Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah ppl post ur catalogs

heres the best thing ive done, an ep that was written 100% while actually riding on the 15L bus in east denver, then mixed and finished after i got home from work

https://soundcloud.com/jonny290/sets/untitled-ep

done 100% with renoise and probably some old poo poo like sound forge to trim samples

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/566260654 i brought the twitch stream back here's an hour ish of drum and bass

traktor is fun

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thursday's dnb mix

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/576308850

starts around 4:00

this is the first one with my new traktor x1 box alongside the S2. its really fun and i am enjoying the setup so far

i feel like i wanna round it out with something like an apc40 or a maschine pad type box and then ill be happy. no need to get an s4 or s8

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
http://ultrawizardsword.net/s/ozark-bass-attack/

you can just ctrl-f 290 on the left side index frame and get most of the ones i put out in those days

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

relative_q posted:

speaking of, we gotta get you on the schedule again, jonny.

Yeah i noticed the schedule is booked up through at least june so didn't want to be too thirsty, but i will take next available for sure

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh i love you, thanks so much

i uh am just a dude in a shed right now. i'll come up with something and will let you know

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ableton is insanely flexible but you have to pick a side. i never had any luck trying to hop between its more DAW-ish multitrack mode and clip view.

for what its worth ableton and its looper plugin is what i used for my live pa bass guitar project a while back. it worked v well for that

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
one of my absolute white whales is a tx816

eight dx7's in a blade chassis.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
no

the dx7 was sixteen note polyphonic

that 816 is an entire 80's band in one box

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

wtf and this was the 80s?

yeah and it was $1995

a dx7 adjusted for inflation would be $4700 today

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
nah i dont buy synth hardware. computers are better than most old things if you are low on space

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my main problem with the $5,000 eurorack setups is never have i once ever seen a video or heard a song where anybody is doing anything but making random arpeggiated doodles and beep boops with no rhythm or backing tracks. i'm sure its fun to twiddle the knobs but its just a more expensive update of the old 'circuit bent' aesthetic.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
so does like aaaaaaanybody still use reason

i havent heard poo poo about it in years

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
big same

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Schindler's Fist posted:

You can now use VST’s in it.

jesus christ it only took nineteen years

nice

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

what is polyphonic after touch? is it just when the synth registers after touch individually for each key pressed?

my
bass station 2 has after touch it’s pretty neat

yeah its individual aftertouch for each key

honorary mention for the bass station 2 i saw in a pawn shop with a "BROKEN" sticker and a $20 price tag (im sure it was something stupid like a power jack or 1/4" out) and i skipped it, then came to my senses and went back two days later and it was gone

godspeed, sweet prince

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
id rather have four little 2 octave controllers with pads and knobs than some big fuckoff 88 key that i wouldnt be able to Play play anyways

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

toiletbrush posted:

This might have already been posted, but VCVRack is available on iOS !!

please tell me i can get the lightning to USB camera adapter and then hook up a USB midi controller

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
this dude was the flakiest person ive EVER seen on craigslist and it took him a month to actually get off his rear end and meet up

champion 100, $399 new, this thing's been played twice and i got it for $220

...now soldering up a guitar cable because whoops i dont have any lmao

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
at my peak hardcore/mathrock/weird noise phase of guitarin', i had like 7 pedals and a splitter driving:

Peavey 60 watt tube head driving a 2x12 cab
300 watt Peavey bass head feeding off it with a 4x10 and just doing the low end

it was unfathomably heavy, both in sound and weight

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'm actually also buying a Traktor 2-channel audio interface too because you get a really good 2channel input for $139, which is market rate for something like that, but until june 1 you also get Guitar Rig 5 for free with it which loving owns

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
honestly i'm ok with paying for stuff now. it's a privileged position, to be sure, but i am absolutely impressed with my S2 and X1 and am happy to throw money at Native Instruments

Free poo poo is super good though as long as they don't get too wacky with the interface

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I not only am not that good at guitar ( i never really learned my scales ) but i have eighteen years of cubital tunnel syndrome that i'm trying to now undo via some simple physical therapy exercises. I traded my rock status for my computer toucher status :(

all that matters is that you honk out some farts and have fun

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
realized that i only have embarrassing heavy metal shredmonster guitars and my original toy guitar, another order to Rondo

time to honk and tonk

161 bucks shipped

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
uhhh

left to right

* the new bass (ignore the sticker residue on the pickguard)
* ibanez rg570
* my second guitar of unknown make, i'm currently trying to ID it so I can find a replacement bridge as it's starting to fatigue. individual switches for each pickup from the factory, loaded with EMGs. its a neck thru with binding and i really dont wanna repaint it but it needs it
* 1965 Teisco Del Rey with a single ceramic pickup you can scream into if you have an overdrive pedal running. $35 in 1994

and yeah i lose knobs like crazy

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 5, 2020

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the original has some sort of octaver on it or at least some really tweaked in distortion. i say try to change that fuzz to more of a midrangey overdrive type thing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Tankakern posted:

is that third one a hamer guitar or something, i've got one that has the same style of tuning knobs at the base

I actually did a detective post in ML guitarthread to try to ID it.

