Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
we got an all-hands email today saying that if we wfh we should always use video conferencing and always dress as if we were going to the office even for internal calls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

whoever is/could be making these is eagerly watching news of quarantines with their eyeballs turning into dollar signs

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

FMguru posted:

all work conferencing should be done in microsoft comic chat

T PANTS YES *HORK*

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
the fast vpn endpoint hasn't been working for me the past three days, but started working as soon as i started writing a ticket about it :thunk:

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Broken Machine posted:

i remember reading some article where they looked at how far kids are allowed to roam from their house. a century ago, it was like ten miles. then gradually over time parents got more and more afraid, and neighbors more likely to call the cops because of your poor child enjoying playing outside instead of glazing in front of screens

my grandmother grew up in northern new jersey. as a kid in the 30s she and her friends would walk across the newly-completed george washington bridge to manhattan, and if they all had a nickel for the toll, they could go into the city for the day. she would have been maybe 12 at the time

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

FMguru posted:

count down days until 19 january 2038

assuming we don't all die of climate change first there's gonna be one hell of a consulting market for this in 10-15 years

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

disarming the cops absolutely has to happen, but lol the howling you'd hear about it. i bet they'd all quit

"nooo, don't give the reformists what they want, or else we'll give the abolitionists what they want"

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

carry on then posted:

immunity is lost in weeks anyway.

is there any actual evidence of this? afaik it's typical that the active antibodies eventually decrease, but there's some studies on T-cell memory which seem to suggest a normal response there, which would indicate a strong future immune response

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Jonny 290 posted:

it's more shades of gray than that though. Studies do show that it's likely that you do get a decent immunity period, but also covid ages your pulmonary system ten years each time you get it. So the chance for you to get rekt by a respiratory infection or the flu or pneumonia probably go WAY up if you've had it. those deaths of course will not be counted as covid deaths, but some of them definitely are.

yeah that's something to consider too. I was thinking more in terms of how rapidly it'll continue to spread, obviously long-term effects are a different but important category

haveblue posted:

there are a couple of people whose test results may indicate they have been reinfected. there are no reputable studies that have conclusively proved immunity is short-lived among the general population

i would figure with millions of people infected there's going to be some crazy outliers whether that's false negatives or genuine reinfection. mega agreed that the lack of increased infection rate in countries that got it under control is hard to explain if reinfections are common

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

b-rock "the islamic shock" is mellifluous

i will never not read it in the voice of a wrestling ring announcer

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

uncurable mlady posted:

i suspect anti-vax sentiment might widen a bit after trump tries to dr mengele his hand at widespread distribution of first-wave vaccines that were rushed through trials. remember, the only criteria for success is "better than getting coronavirus, even slightly"

i'm in favor of all vaccines except any which were rushed through to meet "operation warp speed". i don't doubt that an effective vaccine for sars-cov-2 is possible but i personally am willing to wait for wide-scale testing and real-world usage to be really, really sure it's safe

for the same reason i'm happy to let rich assholes buy their way to the front of the line for any vaccine, though. won't shed many tears for someone who got greedy and just couldn't bear not being able to fly halfway across the globe on a whim if it turns out there's some unknown side effect

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Kenny Logins posted:

badminton is a weird sport to play socially, because there are three tiers of sportsmanship you run across

1) beginner, doesn’t take it seriously, singles or doubles sure but can’t really get a good rally going, but the game is fun

2) intermediate, takes it way too seriously, skilled but uses their skills to play in the most annoying way imaginable, miserable doubles partner, sucks all the fun out

3) god tier, doesn’t take it seriously, scales their play to their opponent(s), great doubles partner, can get a good rally going, most fun imaginable

lots of 1s and 2s never enough 3s

this describes to a T my experience in a billiards league. i was once matched with someone ranked waaaaay higher than me and it was absolutely mesmerizing to watch him play even has i was getting ground into dust. super nice guy though.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

also for not giving out allocated doses fast enough iirc

and getting a dose had some kind of certification process that was about as accessible as the dmv?

