Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Made of Meat

FluffieDuckie posted:

that's a good point. or child safety seats for the car

Well, face it. We still have people who protest seatbelt and helmet laws.

People are NOT smart.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

Man, I am just so loving tired of every loving thing.

oof. I feel this

Heather Papps

hello friend

i need to get into a very dirty grimy sweaty most pit and scream and fight with strangers and

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

xcheopis

Rather a sweet way to be remembered:
"It's that nice white lady! With the masks!"

google THIS

Nobody cared who I was until I started handing out the masks.

xcheopis

google THIS posted:

Nobody cared who I was until I started handing out the masks.

So true.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I just delivered the last of the N95s we were able to get to the local outreach and I'm now back at work dealing with spilled hand sanitizer everywhere.

alnilam

Ham sanitizer

ty manifisto

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

alnilam posted:

Ham sanitizer

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

alnilam posted:

Ham sanitizer

excellent username, very topical

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

alnilam posted:

Ham sanitizer

This is like a fence for stolen items that specializes in stolen hams

Areola Grande

very important for those of us working essential ham jobs.

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."

alnilam posted:

Ham sanitizer

This is the stuff you use to clean up that ham you smuggled out of the grocery store.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
**looks up while scrubbing hands for 30 seconds in ham gel goo from a smuggled ham**

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

i almost ragequit today

i am not busting my rear end with cut hours AGAIN doing twice the workload in half the time for less money anymore, i cannot loving do that in normal times and i cannot loving do that in a pandemic anymore.

City of Glompton

Man, I am just so loving tired of every loving thing.

City of Glompton

alnilam posted:

Ham sanitizer

except this i love this

HUSKY DILF

aggressively chill
I just got done doing a trach/PEG on a COVID patient which isn稚 exactly a big deal but my allergies are making me want to rip my eyeballs out because they continually weep and itch and I知 going to give myself it for sure

also I got into a screaming match with my boss because I知 leaving my current job and he is resentful that I want a couple of days off to move to my new house and help out my 27 week pregnant wife with my two kids while me move, while he takes two weeks of vacation and mine got wiped out by the pandemic

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Kief Richards posted:

i almost ragequit today

i am not busting my rear end with cut hours AGAIN doing twice the workload in half the time for less money anymore, i cannot loving do that in normal times and i cannot loving do that in a pandemic anymore.

:glomp:

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

HUSKY DILF posted:

I just got done doing a trach/PEG on a COVID patient which isn稚 exactly a big deal but my allergies are making me want to rip my eyeballs out because they continually weep and itch and I知 going to give myself it for sure

also I got into a screaming match with my boss because I知 leaving my current job and he is resentful that I want a couple of days off to move to my new house and help out my 27 week pregnant wife with my two kids while me move, while he takes two weeks of vacation and mine got wiped out by the pandemic

:glomp:

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
I WANT A loving DO-OVER ON THIS REALITY GOD DAMMIT

xcheopis

:sigh:
I comfort myself with the knowledge that at least our management absolutely has our back on safety and time off to destress.
But, yeah. :sympathy: from a non-hugging person.

Stoner Sloth

I WANT A loving DO-OVER ON THIS REALITY GOD DAMMIT

:glomp: to all of you being put through the wringer by this, I hope things start to get better at some point :sigh:

in the meantime sending positive and chill vibes to you all, especially Kief, Husky and xcheopis today

also

alnilam posted:

Ham sanitizer

thanks, this made me chortle while trying to drink orange juice and it came out my nose but totally worth it

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

xcheopis

HUSKY DILF posted:

I just got done doing a trach/PEG on a COVID patient which isn’t exactly a big deal but my allergies are making me want to rip my eyeballs out because they continually weep and itch and I’m going to give myself it for sure

also I got into a screaming match with my boss because I’m leaving my current job and he is resentful that I want a couple of days off to move to my new house and help out my 27 week pregnant wife with my two kids while me move, while he takes two weeks of vacation and mine got wiped out by the pandemic

My housemate's boss is cutting hours because he just has to get his third vacation home redecorated. Very important!

xcheopis

Kief Richards posted:

i almost ragequit today

Come to California and I will buy you high cbd gummies.

HUSKY DILF

aggressively chill
I have never wanted to smoke out more in my life than right loving now as I知 still in the hospital on another overnight call. drat you drug testing and disapproving wife.

Escape From Noise

Last night I had a dream where my middle brother (the nuclear physicist IRL) told me he'd crunched the numbers and that the world is definitely ending in 200 years, but not any time before that. I quipped that I'd at least be long gone by then.

Take from this what you will.

Escape From Noise

I wanna go home and like smoke weed with my dad and BBQ or whatever.

Goons Are Gifts

Alright I kinda want and don't want to share something personal, so after making and deleting this post twice, I'll go with the alternative of halfway doing so! This is going to be bad vibes so feel free to skip this post anytime, I don't want to make anyone feel bad, but it would be disingenuous if I wouldn't be honest with you guys.

Due to really bad stuff (unrelated to the virus) I had to be in the hospital for about a week a bit ago and mostly spent my time posting in byob, the carefree forum, so that was cool. Only one person in total was allowed to visit me and that was not that cool, I had to register him by name and he had to show his ID whenever he wanted to get in, he could do so more or less whenever, but still it was annoying. The hospital itself was fine, they have a specific virus station setup but as we only got around 200 cases in the city by now and only a few of them needed hospital care, they had only 5 patients up there. Of course, the safety measures had to be extreme and boy they were. I cannot even remotely imagine how working under these circumstances must be, wearing a fully protective suit top to bottom for 8 to 12 hour shifts, switching them multiple times and you need like 10 minutes and help by someone else to put it on, Jesus Christ.

What really depressed me over that time was the lack of seeing people though. My best friend in the world (next to byob) came by often and I'm incredibly thankful for that, but you should have seen my phone buzzing over people who wanted to come by, too. Some even got kinda mad that I didn't pick them and at some point I just turned it off and didn't write to anyone anymore, I couldn't stand them worrying and not being able to check up on me combined with me missing my friends so much.

I'm a very, very socialized person, I usually spend the majority of my day with people, there hasn't been a single day in the past, like, 5 years maybe where I didn't leave the house to meet someone or go somewhere where I could do so. The pandemic was already putting me under incredible stress, my home bar got closed, my theaters where I watch Every Movie Ever like thrice a week got closed, my workplace got closed, the library where I usually work and research got closed. Dealing with that put me into a difficult situation already, but when I got bad diagnoses and ended up in a lone room in a hospital with no one but my best friend (without whom I probably would have gone crazy, he came by every day because he's the sweetest boy on earth) coming by and other worrying about me, or just trying to contact me because they, too, are lacking social contacts and wanted to check up after a while, that was heartbreaking. It kinda still is, even though I'm back at home. I feel like the experience of not being able to socialize the way I usually do changed something in me and I do not know how to deal with that yet.

Even though stuff here is now back open, it still is so different and I am still not satisfied with it, because everyone is acting different. On the one hand, because the pandemic isn't over, on the other, because I suspect this time also changed them. Many are having a bad time in general by now, too, one friend lost his home over fighting with his girlfriend until he moved out with no where else to go, so he crashed a friend's couch.
Realizing that stuff opening back up alone is not really a relief from what we went through is making me insanely uncomfortable. Apparently I just hoped that stuff will be back to normal once, you know, it's back to normal. Now I don't know when or if that will happen anytime soon.

Sorry, usually I'm a very happy and excitable person, but I feel like I somewhat lost my ability to be like that and I just wish I can find a way to recover.

Goons Are Gifts fucked around with this message at 11:56 on May 29, 2020

xcheopis

I'm sorry, GaG.
We need a PPE-hug smilie.

Stoner Sloth

:glomp: (with recommended PPE of course!)

For what it's worth, I think expecting things to go back to the way they were is a cruel trick that our brains play. We're used to seeing things resolved in movies, games, tv, books and forget that in real life they seldom are wrapped up so neatly.

I think the truth is that it's normal to grieve for things not being the same and this is all going to take time for everyone to process and start moving forwards from how things have changed. It's okay to feel however you are feeling about that and to not feel as enthusiastic or to feel depressed about things. Please just be easy on yourself, work through things however you need to at your own pace and do the self care you need. Recovery will come eventually, whatever that looks like and on the time table it needs to be.

The only other thing of value I can suggest is to try and just appreciate the little things and find some measure of joy and comfort in them.

Much love to you friend, and to everyone in BYOB trying to adjust to this bloody year.

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Areola Grande

GaG. Something like what you've described happened to me a few years ago and now I'm permanently changed. I just want you to know that as you grow older your irl crew is going to shrink no matter what, but there are efforts you can make (which I didn't make) to combat and slow the change in yourself.

A few years ago I moved from my home in the American midwest out to Sacramento sort of on a whim, leaving behind a large crew of friends for the sake of adventure. I was 29 then. I moved out there with two roommates, and we had a free place to stay at one roommate's mom's house while we established ourselves as working citizens of California. The plan was for all three of us to find work and then save up for a house to rent. I got a job and a medical marijuana card pretty quickly, but my two roommates didn't have much initiative by comparison. They kept making excuses and being lazy since we didn't have many bills.

Eighteen months later, nothing had changed. I had spent those months working by day and smoking and drinking by night in a small bedroom, feeling totally uprooted and out of place. People are different out there. It was hard to make friends in such a culturally weird place...so I never made any friends. At this point I was 31 and I had given up on these two roommates ever getting jobs and following our plan. So I packed my bags and drove back to the midwest where things would hopefully make sense again.

When I got back to my hometown I found that many people from my old crew were gone or married or just different. It wasn't the same as it had been 18 months ago. I was a changed person from having been in isolation for so long, and I had little motivation to be the social butterfly I once had been. I like to think that part of this change in me was due to aging, but the other part was definitely due to self-imposed isolation from society.

In time I found that this change was permanent. I was a hermit, and I still am. I didn't make efforts to revert to my previous way of life. I found myself resigned to solitude. What I'm getting at is that through willpower you can get your old life back once this pandemic ends (if it ends), but it will take work. Don't let it all slip away like I did.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I'm mostly happily a hermit by choice and disposition, but I have picked up the phone and called more people during all this than usual, and they've all been glad to have someone to talk to, and vice versa. It's not the same as real face to face connection, but I guess it will have to do and it has helped me alot to talk with friends and family even if I can't see them.

I've been worried alot about the midterm. I have a vague idea what next week is going to look like. In 2-3 years there will be a new normal-maybe because we have a vaccine and things go back to more or less how they were 3 months ago, maybe because the virus is just endemic and we we deal with it like the flu. But what the heck does September look like? Are we still going to be doing this then? What does the economy look like in January? The stock market doesn't seem to care that there is a huge pandemic and my work and livelihood relies on wealthy people spending lots of money on frivolous things-are they still gonna be doing that in October? Even tiny stuff like is my extended family going to come for thanksgiving like they always do is completely unknown and I've just stopped making plans for anything more than about a week out.

There's just so much uncertainty even about my tiny little life and it's freakin stressin me out. That's not to even mention the actual real human suffering and loss of life and family and livelihood so many people are already dealing with.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

xcheopis

Protests in my area start early this afternoon, so I am being ordered home, effective as soon as I finish this task for my boss.

Fifteen years taking prescriptions
Now a shrink like, "I dunno, maybe get a kitten"

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

xcheopis posted:

Protests in my area start early this afternoon, so I am being ordered home, effective as soon as I finish this task for my boss.

hell yeah on both fronts

to GaG, i realize this is a lot easier to say than do but try to focus on the connection that all those people trying to get ahold of you implies rather than the isolation of their not being able to be physically present. they're still out there and they still care about you as much as ever and are using the tools they have to show it. that means a lot

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

more falafel please

forums poster

i'm also a social butterfly, so it's been rough. i've been trying to keep up with people on video calls and stuff but it's not the same.

last weekend i went on a bike ride with a friend of mine from high school that i've only seen once every couple years since then who just moved back here. it was rad to ride around and stuff even though we couldn't really go anywhere or do anything. it's just very nice to talk to people in person

i do live with a wonderful partner, so it's not like i'm totally starved of social interaction, but that's different than friends

it's gonna be hard to figure out what to do in the next few months. it might soon be ok to say that i'll be able to see certain friends for real when we've both been being similar levels of careful.

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hweEQY_nDGg

:glomp: everyone

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

It's poppin off here

xcheopis

owlhawk911 posted:

hell yeah on both fronts

to GaG, i realize this is a lot easier to say than do but try to focus on the connection that all those people trying to get ahold of you implies rather than the isolation of their not being able to be physically present. they're still out there and they still care about you as much as ever and are using the tools they have to show it. that means a lot

Looking at the bus "real time predictions" and it's a sea of red cancellation notices for the afternoon. Did get all my shopping done, which is a relief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis

Kief Richards posted:

It's poppin off here

Protests?