Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Remember that time when we thought Doctor Ruth was something to do with 6b and not the Morbius Doctors?

Yep, those were some good times. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It's why I say that elevated fanboys shouldn't be running the show. Back in the day, working on DW was just another gig for the producers, script editors, and writers. As the show went on it was at times considered a very prestigious gig, but it was still just another job. With perhaps the exception of the Cartmel era (which was tempered by JNT reining in their more excessive ideas about the Doctor's history), the bulk of the people that worked on DW during the show's original run were not fanboys, they were just people working a job.

Nowadays, things are very different at the Beeb, and the showrunners on DW (and several other shows, I'm sure) thus far have all been elevated fanboys with apparently more ideas than sense. And since they're in charge of everything about the show, and there's nobody to talk them out of pursuing some particularly dumb flights of fancy (or in this case, telling them that actually putting their personal DW fanfic on screen is a very bad idea)...well, the results are pretty evident.

You keep saying this, and I know you don't like Moffat, but do you not even like RTD? Cause he was as fanboy as they come. Thay would mean you don't like any DW since '89 or maybe '96, at which point you're really looking for them to do a totally different show than they've done the past 15 years.

As I see it the track record is:

1) RTD: great, brought the show back, gave us Tennant and worldwide mainstream popularity, could get a little twee
2) Moffat: continued the popular run, gave us Smith, nailed the 50th, had a tendency to go up his own rear end and was obsessed with ticking boxes of his fan plans
3) Chibnall: :barf:

I agree with you 100% on the reasons you give as to why the Timeless Child reveal sucks for the character, and this:

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I think we can safely say now that Chibnall was Always Bad, and that whatever show he worked on that everyone loved (Broadchurch) was the exception that proved the rule.

The casting is definitely not the problem. Jodie is not being served by the writing. She has flashes of brilliance but it's like those first episodes of a new Doctor where everything is rough and the actor and the writers are trying to figure it out and then it's iconic: this is 2 seasons of first 2-3 episodes.

Graham is great. The idea of an older companion is great. Having a practical down to earth companion is great. His emotional arc and relationship with Ryan is great. Yaz has shown that she could have been amazing, and in a single companion role she would be brilliant. This season has shown definitively that more than 3 in the TARDIS is bad despite what I always thought and if I wax nostalgic about Ben/Polly/Jamie or Tegan/Nyssa/Turlough ever again feel free to beat me over the head with a bag of the Fam action figures.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Yannick_B posted:

Andrew Ellard, a working script-editor usually does pretty good "tweet-notes" where he tackles scripts (from Who and other nerd stuff) from his professional pov "rewrites"
Bad Wolf/Parting Of The Ways in the Chris Chibnall style. It's...harsh

https://twitter.com/ellardent/status/1238488092199264256

Harsh...
https://twitter.com/ellardent/status/1238490471296569344?s=20

...but fair.

I mean, :drat:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Dabir posted:

First the Doctor was a character on TV, then the Doctor was a character on TV. Huge change. :rolleyes:

23/11/1963 – Doctor Who begins. Doctor Who dies.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Narsham posted:

They don't. You do; this thread does; that satisfies what you want and you look no further.

Verity is my favorite Doctor Who podcast but they're not the only ones delighted by this change to the canon and completely unconcerned about the Doctor supposedly now being some sort of unique chosen one.

While I hate the changes, you do have a point. For example I and most of this thread hated the Rose/10 stuff, but for the vast majority of fandom that was their favorite era, Rose is their favorite companion, and 10 is their favorite Doctor. They gladly ship Rose and 10 1/2 living in Pete's World. So just because we and a lot of the grognards on youtube hate it, doesn't mean it won't be accepted.

Narsham posted:

"WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THE MAGIC OF DOCTOR WHO?"

30/10/1976 – The Time Lords are depicted as doddery old men. Doctor Who dies.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also her TARDIS interior was fantastic.

