Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
Mandatory 'back to office' one day a week after July 4th weekend at my employer. Combined with airline cutbacks, no rogue "work from low-COL area across the country" here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

prefect posted:

a benefit of always working from home: when my eyebrows get too long, i can just blast 'em off when i give myself a haircut. nobody sees me up close, so nothing to worry about :peanut:

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

psiox posted:

i mean it's not really accomplishing anything but at the same time i don't care enough to put any effort whatsoever into resisting it

other things, like 'whitelist' and 'blacklist' i can get due to the whole subconscious white=good black=bad thing and also from a l10n perspective of 'oh yeah these are kinda colloquial terms that not everyone from everywhere will immediately understand like "allow" vs "block"'

anyway it'd be nice if the government could do something instead of this lead-from-behind PR crap

You want an executive order / law insisting that all uses of "master" in software shall henceforth be replaced with "trump" if you want to sell to the US federal government?

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
Stubbornly using localization and internationalization as interchangeable terms is a really fun way to piss off pendantic tech people who keep trying to correct you.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Midjack posted:

the fancy ones with heated water and steerable streams do.

The ones that use a camera to "automatically" locate the target area are an always-popular category of HITs on Mechanical Turk.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Methanar posted:

I haven't had a haircut in over a year.

I can't pull off long hair, my hair density is way too low.

Sure you can!

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Jonny 290 posted:

its cause we dont wanna ack that one of the major end goals of institutional racism is to divide the classes and avert their solidarity

a black kid in HS snaps because he's tired of being poor and beats up a white nerd. a korean shop owner doesnt give the black kid a part time job because 'he doesnt hire shoplifters'. a white zoning board prohibits the shop owner's new permits because 'they don't want to turn this into Chinatown.' one of the zoning board guys loses his day job at the aluminum plant because trump likes to do racism with tariffs. president xi gets pissy at aluminum tariffs and orders a few thousand more uighurs white-vanned just for kicks

i realize this is somewhat maudlin Crash (the bad one) energy but you see my point. spot the racism

Definitely the bolded phrase near the bottom. You can't say stuff like that in polite society, come on.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

If you have to drive at all, transit is ruined.

you have a 1 in 77 chance of dying in or due to a car in your life.

I'll walk or take a bike to transit, thanks.

I'm sure that, in most circumstances, adding a bike segment to a trip is increasing your likelihood of dying due to a car, not reducing it.

(But still a superior choice for lifestyle reasons.)

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
:smithicide:

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

SO DEMANDING posted:

watching bands die like this is the saddest thing. that's definitely the terminal stage, the phase before that is the big reunion concert/tv special (to be aired on PBS most likely) where 3-5 original band members (all in their late 60s, probably fat, varying degrees of ailments showing, all needing money) perform with 20 random backing musicians. suddenly a song originally with only guitar, bass, and drums has 3 other percussionists, a grand piano, some dude with more keyboards than rick wakeman, far more guitars than needed, and a small gospel choir.

the original band members don't do much, maybe the front man dances around a bit on stage with a tambourine while the small orchestra behind him carries the song. it doesn't sound particularly good. the audience looks like a nursing home.

Hey look, Metallica just released another symphony album!

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Except Philly. I miss Philly.

Has anyone else ever said this?

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

membership chat always makes me wonder why banks don't have a super simple way to generate a one-time daughter credit card number that can be revoked without affecting my actual card that i can hand out and kill whenever i want. that's the only foolproof way out of some gym contracts i've found.

Thing is, just because you've stopped paying them doesn't mean you're not in violation of the contract you signed and accumulating debt for the service you may or may not be using.

They could come after you for it in small claims court and most of the time win a default judgment, send it to collections... If the cancellation process isn't too bullshit (client has documented unhonoured cancellation requests) they'd probably even win a contested one.

I'm sure there are precedents on this but be damned if I'm going looking for them.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

fart simpson posted:

everyone should buy their children an account

The still-in-diapers regdate will buy them credibility far beyond their years!

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
My wife and I have discussed our disappointment that "Only the tooth fairy is real, all the other fairies are pretend." hasn't been subjected to greater scrutiny.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Uptime Sinclair posted:

was stockwell day the shithead who had a private plane he called prayer force one or was that someone else

Come on, Canadian politicians not named Gaglardi, Martin, Morneau, or Stronach don't have *that* much money even if they get lots of patronage board directorships.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

hell yeah cutting 401k contributions by 50% and starting the answer to the question of “whats up with bonuses” with “well we dont think people work here because of compensation”

Save that line for the exit interview.

"I guess you were right, because now I don't!"

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
My mortgage is just shy of 4000/mo and I moved out to the suburbs to get it that low. :smithfrog:

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Jonny 290 posted:

nbd just sell it to somebody else that can afford a 4500 mortgage if you get in a pinch. ez

At these interest rates, it's more like "two thirds of the payment is equity, just take a bit back out if you need to", with interest + tax + maint being massively less than rent, but still.

(That's how people have rationalized these prices through our twenty+ year bull run - "the principal doesn't count!")

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
Environmentally friendly flight: gliders and railguns!

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

only if she has a covid patient, otherwise just basic PPE. if she does have a covid patient she only takes care of her + the bab(y/ies), otherwise she has 2 moms and 2n babies

Is that NICU? We've had a few kids and that "normal" staffing ratio is unreal.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
Seriously, if we saw a nurse for more than five minutes every three or four hours after they were done weighing, measuring, and implanting the microchips in our newborns I'd be shocked.

It was pretty disconcerting with our firstborn when we didn't have a clue how to do anything but really no different except for lowered expectations for the return trips.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

qirex posted:

my company did the “oops barely any money for raises this year, y’know, covid and such but we’re a strong team!” followed by announcing two 5 year new customer deals the next week

I'm expecting to hear our raise budget any day now, expecting even more paltry numbers than usual because of "market conditions" even though we've had a barn-burner of a year massively exceeding all growth targets.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
Public health where I live is absolutely ignoring the "hold second dose for later" in order to inoculate twice as many people up front figuring they'll have lots more supply by the time the second dose is due anyway.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

lament.cfg posted:

He used mommy and daddy's apartheid emerald mine money to start x.com, a loving bank. Then he bought competitors with actual products, and ended up selling Paypal to eBay for 1.5bn. Now he uses that money to play scientist & inventor.

Hasn't everybody started a bank?

Yo, I'll take your money and pay you no interest right now!

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
Don't forget there are already a couple strains (? - definitely Brazil's) that seem to have significantly reduced vaccine effectiveness, like 50-60% instead of mid-high 90s.

I think "vaccine and over" is denial unless everybody just kinda goes "well, gently caress it then" after there's plenty of vaccine for everybody who wants it.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

spankmeister posted:

So the 50-60% less effectivity of "the" vaccine is a number that's pulled out of the air completely and honestly is tantamount to fear mongering by uninformed journalists, because nowhere in the scientific paper (preprint honestly) do the authors arrive at that conclusion.

I believe I'm extrapolating the Sinovac Brazilian results as potentially being tied to the local variant more than "hey Sinovac just sucks unlike the two approved mRNA vaccines" which is absolutely premature and not the least bit well founded "yet", but I'm personally much happier with having low expectations and being surprised to the upside than the opposite. Aren't most people?

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I am going to own the noble kia niro plugin hybrid and drive it until the wheels fall off or I die in a battery fire. I expect this will take upwards of 20 years since it isnt a tesla

Pretty sure both the Hyundai Kona and Chevy Bolt have "well, poo poo..." recalls going for spontaneous battery self-ignition, attributed to the car overcharging them. The recall "fix": diagnostics that kill the car if the battery looks out of sorts, and if that happens you never actually get a new battery, people have been in loaner vehicles for months. Lately, gossip has some cars with "fix" possibly catching fire anyway.