a 51-question application

quote:

Those seeking appointments must fill out a multi-step verification process to set up an account and face about 51 questions or fields to check off on the Health Department's site, according to Stringer.
"I was able to make her one after a lot of trouble," Kuppersmith said. "It's really difficult to load. So after many, many tries of refreshing, reentering the information, over and over again, I was finally able to get the appointments to actually show."
Her grandmother doesn't own a computer and would not have been able to sign up online alone.
Scharrenbroich, as did Kuppersmith, suspected they needed to clear their browsers' cookies for the website to allow them to go through the entire sign-up process.
"You can't expect an older person to do that," Scharrenbroich said.

i think i read somewhere that it involved multiple file attachments too lmao

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

TOOT BOOT posted:

I miss popular music having different flavors, a lot of what 's popular now is very similar-sounding to me

There's still good stuff out there but it feels like the mainstream is very homogenized because almost every aspect of the business is controlled by a small number of companies

don't forget that half the pop songs are written by the same six or so scandinavian guys

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
i had a very sore arm with fatigue and overnight chills after pfizer #1, fatigue and chills cleared after 24h, and soreness cleared by 48h. tbh it was about as bad as any other vaccine i've gotten so it doesn't feel like much to report.

i apparently had covid last year so i'm hoping that the first shot was the bad one and my immune system will handle #2 better.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Roosevelt posted:

ive heard that icey-hot or bengay are great topical treatments

as a former arthritis sufferer: yes. icy-hot is from the gods.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

rotor posted:

the only bar i actually enjoyed hangin out in was the Frolic Room. sometimes we could get the bartender to light the bar on fire, it was great.

my first, and last, experience with 151 was in a dive bar where the bartender accidentally lit the bar on fire after pouring our shots, which were not ordered with any flame component

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
lol i used to work at a place where continuous delivery really was continuous. about half the dev team had the power to push the Big Deploy Button which deployed the entire codebase and that included the data science teams who usually pushed it hourly cuz they liked to iterate and were on three continents so someone was almost always working. whatever you had on master was deployed verbatim so you best not gently caress up.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Achmed Jones posted:

if y'all had cd set up why did someone need to push a deploy button?

the deploy process combined the output of like 30 repositories and more people were allowed to push the button than accept pull requests. it was supposed to be the other way around but there was a ton of "hey this person on my team is working on an important project" and welp. so depending on the repo you would have to hunt for someone to accept your PR and they'd blindly say yes assuming you had tested it, then you got to deploy your own code "when it was ready" (actual answer: you'd discover that someone else had kicked off a deploy in the two minutes between the merge and the time you got to that interface).

no i don't know why it wasn't automatic if it was otherwise that much of a free for all. weird culture.

Quebec Bagnet fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Stereotype posted:

yeah it's definitely a state-by-state thing for the dmv. the hawaii dmv is actually pretty good. it used to have insanely long all-day lines but they now have an appointment system where you only have to wait like a week, then can show up and almost immediately get your stuff taken care of. then most things you can just do online too, like car registration renewal or getting a new licence if you lost yours or it is expiring. and there's a ton of satellite city halls with pretty reasonable wait times (5-10 minutes) if you don't want to do it online.

i know that in wisconsin the insanely gerrymandered GOP legislature closed all the dmv offices in cities and moved them way out of town (to save money on office space rent you see) and then also cut their hours way down. it's super infuriating that republicans openly and deliberately sabotage services and then brag about it, and then people still for some reason don't connect the dots when they have to deal with the now awful service.

i've heard that california's DMV is particularly bad which is why TV writers write jokes about how bad the DMV is and that perpetuates the idea.

meanwhile here in new york it's been fine, there's long lines but once you get through the main waiting line it's usually pretty quick. and if you make an appointment you can skip most of the line.