Best time rotor EVER

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I really wish BF would recast Delgado (and Ainley for that matter) for some multi Master stories in the UNIT era.

poo poo, what you could do with 12, Captain Jack, 3, Delgado, and Diwan all running around at the same time! :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Hopefully Jodie posting that will start a flurry of previous Doctors doing Self Isolation/Corona messages in character, or in the case of Tom and Sylvester, as their everyday selves.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I didn’t realize Rodan (the Time Lord) was someone from The Invasion of Time until after I’d already imagined The Doctor officiating the wedding of Mothra and Rodan (the giant monster) during a lull in the Time War.

Ir's the Time War so this probably also happened.

I had a great dream last night. I dreamed I was watching some special Doctor Who, maybe it was the 60th. Six pops up on the screen, a perfect, and I mean perfect CGI version of 1985 Colin Baker voiced by Colin. Not fake looking, no uncanny valley. Then we get a scene with 1996 McGann, voiced by McGann.

The plot was some sort of time mishmash where the Doctor's timeline was jumbled and different companions were travelling together, sometimes with different Doctors. Captain Jack and a 20 something Peri, voiced by Nicola Bryant (and yes Jack was absolutely flirting with her).

We are getting close to this being possible IRL, and it's exciting!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The good thing is if you've seen enough Troughton you can see those expressions in your head when someone like Frazier channels him in Big Finish.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

4, 6, 9.

The second half of 3 has some of the best episodes and greatest moments of the show, particularly the last 2 episodes, but the first half season is too weak and it takes too long for Martha to hit her stride. 4 though, has such a solid run of classic episodes where even the weakest are really good. Donna remains one of, if not the best new series companion. She has fantastic interactions with 10 and a different dynamic, breaking the moonstruck companion in love cycle, and her arc is great and tragic. The return of Davros at the end is probably the second best return of a classic character besides the Master, with Rassilon (as played by Dalton) being a close 3rd.

It was tough choosing between 5 and 6. 5 has such a good run of consistent episodes with the Ponds, though they had some greater moments in 6. On the other hand, the series got so wrapped up in Moffat's worst tendencies for convoluted arcs, tricks, and epic moments moving into twee. 7 would have been a good pick because you get 5 great Pondisodes and then Clara, but Clara and Eleven is just no contest when compared to Clara and Twelve.

8 and 9 was also a difficult choice. 8 has a solid run of great episodes much like 4, but with 9 they balance classically great episodes with a Moffat Mystery Arc which is more subdued than 6 and sticks the landing. And Heaven Sent is one of the best episodes of the series hands down.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

I have the complete opposite take. Clara and 11 never really seemed to gel for me until Day of the Doctor at which point their run together was almost at it's end, though I largely blame the decision to keep the Ponds (much as I love them) around for an extra half season for why Clara and 11 didn't really get a chance to find their stride. 12 and Clara, however, I absolutely loved. Their relationship running from it's breakdown to the glorious moment in Mummy on the Orient Express where she sees the Doctor really is absolutely 100% still THE Doctor tells a really good story, and then from there they just seemed to gel perfectly. Though the Danny Pink stuff was hit and miss, I did love her arc of becoming a bit too enamored with the lifestyle and so wrapped up on wanting to be like her own idealized version of the Doctor that she started putting herself into terrible danger. Plus it leads into Heaven Sent where she permeates every second of the episode despite largely not being in it.

I think of Clara/11 a bit like 3/Sarah Jane. Yeah they traveled together and liked each other, but it wasn't until 4/Sarah Jane that the relationship really deepened into something special.

Naw, you misread me a bit. I fully agree, Clara/12 is superior to Clara/11. For the reasons you give, and also because with 12 she became a much more fleshed out character than The Impossible Girl/Perfect Companion Cipher she was with 11.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Chibnall plays a long game, indeed.

Also, I will always give credit where its due for "He'd get dizzy if he tried to walk in a straight line."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

No Morbius Doctors or Michael Jayston, so I won't consider it canon. :colbert:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Davros1 posted:

Eight will most likely get a full cast audio, maybe Ten. If Nine gets an audio, it'll be an "enhanced" audiobook, like the intermittent BBC Audios that are being done now. As much as I'd love it, I don't see Eccleston doing it.

I mean, if you're doing 8-10, covering Time War adjacent poo poo, and you already have one Doctor that won't voice the part, why not throw War into some of the non-audio stories too? Seems like there's a big War Doctor shaped hole in all this.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Maybe The Timeless Child is The Other.

:aaaaa:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

For all his ego, he’s very self-aware and self-deprecating.

His scene in The Five-ish Doctors with the action figures... :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Homora Gaykemi posted:

If you're still after suggestions for later, The Space Museum has a lot that makes me smile but I know it's not really a popular serial.

I read the Target novel first which is pretty good, and I envisioned it with a much higher budget, so it's always been a favorite of mine,

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Well, everything makes sense if you consider that Chibnall has umpteenth Doctors out there now. ANYONE CAN BE THE DOCTOR!

Dr. Moon is the 45th Doctor AND he's pre-Hartnell!

:boom:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Chokes McGee posted:

I could listen to entire running series of 11 and 12 yelling at each other. :allears:

The fun thing is I can't even decide which of them would try to avoid death/regeneration more--11 who thinks he can't, or 12 who "didn't want to go" more than 10!

I tend to avoid the "Doctor as read by a rando" releases but I may have to do this one.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Davros1 posted:

First look at the books from the "Time Lord Victorious" crossover.

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?article=first-time-lord-victorious-stories

Those look great. Looking forward to Tennant playing it in audio, because he can be chilling when he goes Dark!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Very well done. I seem to recall someone doing this before, but this version is better.

We're probably 10 years out from fan made deepfake or just AI algorithm full "live action" Big Finish recreations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Okay, I know this is old, but Elizabeth Sandifer losing her poo poo at The Timeless Children made me laugh: http://www.eruditorumpress.com/blog/the-timeless-child-review/

As someone who agrees that the retcon was a bad idea... pretty sure the show will survive it, eh.

I dunno, I find myself in agreement with her for the first time since she relegated Big Finish as "Wilderness Years" apocrypha that ended when the True Doctor Who of RTD began.

I mean,

quote:

It’s as if the Cartmel Masterplan hosed the Leekley Bible and then gave the illegitimate child away to Ian Levine to foster.

:drat:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Chokes McGee posted:

I mean I know we have literally every opinion on display in here but yikes.

Yeah, she wrote such fantastic, in depth analysis of every episode of the classic series, then gave serious consideration to the books, comics, and audios that kept it alive for over 15 years. But as soon as she got to 2005, it was like nothing was "Real Doctor Who" except the new show.

Clearly it was a narration she was trying to create, that everything before had led up to the moment when RTD brought it back, and that this new series was the culmination of that past and moved beyond it all to something greater.

Problem is this theory holds no water when you see that post 2005 Big Finish continues to get better, advances the shared universe, is creatively on fire, and is part of the new show with post 2005 stories, actors, and characters. Not to mention it was literally canonized on screen. Saying Big Finish is just apocryphal glorified fan fiction is like saying none of the Christmas Specials or other specials count.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I wonder if his cat will show up? :haw:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

14 Captain Jacks.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Reaction when his son in law sees this:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Fourteen Doctors :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

4/10 sounds like a really fun combo, especially if they both lean into their MANIC side.

On the other hand, from the description it sounds like they are going to look at 10's fear of impending regeneration with our post "Time of the Doctor" knowledge that he had only one more regeneration left. This is interesting because RTD never wrote him that way, but now they can explore that and Tennant can play him that way. Bonus points if they acknowledge that he has to fear that he might be regenerating into The Brickyard Backyard Knacker's Yard Any Other Type of Yard Valeyard.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

A crime that this season also committed; erasing the 8/Mary Shelley BF stories.

:agreed:

Also still holding out hope that Chibnall takes the hiatus to retcon away the Timeless Child.

CobiWann posted:

Speaking of Big Finish...Rory!

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/brand-new-doctor-who-spin-off

I loved Arthur Darvill on Legends of Tomorrow, I loved Big Finish's version of Frankenstein with him as Victor, and I'm excited for this.

