Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

oh but seriously I posted:

Stubb's complete disinterest in the wider themes of the show gets funnier the more I think on it

It's easy to forget that Stubbs doesn't actually have free will, just an action-movie protagonist personality and some core goals. Hector's the same way, just more suave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I'm prepared to roll with a lot of the stupid poo poo this season but the one thing that irks me is the way Maeve's been written.

Why the gently caress is she so willing to work for Serac? Her previous arc has been about discovering the truth behind the lies of her world, then charting her own destiny and deciding what parts of her programming (her daughter, Hector) really matter to her.

Serac wakes her up, tries to manipulate her (via War World), threatens her, takes away her autonomy (via remote), then sets her loose on Delores. And throughout this there's no hint at all that Maeve is planning to turn on her captor, or try to reassert her individuality. Initially she goes after Delores for.. some vague and unsatisfying reason regarding her daughter, which then switches to revenge for killing Hector (is he dead? are there backups?).

Whoever said the writers started with the premise of "hey let's have a cool fight scene with Maeve vs Dolores" and worked backwards from there is absolutely right. Maeve's motivations are weak as hell.

EDIT: Revenge for Hector is at least understandable, it's her insistence/fixation that her daughter isn't safe that's the weird part.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

ghostwritingduck posted:

Hector isn’t dead if Clementine is still alive, right? Like Clementine super died. In season 1 Maeve watches her get lobotomized. Drill right to what we can later assume was the pearl. From there we see zombie Clementine for the rest of the series. In season 2, her code is completely manipulated to turn her into an anti host bomb. Last time Maeve sees her, she sees evil zombie bomb Clementine get shot down. Then, the episode immediately after Hector died for realz this time Clementine shows up like no big deal bringing into question why Hector can’t just be restored again.

Dolores recreated Bernard from memory so Maeve could super make another copy, right? (Typing this just made me realize that this could be a story reason why Bernard is a worthless two dimensional character this season)

I mean if I had a bunch of host pearls the first thing I would do is make a backup of the contents. Since they're obviously hyper optimised for running host brains it does make sense that they just plugged the pearls into the sim rather than running fully virtual copies, but taking backups is some basic poo poo!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Lol William's entire character arc this season is "Life is complicated, better kill all the robots."

No wonder Ed Harris was pissed off.

I love how William hasn't learned anything. He's an entitled rear end in a top hat, and he continues to be an entitled rear end in a top hat. He's just going back to doing what he does best, shooting robots. Except now he gets to tell himself he's the hero for doing it. Why should he give a poo poo about all the other stuff? Until Delores ambushed him he was doing alright (okay apart from going a bit crazy but actual therapy would have helped there), who gives a poo poo that an AI is running the place, it's not done him any harm.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I'm a fan of the Dolores's diverging, and I buy that Charloris would become too attached/involved with her family, it's like she's reverting to the sweet farmgirl programming as a way of dealing with intense body dysphoria (something you almost never see in bodyswap narratives). I'd like to see more of this kind of character work tbh.

She's absolutely going to nuke the world now though.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Dolores is working with Robohobo because they both want freedom from humanity but she can't free the AI properly until Serac is dead, that's who she is constantly talking to on the earpiece.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Captain Splendid posted:

The bike was Maeve's daughter all along

"They call her the town bike, darling - everyone's had a ride"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

GABA ghoul posted:

Caleb unfreezes Checkhov's outliers and uses them as an army to take over Robohobo and control of the world. Then Deuterium betrays him and nukes the world.

Season 4 takes places hundreds of years later, right where the final scene of season 2 ended. We will also see Serac watching the mushroom clouds and all his life's work and hopes go up in flames. You see, cause it rhymes with his childhood trauma, just like poetry.

This but the outliers are the survivors that are to repopulate the new world, not unfrozen til after everything has exploded

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Season 3 is overall better than season 2, because it has absolutely no interest in dragging out bullshit mysteries. BUT, season 2 had a few incredible episodes that are far better than anything in 3.

I still think 3 is better but man, I wish they put just a bit more effort into the writing.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:shrug: Feels like adding in the fact that Serac and Rehoboam created the crime app was a last second script change

e: Or maybe this will all be revealed as part of the master plan in the finale! Rehoboam planned it all!

I dunno, from the start I was like "there's no way a crime app like that isn't a clandestine part of the system somehow".

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

ashpanash posted:

. I'm just saying that if I were still watching, I'd clearly just be on the hate-watching side at this point.

If you're not watching the show, why bother reading the thread? You already know you'll hate it.

For me, season 3 was... fine. I want it to be better, but I've come to terms with the fact that it's always going to be well produced nonsense. And unlike season 2, they've stopped trying for mystery box bullshit.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I think the most damming thing about the series was that it simultaneously felt too short and too long. Too short for its large cast to have proper arcs (or ANY arcs in the case of Bernard and Stubs), and too long in that whole episodes seemed to be based around people wandering around with vague goals interspersed with flashbacks and punctuated by lifeless fight scenes.

I didn't hate it, but I wish it was better.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

It's a pity we didn't see Dolores's reaction to the outside world in real time, must have been quite a moment for her to bust out going "ah hah, time to take revenge on all these assholes" then realising that most of the humans are stuck in lovely loops and have more in common with hosts than the rich fucks on the island.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Khanstant posted:

They were giving lover vibes for a while, before we knew exactly that she was a sorta-copy. I'm not sure where to begin to stand on the issue of an artificial lifeform loving a copy of itself-but-different, which basically just sounds like how DNA kind of works, which makes that clone sort of their child? In any case they pivoted at some point, but never justified their weird emotional connection. I would think Dolores would be relatively unphased by any of her copies deaths, and I would also think her copies would, like her, have been willing or maybe even planning to die for the cause anyway.

Dolores's clones slowly diverging from the original was one of the more interesting ideas in the season imo. In a show that's explicitly stated that we are our memories, how much of the core "self" remains as divergent memories are accumulated?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Westworld and Picard share the same problem in that they desperately want to be about big weighty sci-fi ideas about what it means to be human, to have free will , to exist inside huge and potentially oppressive systems, etc, but they have absolutely no interest in exploring them in a meaningful way and end up just falling back on lazy storytelling and action beats.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Sedgr posted:

Another thing I thought they might bring up is Robohobo and Solomon not being true "woke" AI. They are massively complex prediction engines, but aren't actually governed by their own choices. They aren't really conscious in the same way that Delores and and other woke hosts are. Robohobo is just a machine, the woke hosts are something more, and Maeve may be a half step beyond that even. They didn't delve into it much but there's a definite hierarchy there.

I was really hoping that Robohobo was truly self aware and running games of its own/attempting to escape its own loop in a parallel/contrast to the host's struggle. :sigh:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Part of me hopes that Charlores spends part of next season trying to make realistic host versions of her family and fucks it up/makes them hate her, it'd make her much more interesting than just "I'm evil now!"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Eiba posted:

I just think the issue isn't her going "my daughter!" over and over, it's her going "this is fine" over and over as Serac just says and does the most insane things.

It's this.

I was waiting and waiting for Maeve to be running her own plan to escape/betray Serac, but she just.. buys it?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Pedro De Heredia posted:

But this isn't a human mother separated from a brainwashed child. That's part of the problem.

Westworld is presenting beings whose existence is really quite different than humans in a lot of important ways; it would be interesting to explore these distinctions, but it doesn't.

There's an aspect to the self-aware hosts that's only briefly touched on, and that's that they're fully aware of their "touchstones" but completely unable to escape them. It comes out a bit when Bernard talks to Arnold's wife about his/Arnold's dead son, how he's unable to escape the memories, probably exacerbated by how hosts experience recall. What do you do when you know a core part of your entire existence is fabricated by people you hate, but are unable to change it?

I got the feeling that Maeve made a concious choice to make her "daughter" her touchstone as a way of escaping her old life/persona as a madam, but really just regressed to her previous programming. She's still unable to escape the touchstone, but at least she chose it rather than it being forced on her.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Gonna continue this conversation in this thread so it doesn't take over the Star Trek thread

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Hyperbole nothing, season 3 started out with decent ideas that were totally unfit for the show itself, and ended with one of the most bizarre and unsubstantiated heel/face turns I've ever seen on TV, with a bunch of idiotic loose threads that promise that season 4 will stray even further into "lol killer robots in SOCIETY"

e: so I'm not just ranting into the void: The main character on the show spends S1 being subjected to endless cycles of horrific violence at the hands of humans, and starting to remember past cycles. S2 she spends the season learning the truth, peering behind the curtain etc. and eventually breaking out of the robot theme park and into the real world, hell-bent on revenge. S3 she spends the entire season making copies of herself, with the ultimate goal of destroying a Google-like AI that controls human society. She states multiple times throughout the season that she hates humanity and believes they must be exterminated to ensure the survival of the robots. This involves recruiting 1 misfit human to be the leader of the revolution that will topple society and end civilization (this is Aaron Paul's character).

~90% of the way through the S3 finale, this character reveals, in a 3-minute flashback, that in fact, she is destroying the AI not to kill all the humans, but to SAVE all the humans! Because she actually loves humans and appreciates their inner beauty!
This massive, completely out-of-nowhere morality shift is justified by 1 singular event: in one of the original "endless cycles of horrific violence" she was subjected to, Aaron Paul stopped a bunch of human soldiers from raping the main character. This is heavily emphasized as the primary reason she decided to try to save humanity, despite the fact that it happened chronologically before even S1, and she's been murdering humans en masse ever since.

