Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I like how they pointed out that they are using a deterministic interpretation of quantum mechanics. I was afraid that the writers were just using "quantum computing" as generic technobabble, but they have put some real thought into it.

I am curious to see where they are going with all this, because as far as I can tell there is basically only two ways the story can end:

1) The world truly is deterministic, which means the Amaya CEO knew everything right from the start.
At the end, he goes "I knew that would happen all along *yawn*". Credits.
2) It turns out that determinism can be broken by The Power of the Human Spirit. At the last moment, the main character does something unexpected, saving the day.
Amaya CEO drops to his knees, going "NO! IT'S IMPOSSIBLE!".
Main characters smirks: "You thought the universe was controlled by natural laws, but you forgot to account for a little thing called FREE WILL!"
She pushes a button, and the Devs building explodes into a giant fireball.

1) is boring and 2) is sappy and cliché. I have faith in Alex Garland to come up with something better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Ok, let's see if I've got this right. Lyndon was able to get a clear signal on the past because he allowed the quantum computer to simulate a many-worlds universe? Meaning that, the computer's output was the conglomeration of different realities that each produced enough data to form a complete soundwave with a clear voice. Whereas the single universe model that Forest demands is fuzzy, because there's too much variation, too many possibilities for divergence, that results in not enough data to form a complete picture?

If that scene was a reference to a model from quantum physics, it might be lost on me. I get what shroedinger's cat is all about and that's about it.

The impression I got was that Lyndon simply picked a close universe, somehow, and displayed the contents of that. This results in a clear picture because all the possible outcomes can be calculated precisely. The fuzzy part is figuring out which outcome will happen in our universe.

However, this pisses off Forest because Lyndon has basically given up on trying to model our universe, which was the whole point. Instead of a fuzzy picture of our Jesus, you get a clear picture of a possible Jesus, whose resemblance to ours is just as fuzzy. The only way of knowing how close you got is by comparing possible Jesus to our existing knowledge of Jesus, so you aren't really learning anything new.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Mar 23, 2020

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Why can't the possible outcomes be calculated precisely for "our" universe then?

Because you don't know which one is the right one. You can visualize possible outcomes with as much detail as you like, but figuring out which outcome is the actual one in this universe is where all the fuzziness and uncertainty comes in.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

I still don't fully understand what Forest's end goal is. Regardless of him seeing some event in the future that has turned him totally nihilistic, his main thing seems to be that he thinks the machine will bring his daughter back, but best case scenario he's just watching her on a TV. I could see a man doing what he has done if he can ultimately bring her back, but not if it basically just amounts to atching home movies.

He even watches the exact same clip of her blowing bubbles all the time. I imagine him being told about her death and going "Dammit, I forgot to record her adorable bubble blowing!".

He clearly doesn't want to see an alternate future where she is still alive, so I don't really get it either.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I like how Katie was seeing multiple outcomes superimposed because she is running the many-worlds version of the algorithm.
This also means that we can't really be sure whether any of the stuff she saw is what actually happened.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

so the Everett model is the multiverse model or it's deterministic? It was kind of described as being both

Yes.

The Everett model is deterministic in the sense that ALL futures are determined to happen, just in different worlds. We can calculate exactly what will happen in the future because it is every option at the same time.

This still doesn't allow us to predict a specific future, of course, which is why Forest finds it unsatisfying.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mover posted:

shaking that Forrest did my boy Philip Larkin dirty like that. shakespeare my rear end

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/48422/aubade-56d229a6e2f07

It is this poem, in case anyone else is curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Field Mousepad posted:

Knowing what happens in the future makes you really boring and indifferent apparently

Of course, if you know that you are going to act really bored and indifferent in the future, then you have no choice but to do that!