Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Open Source Idiom posted:

He was the main villain in the most recent Torchwood season??

He'll can occasionally be talked into it, but when you look at the majority of his BF output, he's not the bad guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Davros1 posted:

He'll can occasionally be talked into it, but when you look at the majority of his BF output, he's not the bad guy.

His sole Who tv appearance, he resolutely wasn’t evil.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

His sole Who tv appearance, he resolutely wasn’t evil.

He definitely was, however, hungry like the wolf.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

He was the only bit of that episode I liked, but I liked him well enough to watch that episode more than once.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I need the 11th doctor seasons blue rays to get cheaper, and 12's. I'm still missing seasons 7, 8, and 10 :ohdear: also, annoyingly, I'm missing the first disk for season 5. Don't know how I'll replace that :(

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

The_Doctor posted:

He’s also an alternate universe Doctor, so it cancels out.

His debut story, Sympathy for the Devil (which also has Mark Gatiss/Sam Kisgart as the Unbound Master's first appearance - not to mention The loving BRIGADIER as a burn out retired UNIT officer due to The Doctor's exile ending him up in 97 instead, so he never got to work with UNIT and Tennant as a current UNIT officer - god that thing was star studded) is one of my favorites, rivaled only by Truant from the Unbound Universe stories with Bernice.

He truly is a treasure and rapidly made the Unbound Universe one of my most looked forward to releases.

Edit: Ok, I lied. This is now my new most looked forward to release. The mad bastards finally did it - The 8 Masters

McGann fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 12, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I wrote for him as part of the Benny audio competition last year (didn’t win, obvs), but writing his Doctor and hearing his voice saying my lines in my head was a delight.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

What are we talking about the other day? Story approval? BF just announced one of December's monthly range episodes, "Plight of the Pimpernel", where the Sixth Doctor meets the Scarlet Pimpernel, in a story that was suggested by Colin himself!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Davros1 posted:

And of course, there's the famous Tom story of meeting with Nick Briggs and David Richardson to talk about ideas for series 1 and 2 of the Fourth Doctor adventures. Tom had a legal pad full of story ideas that he read off of, and later, when Tom was out of the room, Nick took a peek at it to make sure he hadn't missed anything. The pad was blank.

Oh my God :allears:

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Christopher Ecclestone is doing Big Finish!!!!

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?article=christopher-eccleston-big-finish

Never thought I'd see the day!!!

Holy poo poo, I kept reading this waiting for the qualifier or the letdown, but nope... he's loving doing it! :hellyeah:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m up to the 11/Clara era in my rewatch and I really think 11’s speckled blurple jacket and waistcoat look might be my all-time favorite Doctor outfit. It’s the perfect mix of Edwardian professor and mad adventurer. I also think my previous opinion of Clara has been unfairly biased by her last season because she’s just great in this first season.

The intro for this season is just visually perfect too, it’s the best of the Moffat years.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HQbYgj7ZBVI

Put the Doctor’s face back in the intro Chibnall, you coward :argh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

11's season 5 outfit was my favorite, I'd have been happy if they just stuck with that.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jerusalem posted:

11's season 5 outfit was my favorite, I'd have been happy if they just stuck with that.

100%. It looks more natural - his latter ones are too...I dunno, 'costume-y'. Too designed. Same with his hair, which gets more slick and stylised.

Relatedly, his acting starts to become more mannered after season 5. He's still wonderful at what he does, but there's a rawness to his first season that really works for me, and makes the whole season feel really special.

EDIT

like, he elevated all the material he was given and was great through and through, but he never topped this scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BUumw7f8EQ

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 16, 2020

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The later portion of 11 has a comic book aesthetic which I don't much like.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

CommonShore posted:

The later portion of 11 has a comic book aesthetic which I don't much like.

That's an interesting way to put it - can you expand on that?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I think it fits 11 fairly well. As he grows and matures as a character so does his wardrobe. 11 was always a madman, but post-Amy he’s a lot more subdued and calculating. It reminds me of 7 going from that tan outfit with the constant juggling clown bits to his darker brown look toward the end.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think it fits 11 fairly well. As he grows and matures as a character so does his wardrobe. 11 was always a madman, but post-Amy he’s a lot more subdued and calculating. It reminds me of 7 going from that tan outfit with the constant juggling clown bits to his darker brown look toward the end.

Yeah that's actually a pretty good read.