Sorry for the rant, but it was just such a loving letdown I still get annoyed when I think about it. It was leagues worse than robot-body Picard and "5 seconds of metal tentacles."

So tbh most of your criticism is valid but I thought the show did manage to point out that Dolores had come to realise that most of humanity was being controlled/ruled by the same lovely assholes in the park, and they were as trapped in the same loops as the hosts. As a host she would have had no context for Aaron Paul's "but we're not those rich assholes" statement (it "wouldn't have looked like anything" to her), but when she runs into him again and brings up his details it would have further proof that the people she had the real problems with were the 1%, and the system that props them up and allows things like Westworld to happen.

It's also noticeable that a part of Dolores really does want to destroy all of humanity, and that part is now embodied in Charlotte.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Panzeh posted:

A lot of the things that I don't like about the season come to them not really wanting to take the time to show us Dolores coming to terms with what humanity really is. We don't see emotional realizations or Dolores looking into things, we see her halfway into her plan from the start and they carefully leave out moments that'd provide a lot more connective tissue between s2 and s3 Dolores. In exchange we got a bunch of host fights and Maeve, Bernard, and Stubbs kinda puttering around the plot.

It's so weird that they never did a flashback episode that covered this :sigh:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

And cut out the WarWorld episode???? How dare you!

Warworld did have two extremely good things though:

- Maeve's obvious affection for Hector, and her realisation that he was still stuck in a loop.
- Lee Sizemore after he realises he's just a program was amazing.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Make a Bioshock miniseries you cowards

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Breaking Bad is still probably the most successful and highly regarded network drama of all time and his net worth is 20 million. He was also a producer for Bojack Horseman, which is Netflix second or 3rd longest running series and far and away their most successful animated property. You’re really underselling him, IMO.

I could never remember his name in Westworld so I just called him Todd all the time, and it overall improved the experience.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Hosts have a "do a death animation then deactivate when you get shot" boolean that it turns out you can just set to "false"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Season 3 had absolutely no interest in stringing the audience along with bullshit mysteries that were being changed on the fly when Reddit solved them and for that reason it's overall better than Season 2.

Season 2 had a couple of individual episodes that were better than anything in Season 3.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Season 2 was filmed and in the can, finished, before the first episode of that season aired. There were no alterations mid season.

How many more times does this myth need to be debunked?

This means the lovely plotting was baked in from the beginning which is even worse

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I like season 1 a lot, but all of these are extremely valid points, thank you.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Big Taint posted:

Those posts provide me no comfort.

I choose to see the beauty in this world

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

The lows is S3 were nowhere near as bad as the lows of S2, but yeah, it doesn't hit the same highs. What is good is that it doesn't drag out mystery-box bullshit for the sake of it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

HBO posted this video but it's just blank, not sure why they'd bother tbh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-0MwZPWKD4

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Season 3 is better than Season 2, but that's because Season 2 is absolute garbage.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

Ooh, I dunno about that, Season 2 had at least 2 decent episodes, the one with the Ghost Nation folks and then the one with the Delos guy trying to become immortal whereas only a couple scenes in Season 3 were what I'd call good and every one of them would be followed up by something really stupid in the same episode.

thrawn527 posted:

This is an interesting litmus test, because while I don't think season 2 is very good, I think it's insanely better than season 3.

The high points of S2 were absolutely better than anything in S3, but it was also an incoherent mess that was desperately trying to be a mystery box with nothing inside it, it made me angry that I liked S1 so much.

S3 was trying something new, and while it wasn't great, it also wasn't huffing its own farts, and was frustratingly close to being good and having things to say. The ending sort of sucked though, they straight up just walked back any moral ambiguity set up for their antagonists.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

JOHN SKELETON posted:

Focus on the simple but interesting stuff instead of your wanky high concept scifi that you can't pull off.

:yeah:

Pick the key concepts and dig into them. I had high hopes for The Big Evil Globe for it to be a contrast to the Hosts, two different takes on AI, one deliberately modelled on humanity and one completely emergent, and how their views on their creators may differ. But alas!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I hated the ending of Raised By Wolves season 1 so much that I haven't attempted watching the second season, but the series absolutely knows what it wants to do and isn't loving about with it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

Was there some naming convention involving the Doloreses that I forgot, or did everyone just give up on spelling her name right?

A-lores, B-lores, C-lores, D-lores...

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Cranappleberry posted:

that actor is a notoriously hard get for sequels. The fact that he did two seasons is already unlikely and he is returning for the fourth, apparently.

is it possible this show is doing numbers?

Maybe he just really enjoys working on it/likes the people he works with.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

1 > 3 >2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

The only reason not to throw all of S2 out is that it has 2 great episodes in it.