Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Stereotype posted:

one of my friends has stolen back not one but two bikes. he found both on craigslist and offered to buy it, then when taking it for a "test ride" he just rode off lol

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the first time he did it he bought a fake wallet to give to the guy as "collateral" to reassure him and put nothing in it except a note that said "get hosed." the second time he didn't bother because the first dude didn't even ask for collateral anyway so he figured neither would the second dude, and he was right.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
think of your bike as something that you're just borrowing from the universe and it can be taken back at any moment, rather than a possession.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
there is only one electron bike

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ultravoices posted:

think of your bike as something that you're just borrowing from the universe and it can be taken back at any moment, rather than a possession.

possessions are theft, anyway

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

ultravoices posted:

having had multiple bikes stolen, gently caress that

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Chris Knight posted:

having had multiple bikes stolen, gently caress that

you shoulda stole em back

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

hell yeah like a dozen pops today glad to be in the office

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

prevailing theory on why sf has such bad numbers right now is that so many people have never had it because they actually took it seriously before mask off suck & gently caress times returned fully so there's not even the mild immunity other places have from when everyone got it on the holidays

we've passed the delta peak in number of cases, fortunately office is still "pretty please come in we have treats" and not mandatory attendance

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
nyc just went up a tier and work reminded us that you don’t have to come to the office if you don’t want to (we were already on a partial and not mandatory schedule)

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
hmm no, covid is over. the only problem is that people are still even talking about it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

haveblue posted:

nyc just went up a tier

lol i am not going outside jfc

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Stereotype posted:

hmm no, covid is over. the only problem is that people are still even talking about it

the virus can only hurt you if you think about it like a scandinavian fairy or some lovecraft monster

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i just found out that for several weeks now there has been no way to self-report positive antibody tests in BC, and that the covid numbers we have are only PCR tests, which basically nobody is eligible for. lol!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

hell yeah like a dozen pops today glad to be in the office

just got exposed at the office :drum:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
drat

it’s so odd how it works. I worked mon and tues (full work days) last week next to young woman who tested pos on wed. me and the other woman I worked with those two days have been fine and haven’t caught it

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

the virus can only hurt you if you think about it like a scandinavian fairy or some lovecraft monster

or the end of ghostbusters

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Truman Peyote posted:

i just found out that for several weeks now there has been no way to self-report positive antibody tests in BC, and that the covid numbers we have are only PCR tests, which basically nobody is eligible for. lol!

it's super funny that everyone is just doing exactly what trump said to do two years ago. his only mistake is that he just outright said out loud that we need to stop testing instead of just making it impossible to get tested but never telling anyone

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

echinopsis posted:

drat

it’s so odd how it works. I worked mon and tues (full work days) last week next to young woman who tested pos on wed. me and the other woman I worked with those two days have been fine and haven’t caught it

i seem to catch it every time i wander outside for like a month (and yes i take a ton of precautions idiots), and because the testing and stats are so hosed here yet still being "high", i am definitely not going anywhere for a while. not gambling a fourth time, i'm hosed up from that poo poo enough already

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Truman Peyote posted:

do you mean antigen tests?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

echinopsis posted:

drat

if you're using rapid tests, check again after a few days. it can take a bit to show up.

i started having symptoms on a Tuesday (which was 3-4 days after the exposure notification said i was exposed), tested positive with a PCR the day after, but didn't test positive on rapid until Friday (the PCR test results came later that day)

endless wife didn't get a positive test until the following Tuesday, but never had any symptoms and was clear again right at the 10 day mark.

never got worse than one day where i was mildly congested, thankfully

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Endless Mike posted:

if you're using rapid tests, check again after a few days. it can take a bit to show up.

How are these supposed to work? You have to first show symptoms and then check 24 hours later?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

How are these supposed to work? You have to first show symptoms and then check 24 hours later?

how they're *supposed* to work: a group of people are exposed and are all given rapid tests after 3 or so days and if any one comes up positive, you assume they are all positive

how people are treating them like they work: if you know you have been exposed (via contact tracing or an exposure notification or whatever): check three or so days afterward if you have no symptoms, or when symptoms appear, whichever happens first. if it comes up negative, mask up around others if you're not already and take another three days later (and take a PCR test if you have the ability, especially if you're having symptoms). if the second comes up negative, it's around 75% or so likely you are negative.

how people are actually treating them: "i took a rapid test and it was negative so i can lick doorknobs with impunity!"

all of which is to say they don't work unless they come up positive, since they are 100% accurate that you're positive

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

a great system for a disease that is contagious before you become symptomatic

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Endless Mike posted:

yeah tested every work day since

that was last week. I mean it amazes me that people can live with each other and not catch it

either that or the vaccines works

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

bass’d

https://youtu.be/-eQ6uN5pM_c

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
currently trying to figure out if we have covid and it's kind of poo poo show

my kid started getting symptoms on friday. we gave him a rapid test that day and it came up negative. he was also tested on tuesday as part of his regular school testing process and came up negative. i started having symptoms on sunday so i took a rapid test and it was negative. my wife has no symptoms and feels fine. all three of us have been taking rapid tests since then, i think 9 or 10 between the three of us and we haven't had a positive test. does this mean we don't have covid? who the heck knows!

trying to navigate getting a pcr through our doc's office which is a delightful experience as well

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm so glad i live somewhere that getting rapid tests and masks is as easy as taking a walk to the nearby covid center and PCR tests walking across the street to the library and i don't have to pay a cent for any of it beyond the taxes i pay anyway

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Blinkz0rz posted:

currently trying to figure out if we have covid and it's kind of poo poo show

my kid started getting symptoms on friday. we gave him a rapid test that day and it came up negative. he was also tested on tuesday as part of his regular school testing process and came up negative. i started having symptoms on sunday so i took a rapid test and it was negative. my wife has no symptoms and feels fine. all three of us have been taking rapid tests since then, i think 9 or 10 between the three of us and we haven't had a positive test. does this mean we don't have covid? who the heck knows!

trying to navigate getting a pcr through our doc's office which is a delightful experience as well

it's probably just something else

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

my office mate has been having coughing fits for a couple weeks but it's fine, he tested negative for covid so it's obviously just allergies, no need to worry about him coughing on everything in the office everyone

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

I'm so glad i live somewhere that getting rapid tests and masks is as easy as taking a walk to the nearby covid center and PCR tests walking across the street to the library and i don't have to pay a cent for any of it beyond the taxes i pay anyway

nyc is like this but i'm still not going anywhere because there's a ton of people at those places that are invariably positive lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i mean there's a pcr testing thing literally maybe 250 feet from here but goddamn do a lot of people pass by

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Gnossiennes posted:

my office mate has been having coughing fits for a couple weeks but it's fine, he tested negative for covid so it's obviously just allergies, no need to worry about him coughing on everything in the office everyone

does your employer provide paid sick leave for that amount of time, or work from home accommodations? in other words, can you blame someone for continuing to work if they test negative when it would affect their income otherwise?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

i mean there's a pcr testing thing literally maybe 250 feet from here but goddamn do a lot of people pass by
no, this is a bit different. they're at-home PCR tests for pick up that you take and drop off at one of dozens of drop-off boxes around the city. the library across the street has the tests in a basket just inside the entrance and the box is outside.

there's also places you can go to have someone else swab your nose if you really want that, but I've just done the at-home tests because they're easier and closer.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

no, this is a bit different. they're at-home PCR tests for pick up that you take and drop off at one of dozens of drop-off boxes around the city. the library across the street has the tests in a basket just inside the entrance and the box is outside.

there's also places you can go to have someone else swab your nose if you really want that, but I've just done the at-home tests because they're easier and closer.

you can also request a health worker to come swab you (for free) here, but idk anyone who has actually done it so i can't speak to its efficacy

that sounds much better though and i wish cryptomayor eric adams wasn't in charge

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

spankmeister posted:

does your employer provide paid sick leave for that amount of time, or work from home accommodations? in other words, can you blame someone for continuing to work if they test negative when it would affect their income otherwise?

it's my manager and we're all salary with decent pto and our "5 days a week in the office" requirement comes from him which is two days more per week than the corporate guidance lol

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
lol another one of my colleagues has it. thought it was just allergies but took a rapid test before going to hang out with his elderly parents and infant niece and WELP

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh cool apparently influenza is back in fashion this winter

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

echinopsis posted:

oh cool apparently influenza is back in fashion this winter

everything is covid even when it isn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote