Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I thought it was a season finale, and basically felt like I don't give a gently caress what the hosts do in their sim world in the future. Best of luck to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

Well, not sure what I expected but that was disappointing. How did what’s his name ride a horse apparently across the continental US in a couple of hours? Future horse?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

atomicpile posted:

Well, not sure what I expected but that was disappointing. How did what’s his name ride a horse apparently across the continental US in a couple of hours? Future horse?

You're putting more thought into the show than the writers did.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Oh they put thought into it and it's just choosing to have that moment no matter what.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

atomicpile posted:

man on a horse beats future tech plane to the punch, was The City meant to be LA or NY?

also haleorus, after complaining about her bots suiciding decides to suicide herself. its like poetry, it rhymes

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

atomicpile posted:

It was a host horse that had escaped from Westeros World.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
mmmboy that first season tho

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
This show is about as planned as Battlestar Galactica (2004).

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Combat Pretzel posted:

It even has the "sentient beings insist on playing god and create sentient beings which end up destroying them" theme.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Battlestar g > Westworld even in 2022 imho
This show needs the characters to discover a giant spaceship and take off on a space adventure. Have it so it's like Battlestar but from the AI robot humanoids perspective and sympathetic to their cause instead because the real human suck and deserve to be chased

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Y'know what was cool?
Westworldworld.
There should've been more of Westworldworld.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I have no idea what I just watched but it was funny that they referenced vintage 1999 counterstrike sniper griping complete with three guy using an Artic Warfare Magnum in tyool 2022.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Owlbear Camus posted:

I have no idea what I just watched but it was funny that they referenced vintage 1999 counterstrike sniper griping complete with three guy using an Artic Warfare Magnum in tyool 2022.
William is basically the perfect age to have been raging about campers in counter strike as a kid, so this is clearly the best piece of character writing of the season.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
It would be cool if every HBO show had an inexplicable horse scene near the end for some reason...

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Should be new thread title.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

atomicpile posted:

Should be new thread title.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Nameless Pete posted:

Season 5 is just going to be The Talos Principle, but hornier.

This show is no longer horny

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

William is basically the perfect age to have been raging about campers in counter strike as a kid, so this is clearly the best piece of character writing of the season.

What frustrates me about that line and the one later about putting the game on expert mode, is that the delivery is so clearly done by actors who don't know video game lingo and have never said those things in their lives. So of course the line delivery ends up feeling unnatural. The same sort of thing happened with Dolores when she was talking about NPCs in the first episode.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

some of these lines are so terrible. theyre giving the actors, who are already struggling, very little to work with

beeman
May 7, 2008

Cranappleberry posted:

mmmboy that first season tho

tbh I don’t think Westworld has ever been a particularly good show. I had a lot of gripes with the first season, and it’s been downhill from there

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

This show never had or will have as good a moment as the BSG midseason 4 finale

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
I'm so loving tired of living out extinction stories. I'm in one, bitch, I want to see robots loving! Stop doing Christianities in the middle of my robot loving show!@

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Sockser posted:

Y'know what was cool?
Westworldworld.
There should've been more of Westworldworld.

Westworldworld was super cool but I don’t think I’d ever get more our of it than what I got from that brief scene.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So with a million years to plan perfectly the best Bernard could do to stop Hale and William was to get 99% of everyone killed? They didn't seem to have much of an army or defenses he could of just known when they would be walking together in an alley and set off a bomb.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
This was just a setup for WestWorld: The Park

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Oh, god, are the Ascended trapped behind a door that can only opened with a knob? The Ascended sub plot just loving goes nowhere. What is even the benefit of uploading yourself to a weird slenderman biped morph. Hale actually had the right idea of retaining her favored human form while still giving yoursef cool upgrades. I don’t know about you guys, but if I was a Host, I’d fortify my meat body into a bullet proof gently caress machine that can eat anything and get drunk on kerosene.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Chris James 2 posted:

This show never had or will have as good a moment as the BSG midseason 4 finale

A whole episode or a moment? I would submit Maeve seeing upstairs in S1 can hang with the best single scenes of any series I've watched.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Marsupial Ape posted:

Oh, god, are the Ascended trapped behind a door that can only opened with a knob? The Ascended sub plot just loving goes nowhere. What is even the benefit of uploading yourself to a weird slenderman biped morph. Hale actually had the right idea of retaining her favored human form while still giving yoursef cool upgrades. I don’t know about you guys, but if I was a Host, I’d fortify my meat body into a bullet proof gently caress machine that can eat anything and get drunk on kerosene.

yeah that whole thing went no where and i was disappointed. you could tell the cg wasn't great though and this whole season kind of felt like their budget evaporated

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

thats not candy posted:

yeah that whole thing went no where and i was disappointed. you could tell the cg wasn't great though and this whole season kind of felt like their budget evaporated

The only time we actually get to see one move is through a hologram cctv. Yeah, they ran out of money.

