Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

rotor posted:

80%: needed a way out of whatever hosed up poo poo they were born into - abuse, extreme poverty, being in the middle of nowhere, etc

yeah, but you can join any of the branches for this purpose. why specifically the marines in these cases?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Wonder if the ratio of troops that were in it for the later economic opportunity went down once the two active wars we had really got into full swing.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
i always do my part to support our troops, iykyk

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my marine buddy kinda turned into a pseudo-meathead, he played copious amounts of WoW before joining up

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

The_Franz posted:

yeah, but you can join any of the branches for this purpose. why specifically the marines in these cases?

i wouldn't think people who want to join the army to get out of their bad conditions necessarily know this about the marines, or?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The_Franz posted:

when i was in high school my understanding of the different branches was

army: carry a gun and march around
navy: sail on a ship
air force: fly a plane or load bombs or something
marines: ??? like the army but on a boat i guess

i'm sure that at least some people didn't even make that distinction when looking for a way out of booger, and the marine recruiter was just the first one they found

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
it's because the marines had the best commercials

dude with a sword fighting a dragon and then he transforms into a marine and still has a sword hell yeah dude

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
dont forget we got SPAAAAACE FOOOOOORCE now too

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's because the marines had the best commercials

dude with a sword fighting a dragon and then he transforms into a marine and still has a sword hell yeah dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C0kHFVHSDs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyYTK_hYeEo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mplEt-7HNR8

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Penisface posted:

i wouldn't think people who want to join the army to get out of their bad conditions necessarily know this about the marines, or?
i blame james cameron's aliens

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ73FEXSQRQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOC9gZXqEL8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCjEV75F2tM

my school made everyone take the ASVAB. a friend of mine tried to turn it in blank and the recruiter told him that wasn't allowed so he marked every answer "A" right in front of him and turned it in

e:

dammit jonny lol. at least we found some different commercials

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

my school made everyone take the ASVAB. a friend of mine tried to turn it in blank and the recruiter told him that wasn't allowed so he marked every answer "A" right in front of him and turned it in

that probably gets you flagged to go to ocs

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

it was not required for us (surprisingly!) but it got us out of an afternoon of class, so you better believe i took it

i think they said i should be a mechanic or something

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
ive seen it suggested that the infamous boot camp scene from full metal jacket got a whole generation of young men going "i wonder if id be tough enough to handle that...hmmm"

https://taskandpurpose.com/entertainment/full-metal-jacket-marine-corps-boot-camp-scene/

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/18/magazine/full-metal-jacket-ermey-marine-corps.html

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
my partner joined to figure his poo poo out and says it was a formative experience for him that made him a better person overall. he thrives in intense situations so he used the free school to get his nursing masters and eventually go into ER or ICU care.

he's much more giving and considerate than my selfish rear end. makes me want to do better. :unsmith:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i got a 99 on the asvab (also forced, also you get that by just keeping drool and piss off the paper) and nuke school hit me up HARD

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Sagebrush posted:

i'm sure that at least some people didn't even make that distinction when looking for a way out of booger, and the marine recruiter was just the first one they found

first one they found, offered them what seemed like the best deal, sold them on the best story, something like that would be my guess yeah.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Endless Mike posted:

it was not required for us (surprisingly!) but it got us out of an afternoon of class, so you better believe i took it

i think they said i should be a mechanic or something

i got the max score so they called me incessantly until i got accepted to a university, once i told them that they left me alone

Jonny 290 posted:

i got a 99 on the asvab (also forced, also you get that by just keeping drool and piss off the paper) and nuke school hit me up HARD

oh yeah while i was getting my chem degree i would get an email every month like clockwork trying to get me to be a nuclear submarine officer

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

yeppp me and a few other nerds that did that got put into a car by the recruiter and brought to the local naval base for a tour lol

my mom ended up yelling at that guy after he didn't stop calling my junior year

tbf the navy has (had?) a big presence there, coast guard too

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

in school, i knew of exactly one non-crazy person who joined the marines. he was a really good trumpet player and wanted to be in the marine band, and he managed to do it. the other couples of guys who specifically went into the marines were crazy people who would do things like smash their head against a brick wall to prove how tough they were

a guy i went to grade school with had an ex-marine dad who was basically a psychopathic rear end in a top hat (think the rear end in a top hat dad from american beauty minus the closeted gay stuff). just constantly screaming about every little thing, running the hose like a boot camp, etc...

there's very likely some bias in my view, as i have probably met many normal ex-marines who joined, did their job and moved on, while the people that stick in my mind are the "I AM AN EX-MARINE OOH RAHH" R. Lee Ermy wannabes, who tend to self-select for psychopathy

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
one of my friends went army

in september 1997

do the math lol

Ended up staying in too, becoming some kind of hand to hand combat expert.

Never stop, 5'3" dudes with something to prove

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Achmed Jones posted:

i was thinking the same thing but didnt have any experts or rationale to back it up - i just know i'd way rather be walking than just standing

yeah I had a job that required spending 2-4 hours a day on the factory floor making sure everything was running correctly and it was really nice to walk around a bit, fiddle with some knobs to tune some equipment up for a minute, walk around a bit, take some process measurements, walk around some more, make sure a batch has run correctly, walk around, etc.

really good in terms of feeling like you’ve been a little bit active but not really straining or tiring in any way. only problem was that you had to put on a clean room bunny suit for the walking around part.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

yeah I had a job that required spending 2-4 hours a day on the factory floor making sure everything was running correctly and it was really nice to walk around a bit, fiddle with some knobs to tune some equipment up for a minute, walk around a bit, take some process measurements, walk around some more, make sure a batch has run correctly, walk around, etc.

really good in terms of feeling like you’ve been a little bit active but not really straining or tiring in any way. only problem was that you had to put on a clean room bunny suit for the walking around part.

Used to have a job at a bearing manufacturer like that, with a testing lab downstairs. Loved walking around with an unnecessary lab coat and clip board checking on things that honestly didn't need checking on.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
My dad's a marine and became one because he was a drunk redneck punk that would've ended up in jail otherwise. Basically that's the story for most of my dad's family.

My dad came out of two tours of Vietnam a lifetime Democrat voting atheist which is uh, not the usual trajectory for that demographic

All my friends who went into the military were escaping really lovely rural family circumstances.

None of them, including my dad have a good thing to say about their service outside of whatever friends they made in it that lived.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

one of my friends went army

in september 1997

do the math lol
the lunar and solar eclipses drove him nuts?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Chris Knight posted:

Huh?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
posting about the troops on page 911

o7

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

the Porsche page

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Chris Knight posted:

presumably he was minutes away from finishing his four-year hitch and starting his real life, and then osama had to go and film the worlds most expensive "yakkity sax" music video, and welp

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jonny 290 posted:

i worked with some nuclear sub guys at the semiconductor fab, real weird guys.

do not let them play grabass with you.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

FMguru posted:

presumably he was minutes away from finishing his four-year hitch and starting his real life, and then osama had to go and film the worlds most expensive "yakkity sax" music video, and welp

yuup

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

PokeJoe posted:

incredibly based

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

my last boss joined the army because of 9/11 out of some weird patriotic duty

he’s a nice guy and far from a chud, which makes it even more weird

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

The_Franz posted:

a guy i went to grade school with had an ex-marine dad who was basically a psychopathic rear end in a top hat (think the rear end in a top hat dad from american beauty minus the closeted gay stuff). just constantly screaming about every little thing, running the hose like a boot camp, etc...

as i learned after a very uncomfortable confrontation with the bald dude in qa, there are no ex marines there are only former marines.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

i worked with some nuclear sub guys at the semiconductor fab, real weird guys.

do not let them play grabass with you.

they play for keeps

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

cool thanks. not everyone knows how long army service terms are

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Fortaleza posted:

Used to have a job at a bearing manufacturer like that, with a testing lab downstairs. Loved walking around with an unnecessary lab coat and clip board checking on things that honestly didn't need checking on.

yeah this is a semiconductor fab. i used to walk around tuing up the ion implanters, there were 23 of them, basically particle accelerators. they can implant different ions of boron/phosphorus/arsenic and they try to load up the ion beam themselves but switching gasses is hard, you have to tune up a plasma in the ion source chamber, then set it to extract and tune up. various focusing and analysis magnets along the beamline so you can actually move the wafers in front of the beam go add the impurities that make the doped solicon.

like, you can tell how much ion beam current there is because the beam is positive ions, the wafer stage is grounded, and the implanter just monitors current pulled up from ground to keep the wafer neutral. you tune the beamline magnets and gas and power supplies to maximize that beam current, and there are a lot of places the auto-tuning algorithms can get accidentally stuck in a local maximum. so setting all the magnet currents by hand can mean the implanter produces like 2-3x the number of wafers per hour that it would letting them auto-switch between recipes.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

as i learned after a very uncomfortable confrontation with the bald dude in qa, there are no ex marines there are only former marines.

I've only had the pleasure of working with 2 marine dudes. They had okay personalities but if you worked with them and went off the book on a procedure they would yell at you.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

Never stop, 5'3" dudes with something to prove

this is literally why I almost joined the CAF instead of getting into computer touching lol

fakeedit: postin' on the freedom page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Hey Vasquez, you ever been mistaken by a man?