Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
We all like Star Wars here, right? This thread is your stop for discussion of the original trilogy, The special editions, and disco!

There are no rules in this thread because I assume we will all just be clapping each other on the back in fond remembrance of Yoda and such. Betray Yoda's trust, do not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I like the special edition changes and I wish they'd done more work on the speeder chase on Endor because that part looks way worse than a lot of the stuff that did get changed

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

wow first blood already

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

ungulateman posted:

I like the special edition changes and I wish they'd done more work on the speeder chase on Endor because that part looks way worse than a lot of the stuff that did get changed

Ah man I love that poo poo, I love the go-motion....It's like the simplest photography trick in the world but it gets so much mileage

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

ungulateman posted:

I like the special edition changes

a lot of them look like poo poo OP

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
there is that one scene in most eisley where an alien steps in poo poo. and it looks like poo poo. very realistic.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA_D__HMuFw&t=356s

This poo poo is probably my favorite effects shot in star wars. It's two matte paintings that turn into a model, and the laser flash masks the cut. It's....perfect design

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
OG, you say?

Yes… Yes. It would be a great asset.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Well poo poo now we have to rename the entire subforum.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

reignofevil posted:

Well poo poo now we have to rename the entire subforum.

welp. better start a poll

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

OG, you say?

Yes… Yes. It would be a great asset.

the best emperor, hands down

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The only special edition I’ve seen is A New Hope and most of it was ignorable except the loving awful CGI Jabba and the conversation with him where all of Han Solo’s dialogue is clearly copied and pasted directly from the conversation with Greedo he’d just had 2 minutes before. Are they that bad in the other two movies

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
ESB doesn't have much in the way of added stuff, except for cleaned up effects shots and some redone dialogue (bad news if you were a big fan of the original "the first transport is away" guy). The BIG changes are:
-They made a costume for the snow monster at the start and you see it eating a hunk of meat and getting up to attack Luke
-The Emperor scene is redone, he's now played by Ian McDiarmid and the story is weirdly changed so that Darth Vader seems surprised to find out Luke Skywalker is his son
-Cloud City's white hallways are CGIed into windows showing the city outside, making it look a bit like Coruscant from the prequels
E: oh yeah, and Boba Fett's dialogue is redone. Same lines but now voiced by Temuera Morrison, aka Jango Fett and the clones from the prequels

ROTJ has a few significant ones:
-a brief clip of some band playing becomes a full-on CGI muppet musical number
-when Vader is watching the Emperor electrocute Luke, he says "no" flatly and then yells it when he picks up the Emperor
-the end where Luke burns Vader's body and we pan up to fighters flying past letting off fireworks becomes a clip show showing people celebrating the fall of the Empire on Cloud City, Naboo, Tatooine and Coruscant. The jolly ewok song from the ending is replaced with something more orchestrated sounding, and Anakin's ghost is now Hayden Christensen

I don't much care about the special edition changes for the most part; the Special Effect Rings coming off big explosions is stupid, Jabba in episode 4 is dumb, and the reprise of "noooooo!" was unnecessary, but I was young enough when I came out that I don't have any particular attachment to the originals

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

FunkyAl posted:

Ah man I love that poo poo, I love the go-motion....It's like the simplest photography trick in the world but it gets so much mileage

That's not what go-motion is!!!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

2house2fly posted:

ESB doesn't have much in the way of added stuff, except for cleaned up effects shots and some redone dialogue (bad news if you were a big fan of the original "the first transport is away" guy). The BIG changes are:
-They made a costume for the snow monster at the start and you see it eating a hunk of meat and getting up to attack Luke
-The Emperor scene is redone, he's now played by Ian McDiarmid and the story is weirdly changed so that Darth Vader seems surprised to find out Luke Skywalker is his son
-Cloud City's white hallways are CGIed into windows showing the city outside, making it look a bit like Coruscant from the prequels
E: oh yeah, and Boba Fett's dialogue is redone. Same lines but now voiced by Temuera Morrison, aka Jango Fett and the clones from the prequels

ROTJ has a few significant ones:
-a brief clip of some band playing becomes a full-on CGI muppet musical number
-when Vader is watching the Emperor electrocute Luke, he says "no" flatly and then yells it when he picks up the Emperor
-the end where Luke burns Vader's body and we pan up to fighters flying past letting off fireworks becomes a clip show showing people celebrating the fall of the Empire on Cloud City, Naboo, Tatooine and Coruscant. The jolly ewok song from the ending is replaced with something more orchestrated sounding, and Anakin's ghost is now Hayden Christensen

I don't much care about the special edition changes for the most part; the Special Effect Rings coming off big explosions is stupid, Jabba in episode 4 is dumb, and the reprise of "noooooo!" was unnecessary, but I was young enough when I came out that I don't have any particular attachment to the originals

I hate the emperor change a lot more than any of the others, A) Because the monkey eyes are a cool effect, and B) Having alec guiness playing the emperor adds an interesting dimension to the overall piece.

Mooey Cow posted:

That's not what go-motion is!!!

It's Almost what go motion is...

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Those loving rings.

Also the musical number, but mostly,

Those loving rings.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

https://youtu.be/DXpmunmG5ss

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

2house2fly posted:

isn't this a cleanup of a filmed scene they originally discarded?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the added wampa shots are an improvement, maybe the only unambiguous one in the special editions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG2ooKr5zP8

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I'm rewatching the empire strikes back now, There's a scene of R2 "scanning" for luke with a little satellite shortly before he encounters the ghost of obi wan. Han solo has a a huge radio scanner looking thing with antennae as well, and luke has a little headphone with an antenna.

Here's my hypothesis: Artoo is projecting Obi-Wan whenever we see or hear him. This was a LONG range transmission however, and In a sense establishes Artoo as a powerful jedi in his own right. He probably learned more from yoda than luke.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

FunkyAl posted:

I'm rewatching the empire strikes back now, There's a scene of R2 "scanning" for luke with a little satellite shortly before he encounters the ghost of obi wan. Han solo has a a huge radio scanner looking thing with antennae as well, and luke has a little headphone with an antenna.

Here's my hypothesis: Artoo is projecting Obi-Wan whenever we see or hear him. This was a LONG range transmission however, and In a sense establishes Artoo as a powerful jedi in his own right. He probably learned more from yoda than luke.

Artoobi-Wan theory may yet grow to rival Bigger Luke theory.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

his full name is R2-D2-OB1

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Maybe r2 was projecting obiwan even as early as a new hope when he projected those rocks in front of himself

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

reignofevil posted:

Maybe r2 was projecting obiwan even as early as a new hope when he projected those rocks in front of himself

he projected alec guinesses hairline

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Squizzle posted:

the added wampa shots are an improvement, maybe the only unambiguous one in the special editions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG2ooKr5zP8

eh. I even vote no on that. the original version was like a scene from a horror movie. tension builds better when you can't see it imo

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Maybe the answer was moodier lighting or shadows. we can all wonder

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQTdOcYK9Ds

Documentary about Matte Painting B)

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

ungulateman posted:

It really does. I remember finally getting the original films in HD and being shocked to see that the speeder chase held up way better on my 90s VHS tapes

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It takes work for me to judge the movies objectively, since I watched them far enough back that they're wedged into my brain in points before I learned to think critically. Something about the lighting inside the X-Wings during the battle of the Death Star warps me back to a mall parking garage in Connecticut.

They're definitely good though. Probably.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

I don't hate Hayden as Anakin's ghost I just really like Sebastian Shaw as Anakin's ghost.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Very nice. I've always admired those people's ability to paint so realistically, but of course it's a painstaking process that could take months per painting.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Tomtrek posted:

I don't hate Hayden as Anakin's ghost I just really like Sebastian Shaw as Anakin's ghost.

At a minimum they should have made him look older. Vader's at least in his 40s. Christensen that is.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I always appreciated that Luke got a father at the end. How is a teenager supposed to be his father?

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Maybe Shaw should have kept the burns as a ghost. Maybe he should have had even more burns as Luke set him on fire, and he'd be like "hey thanks for setting me on fire you dumbass, now I'm a hosed up ghost".

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Tomtrek posted:

i dont hate it either but its a neat moment when you go “wait whos that third person- ohhh”

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
I'm sure avoiding the complete awkwardness of Anakin Skywalker being younger than Luke Skywalker is the reason the former never showed up in the sequel trilogy.

As for Sebastian Shaw, he radiates "nice middle-aged guy" and the pathos that evokes when he's the unmasked, dying Vader is kind of wonderful. Just the image of this old man with a bittersweet expression on his scarred face, lying in his mechanical armor of evil conveys the entire tragedy of the character.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I'm sure avoiding the complete awkwardness of Anakin Skywalker being younger than Luke Skywalker is the reason the former never showed up in the sequel trilogy.

I’m sure that has nothing to do with it.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Remember in Obi-Wan's hut when him and Luke are talking, 3PO goes "if you don't mind I'm gonna switch off now".

He's like "I don't wanna listen to this boring poo poo, I'd rather be literally unconscious".

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Mooey Cow posted:

Remember in Obi-Wan's hut when him and Luke are talking, 3PO goes "if you don't mind I'm gonna switch off now".

He's like "I don't wanna listen to this boring poo poo, I'd rather be literally unconscious".

And Luke's like "sure whatever" because he gives no fucks about 3PO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That was another kind of weird non sequitur moment. I wonder if they just didn't want C3PO butting in with "oh my" and "my goodness" during all the exposition