Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

there is basically no world where covid shots didn't become part of yearly vaccines. even if the usa was good at stuff, variants would still come in from abroad, and it would be much better to be vaccinated than not against them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
oh in that case I’m glad we immediately gave up and let 1.5 million people die and millions of others get permanently disabled.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
yeah, there's no upside. you just gotta do the best you can to protect yourself. it sucks!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
biden said the pandemic is over. time to close this thread?!?!?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

biden said the pandemic is over. time to close this thread?!?!?

joke from 72h ago lives again

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Stereotype posted:

oh in that case I’m glad we immediately gave up and let 1.5 million people die and millions of others get permanently disabled.

i feel as if 1.5 is a bit low for the US given how things had gone/are going

but i do hope all of you are still safe and/or recovering without long term issues

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Stereotype posted:

yep, that's definitely what i said. you're not being weird and throwing a fit. carry on

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i feel very sick and am absolutely throwing a tantrum about it. if joe biden was here right now i'd slap the poo poo out of him for saying that covid is over

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Stereotype posted:

i'd slap the poo poo out of him for saying that covid is over

i'm with ya here. that shits unconscionable

i hope you feel better! i got the booster yesterday and today i'm just kinda grody feeling and my arm hurts. we'll see if i'm better or worse in the morning

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

strange aeons, etc.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Jonny 290 posted:

don’t make me post the just post smilie!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

knox_harrington posted:

awesome you got a nice fresh one

the covid vax we use expired in august lol but it’s been redated

all of the stock we get for covid has such short expiries. all the saline expires at the end of the month then we get a new pack and that expires end of nex month

there must be so much stock at the warehouse just expiring and they’re doing what they can to use what they have before it gets biffed

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Stereotype posted:

i feel very sick and am absolutely throwing a tantrum about it. if joe biden was here right now i'd slap the poo poo out of him for saying that covid is over

ss agents: mr o’yospos we need to speak to you about an imminent slapping threat

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

biden has the ss?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

fart simpson posted:

biden has the ss?

they keep the president safe and our money real

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

there is basically no world where covid shots didn't become part of yearly vaccines. even if the usa was good at stuff, variants would still come in from abroad, and it would be much better to be vaccinated than not against them

i mean this was not decreed by laws of physics. some people decreed that profit is more important than lives and everyone else folded

i think it would count as inevitable if we really tried instead of giving up to pharma profits and antivaxx bs

same applies to climate change really but i will stop now, sorry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

dioxazine posted:

i feel as if 1.5 is a bit low for the US given how things had gone/are going

Pre-pandemic you could figure on around 7700 deaths a day with a population of 330m or so.

Extrapolating from that we're at, at most, 1.3m deaths from covid.

It's real bad, but there's no use in exaggerating.

The stuff I do is all built around monitoring member population health and none of the standards bodies are looking at anything related to covid at all. it might as well not even exist in healthcare quality spaces. lol

Apr 7, 2003

Stereotype posted:

trip report continued: I feel loving awful holy poo poo. I could barely sleep last night because my Covid arm hurt so much, even with advil, and today I am sore all over and feel almost feverish. I’ve been taking advil every 4 hours and it helps a bit, but I’m exhausted. also one of my ears is clogged and I can’t hear out of it, and I’ve been trying to wash it out with ear wax liquid to no avail.

this loving sucks. we have to do this twice a year? what a dumb loving country. at least I can take a day off work, but I had plans with friends at a park tonight and I don’t know if I’m gonna go. at least a bunch of selfish arrogant boomers got to prance around without masks and then die choking to death, totally worth the lovely hellworld we are now cursed to live in.

I got my shot last Thursday and was basically in bed all of Friday afternoon and Saturday, it sucked real bad

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Pre-pandemic you could figure on around 7700 deaths a day with a population of 330m or so.

Extrapolating from that we're at, at most, 1.3m deaths from covid.

It's real bad, but there's no use in exaggerating.

