Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Is anyone watching the Hulu miniseries Devs, created by Alex Garland (Ex Machina, Annihilation) and starring Sonoya Mizuno as a San Francisco techbro and Nick Offerman as a San Francisco techbro? Here's an article about it.

Sonoya plays Lily Chan, a programmer who works at Amaya, a tech company run by Offerman's character Forest. Various things occur. We're 2 episodes into the 8 episode run right now and the main theme seems to be centered around free will and determinism. There's also a lot of stuff about loss, loneliness, and isolation. And... Russians...

I don't know if I like it yet, but now that The Good Place is over I need something to fill the "TV about philosophy" hole in my heart so I'm going to keep watching. So far the show hasn't really delved deeply into the themes but I think it's safe to say that stuff will come sooner or later. There are some rather pretty shots and some great use of music to set the mood. Stephen McKinley Henderson plays a cantakerous older techbro and that is fun.

Already the show seems to deeply misunderstand compatibilism, which means it would fail an intro to philosophy course about free will, but I might not be giving it enough credit, since after all it has just been characters talking, and it's not clear whether we're meant to think they have any understanding of what is going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

large_gourd posted:

i'm kinda taking a glance from a distance at this and waiting to see if other people say it's good. the trailer both piqued my interest and made it seem likely that it's a bunch of bullshit with its 'what is behind the mystery door' 'EVERYTHING' talk, because that usually turns out to be a bunch of crap especially when they lead with that and i didn't really pick up on anything else going on, but it's just a trailer.
As Tiggum points out, we already basically know what's behind the mystery door. It's not like there's zero mystery left in the show, but it's not exactly saving everything for episode 8 or whatever.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

muscles like this! posted:

Episode 3 chat:

Kind of funny, I thought that the scene where the security guy turns around and sees Lilly on the ledge was a plot hole because how could her friend miss her walking past the window?
Haha yes I thought the same thing. In fact the plan was probably for her friend to "notice" her at some point if nobody walked along below, I bet.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
poo poo's getting real!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
If you like Garland I suggest Ex Machina - it's definitely of a piece with his other stuff. I like it a lot. Great Oscar Isaac performance, plus the Devs lead is in it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Meshka posted:

The people living in the machine in the end are not real, just really advanced ai entities that are indistinguishable from the people they are suppose to represent.
This is a substantive philosophical view: that is, if you say "an AI entity that is indistinguishable from a person is not a person," you are making a claim which some philosophers would agree with and others would disagree with. There are significant arguments about this point back and forth.

From the point of view of the show I think it is clear you are wrong: in the world as depicted in the show, AI entities are real people, because they have everything that matters about real people. They have all the same thoughts and memories and feelings and so on.

You could disagree with the show and say that, in our actual reality (unlike the reality in which the show takes place) these people would just be simulations, not actual people. Obviously the show doesn't have to be correct: it's just what some guy thinks about philosophy. But you should think very clearly about what you are doing when you say this. When you say this, you are advancing a substantive philosophical view which is far from obvious. (In fact, the majority of philosophers would probably disagree, although it's not a huge majority.)

If you're interested in the topic, the idea that the people are real would follow from endorsing what is known in philosophy as functionalism about the mind, plus accepting that the AI entities are in fact indistinguishable from real people. You are here rejecting functionalism, and saying you think some other theory of the mind is correct (because you are accepting that the AI entities are in fact indistinguishable).