Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

if something truly ugly happens, zombie apocalypse prepper assholes are gonna be most peoples #1 problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Sagebrush posted:

you don't need to stockpile water because if the emergency seems imminent you just fill up your bathtub and that'll keep you going until a better system is set up. if you are really worried, maybe get a couple of 5-gallon jericans and put them in your shed.

i feel like a lot of people do need to stockpile water, esp in quake zones, because emergencies may not seem imminent until they've happened.

if you have somewhere to do it, just take all your 2L bottles or milk jugs or whatever, clean em out, fill em with water and put like 1-2 drops of bleach in it to kill bacteria. Then stash it somewhere that wont be a disaster when one of them springs a slow leak. A gallon per day per person is Good Enough for Emergencies.

when you have enough, rotate out the old ones as new ones come in.

rotor fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 27, 2020

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

feel about what?

purposeless of life. this whole thing makes me feel like my life is pretty pointless. (un)fortunately I have people who rely on me for various things and who think I play an important part in people’s lives, but none of those things give me a sensation of purpose even if technically it gives me actual legitimate purpose 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I’ve meditated and been on enough psychedelics to have no fear of death. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

😂😂😂😂😂

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

the best prep you can do is convert to mormonism

beyond the built-in stockpiling the community has the strong social structure and practice actual mutual-aid etc.

(aside from all the negative issues with mormonism, ofc)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

PCjr sidecar posted:

the best prep you can do is convert to mormonism

beyond the built-in stockpiling the community has the strong social structure and practice actual mutual-aid etc.

(aside from all the negative issues with mormonism, ofc)

yep

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

echinopsis posted:

purposeless of life. this whole thing makes me feel like my life is pretty pointless. (un)fortunately I have people who rely on me for various things and who think I play an important part in people’s lives, but none of those things give me a sensation of purpose even if technically it gives me actual legitimate purpose 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Have you considered some really like down in the trenches style volunteering? I don't mean volunteering at the food bank or sweeping the floor at the animal shelter not that there's anything wrong with that, something intense

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TOOT BOOT posted:

Have you considered some really like down in the trenches style volunteering? I don't mean volunteering at the food bank or sweeping the floor at the animal shelter not that there's anything wrong with that, something intense

I haven’t. I suppose my burden is bills and children and so need to keep earning as much as I can to stay afloat and pay off debt.

you raise interesting point however

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

echinopsis posted:

I’ve meditated and been on enough psychedelics to have no fear of death. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

😂😂😂😂😂

The purpose of life is just to experience stuff I think. You also gotta survive, since the longer you stay alive the more you get to experience. I don't think there really is a point besides to be happy.

It's one of the things I hate about capitalism: the point isn't to make everyone happier, it is to make money.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
capitalism certainly could be a way to improve people’s lives but it’s often not leveraged that way.

Stereotype posted:

The purpose of life is just to experience stuff I think. You also gotta survive, since the longer you stay alive the more you get to experience. I don't think there really is a point besides to be happy.

It's one of the things I hate about capitalism: the point isn't to make everyone happier, it is to make money.

capitalism certainly could be a way to improve people’s lives but it’s often not leveraged that way.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

you don't need to stockpile water because if the emergency seems imminent you just fill up your bathtub and that'll keep you going until a better system is set up. if you are really worried, maybe get a couple of 5-gallon jericans and put them in your shed.

going beyond that is getting into doomsday idiocy.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

an average bathtub filled to the brim is about 200 litres, so that's enough for a family of four to survive 2 weeks.

if you want to live at the next level up in that chart, including sponge baths and doing dishes and stuff, you aren't storing that in gallon jugs. you'd be using 5 of those jugs per person per day. not reasonable.

point stands

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

buying 144 rolls of toilet paper every time the store has any in stock, the activity under discussion, is not emergency prepping. as a matter of fact you don't even need toilet paper to live. strange but true.

everyone should have a well stocked first aid kit, flashlights with spare batteries, methods of starting fires, and about a month (being frugal) of dried/canned/frozen food. your house probably has at least 2 weeks just by default if you do a normal amount of cooking and are not an incompetent facebook employee. you don't need to stockpile water because if the emergency seems imminent you just fill up your bathtub and that'll keep you going until a better system is set up. if you are really worried, maybe get a couple of 5-gallon jericans and put them in your shed.

going beyond that is getting into doomsday idiocy.

havin some sick rear end guns is good too

jk if you dont know exactly what youre doing and/or dont want to either die or kill people or both in a shootout with the desert raiders dont gently caress around with guns

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

jk if you dont know exactly what youre doing and/or dont want to either die or kill people or both in a shootout with the desert raiders dont gently caress around with guns

but if you want to build arm strength there’s nothing wrong with that at all.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if i was sick i would simply shoot the virus with my gun.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I have a big ol jug of water I keep in my shed with a camp stove, food, matches/lighter/etc, first aid, and flashlights/etc

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I've got an 80gal water heater, which i deliberately chose over a tankless for reasons that included emergency water storage, and about 20gal of water in various containers. I keep around 20 cans of non-condensed soup and try to rotate in new ones as i eat the old ones. I have some MREs still that i mostly bought for larfs about 10 years ago that i should probably replace at this point.

Sleeping bags & coats and whatnot are where i can find them. I have a big first aid kit in a tackle box. I heartily recommend Celox, if you get a big gash in your hand like me and you're bleeding like a fuckin stuck pig, it will stop the bleeding rapidly. What I don't have that I really should is a stash of antibiotics, but its mostly because my daughter is allergic to penicillin derivatives and those are the ones you can get without a prescription.

I have an extra pair of glasses stuffed into the first aid box too.

I have a big ol generator as well but i needed that for building stuff up north so it's just a happy coincidence.

I don't really have a heating solution in case the gas & power go out, but its san francisco, it's not like it freezes here.

anyway that's my emergency prep stuff, hope u enjoyed it.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Stashing extra sets of glasses is a good idea. didn't think of that one

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
- 1 touring bike and panniers filled with 80 pounds of my rarest funko pops.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
antibiotics generally have bad expiries just fyi so u would need to rotate

plus people are generally clueless as to what antibiotics are useful for what. my experience is that people think of antibiotics as a single entity that fixes problems

my question is do people have enough acid for the end times. i hope when i die i’m tripping absolute balls

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

echinopsis posted:

plus people are generally clueless as to what antibiotics are useful for what. my experience is that people think of antibiotics as a single entity that fixes problems

it's really more about what I can reasonbly get without a prescription and it's amoxicillin which is useful for infected cuts and so forth which is really the target problem here.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

nvm dumb post e:

Moo Cowabunga fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 27, 2020

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

antibiotics generally have bad expiries just fyi so u would need to rotate

my question is do people have enough acid for the end times. i hope when i die i’m tripping absolute balls

maybe you won’t die echi

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i pl;ayed some music for a bit on twitch if you're super bored and need cleaning music

https://www.twitch.tv/mattyzcast/video/576308850

e: actual set starts right around 4:00 its just stinger music before then

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 27, 2020

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

an average bathtub filled to the brim is about 200 litres, so that's enough for a family of four to survive 2 weeks.

if you want to live at the next level up in that chart, including sponge baths and doing dishes and stuff, you aren't storing that in gallon jugs. you'd be using 5 of those jugs per person per day. not reasonable.

point stands

planning around water pressure still working after an earthquake seems like a risky move tbh

then youve got aftershocks sloshing around your water tub

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN

echinopsis posted:

I haven’t. I suppose my burden is bills and children and so need to keep earning as much as I can to stay afloat and pay off debt.

you raise interesting point however
The point of life is to provide the best life you can for yourself and those you love. For most people those things are synonymous; to care for others is to care for yourself and vice versa. You say you have dependents, but I hope you realize they also depend on you to set an example of staying open to the world and not giving in to nihilism, even when it gets tough. It's easy to lose sight of that, believe me I know, but you won't always feel this way and every day that goes by, your kids have more opportunities to live and develop as persons, thanks to you. You also said you don't know who to talk to. Buddy you can talk to almost anyone. I don't mean to sound glib, everyone's circumstances are unique but you'd be surprised how many people grapple with the same feeling you describe. Hell, I'll talk to you if you want. Happy to. We only exist in relation to other people; we're defined by our relationships and how we see ourselves in relation to others. Just by existing you are a part of those around you, and if you were gone, a part of them would be gone as well.

So that's the point. You'll get through this.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

just discovered why my headset mic isn't picked up when I remote it: windows is treating the earpiece speaker as the mic and ignoring the actual mic itself.

what in the gently caress

edit:lmao the 3.5mm jack wasn't seated properly

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Mar 27, 2020

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Jonny 290 posted:

knowing exactly what you're doing takes just one trip to the range.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

point stands

my parents would buy a couple giant garbage cans at the start of hurricane season and fill those up with water when a hurricane was coming to use as non-drinking water, then just use them as garbage cans for the following year. never had to get in them, thankfully, but it wasn't the worst idea.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

rotor posted:

if i was sick i would simply shoot the virus with my gun.

hell yeah rotor. stand your ground body.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

now that the us has taken leadership here where other countries were too afraid to, it should be just a few weeks before we've conquered the virus

it's kind of cool how the virus is illustrating that the most dangerous thing in our lives is other people

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Broken Machine posted:

now that the us has taken leadership here where other countries were too afraid to, it should be just a few weeks before we've conquered the virus

it's kind of cool how the virus is illustrating that the most dangerous thing in our lives is other people

I think we're going to find out that the most dangerous thing is actually institutional malfeasance

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

qirex posted:

I think we're going to find out that the most dangerous thing is actually institutional malfeasance

which is other people. also malfeasance is a weird word, because no one ever says feasance anymore, and malfeasance mostly just shows up in contexts like that. it's like a vestigial word

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Broken Machine posted:

which is other people. also malfeasance is a weird word, because no one ever says feasance anymore, and malfeasance mostly just shows up in contexts like that. it's like a vestigial word

What a strange post.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Broken Machine posted:

institutions are not people, don't listen to mitt romney

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Jabor posted:

institutions are not people, don't listen to mitt romney

if you submit a claim to an insurer, it will be people working on behalf of that company to decide the claim. institutions aren't people, however they are comprised of people making those life decisions. people are the most dangerous thing you encounter on a daily basis, whether that's directly in person or through an organization

it's such a nice day out and there's almost no traffic. bus rides are free too but i'm not feeling like taking the bus right now

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
what's going on

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

is salary reduction legal in Canada? sounds like our company wants to reduce everyone’s pay during the pandemic instead of doing layoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Salt Fish posted:

What a strange post.