Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zlodo posted:

they speak like people whose decision-making apparatuses are within the operational footprint of their backends

they've entered an entirely new, intestinally based plane of reality.

my piece of us fedgov went to a/b teams on alternating weeks but they also called out a number of conditions as "high risk" and my type 1 diabetes lands me there so i'm on isolation for the next two weeks at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

rotor posted:

yeah its pretty zany. My niece is (was??) graduating SF State this semester and they cancelled the ceremony and all her classes are online and it's not clear if she will actually graduate and the whole thing is just nuts

there's at least one school i'm aware of that will mail diplomas and plans to let graduates walk the stage at any future ceremony they want to attend.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

also i'm really tortured about whether i should require students to have video on during our "class" sessions.

i don't want to invade their privacy, and i know that many of them are in uncertain living situations right now, may not have fast internet, might have to share space with family members, etc.

but

it's so much better when everyone can see each other. a disembodied voice and a list of names is not a replacement for a classroom. people are already socially isolated and it's just getting worse and people need to talk to one another and feel like they're still connected. plus i hate lecturing to a blank screen in my apartment.

it blows

Give people the option during lectures and schedule short video one-on-ones to check in with your students that aren't doing video in class? That would be a little less intimidating maybe.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

burning swine posted:

correct

I've been waiting for / dreading the day that I have to shave to wear a mask, I haven't been clean shaven in years

if you really don't want to shave you can use petroleum jelly or k-y to make a half rear end seal. it never works that well and you have to wash the mask and your face afterwards, but if you just can't stand to be clean shaven and don't anticipate heavy or long exposure it's an option i guess.

but really just loving shave if it gets that dire.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

“meatgaze correction” is a pretty good username.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

i finally got over my fear of going out and ran a block down to the mexican grocery one block away that i've never set foot in for the past 3 years

lol

i got a new grocery store even after this blows over holy poo poo why was i not buying all my meat and produce here this whole time

little ethnic food stores beat the poo poo out of supermarkets 100% of the time as long as you’re on board with that particular type of food.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i've gotten sick and i fear i have the 'rona

i'm actually not worried about myself as much as anyone i might have come into contact with the past two weeks.

i havent left the house in like 5 days tho

take it easy, drink a lot of water, call a doc when you can’t handle it on your own.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

joe rogan uncritically gives shitbags a platform and for that he deserves your scorn, not your attention.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Poopernickel posted:

is the new animal crossing worth buying a switch to play? I dug the 3ds version, never played any others

it sounds like it is if you like animal crossing. check in games: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3913280

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

for what it’s worth my brother is an actuary for a global insurance company and he said the industry estimates last week were half the 1918 epidemic.

that would mean we’re in for a fatality rate of 1.5% of the global population this time.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DuckConference posted:

it's probably 1/10th of that though

actually that's still a lot

I’d like for those numbers to be high but given the quality of response we’ve seen worldwide so far i’m gonna go with them being accurate.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

There's no question that it's healthier to be out and active while staying away from people than to just hole up entirely. For these total lockdown orders you can thank the morons who were told to stay away from crowds but immediately went to party on the beach or started packing the grocery stores.

Big "teacher keeping the whole class in from recess because of three kids who won't quiet down" energy

you work in education, why are you surprised people behave like this?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

if mediafire is still around they were always a pretty reliable file host site for poo poo i didn’t care about. they may be a spyware infested kgb front these days though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Poopernickel posted:

One of my co-workers literally murdered another one over the weekend.

Like, with a knife.

They were friends with each other outside of work - I think the murderer probably just cracked and broke.

i do kind of wonder how many empty desks we'll have at the office when i get back in a month.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fabricated posted:

it's cool, trump is very upset about the number going down so its time to sacrifice the poors and olds to try and make it go back up (it will not go back up just because people get forced to go back to work)

number go up!

no wait not that number!

poo poo.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lancemantis posted:

it’s because a podcaster said it, and cspam suffers from the inability to read jokes like all fans do

if it turned out biden was the second clone and they wheeled out joe triden from a freezer i’d probably vote for him just on general principle.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DELETE CASCADE posted:

after watching trump's press conferences for the last few days, i'm pretty sure a dead president would be better than what we have now

he seems to be all about the dead presidents.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

la la la la la la laaaaaaaaaaaa blah blah blah blah la la la la la aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

you’re right, we should probably drop the political derail. we have plenty of other places to have that chat.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

haveblue posted:

read the d&d (not cspam) politics thread

please don’t advocate self-harm in yospos.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

echinopsis posted:

country now locked down. just said goodbye to gf and doubtful i’ll see much if any of my kids this next 4 weeks

good luck echi

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

almost as if the american way of life is deeply, fundamentally unhealthy.