The stuff I do is all built around monitoring member population health and none of the standards bodies are looking at anything related to covid at all. it might as well not even exist in healthcare quality spaces. lol

if CMS punished healthcare providers for excess covid deaths they'd start caring, but that would require CMS to be something other than a money firehose

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
we need to switch entirely to capitated payment, but its never gonna happen

Apr 7, 2003

Shaggar posted:

if CMS punished healthcare providers for excess covid deaths they'd start caring, but that would require CMS to be something other than a money firehose

I was on a call w/ VA people sponsored by NCQA regarding controlling diabetes in veterans (some insane % of vets have diabetes), and their solution was some kind of detector vets stand on to make sure their feet aren't rotting off, that sends pictures via wifi to a provider who looks at them. you could just give them free insulin but instead they want to do all this stupid poo poo.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

4lokos basilisk posted:

i mean this was not decreed by laws of physics. some people decreed that profit is more important than lives and everyone else folded

i think it would count as inevitable if we really tried instead of giving up to pharma profits and antivaxx bs

same applies to climate change really but i will stop now, sorry

The most powerful nation in the world economically that contains 1/5th of all humans on earth was able to successfully contain covid, so it absolutely was not an eventuality. It's actually really shocking the responses I get from people I know and am nominally friends with though, because most people are clearly mentally struggling about it

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I don't know if it's related to my covid shot but I'm like 90% sure I have an ear infection now, so I gotta go to urgent care about that. Plus I'm still definitely not 100% from that loving shot, though I am better than yesterday.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

I was on a call w/ VA people sponsored by NCQA regarding controlling diabetes in veterans (some insane % of vets have diabetes), and their solution was some kind of detector vets stand on to make sure their feet aren't rotting off, that sends pictures via wifi to a provider who looks at them. you could just give them free insulin but instead they want to do all this stupid poo poo.

insulin is boring and played out. a scale with a camera attached means federal fee extraction and job creation via medical device approvals.

the idea of monitoring patients more regularly in order to prevent problems has been around forever. When i started it was called Disease Management. A few years ago it was called Chronic Care Management. In all cases it was a good idea, but horribly hamstring by fee for service. If you only get paid per service provided, you dont provide long term services like CCM because they dont make you money. you let the diabetic wait until their feet need to be amputated and then you bill medicare for the surgery.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
t+6h on moderna #4 + flu cocktail: Yeah, this one's gonna get me this time around I think.

tiiiiiiiired.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

im at 12 hours and the whole body soreness is startin

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

felt like poo poo and had a fever yesterday morning and tested positive on RAT test. possibly the first time I've had it, although who knows. hadn't had a chance to get the bivalent booster yet.

fever has already come way down but the fatigue is insane, and my sense of smell is starting to go away today.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
a lot of people are saying take extreme measures to stay rested even well after you recover, because there's some kind of aggravation that happens if a person tries to power through the fatigue.

I'm not a doctor or anything i have just noticed this coming p again and again on long covid Twitter. maybe Google it for yourself before you do anything strenuous

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

people learning and being surprised that you have to recover from disease has been one of the weirder aspects of the pandemic

Apr 7, 2003

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

im at 12 hours and the whole body soreness is startin

i got fuckin rolled for a day and a half, have fun

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
a lot of people have some kind of mentality that you need to “power thru” a cold and not “give in” to them, that this is the best method for superior long lasting health

DuckConference posted:

felt like poo poo and had a fever yesterday morning and tested positive on RAT test. possibly the first time I've had it, although who knows. hadn't had a chance to get the bivalent booster yet.

fever has already come way down but the fatigue is insane, and my sense of smell is starting to go away today.

sucks mate. you’ll be ok tho, but rest up and take plenty of paracetamol/acetiminiphen and also ibuprofen, keep that fever down and rest

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

lol yesterday's test had a faint test line, today's test line was bolder than the control line.

otoh I have enough energy to post right now so that's a nice improvement from yesterday

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
own that poo poo

Apr 7, 2003

echinopsis posted:

own that poo poo

covid brain damage is real

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so?

this brain damage shaming has to stop

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i got fuckin rolled for a day and a half, have fun

fortunately now its been more than 24 hours and i feel fine other than super tired but that may have been spending 2am to 8am not sleeping and alternating between fevers, chills, and kicking the cats off the bed

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Person nally I Bel eventually ts had to get brain damage

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

See what it does to a person's posting

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

PokeJoe posted:

Person nally I Bel eventually ts had to get brain damage