Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

spankmeister posted:

yeah that'll be the protease inhibitor part of it, the ritonavir.

the frustrating part is that i got the meds but my roommate (who came down with the rona at the same time) didn't because a. no insurance and b. not in ~high risk~ groups. makes me feel bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

knox_harrington posted:

re: traffic calming, the area at the end of my street by the metro station is one of these shared-space ideas where there are no road markings for cars and no pavements / sidewalks. Apparently the idea is that road markings give car drivers a sense of ownership of their bit of road, and removing the lines makes them more cautious.

it does work kinda well and pedestrians mostly get the priority. it's a 20kph limit I think so nobody is going very fast anyway. might not work in Ram-driving country though.

my experience of these means I am just very uncomfortable walking along while a giant suv slowly creeps up behind me

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
roommate has apparently lost their sense of taste and smell.

wonder how much longer until we're both over this mess.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Zamujasa posted:

roundabouts are cool and good and anything that causes an idiot to destroy their car instead of destroying something else is good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11WUJVmq0IQ

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
my kid got her first shot on Wednesday and did not appear to have much of a reaction over the past few days, which was a nice change of pace.

the maritimes still haven't approved a second booster for anyone <50 which... I guess maybe at this point they're waiting for late summer/autumn so that everyone gets maximal protection going into late autumn/early winter

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Fabricated posted:

I feel like if they put those in for the signs it'd just result in deaths

those automatically deploying bollards that just stab your oil pan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFzjFX2E2og

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 3, 2022

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

those automatically deploying bollards that just stab your oil pan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFzjFX2E2og

This car’s predatory behavior is possibly its most interesting trait. They hunt for prey during the night, which makes them nocturnal.

They perch on high branches with clear, open views so they can spot prey. Once they spot a potential meal they swoop down, grab it, and carry it to their favorite impaling location. These cars work smarter, not harder.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Stereotype posted:

i think this is my favorite movie

just saw it yesterday. it’s real good

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I enjoyed it kinda. little bit random for me, but loved some of the unique moments, especially the rock scene

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I remember reading a writeup somewhere (possibly here, possibly on a media blog) about how absolutely masterful to buildup to the buttplug fight is. they slowly give you all the pieces one by one, then in one quick shot they slam it all home and rely on you to instantly realize what it means and you totally do

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i went into it entirely blind knowing nothing beyond what my friend told me, ‘it’s about a chinese woman doing her taxes’ so there were quite a few unexpected twists and turns

and yeah if a shot of two rocks can start jerking the tears then it’s a good movie, imo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PIZZA.BAT posted:

jerking the tears

weird lube imo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if scientists want to study absolute silence they will put mics on an engaged crowd watching eeaao during the rock scene. you could hear a mouse three houses away in my living room when that went down. i was staring like a fool and not moving a muscle. it's such a good movie.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

https://twitter.com/JohnRossMD/status/1543080843933106177

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

smallpox blankets are back, in monkeypox form

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

it's cool being able to know for certain we'll never see the year 2030 but having no loving idea what the reason we don't make it will be.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The way monkeypox can spread and survive in fomites is very well known? It's not a surprise.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

fart simpson posted:

smallpox blankets are back, in monkeypox form

drat these nfts

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Fabricated posted:

The way monkeypox can spread and survive in fomites is very well known? It's not a surprise.

covid broke peoples brains and now every disease no matter how well understood is the black death

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Fabricated posted:

there are a bunch of privileged idiots who didn't pay attention to the discussions of smallpox and polio in school and were completely oblivious to ebola and zika and TB and influenza outbreaks during their lifetime and so on and are just absolutely broke brained at the very idea that diseases are bad

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

who didn't pay attention to the discussions of smallpox and polio in school

the discussions of what in where?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

covid broke peoples brains

*nodding in agreement*

Kazinsal posted:

and now every disease no matter how well understood is the black death

lol what

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'm curious

Did anyone else get regular TB tests in school?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

no what's regular TB tests in school with you?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Cat Face Joe posted:

the discussions of what in where?
I remember smallpox, polio, and TB being in a lot of discussions in my history classes but I imagine that heavily depends on what state/decade you went to school in.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

The Fool posted:

I'm curious

Did anyone else get regular TB tests in school?

no but i think tb shots were required to go

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I ask because it only just occurred to me, at 40 years old, that it might have been a regional thing due to being at a rural school with a large indigenous population

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Kazinsal posted:

covid broke peoples brains and now every disease no matter how well understood is the black death

covid is worse than polio and we put in a lot of effort to get rid of that one

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

fart simpson posted:

covid is worse than polio and we put in a lot of effort to get rid of that one

we arguably didn't suck as much as a species back then.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

We've always sucked as a species, we just had an understanding in the western world back when polio was being eradicated that state power could be used to affect positive change in society.

We even eradicated measles, an incredibly contagious disease, in the US twenty two years ago. In those twenty two years, the idea that government power can be used to do anything has become completely unthinkable, it's incredible.

If we tried to stamp out smoking today like we did fifteen years ago it wouldn't happen. We'd never get smoking bans passed on any level of government larger than a city council.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

We've always sucked as a species, we just had an understanding in the western world back when polio was being eradicated that state power could be used to affect positive change in society.

We even eradicated measles, an incredibly contagious disease, in the US twenty two years ago. In those twenty two years, the idea that government power can be used to do anything has become completely unthinkable, it's incredible.

If we tried to stamp out smoking today like we did fifteen years ago it wouldn't happen. We'd never get smoking bans passed on any level of government larger than a city council.

it's probably due to people in power not being able to envision anything better in the world than they had

it's why the most popular entertainment today is remakes of 80s comic books (mcu) and films (star wars, star trek, top gun). it's why a lot of the design language used to sell us stuff is often lifted from the 30s or something. it's like every type of new thing has to coat itself in some "good old days" garb, because the people buying it are not really happy living in the present? i feel that's like the clearest indicator that subconsciously a lot of people don't see the future as a good place to be, so since individually everyone is powerless, we can just buy some vr goggles and live in the past (2022 remaster) where it was good

tech may be the exception to this, but the biggest hits of tech have been social networks and cryptocurrency, selling unrealistic influencers / being mad online and the promise of number go up

it's kind of expected that everyone can just do whatever they wish if the capitalist system rewards them, and for all the big issues - covid, climate change, wars - there is someone, somewhere that the capitalist system rewards for fixing, right? we can just go to brunch and forget about it

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

4lokos basilisk posted:

it's probably due to people in power not being able to envision anything better in the world than they had

it's why the most popular entertainment today is remakes of 80s comic books (mcu) and films (star wars, star trek, top gun). it's why a lot of the design language used to sell us stuff is often lifted from the 30s or something. it's like every type of new thing has to coat itself in some "good old days" garb, because the people buying it are not really happy living in the present? i feel that's like the clearest indicator that subconsciously a lot of people don't see the future as a good place to be, so since individually everyone is powerless, we can just buy some vr goggles and live in the past (2022 remaster) where it was good

tech may be the exception to this, but the biggest hits of tech have been social networks and cryptocurrency, selling unrealistic influencers / being mad online and the promise of number go up

it's kind of expected that everyone can just do whatever they wish if the capitalist system rewards them, and for all the big issues - covid, climate change, wars - there is someone, somewhere that the capitalist system rewards for fixing, right? we can just go to brunch and forget about it

in tech, VR is also a remake of the past. at this point we're just recycling the dreams of the 20th century

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The FDA was recently looking to reduce the amount of nicotine in tobacco and ban menthols entirely.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Video Nasty posted:

The FDA was recently looking to reduce the amount of nicotine in tobacco and ban menthols entirely.

what’s your point

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
i am looking forward to being first in the monkeypox shot line once it's available near me. every homo i know in new york went for their program until they ran out.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
SAFe sucks

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i've been intentionally avoiding this thread just because gently caress covid forever but i think i'm gonna do a pcr test tomorrow :smith:

loving hope it's just a cold or some poo poo

e: oh look it's 4 am guess i meant later today. legit feel awful rn

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jul 6, 2022

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mate

crossing fingers for ya

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1544458621559488514

this is the whiniest article I've ever read in my life