Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
show's good. sonoya mizuno was the best part of maniac, so i'm excited to see what she does in this.

i'm getting the sense that nick offerman is trying to create a 'golden path', a la dune. devs' thesis on determinism seems to be that if you forecast backwards to unpack and analyse all the various causes of past events, you can create a model that predicts future ones. which is of course wrong, but it's a fun idea so whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
love that alex garland sound design

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
this show is so beautiful

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
lily is going to prove the relational interpretation correct :colbert:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Strange Matter posted:

EDIT: I also don't believe there's anything inherently special about Lily, she's just outside the closed system that Forrest has constructed around the Devs machine.

yeah, i think it's this. throughout the series, lily is presented with fait accompli decisions and rejects them ("gently caress you"), while devs is full of tech freaks who get fired if they challenge a specific type of determinism.

i feel like the machine breaking is some kind of double-slit metaphor. like the devs team is using one method to observe its output, which collapses when a different method is used. idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
i think it's a mistake to see the machine as a mirror – it's a window to a simulated past and a bunch of possible futures. we also see that its projections aren't foolproof in an earlier episode, when it rewinds to show the mouse coming back to life on the table.

windows are kind of used in unexpected ways throughout the series – as devices for the protagonists to get what they want in particular. lily puts a message up to tell the g.r.u. guy to gently caress off; she distracts kenton in his office; she breaks into jamie's apartment; jamie breaks her out of hospital; she distracts kenton again after he kills jamie. it feels like an intentional motif, idk: the tech guys are voyeurs who aren't willing/able to challenge what they're seeing, while lily busts on through.