This will be very good. 2000 years of history to go through, all the way to Hitler (he's rubbish).

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"Wow, so Matt Smith really doesn't keep one of his costumes at home?"

"Yep, that's what I heard."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Chokes McGee posted:

That's fair. In the sense of "will keep all the bandaids from coming off at once and Pet Island from dropping into the sea unexpectedly" then yeah, I could see it.

Sorry, we had to jettison the swimming pool.

Chokes McGee posted:

Going from "She's my carer, she cares for me" to "BECAUSE IT'S KIND!! :byodood:" is a loving journey and worth every step.

Capaldi's arc is what CBakes would have been in a just world where he'd had a couple more seasons and Trial never happened.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

:same: I’d had enough Clara for a while, and would have been much more happy with more Bill.

And Nardole!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I know the characters aren’t really similar at all, but 12 & Bill really gave me 7 & Ace vibes for some reason.

Totally!

It's a good dynamic for Capaldi to have. It really should have been his arc earlier. We should have had one less Clara season and one more Bill.

(Who am I kidding though; we'll have 20 seasons of each with Big Finish anyway!)

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Yeah, those are some really beautiful, detailed practical sets. Amazing that they still build that stuff for one offs.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

It is hard to write off companions. Killing them all seems pretty unnecessarily grim, but the old show's method of them just kind of deciding to stay wherever the Doctor happened to land when the actor was done rarely worked. Moffat doing the whole "they died, but also, they lived a full happy life" for every companion was mostly only annoying because it happened to all of them (and the first time Rory and Amy had already been given a good ending). It's not an easy problem to solve, and Clara is one of the few times it feels like it worked, up there with Mickey, Barbara and Susan, Polly and Ben, and Adric.

Part of the problem is that the Doctor completely controls the TARDIS now, and RTD and Moffat went all in into the "you can always call home or pop in for dinner or just go on adventures on weekends while having a 9-5 job."

There is almost no reason for them ever to leave unless they died or were trapped like Nardole (and really, 13 could have gone back for him anytime).

The only solution would be to have the Doctor forget how to fly the TARDIS or be unable to control it for some reason, or have a companion foisted on with some arc or personal reason like Lucie Bleedin' Miller or Molly with 8. On the other hand, the Special Companion can become something tiresome like Impossible Girl Clara, who really improved when she became Just Clara.

Also nthing the thanks to Echoplex for the fantastic work. 11 year old me would have paid a year's allowance for a TARDIS Flig Manual!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MrL_JaKiri posted:

What a sad looking fellow

HEEEY SHAAAAW-TYY YOU LOOK-ING SO FIIIIIIIIIIINE!"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

2house2fly posted:

Name Of The Doctor showed Timeline A, where the Doctor died and Trenzalore was presumably razed to the ground by the Daleks right after. In Time Of The Doctor, the Time Lords created Timeline B, where the Doctor lived. The show currently takes place in Timeline B. What about things like Name Of The Doctor already having taken place in Timeline A, and Clara's presence in Timeline A being the very thing which brought her and the Doctor together in the first place for her to save his life and create Timeline B, stopping the events of Timeline A from ever having happened? Well, the Time Lords sorted that all out on the back end.

But wait! The Doctor of Timeline B went back to his first regeneration in Twice Upon A Time, and prevented the First Doctor from dying! Timeline B thus CREATED Timeline A in the first place! The original three seasons of the show up to The Tenth Planet took place in another timeline... Timeline C? So B caused C to become A, before causing A to become B. Not to mention that Clara and the Doctor were first brought together by Missy, who stabbed her previous self causing him to regenerate into her because she wanted to help the Doctor of Timeline B. Which means that Timeline B caused itself from inside itself, literally pulling itself up by its bootstraps.

You forgot to throw inThe Valeyard.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

I always like to think that the Dream Lord from Amy's Choice was essentially a background origin story for The Valeyard :)

That would be good but either way the Dream Lord should have come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Watcher sporting some snappy new threads I see.