But hey, maybe the Niro's batteries suck less?

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1326-Rockland-Ave_Pittsburgh_PA_15216_M35199-11963

This place is a block and a half from me and it’s just non stop cars coming and going and this isn’t a desirable neighborhood, what the gently caress is going on

As a Vancouver-liver, these posts always make me think I'm making a mistake if I don't buy up like ten houses in/around Pittsburgh to rent out via property managers for way less than my own mortgage costs up here.

Higher prices normalize given time.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
oh god how did this get here I am not good with computers

https://twitter.com/lawrencehurley/status/1359207169091108864

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 10, 2021

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
loving weak sauce rookies...

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
But are they dying with car crashes or of car crashes?

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

gatdamn

also lol at nearly returning to pre-pandemic traffic levels

A lot of people who need to be on site and used to use public transit aren't very keen on transit right now so bought cars.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
Still say it doesn't matter what nominal house prices are compared to your mental perception, probably formed in teens, of what they should be (I'm guilty of same).

What matters is interest and currency debasement, both of which make housing cheap, dead cheap. Prices gonna fly up longer and harder than the early 2000s.

https://twitter.com/SolidusMax/status/1363297444927266820

https://twitter.com/RaoulGMI/status/1367140971385917445?s=19

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Captain Foo posted:

what in the gently caress is this

The desperate self rationalizations of someone who owns a house in an expensive market. But prices can and will climb so much higher - people still find a way.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Kazinsal posted:

the covid vaccine signup system opened up today for seniors 80+ and first nations people 65+.

1.7 million people called the hotline this morning. there are only 5 million people in the province.

anyways I'm celebrating year 2 of this poo poo by leaving work early and having a socially distanced responsible cheeky pint with the lads at a small brewery that only seats a couple dozen people at a time

It's actually only for 90+ year olds who don't live in any sort of assisted living / long term care type place, plus aged 65+ indigenous.

Especially given that a lot of indigenous people have already been vaccinated and only 3.8% of population is indigenous (ie 190,000 total skewed young), there are probably fewer than 20,000 people who have any business calling.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
I suppose a continuous flow of screwing around pictures is pretty on brand for the "working from home" thread.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

PCjr sidecar posted:

i cut my trees with a saw on a stick

electric chainsaw, it kinda sucks but sucks less than the alternatives

With the US border being effectively closed for the past year, the price differential for everything expensive I want to buy on Amazon.ca has now cleared 40% (after FX) from its usual 15-25% since manufacturers know we now can't take half an hour and duck into Washington (or 'insert state here') when the gap gets too big.

I've got a bunch of yard stuff I want to buy.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras posted:

The desperate self rationalizations of someone who owns a house in an expensive market. But prices can and will climb so much higher - people still find a way.

Just following up, I didn't particularly cherry pick these, they're two side-by-side pairs with poorer curb appeal among the most recent 7 house sales reported in Vancouver and only the 4.95m one is among the most expensive (there are a bunch of others in the 4s in the last week, one 6, couple 5s). 100 CAD = 78.94 USD (live mid-market rate).

You can't really buy any manner of detached house within an hour+ of downtown for less than 1.2-1.5m depending on suburb reputation - everything cheaper is straight-up torn down.

The median household income *after tax* was 52,000 in 2017, though obviously you aren't buying a house unless you make 3x that - but still, enough people find a way!

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 9, 2021

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
Few years ago I had a brilliant six month stretch where I went swimming every day at lunch. Already had two of my bunch of little kids so it was getting hard to get away in morning or evening but I was probably more productive overall ducking out for that 75-90 minutes in the middle of each day than working through lunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

fyi it was an 8 year renewal probably last time you had one

we had to make so many boomers in our families get reupped when we formed babby, and goddamn did they hem and haw lol

What strange family 'new baby' rituals do you have where boomers infect babies and/or themselves with tetanus?

Is crucifixion involved?