keypresses...

personally, if i'm tryin to rip some fast licks, the un/semi-weighted keyboard is the go-to. those actions are so much faster, especially considering that so many of the fully-weighted electronic keyboard actions end up being hella mushy

relative_q fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 4, 2021

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

apparently some service uploaded some of my old tracker-scene poo poo to youtube a while back, so i thought i'd share. this is a remix i did years ago of one of my own tracks primarily by taking the original, cutting it up into big chunks, and rearranging it into funky patterns. add some big drums and BOOM. the release date given in the the info on youtube is wildly incorrect, though - this was released on a 5-track ep i did on the chill productions netlabel back in 2004.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQymtEcuPoU

if you want to listen to the whole ep, the playlist for it is here: youtube.com/watch?v=J7fVc_drF6w&list=OLAK5uy_kKXswv6N5KNnXHXqulXI0NfRsI4aeT18o

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

Tayter Swift posted:

borrowing this from the music library atm in preparation for the new mpc im getting

that's a cool old drum machine for sure, but it will in no way prepare you for using an mpc.

which model mpc are you getting, anyway?

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

i am extremely excited that the new dj mixer i bought for myself as a 40th birthday present is projected to ship tomorrow. if not tomorrow, soon. i cannot wait, because my old one has been dead for too long despite me having had it repaired by a Professional Repair Person a while back, and i have bought a metric shitton of records in the time that it's been out of commission. it'll be good to have my entire studio running at 100% again.

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I knew it was something that started with R! I'll check out the demo, $80 is basically free when it comes to DAWs, drat

if you're looking for tracker-style production suites, and feel like you'd rather spend that $80 on beer, you could try buzz first: http://jeskola.net/buzz/

i produced shitloads of music with this software over the years. it takes some getting used to, as its interface is pretty different from any other production suite i've ever used, but once you "get it", it owns

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

pollyanna i bought a fat audio interface (8i6) so i wouldn't need a mixer and it was a mistake. i would've been better served with a mixer going into a much smaller interface, and it probably would've been cheaper

the good thing about having a big fat audio interface, though, is that you can track multiple instruments simultaneously. using the "mixer into a smaller interface" method means you're stuck tracking only two channels at a time, and if you're like me, you've got way more poo poo than that going on at one time. i bought a focusrite scarlett 18i20 not too long ago, and 18 inputs is still not enough, really.

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

echinopsis posted:

and tbh I should just put all musical energy into getting better at keys, it's what's giving me the most joy, if I wasn't so hopeless I'd do lessons or something

man, you really ought to get yourself some lessons. it's really the best way to develop competency with any instrument. so many people who "teach themselves" to play end up with seriously bad technique that hinders their ability to improve and prevents them from getting competent enough to play real music. there's gotta be some music store or someplace like that in your area that offers private lessons, and the $20 or $30 per session it'll cost you is well worth it. i took private lessons on piano for nearly my entire childhood, and because of that i've been able to do some real serious gig work and make awesome music with other folks over the years.

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

also I’ve realized that I have the musical equivalent of analysis paralysis and I wonder if that’s a tism thing or sth cause it’s bizarre

four on the floor -> basic bassline -> oh no oh god uhhh what do I do

sometimes that's all it takes, man

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

i was in a 2 man ambient guitar/keyboard (we both played both) setup called hiways and byeways :3:

one time we got a gig at an indie coffee shop downtown in our small town, set up and started playing. about 35 minutes in the gruff rear end boomer owner stomped up to the stage and said "are yall gonna finish tuning up and play a song?"

"uhh we've been playing for a half hour"

"yall gotta go"

lmfao

this is perfect

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

idk if i ever posted this link here before, and as the forums search is poo poo™, i figured i'd just go ahead and let rip again.

this is the last release i put out (in collaboration with my buddy shawn) before i got hurt back in 2014, and it is one of the things in my discography that i am most proud of. we did a very limited vinyl run featuring sleeves that were hand-screened by shawn and i, and it's hilarious to me that someone is trying to sell a vg+ graded copy on the discogs marketplace for $50 (iirc we sold the brand-new records for like $10-$12 each back in 2014). i hope you jerks can dig it: https://brokenplanet.bandcamp.com/album/trust-us

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

idk if i'd posted any of my own work in this thread and i don't care to search through the whole drat thing but check this poo poo out, it's the last record i made back in 2014 along with a compatriot of mine -

https://brokenplanet.bandcamp.com/album/trust-us

i'm still workin on getting myself back into the production grind, but it's happening little by little. soon enough there will be NEW MUSIC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

i mentioned that paia fatman synth in the pics thread and i wanted to let you know that i was like getting ready to ship it to you when your bad poo poo happened. ive been hanging on to it for what, 8-9 years for ya. lmk when you get your desk set up and i'll clean it up and ship it over.

feel free to do so whenever you'd like, man. i got a lil studio corner set up, so i'll find/make room for it. :)