They should have just said that Ascending meant that you got installed in one of the big white drones. At least people would have a reference and you don’t kill the budget. Also, that would have been cool to explore.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Darko posted:

I only just started this episode but lost it on "loving campers."

:same:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If this is not the series finale, why did they make Hale kill herself off? What?

This show is so full of ideas that the writers think they are clever scifi ideas but they are actually not real scifi ideas.

Like that tear in the space in the middle of the dam. What?! It doesn't actually mean anything it's not a real scif thought experiment you fucks.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Lister posted:

What frustrates me about that line and the one later about putting the game on expert mode, is that the delivery is so clearly done by actors who don't know video game lingo and have never said those things in their lives. So of course the line delivery ends up feeling unnatural. The same sort of thing happened with Dolores when she was talking about NPCs in the first episode.

Haven't they been torturing Ed Harris with plot misdirecting and lovely dialogue for basically the entire run? At some point the guy has to channel his frustration somewhere.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

stephenthinkpad posted:

If this is not the series finale, why did they make Hale kill herself off? What?

This show is so full of ideas that the writers think they are clever scifi ideas but they are actually not real scifi ideas.

Like that tear in the space in the middle of the dam. What?! It doesn't actually mean anything it's not a real scif thought experiment you fucks.

Well it's a mix of sci-fi ideas and things with cool visuals. Neither may be necesarry for the overall plot and themes and may complicate it to the detriment of the show - but that one scene will be neat! And then we'll deal with the next scene when we get to it and try to make that one neat too.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Teddy and Delores talking on a balcony for 10 minutes, delivering dialogue they clearly don’t give a poo poo about is not great tv.

Not a single bit of action in the finale was necessary, which would be fine if it was cool, but it was just stupid idiot crap. Hale walking up to monologue at Williams back was a real groaner, and so was that gunfight, and everything else after it.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug
Aside from the silliness that the Sublime could build a model of the world so complex it could account for every frickin variable. To the point that Bernard is waiting to see if a beetle farts on his hand to see if they are still on a viable path within the branching possibilities...

I can't shake the feeling that I watched 8 hours of a show where nothing was really explained, plots were begrudgingly advanced by baby steps, and nothing of note really happened. You could have tightened up the writing/editing and crammed this season into two episodes.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

It’s pretty obvious the writers just have a twist in mind and are using awful plot devices for a means to the end.

If they get another season I’m calling that this is STILL a Bernard simulation because he needs to run a test to find out if and how humans and hosts can coexist. So they can reveal at the end of next season that Bernard has cracked the code and can develop a new plan he never considered before so he can wake up and change the world before it goes to poo poo. Or in an even shittier twist this is all a simulation run by the alternate-black-orb in S3 or something from even earlier.

So with that twist in mind the writers had to cobble together some bullshit season where everything ends unsatisfactorily. If I hadn’t lived through GOT logic-bending treachery I would’ve said this season was for sure still a simulation because William, on foot and horseback, went from NYC to the Hoover dam faster than Haleoros did in a loving aircraft. Also how there wasn’t even a token scene to another spot on the planet that has mind controlled humans. We were just supposed to think that if they said they conquered the world 100 times then we’d believe them. But alas, GOT showed us that with HBO, anything is possible.

I mean, as one poster said, there is no satisfaction because at this point you literally can’t know if anything is real or not or where the story is going until the show “tells you” and even then it has proven it can still be lying through its teeth.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If HBO is making another season, I call on Ed Harris to have the dignity to say no to these fucks. Like the man is already 80% in the grave, and he clearly doesn't understand the show plot since s2. He doesn't need to be remembered as that leather face villain in that hack show.

Mellowed Hemsworth can be in S5 whatever. Also bring back musk's old frame.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jorge Bell posted:

I'm so loving tired of living out extinction stories. I'm in one, bitch, I want to see robots loving! Stop doing Christianities in the middle of my robot loving show!@

hey now Raised By Wolves pulled it off

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Khanstant posted:

hey now Raised By Wolves pulled it off

The superior Milky Robot show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug