Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cold on a Cob posted:

this is loving cool

since you seem to be keeping up on this stuff, is this related to vaccines i've heard about where they want to target the parts that don't mutate or mutate slowly? i heard they've been working on a version for the flu for years but there's no political will since it only kills a relatively small number of people and we have vaccines already...

I haven't heard about them working on the flu vaccine but it wouldn't surprise me. It's a good idea because the current flu vaccine is only about 40% effective. I don't know if they are able to target any antigens that are common to all influenza viruses but it would be extremely cool. A universal flu vaccine would be a game-changer.

Scientists have been warning about coronaviruses for years, decades. We KNEW about the bats being a reservoir for pandemic-potential coronaviruses. Had we spent more money on research we could have already had antiviral drugs and vaccines ready.
This whole pandemic could have been prevented, 100%. There are no mysteries here. It's just about putting in the time and money and doing the science. That's all.

In my opinion we need to get rid of the economics entirely and just go with a pure science-based approach, funded publicly, globally.

Constant monitoring of pathogens in animal populations so we can predict which ones might jump to humans. Then work on vaccines or antiviral drugs for those, and keep them on hand for when we need them.
Then when there is a new outbreak, we might be able to nip it in the bud.

BTW I get most of my information from a podcast called This Week in Virology, which has been a shining beacon of unbiased scientific information during the pandemic, IMO. They have some very interesting guests (Tony Fauci for example) but they themselves are experts in virology and immunology.
My main gripe is that they often run 2, 2.5 hours which is a large time investment but it's an excellent way to keep current and to get real expert opinion without any bias from the media. My other gripe is that there is a lot of technical jargon, but you get used to that.
https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

quote != edit

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

God bless our beautiful TRUCKERS! FOUR MORE YEARS!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've started up a new game of New Vegas. The best of the 3D fallout games. Also it's 10 years old or smth

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

piss three

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's called whiskey OP

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

this job has become the best one i've ever worked at and i got it by trawling craigslist lol

Taking career advice from Pleasure Kevin eh?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I have allergies that give me a stuffy nose, runny nose and sneezing so at th start of the pandemic I was freaking out about every errant cough but now I don't care anymore because that's no way to live for the 1,5 to 2 years this thing will end up taking.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Trader Joes is the expensive Aldi really.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

President Beep posted:

but it already seems cheap as gently caress tho. aldi more so?

Aldi is a long-established brand in Europe, has been around for decades. It is well known as a super discount store. ALDI is a family business that shares the brand between two distinct companies, each run by one of the brothers of the family. There's Aldi North and Aldi South. Initially the split was only in Germany, but they basically divvied up the entire world like that now. In principle they don't operate on each other's territory.

Now Trader Joe's is owned by Aldi North, and the Aldi stores are owned by Aldi South.

It is my understanding that Trader Joe's is slightly more upmarket than ALDI. Where Aldi is a discount supermarket, TJ focuses a bit more on "exotic" products from all around the world, at a low price.

I guess using TJ allows North to get around their agreement with South but that also means they can't position themselves in exactly the same market.

Idk these are a lot of words about supermarkets thanks for reading.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I grew up on Aldi, my parents never had a lot of money and you can feed a family on the cheap by shopping there. Good quality food too, the cheap vegetables save a lot of families from having to eat a lot of processed food instead I think. I would shop there now but there really isn't one nearby enough and I make enough not to have to.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Can you sous vide soup:thunk:
Sure why not.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You can sous vide salmiakki. Nothing is sacred.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i sous vided up some dulce de leche over the summer

Yeah that's a great use for it and it's really easy to do

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i don't like my penis. it's coarse, and rough, and irritating, and it gets everywhere.

Stop spreading your midichlorians all over the place it's disgusting

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

haveblue posted:

all I need to know about caving I learned from ted the caver

hope he posts another update soon

Still waiting on an update from frankie the strap on guy

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I have met several goons IRL and some are my friends now.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah you guys haven't really experienced hospitals being over capacity like we have in Europe yet. Come Christmas you will.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Don't worry though because wealthy people will have access to private clinics with the best of care.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Not gonna lie, I'm happy as gently caress that I don't have to go listen to my wife's stepmom shriek about Obama and the baby murderers this year.

gently caress her and her entire family.

Must be horrible this year with all that BALLOT STUFFING and general ELECTION STEALING going on.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's an affront to the entire cheese making tradition that just any random fly by night dairy can make a lovely cheese and call it Gouda.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I think I discovered SA because of the Ppppowerbook saga. Then after lurking for a year or two I got banned from another forum and decided to put down my :10bux: to register because I was bored and wanted to read some threads that were behind the paywall.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dogfish head is dumb.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

yeah don't buy rogue, it's the Reddit of breweries

I've recently found I'm allergic to something in most non-lager beers :(

flavor?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

There's too many gimmick beers around imo with dumb ingredients.

I guess it's one of the reasons why I prefer whisk(e)y, much less room for tomfoolery.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Methanar posted:

alcohol is for edgy 16 year olds and people who like drinking brain poison and paying a poo poo ton of tax for the privilege.

why don't all of you grow up and drink tea like adults

Shut the gently caress up

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I love a good mix of beers but something in most makes me all stuffy and feel like all the bad parts of drunk after half of one :shrug:

Sorry I was being flippant, it sucks that you can't enjoy most beers.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

How exactly does one do an incest with a stranger?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

In developed countries we have things like civil union which is all the legal benefits of getting married without getting married.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm kinda looking forward to the post-pandemic period. Gonna party my rear end off and get me some.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm gonna give so many people hugs I'm gonna start a new pandemic

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Fortaleza posted:

I'm gonna post up at bars and swap stories with everyone for hours on end

Yeah all those stories about all the cool stuff we all did during the pandemic.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The 2070 Tori Report: Hey guys, The Villages are great, shame Jonny died in a tragic vaping accident, who else is ready to buy a trailer in the everglades next to mine

Better caulk that wagon hoss, by 2070 the Everglades will be out at sea.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The best eggplant dish is Sichuan fish fragrant eggplant.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Midjack posted:

hey freedom loving patriots: do you want internal travel documents in the united states? because this is how you get them.

With this supreme court? Not likely.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Just on the off-chance this will be of use to someone:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/sponsorblock-for-youtube/mnjggcdmjocbbbhaepdhchncahnbgone?hl=en

(theres also a Firefox version I believe)

Works pretty much seamlessly - unless you hit a video super early after publishing before someone has flagged the sponsor timestamps - , alongside a good adblock your YouTube should be a pleasant experience (unless the algo recommends you poo poo ofc)

As long as this doesn't interfere with my Nobbleberry episodes.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've always wondered what would happen if you got selected for jury duty on a big case. Like do you basically have to quit your job for a couple of months if not years for the really long winded cases?

e: or the ones where they basically lock the jury up to keep them from getting the news and such. How is that even fair to the jurors lol.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

qirex posted:

I miss lifting a weight even though I wasn't very good at it but gyms are like the worst case covid incubators so I didn't go back once they opened

I got some dumbbells and am lifting a weight at home.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Gotta keep costs down to maximize the tax free grift potential

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

btw if you purchase certain sizes of threaded rod in the United States and it's determined you're a risk for leaving the country, you're absolutely being kept track of by the NRCC

https://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/cfr/part110/full-text.html

Did you have to report any and all sales of the items on the list or was there a way for you to somehow determine if a customer was deemed a flight risk?