imagine what the world would be like if

- people only worked 20 hours a week
- the majority of people could work from home
- car traffic was cut down to like a tenth of normal
- people filled their lives with family and exercise instead of mindless consumption

and then imagine everyone also had free universal healthcare

it's a goddamned utopia

hey sagebrush you really need to lay off the psychedelics, your hallucinations are becoming disturbingly vivid.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

graph posted:

like how the gently caress is virginia not on lockdown

been asking myself that for the last week now.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

somebody ate a probe for posting in in gbs or cspam a few days ago.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

havin some sick rear end guns is good too

jk if you dont know exactly what youre doing and/or dont want to either die or kill people or both in a shootout with the desert raiders dont gently caress around with guns

but if you want to build arm strength there’s nothing wrong with that at all.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Penisface posted:

i remember an army sergeant telling us that once he got a license to carry a personal sidearm in civilian life, he also started getting into situations where he felt that he needed to use it

definitely some "when all you have is a hammer" business going on there

if it’s a bad idea to do a thing if you don’t have a gun, it’s also a bad idea to do that thing if you have a gun.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SO DEMANDING posted:

raise your hand if you absolutely cannot give a single gently caress about work

:wave:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stereotype posted:

I feel like I have a cold, or a sinus infection type thing, even though I haven’t left the house in like two weeks.

or maybe it is corona?? also maybe alcohol withdrawals?

allergies are another popular option this time of year; even if you don't have severe reactions the sheer amount of plant jizz floating around in the air can be enough to give you sniffles.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stereotype posted:

Hawaii doesn't have "allergy season," it is always humid and warm and the flowers are constantly blooming. If anything it is mold/dust because we've gotten really bad at cleaning. It certainly *feels* like allergies, like I'm sneezing a lot, but I don't know what changed.

if you're spending more time in your house then you're getting more exposure to whatever's in it so yeah, mold or dust are also likely suspects.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

this is almost as bad as curry house dying.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

carry on then posted:

modern notes is literally eclipse as an email client, with all that entails

it still offers super granular access controls on databases so if you’re running a crazy theranos paranoia situation it probably has some benefits but lol at using it as an email system.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Methanar posted:

I did a lotus notes server upgrade from 7.3 to 8.5 in 2015.

lol

lmao

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Fool posted:

let me just melt some more glaciers

we’re on it already

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SO DEMANDING posted:

MA extended stay at home advisory to 5/4

this is going to be the longest month in my loving life. wouldn't be surprised if it turns into 2 months and even if they open things back up at that point i still might keep myself holed up

virginia went to june 10.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

rotor posted:

that seems a little extreme

they’ve been looking for an excuse for a while now.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stereotype posted:

What if there was a massive blackout somewhere with a hospital full of people on ventilators? I assume whatever generator every hospital in the country bought was the bare minimum for normal operations with no redundancy or even periodic testing. I am imagining a thunderstorm knocking out power to like 50k people on ventilators who all die within minutes when the generators fail to deal with the increased load.

they get tested routinely just about everywhere. i can't really address your capacity question though. the hospital i have direct knowledge of has critical circuits that are backed up by the generator and the rest just shuts off if they lose outside power so they can get a little more for their capability, but if the place is packed they probably have stuff plugged in wherever they can find an outlet.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Methanar posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3918903&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post503764241

I don't know what's going on but the forums are probably dying. what is yospos' posting continuity plan. I don't want to lose the funy computer clique

look at a calendar.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

echinopsis posted:

yeah man :(

i’ve squirrelled away a lethal amount of morphine because i don’t want to suffer to death lol

what’s this from

it's okay dude, my initial reaction was Dark Star

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

to be fair the defiant is a loving dank rear end hella cool ship

yeah they figured out that being a space truck stop was lame as poo poo so the writers gave them a sweet ship to compensate.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

deep space nine: all of the species diversity that the """outposts""" in star wars dream of having, none of the jizz

this is 100% accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

c’mon rotor, don’t get popped for that word.