Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

The first two episodes are fantastic. First time in a long time I've actually been surprised by a movie or TV show. Great cinematography. I love Garland's languid style, which lingers without being over the top like Refn.

It's definitely the kind of show that could devolve into a confusing mess of nonsense by the end and I'm really hoping that doesn't happen. But since it's Alex Garland and not Alex Kurtzman or JJ Abrams, maybe it won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Ok, let's see if I've got this right. Lyndon was able to get a clear signal on the past because he allowed the quantum computer to simulate a many-worlds universe? Meaning that, the computer's output was the conglomeration of different realities that each produced enough data to form a complete soundwave with a clear voice. Whereas the single universe model that Forest demands is fuzzy, because there's too much variation, too many possibilities for divergence, that results in not enough data to form a complete picture?

If that scene was a reference to a model from quantum physics, it might be lost on me. I get what shroedinger's cat is all about and that's about it.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

SimonChris posted:

The impression I got was that Lyndon simply picked a close universe, somehow, and displayed the contents of that. This results in a clear picture because all the possible outcomes can be calculated precisely. The fuzzy part is figuring out which outcome will happen in our universe.

However, this pisses off Forest because Lyndon has basically given up on trying to model our universe, which was the whole point. Instead of a fuzzy picture of our Jesus, you get a clear picture of a possible Jesus, whose resemblance to ours is just as fuzzy. The only way of knowing how close you got is by comparing possible Jesus to our existing knowledge of Jesus, so you aren't really learning anything new.

Why can't the possible outcomes be calculated precisely for "our" universe then?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

so the Everett model is the multiverse model or it's deterministic? It was kind of described as being both

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

priznat posted:

I didn't even recognize her for the first couple of times she was onscreen, I know her best from Scott Pilgrim. Her stare is gd unsettling at times.

She has to be at least partially inspired by Elizabeth Holmes. Those dead eyes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

So Lyndon took his chances with the idea his "conciousness" will wake up somewhere in which he didn't fall?

Also, what is Kenton's motivation at attacking Lily and Jamie? It's not like he's being told to by Forest anymore. I guess he could be and we don't know. But if not, he just saw them talking to Forest and leaving, making it look like he's ok with them.