Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Compared with some of the tracks that have popped up in the US in recent times -- Miller in Utah, VIR (re-opening) and Barber -- some of the international ones also have the stress of being The Major International Circuit For This Country which means they're designing for the whims of Formula 1 and/or MotoGP. Barber and Miller don't have to worry about that, which is nice. Still doesn't excuse things like Yas Marina, especially when

also part of why I was impressed with Motegi was as a spectator, it looks pretty easy to get around. Fuji is similar -- you can walk to almost every corner pretty easily, and there's plenty of hills and interesting places to walk from. Motegi has the bonus that some of the hills would give you a sightline to almost the entire circuit. This is separate from the in-car experience (but even then, I've grown to enjoy Fuji in GT Sport, last section and all).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

What is that, a rear wing for ants?

2009 F1 ruleset rear wing

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Vasukhani posted:

this is what we are missing out on by not having 60s rules

People running unsafe cars and bad races won by whoever has the most money?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I don’t think we’ll see the 500 run in August with fans. No sports have run with any kind of crowd that size until now (NASCAR had 5,000 at Talladega), and I know they want a crowd in there but it would be really really irresponsible.

Not sure we’re gonna see crowds of any size until 2021.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oof, that could have been very bad

And it still involved baby Josef tearing a corner off a Skippy.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Rossi definitely got the cartoon anvil this season

I'm too lazy to dig up the tweet but when that "Name your favorite sports moment in a boring way" thing was circling twitter last week, some fan said "Rossi driving 500 miles and running out of fuel" tagging him in, and he corrected them to say "499.5"

good lad, but yikes, hope he doesn't keep feeling the anvil's wrath

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

started watching the Saturday race and it was...ugh, seeing full crowds at a race in the U.S. right now is a Bad Look. Couldn't keep watching.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

Anyone who bitches about an aero screen going forward needs to have a coil over yeeted into their face.

we call that a Massa around these parts

:psyduck: :stare:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Hmmmm. 7&i (the holding group behind 7-11 and based in Japan) is apparently going to spend big on a major IndyCar sponsor...

https://twitter.com/japantimes/status/1290140344537845762

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Certainly not with fans. Probably not at all.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Whaddya think, nice nod or a wee bit presumptuous?

https://twitter.com/maxchilton/status/1292942555882061824

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Fernando the Rocket Rick line doesn’t work anymore, they got rid of the apron, can’t do that.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

There’s a long profile on The Athletic about our favorite (?) One Man Truth Bazooka, Robin Miller.

I didn’t know the below

quote:

...the weekly trek to his doctor’s office, where he sits in a chair for six hours and waits for them to pump blood into him.

His body quit making its own awhile back.

“It’s not the end of the world,” he shrugs.

So he passes most of his days in front of his laptop, grinding away like he always has, a 70-year-old sportswriter fighting two evils at once: bone cancer and deadlines.

gently caress cancer, that is awful.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Vasukhani posted:

thank god the convocation is only 1 minutes

also, it ain't memorial day, please chill with the military fawning

It’s ‘Murica post-9/11, they won’t. Sadly.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Just finished watching the race, couldn’t believe Sato got his second :japan:

I’ll try to find any good clips from Japanese TV or Twitter too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Minto Took posted:

Brave to say Quebec isn't part of Canada. :v:

Sato has two Indy 500 victories, Villeneuve -- the only Canadian winner -- only has one?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

What likely hurts the most for some is “well there’s no time left to do the repair because NBC will be out of TV time, and they moved the start later for TV too...”

Yeah but asking to wait an hour-plus for five laps makes zero sense. If that happened on lap one, sure, but so late in the race...eh.

Robin Miller’s column pointed out the number of races finishing under caution, and fun fact: all three of Franchiti’s wins technically happened under the yellow flag!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

big nipples big life posted:

Don't the trucks race there this weekend?

yep, that would explain it.

also for anyone that is looking for more racing, apparently the RedBull TV website/app will have Super Formula coverage live. Not sure if they'll have on-demand versions too, but it's more speedy open-wheelers that aren't Formula 1 :v:

[edit] vvvvv crucially for me, Red Bull is advertising I can watch it free in Japan, which I can't really do with The Race on YouTube.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 29, 2020

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

shyduck posted:

Singapore street circuit for F1 crosses a fairly short drawbridge. They have to temporarily pave over the joints before race weekends

I think the straight following that section is partially over water too but it’s a bigger road. Anderson Bridge to a hard left and Esplanade.

Also the former F1 Valencia street circuit went over a bridge that had to be prepped too if memory serves.

Now let’s just see how bad the complaints are that the IndyCar is interrupting a bunch of unrelated bachelorette parties that didn’t check the calendar :toot:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wasn't mentioned here but it's Hinchcliffe in the Andretti car now vacated by Veach for the remainder of the season (final three rounds).

Hrm.

It's weird that Veach isn't just bounced but bounced now -- you would've thought the money would have kept him in the seat at least until the end of the season.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

That makes more sense, the official line was that Veach stepped aside to allow them to prepare for next year, which unless they plan to keep Hinch is not what's happened.

yeah, sounds like it's a knife-fight to avoid last in the championship (22 guaranteed money, 23 regular cars). And it also sounds like Hinch is a distinct possibility for next year.

Askew might be that but also sounds like he's had concussion symptoms since the Indy 500 in August? which isn't good.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

WindyMan posted:

Penske owns Indycar

Penske controls Leaders Circle payouts

Penske adds 4th full time car to get Leaders Circle payouts

????

PROFIT

Or as I’ve heard in my company, “left pocket to right pocket.”

Askew hopefully can heal up and get another crack at IndyCar, but wouldn’t be surprised if that opening at AMSP is filled by Helio, Checo if he wants to leave F1, or hell Hulkenberg in that case too. SiPag leaving Penske would cause a much bigger reshuffle though that could also be Helio or JPM coming back in for one year or so (until Penske shrinks back down and gets another sports car program).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

https://racer.com/2020/10/13/rosenqvist-set-for-amsp-switch-in-2021/

Rosenqvist to AMSP in Askew’s seat next year. So what happens with that Ganassi seat? Checo?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

Scotty Mac official for next year, and officially a 4 car operation. Also ending their Supercars "partnership" which iirc was really just a cross branding deal.

https://twitter.com/Team_Penske/status/1319790738679488513

could be Penske as much helping out DJR and keeping the lights on while also providing some sponsor money (Shell is a major partner of the truck rental business apparently, hence the sponsorships for Penske's racing) but yeah with GM pulling the plug on the Holden brand in total in Australia, Supercars is likely to be impacted pretty big going forward.

I think it's been discussed but both Penske and Chip Ganassi are using staff and drivers that otherwise would be in sports cars in IndyCar for these bigger operations, so glad McLaughlin is getting the shot officially and full-time. Hopefully CGR doesn't drop to three cars and picks somebody up for the 10 car fully.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Helio to MSR for six races as a teammate to Jack Harvey.

Do you think that means he’ll also be in Shank’s IMSA program?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

your friend wicka posted:

There was some logic to it because if they don't explore other series the biggest F1 teams are going to have to downsize under the new budget cap.

looking forward to an announcement in June 2021 about a Ferrari car for the Hypercar class in WEC/Le Mans, then.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

They probably figure it would be wise to figure out how to build a competitive F1 engine before they start spreading themselves thin.

they had a competitive engine! It just wasn't legal! :downs:

again they will have resources (people and budget) that will not be allowed to go to Formula 1 in a few years; unless they want to trim headcount, they have to find projects for those people to do. IndyCar looked like a decent shout, but I wasn't convinced that they'd want to be a supplier for multiple teams or run a chassis that everyone has to run as spec. (there's not much collector cachet in a Dallara running a 2.2 turbo V6 with Ferrari cam covers). at a certain point, there might not be enough from an engineering standpoint.

I think they'll make a hypercar for Le Mans, because it fits what they need and how they want to manage their motorsports. They won't have to share the chassis if they go Hypercar, it can be connected to their road products, everything will be balanced, and they can still have something to sell to collectors once they're done running.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

Herta, not Hinch, taking the #26 with Gainbridge sponsorship, who reupped on a multi year deal. #88 is continuing, imagine thats still Hinchs seat to lose.

https://racer.com/2020/12/08/herta-switching-to-andrettis-gainbridge-backed-no-26/

The sponsorship is likely tied to a “Andretti ride,” which the 26 is, regardless of where the shop is located that 88 was a co-owning deal. I would guess that’s where Hinch lands.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

https://twitter.com/ajfoytracing/status/1338891373676781570

Good for the kid I guess but he slow. Guess that means Grosjean passed, lol

Entirely possible Grosjean's taking a break, couldn't blame him at all. Still thinking Grosjean will end up with the Peugeot WEC project though.

in other news Rahal is sending another car to Japan - the chassis Takuma Sato won the 500 in is going to the Honda Museum in basically the same spec it ended the race in. That'll be a nice addition to the Honda Collection Hall, which currently has Buddy Rice's Indy 500 winner and one of the Chip Ganassi CART cars on display. Considering how much they've achieved in the U.S., getting another car or two in there to balance out all the mediocre mid-2000s Formula 1 machines isn't a bad goal.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

The series owns the track and doesn't have to pay itself a sanctioning fee, so its a way to pad the schedule in a season where attendance is likely gonna continue to be a disaster if the races are even run. Like the "Harvest GP" this year.

I think almost all of the teams are based out of Indianapolis too so it's a non-travel event as well if the situation gets that bad.

same sort of idea as IMSA running extra races at Daytona, Sebring and Road America this past year - they own the tracks.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Is Long Beach moving to protect it from potentially being lost (again) to COVID or is this a permanent thing somebody thought was a good idea?

Because it's not a bad idea, I'm just curious as to if it's a one-off.

Street courses take a long time to setup, so moving it to the fall - after Portland and Laguna, saving the trucks an extra trip west - is a bigger guarantee that it gets done than hoping things might be okay in April.

"But St. Pete is right there starting the year!" I hear you say, to which I reply "Florida."

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Frond posted:

You can make a joke about his legs, but I'd rather you not.

I mean wasn't the joke from the medic's book on traveling with CART that Zanardi woke up from the surgeries after his September 2001 wreck, pulled the bed sheet up, looked down, and said "Thank god they left the one in the middle"

it seems like racers make the joke enough themselves

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yep, Mario's brother and John's father Aldo Andretti passed away (I saw Mario tweeting it originally), but also John Paul Jr. passed away after a long battle with disease. He was just as (if not more) famous for racing anything and everything in sports cars (and for his father...) but JPJ was a hell of a hand in open wheel:

quote:

Paul, who died Tuesday night at the age of 60, led a star-crossed life that saw the friendly, gangly kid from Muncie, Ind. jump into sports cars and win instantly before taking his skills to Indy cars, where he passed Rick Mears on the last lap to capture the Michigan 500 in only his fourth start. He drat near beat Mario Andretti at Caesars Palace and stardom was staring him right in the eye.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drat, another loss for a longtime IndyCar name :smith:

https://twitter.com/racermag/status/1346819743269924864

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Croc posted:

God remember when he nearly won the indy 500

remember when grandpa suggested Marco could jump to F1?

think of the alternative world where the third-generation Andretti wins the 500 early in his career and has that to work with and trade on for some time.

hard to say if we'd wind up back here or if he'd actually have the confidence needed to push on as a championship contender more regularly, but what a thought.

I wouldn't be surprised if he winds up driving an Acura something in IMSA some of the time, and the rumors maintain that the IMSA prototype program will continue to LMDh and possibly expand to include WEC. Marco just might be better suited for sports cars, and that's not an indictment of him in IndyCars.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

is that also the car that finished outside of the Leader's Circle money?

wondering if the sponsorship will move over to another car or, without LC, if it's only enough for Indy and a couple other races.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Reynold posted:

yup, lol

as nice as Marco's message was, this ain't rocket science. lines crossing lines, numbers in Excel. sometimes it's just math.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

New team with Simona in collaboration with Penske.

Simona still a factory Porsche driver. Rumors of this IndyCar ride going full-time in 2022.

Penske rumored to partner with Porsche for LMDh.

Is this too :tinfoil: or no?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Probably a big reach but I'm here for it

the Penske rumor for IMSA has been around forever, and I can see Simona being a support/third driver for enduros while also getting an IndyCar ride -- which itself is the equivalent of what Meyer Shank has been doing but connected loosely to Penske, that can't be a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Frond posted:

The only non-sponsor related thing I can think of is cross border travel is extremely restricted here (I'm in Toronto) right now. Is Hinch Stateside?

Pretty sure he lives full time in Indy, as most of the guys do.