Best lead is that it's an old JB Player with an extra knob drilled:

https://www.ebay.com/i/254581651687...AiABEgKYm_D_BwE

Bridge lines up (it's a ripoff accutune and i'm talking to a guy on whammyparts.com re: what i need to put a genuine Kahler bridge on), toggles, headstock, neckthrough all appear to be a perfect match.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
holy poo poo the bass amp guy got back to me, im glad i emailed him a second time

i've been looking for something i won't explode (the Fender is a guitar amp and you can't play a fuckin 5 string through that !!!!) and there were some lovely GK's and Fenders around, and then this popped up

Ashdown ABM C210H-500

Ashdown was founded by the guy that sold off Trace Elliot. tube preamp, 2x10 with a horn, five hundred and seventy-five watts lmao

going to look at it tonight

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Tayter Swift posted:

hi i made a new album last week

https://dumbledog.bandcamp.com/

oh hell yeah i will smoke weed and zone to this later, ty!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol gently caress

it's SO LOUD

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

KoRMaK posted:

lol all the alcohol is going to rumble right off

2 or 3 is comfortable house-filling volume. i hit one note at volume 7 and a beer can fell off the table on the other side of the room

it's STUPID

i LOVE IT

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Vintersorg posted:

omg what is that?? lol

got a vid?

No video yet because i do not have a mic that can properly capture the power

it's an Ashdown ABM 500 bass combo amp. Tube preamp, 7 band EQ, subharmonic generator for when you need EVEN MORE BASS, and 2 10" drivers plus a horn tweeter. British, even!

By itself it'll do about 350-400 watts and with an extension cab it's rated at 575

a nice woman was selling off the estate of a music dork that passed, and unwisely priced it at only 275 bucks

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
whip up some beats on fruityloops or somethin!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
truss rods are scary at first cause you get this KRAK as the rod suddenly lets go, but as long as you never go more than 1/4 turn at a time its fine

i had to do the truss rod, intonation and action height on my 5string bass and boy howdy if you think a guitar neck has some tension jeeeezus bass necks are 3x harder. it was actually reverse bowed when i got it

--why am i even posting this idk!

to adjust truss rods you need 3 hands or a capo - one finger on the first fret, another on the last, and a third to measure the distance between string and fret at the 12th. you want between 1-2 business cards of room generally

if theres not enough clearanceyou loosen 1/4 turn, if theres too much you tighten 1/4

the adjustment is generally best done if you detune all the strings first so the neck doesnt have a fuckin hundred and twenty pounds of tension on it and THAT is when you start thinking about one of those string winders that clamps into an electric screwdriver

even worse on basses where theres a fuckin 18:1 gear ratio on the tuners or something stupid

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah dude neck tension skyrockets with like the third power or something stupid as string gauge goes up. i run ernie ball super slinkys (0.009's) on my 'player guitars' and 0.011's that go up to railroad track gauges on my lovely old 60s strummer, and the tensions like a 2x diff.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah loving with the number and position of springs to get a floyd to work right with different string gauges is a time honored ~pain in the rear end~ i mean obsession

like you have five spring hooks (or should) and you can run 2, 3, 4 or 5 springs

and if you run 2 or 3 springs you can further play with which hook you connect them to, to raise tension a bit

pre:
o o o o o
|   |   |
o o o o o
vs this which will give a bit more tension without going to 4 springs

pre:
o o o o o
 \  |  /
o o o o o

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
content:

telecaster showed up

plays great, need to play with the string heights just a hair but it came in almost perfectly tuned and the truss rod is set up correctly

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you're really close. is that tuned down?

the base of the bridge (the part that has 'floyd rose') written on it should be exactly parallel to the face of the guitar.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
btw Fender's doing a promo where theyre giving 3 free months of Fender Play (a lesson/instructional program)

https://try.fender.com/play/playthrough/clkn/https/www.fender.com/play/redeem

(turn off adblocker as the code shows up in a popup)

you can do bass, guitar or uke (im doing bass)

its cool so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
floyds need some stretching to settle in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7DxlcE2A2M

u got it buddy