I guess it's just personal preference that I prefer his first season, then - it was such a breath of fresh air after the final mopey Tennant episodes. Now that I think about it, it was probably the only season of the revival where he wasn't a) being sad about something that happened in a previous season or b) facing death (Moffat went back to this well over and over). Just the Doctor at his most Doctor-y

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 17, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah that's actually a pretty good read.

I guess it's just personal preference that I prefer his first season, then - it was such a breath of fresh air after the final mopey Tennant episodes. Now that I think about it, it was probably the only season of the revival where he wasn't a) being sad about something that happened in a previous season or b) facing death (Moffat went back to this well over and over). Just the Doctor at his most Doctor-y

That’s partly why I love 11 so much; even after Amy and Rory age themselves to death he’s still not moping about for half a season. 11 is a very optimistic kind of “chin up” Doctor. He matures over the seasons but he never really gets jaded or dour.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That’s partly why I love 11 so much; even after Amy and Rory age themselves to death he’s still not moping about for half a season. 11 is a very optimistic kind of “chin up” Doctor. He matures over the seasons but he never really gets jaded or dour.

Yeah, absolutely. I think he's kind of the ultimate expression of the Doctor, really - he's like the archetypal version, at least for the revival. I didn't like the 'last regeneration' storyline when it was happening but it felt right that 11 was his last life. He's optimistic, goofy but with gravitas, young but really sells how incredibly old he is, etc.

It also helps that 11 is a loving wizard, who makes 10 look like a chump and gives 7 a run for his money

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Doesn't he do most of his moping off screen? He's definitely begins The Snowmen and The Bells of St John after an extended period of moping.

If anything, they imply he does more moping than, say, Tennant.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Every Doctor has been great, but the Eleventh Doctor is the prototypical Doctor for the current era. Just so much going on, it’s hard to pinpoint where he’d go to next.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Doesn't he do most of his moping off screen? He's definitely begins The Snowmen and The Bells of St John after an extended period of moping.

If anything, they imply he does more moping than, say, Tennant.

Maybe, but that’s a bit different from 10 constantly moping on-screen, bringing up Rose all the time around Martha and throwing a tantrum post-Waters of Mars. You also get the sense that when 11 does it it’s more like he’s quietly mourning his friends than 10’s loudly raging at the unfair universe.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Dude literally locks himself away and refuses to help anyone unless they magically guess the riddle to get past his friends. It's not a competition, it's just lovely either way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

It also helps that 11 is a loving wizard, who makes 10 look like a chump

I still laugh when I think about River watching 11 Major Kong a Dalek prison cube into an exploding TARDIS to reset the universe, and then how she eventually runs into 10 who ties pieces of chicken to a string and tosses it under a chair and expects her to be impressed :allears:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I like Ten, but mopey is definitely a descriptor for his run. He goes from manically yelling about bananas to staring into the camera with wet eyes and doing the whole "I'm the last of the Time Lord, Rose. There's no one left, they all burned" thing all the time.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

I like Ten, but mopey is definitely a descriptor for his run. He goes from manically yelling about bananas to staring into the camera with wet eyes and doing the whole "I'm the last of the Time Lord, Rose. There's no one left, they all burned" thing all the time.

Ten is loving nuts. He's flat out BPD.

Jerusalem posted:

I still laugh when I think about River watching 11 Major Kong a Dalek prison cube into an exploding TARDIS to reset the universe, and then how she eventually runs into 10 who ties pieces of chicken to a string and tosses it under a chair and expects her to be impressed :allears:

I was thinking of exactly that - I knew that was a favourite example, haha

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm finally sitting down to binge through everything post Spyfall. I'm spoiled on the Jack Harkness cameo and the whole turns out the Doctor is a super special super-alien things, but otherwise know nothing. What sort of time am I in for, generally speaking?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

jivjov posted:

I'm finally sitting down to binge through everything post Spyfall. I'm spoiled on the Jack Harkness cameo and the whole turns out the Doctor is a super special super-alien things, but otherwise know nothing. What sort of time am I in for, generally speaking?

It's a more interesting season than the previous one. A bunch of stories feel like they needed another draft or two though.

Best bits are pretty decent though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I feel like a lot of the writing for 13th episodes were assuming a 60 minute runtime and then had to be chopped down to ~45. The inciting incident for Orphan 55 just seemed whiplash inducingly fast. The "coupons" into the teleport into the Hopper virus thing felt like 20 minutes of story crammed into about 4

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Barry Foster posted:

That's an interesting way to put it - can you expand on that?

Maybe from the second half of the Amy-Rory saga featuring River Song and all of the sidekicks, and it's hard for me to put my finger on exactly why I feel this, but everything around/after the Pandoricon and any of the stories that have the "and the doctor" narration just feel that way to me. I suppose even The Name of the Doctor has this too. The plots feel like comic booky romance adventures, many of the episodes have lots of rich colour design, and the tendency for "the whole gang" to show up (A Good Man Goes to War) goes that way as well. The way scenes unfold often has this vibe.

I'm zoned out and tired right now so I'm not sure which examples I'm forgetting and/or imagining.

This feeling is most pronounced in Moffat tentpost episodes, but it's there in Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, too.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
11 is also extremely mopey and upset in the Day of the Doctor, which is hilarious considering he is bouncing of 10, who just seems more fun and lighthearted and The War Doctor who is meant to be the manifestation of MOPEY Doctor, and even he seems to be having more fun.

I dunno if that was a product of them trying to set up the final episode for 11 or what.

I just re-watched Day of the Doctor so it's fresh in my mind. I forgot how enjoyable the Tennant stuff was in it. Much prefer that 10th Doctor to "I AM THE WINNER OF ALL TIME" nonsense.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It also provides a neat little "explanation" (if you think it needs one) of why he's in such a good mood when he shows up at the beginning of The End of Time despite being terrified/freaked out at the end of Waters of Mars. He doesn't QUITE know why he's in such a good mood because the memory has already faded, but he just feels happy for some reason :3:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I assume that's what James Goss's Time Lord Victorious is going to cover. Tennant in full villain mode sounds like a lot of fun.

(I'm super super excited for this, btw. Since it's, you know, James Goss).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I assume that's what James Goss's Time Lord Victorious is going to cover. Tennant in full villain mode sounds like a lot of fun.

(I'm super super excited for this, btw. Since it's, you know, James Goss).

I saw a lot of new posts and assumed we’d lost a Doctor. :ohdear:

For some reason I assumed the TLV stuff was an alternate timeline rather than filling a gap.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

jivjov posted:

What sort of time am I in for, generally speaking?

I thought it was pretty much the same as the previous series. If you liked series 11 fine you'll probably like series 12. Personally I thought they were both mostly rubbish, with series 12 being very slightly worse.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

For some reason I assumed the TLV stuff was an alternate timeline rather than filling a gap.

Nah. Big Finish is no longer licensed to introduce new alternative universe Doctors. The Kisgart Master and Warner Doctor are the only ones they really have any more.

I suspect the Warner Doctor is going to be looked back on as one of those weird, floaty offshoots that hung around for a while but basically vanished. (I don't think they're even allowed to regenerate him).

But they're fantastic, and James Goss also produced them. He runs the Torchwood range too, and generally does a fantastic job all over the place.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Jerusalem posted:

It also provides a neat little "explanation" (if you think it needs one) of why he's in such a good mood when he shows up at the beginning of The End of Time despite being terrified/freaked out at the end of Waters of Mars. He doesn't QUITE know why he's in such a good mood because the memory has already faded, but he just feels happy for some reason :3:

I had never put that together that him mentioning marrying Good Queen Bess was his adventure that lead into the special. Clever call back.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm pleased that Day Of The Doctor didn't contrive a reason to put a lei on him at the end.

Thinking about it, it's pretty funny the kinds of semi-sensible chronological orders you can wrangle the show into:

Waters Of Mars(2009) > Day Of The Doctor(2013) > The End Of Time (2009) (partially set BEFORE Day Of The Doctor) > World Enough And Time/The Doctor Falls(2017) (next Master episode from his perspective) > Deep Breath(2014) (next Master episode from her perspective) etc :2bong:

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

2house2fly posted:

I'm pleased that Day Of The Doctor didn't contrive a reason to put a lei on him at the end.

Thinking about it, it's pretty funny the kinds of semi-sensible chronological orders you can wrangle the show into:

Waters Of Mars(2009) > Day Of The Doctor(2013) > The End Of Time (2009) (partially set BEFORE Day Of The Doctor) > World Enough And Time/The Doctor Falls(2017) (next Master episode from his perspective) > Deep Breath(2014) (next Master episode from her perspective) etc :2bong:

They're saving that up for the end of Time Lord Victorius

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I think I prefer 70s Who to 2005. I watch on and off but it's just a bunch of people screaming, loud noises, and one liners. "Hands? Who needs hands, when you got CLAWS." I mean it's good but the subtle ambience of low budget nick at night style tv is I think more soothing. I even liked the first doctor quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

70s Doctor Who is very much of its time but also very extremely tremendous, and I think that is a good thing for the show to be :hai: