Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

mediaphage posted:

autotune has been a thing since the 90s when cher made a massively popular track with it

which track? i honestly don't remember. i remember t-pain of course. the best part of t-pain is he's an absolutely amazing singer and he's known for his auto-tuned stuff lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Cold on a Cob posted:

which track? i honestly don't remember. i remember t-pain of course. the best part of t-pain is he's an absolutely amazing singer and he's known for his auto-tuned stuff lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZXRV4MezEw

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I miss popular music having different flavors, a lot of what 's popular now is very similar-sounding to me

There's still good stuff out there but it feels like the mainstream is very homogenized because almost every aspect of the business is controlled by a small number of companies

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

that song seemed to be omnipresent at the time

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

yeah, this. it's a great song and i remember thinking at the time how new and different it sounded. plus like, what a genius way to introduce the tech imo. just flat out turn it up to 12

TOOT BOOT posted:

I miss popular music having different flavors, a lot of what 's popular now is very similar-sounding to me

There's still good stuff out there but it feels like the mainstream is very homogenized because almost every aspect of the business is controlled by a small number of companies

i dunno, i think no small part of this is because we inevitably tend to our own musical echo chambers. for sure styles get popularized these days in part because of how readily you can share and spread things ad infinitum thanks to digital and the internet. but i'd argue there's more diversity available than ever before

prefect posted:

it was her big comeback track iirc, plus it was wild and different

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

prefect posted:

yeah, i remember it very well

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
talk about over-chering

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

President Beep posted:

talk about over-chering

if i could turn back time i'd take back ur posts

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
oh yeah I remember that song. guess I didn’t realize it was auto tuned at the time

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Found a site that makes custom credit card covers

Gonna take this baby to the grocery store and buy steak and lobster while people get mad at me

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

genres are dead and its streaming services fault.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

mediaphage posted:

yeah, this. it's a great song and i remember thinking at the time how new and different it sounded. plus like, what a genius way to introduce the tech imo. just flat out turn it up to 12
I thought Cher publicly denied using autotune

Wikipedia posted:

In an early interview, the producers of "Believe" claimed they had used a DigiTech Talker FX pedal, in what Sound on Sound's editors felt was an attempt to preserve a trade secret

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i missed hotdog chat but hebrew national is the best

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

I thought Cher publicly denied using autotune

maybe. i was definitely not reading industry news as a teenager. i mostly meant on the part of the sw people since i assumed there was collaboration. it seems so quaint to do that these days. like nobody is going to mistake anyone else for cher

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kitten emergency posted:

how many new cars you see out there with any ashtrays in them, let alone multiple ashtrays?

fridges no longer have butter conditioners :qq:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Shaggar posted:

i missed hotdog chat but hebrew national is the best

this is a reasonable take

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Ansible Adams posted:

I was going to say you’re wrong but the progressive electrofolk album I’m listening to came out in 2006

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Ansible Adams posted:

my girl tay sway put out a folk album

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
My wife got hot dogs made out of her deer this year and they are really good.

Re: grill chat, tonight was my inaugural grill of the season! Grilled some of her venison steaks on charcoal. Some neighborhood deer were watching me, and I would assume they were judging me if it weren't for the fact that deer are so god drat stupid.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I hate it when I have to run out to the suburbs for something, I always feel like I don’t belong there and while I’m probably just being paranoid, I get a sense that other people pick up on that and feel the same way.

A while ago I went to a flower shop in one of the suburbs here that thinks very highly of itself and the lady behind the counter flat out told me that I wasn’t her “usual kind of customer” and “seemed urban.” I mean, what the gently caress is that.

she thought you were gay lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

she thought you were gay lol

That’s better than being called a poor

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

AnimeIsTrash posted:

My team lead talks to her gen z nieces and nephews and often asks us to translate what they are saying. When I first started this job she asked me what "dabbing on the haters in fortnite" meant. :v:

my boss had to fill out some questionnaire as part of his kid's college application and called me into his office to ask what "cisgendered" meant

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

we have an older friend who is a minor author of mystery novels, and a few years back she asked my sister and i to look over one of her drafts because it involved millennial age people and she wanted to be sure she got all the technology terms right. kinda cute actually.

it wasn't too bad. the big standout was that her 26-year-old main character was using an @sympatico.ca email address, which would mean she had gotten a residential internet connection with bell canada circa 1996 (and stuck with them for twenty years). sister did have to correct some of the ways she talked about mixed-race people though

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
did the character have a "mulatto butts" ringtone

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my boss had to fill out some questionnaire as part of his kid's college application and called me into his office to ask what "cisgendered" meant

this is reminiscent of me having to look up the other definition of "gay" when someone called
me that in fifth grade and i was pretty sure they weren't noting my sunny disposition.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i kayaked to the hotdog island

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

the hot dog was a hebrew national

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

is the hotdog island where the big rock candy mountain is?

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
So sad how Oscar Meyer turned that place into a hot dog republic.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

PokeJoe posted:

i kayaked to the hotdog island

Is this lake washington?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Is this lake washington?

chuckanut island in puget sound

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

hell yeah. i want to go to chucklefuck island.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

President Beep posted:

hell yeah. i want to go to chucklefuck island.

making a pilgrimage back to the homeland?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
ol' five knuckles as the kids say

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Asleep Style posted:

making a pilgrimage back to the homeland?

like an old salmon, beep returns to his spawning grounds despite having no memory of being there

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i don't like the costco hot dog because it's steamed or whatever. i prefer my hot dogs grilled over charcoal so they get that nice cancer-causing char

yeah true that. hotdogs/frankfurters aren't terrible or whatever, they're just, you know. not as good as other sausages

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Hebrew Nationals are good. Ball Parks are the lowest form of hot dog.

A cooler with warm foil wrapped hot dogs is great picnic food.

I will eat any sausage that Uli’s makes. With a little spicy mustard.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

childhood weekends at grandma and grandpa's place

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

childhood weekends at grandma and grandpa's place

these smell like cat food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool