Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

https://www.forbes.com/sites/loisal...y/#796dba0550d5

I'm pretty sure this is a real thing and not some elaborate prank. I'll let you guess how much a 1.3 ounce container of that hand sanitizer costs. Did you guess 12 bucks? Do you feel disrupted yet? I hope so.

quote:

Billionaires
Innovation
Leadership
Money
Business
Small Business
Lifestyle
Lists
Advisor
Featured
Breaking
More

EDITORS' PICK|7,544 views|Mar 10, 2020,07:12pm EST
This Female Entrepreneur Is Disrupting The Entire Hand Sanitizer Industry
Lois Alter Mark
Lois Alter MarkContributor
Travel
I cover travel: the places, the faces, the food, the best suitcases.
Andrea Lisbona, founder and CEO of Touchland.
Andrea Lisbona, founder and CEO of Touchland. TOUCHLAND
If there was ever a time to spotlight Andrea Lisbona, Women’s History Month during the time of coronavirus is it.

When Lisbona launched Touchland in 2019, she never could have guessed that hand sanitizer would soon become the most sought-after product in the world.

Personally, I travel everywhere with the Touchland Power Mist, and I always have one in my purse, my car, my carry-on. Not only is it effective but it’s slim, flat, it comes in beautiful colors and scents and it moisturizes while it sanitizes. It’s a real conversation piece, and I’m constantly getting asked about it whenever I pull it out for a spritz. In fact, you’ve never seen a hand sanitizer brand with such a cool Instagram account.

When the coronavirus hit and hand sanitizer began disappearing from store shelves, I reached out to Lisbona to see how she was doing and how her business was being impacted. She may have one of the few growth stories during this challenging time.

Here’s what she had to say:

Touchland is as good-looking as it is effective.
Touchland is as good-looking as it is effective. TOUCHLAND
Today In: Travel

What made you decide to create a hand sanitizer in the first place?

Hand sanitizers play a key role in staying healthy on the go, but this commoditized industry hadn’t seen advancements in innovation for 20 years, only offering harsh, sticky formulas with a strong alcohol fragrance, leaving skin dry. We wanted to disrupt that and create a solution to makes people’s lives happier and healthier.

Tell us about your background and what you were doing before.

I was born in Barcelona and I’ve studied both business administration and fashion design. When I was 24 years old, I began distributing hand sanitizer solutions from various brands to better understand the market. I learned the problems and the opportunities so I could ultimately improve everything from the inside.

Where did the name, Touchland, come from?

The hand sanitizer industry is cemented in eliminating germs and instilling fear. We wanted to disrupt this way of thinking and build a solution that, instead, empowers people to live their lives to the fullest. That’s how Touchland was born; we wanted to inspire people to "touch more" and feel great while sanitizing their hands. We wanted a name to express our mission.

Why did you think there was room in the category for another hand sanitizer?

The category was antiquated, offering harsh formulas that dry your skin, are very sticky and smell strongly of alcohol. There was room for a brand to build solutions to not only meet the functional needs of a sanitizing product, but to also take care of the skin.

What makes Touchland different?

From its design to ingredients, its brand-to-consumer communication to the experience itself – we have tailored a product that differs from competitors, disrupting every angle possible.

How did you come up with the design – which is beautiful, by the way?

Thank you! I studied design and have always been interested in learning how brands create solutions which are appealing to the eye and are truly memorable. We used design parameters such as the Golden Ratio to create solutions that are convenient yet beautiful. Other brands, like Apple, also use the Golden Ratio when designing products.

How do you come up with your scents?

Our amazing social media community plays a key role here. We are heavily engaged with them and there’s no better source of information than our own audience. We want to listen to what our consumer wants and often ask what they want to see from us. Whether it’s for our scents, new products or even new partnerships, we are inspired and moved by our audience.

Watermelon is a popular Touchland scent.
Watermelon is a popular Touchland scent. TOUCHLAND
How many different scents do you have now and how many more are you planning to introduce?

We currently carry eight fragrances but are working with top perfume manufacturers and will be launching an elevated collection of scents very soon! We are confident people will love our upcoming offerings.

Which scent is the most popular?

Honestly, it changes all the time. Some days we can’t keep our lavender fragrance on the shelves and others Watermelon has its best-selling moment. It definitely depends on the season.

Are your products sold in stores as well as online?

Yes, we are available online as well as at all 1200 ULTA locations and select Urban Outfitters, Bloomingdales and Aerie shops.

What’s been the most challenging part of starting your own business?

Keeping up with consumer demand. We launched a year ago, but the rate of demand, partnering with a large, multinational retailer and the overall speed of the business has us consistently fixated on increasing our rate of production.

What’s been the most challenging part of starting it in this particular category?

The skepticism behind making hand sanitizer cool. It took time for people to buy into the idea that this category that could be dramatically improved. Sometimes it’s hard to recognize the opportunity in elevating everyday products. It just takes the right company who wants to make it happen.

Andrea Lisbona, CEO and Founder of Touchland.
Andrea Lisbona, founder and CEO of Touchland. TOUCHLAND
You just introduced a dispenser. Tell us a little about it – and the thinking behind it. Is it meant just for businesses or can consumers use it at home as well?

Our dispenser is geared towards both businesses and for at-home use. We started with a product meant for on-the-go scenarios and wanted to also offer a solution to create healthy environments. It’s a water-conscious approach to keeping your hands clean. I personally have one in my kitchen and I use it before cooking.

What other products will you be launching?

We have many innovations coming down the pipeline – all straddling the lines between skincare and hygiene with better design, a mission-driven approach and innovative solutions.

Okay, this would have been a very different interview about a month ago! How has coronavirus changed your business?

As a business we, of course, prepare ourselves for consistent growth, wanting to meet the demand of our consumers. But we are now experiencing a sales trajectory of 800 percent and are selling an average of 10,000 Power Mist units or more a day!

How has it changed the way you personally see your business and its impact?

I look at things through a long-term lens so this hasn’t changed the way I see Touchland. But it’s an opportunity to communicate and educate people during a time when they are willing to listen. Consumers are recognizing the increased importance of personal hygiene and sanitizing their hands.

What’s the most effective way for them to use your products?

Definitely when they’re on the go – especially when touching public surfaces. It is multi-surface friendly, which is a real plus. People use Touchland everywhere: on their phones, tables, everywhere!

Do you think the hand sanitizer market will stay strong once people get used to using it on a regular basis?

I don’t believe all brands will continue to gain momentum. Many brands have popped up during this outbreak as a means to make fast money. We launched a year ago and haven’t changed our messaging to reflect the current panic about what’s going on. People who buy Touchland are buying a brand, a lifestyle and a way of seeing life. We are not just a hand sanitizer, and that’s why I think we have created the strong and engaged community we have.

I know giving back is important to you, and consumers are really looking to support companies that do good these days. Can you talk about your charitable initiatives and how you chose them?

We value the platform we have access to in making a difference, and we take this opportunity seriously. We participate in various relief initiatives, providing supplies during outbreaks and natural disasters. Our Touchlives campaign focuses on sending our waterless solutions to developing areas where hygiene is crucial to survive.

Follow me on Twitter or LinkedIn. Check out my website.
Lois Alter Mark
Lois Alter Mark
I believe the world would be a better place if we all traveled more, and I write about everything from luxury spas, cruises and hotels to quirky museums and street food… Read More
Print
Site Feedback
Tips
Corrections
Reprints & Permissions
Terms
Privacy
© 2020 Forbes Media LLC. All Rights Reserved.
AdChoices

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
ive got a flat rectangular hand sanitizer spray labelled sergi and its really nice. the mist/spray types last a long time

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Duck and Cover posted:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/loisal...y/#796dba0550d5

I'm pretty sure this is a real thing and not some elaborate prank. I'll let you guess how much a 1.3 ounce container of that hand sanitizer costs. Did you guess 12 bucks? Do you feel disrupted yet? I hope so.

I chew my fingernails and ride public transportation. Eat poo poo.lady

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Your hand sanitizers are a fuckin retarded saftey blanket, real science confirms its full of poo poo.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
There’s too many ads on that site to even read lol

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
how to disrupt the hand sanitizer industry

1. go to liquor store, buy a bottle of everclear (preferably 189 or 190)

2. cut up an old t-shirt into roughly hand-size squares

3. pour everclear into a large cup, add a generous squirt of dish detergent, and stir

4. put t-shirt pieces into a ziplock bag of whatever size (small for travel, large for "my boss won't send sick people home")

5. pour everclear & soap mix into bag until fabric is wet, but not dripping

6. drink remainder of everclear

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

Get better a better ad blocker and disable javascript. I also copy and pasted the article into the first post because yeah gently caress giving Forbes money.

Willfrey posted:

Your hand sanitizers are a fuckin retarded saftey blanket, real science confirms its full of poo poo.

gently caress off. Do not loving spread lovely misinformed bullshit without at least pointing to where you misread that poo poo so that others can go yep you failed to loving understand what was written good job. Was it this? Did you read this?

https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/show-me-the-science-hand-sanitizer.html

quote:

If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
Why? Many studies have found that sanitizers with an alcohol concentration between 60–95% are more effective at killing germs than those with a lower alcohol concentration or non-alcohol-based hand sanitizers 16,20. Hand sanitizers without 60-95% alcohol 1) may not work equally well for many types of germs; and 2) merely reduce the growth of germs rather than kill them outright.]

Did you fail to see this part? I think you did.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 12, 2020

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Klyith posted:

3. pour everclear into a large cup, add a generous squirt of dish detergent, and stir

4. put t-shirt pieces into a ziplock bag of whatever size (small for travel, large for "my boss won't send sick people home")

Cough syrup + henny + forget you’re hands are feculent. :shrug:.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Duck and Cover posted:

gently caress off. Do not loving spread lovely misinformed bullshit without at least pointing to where you misread that poo poo so that others can go yep you failed to loving understand what was written good job. Was it this? Did you read this?

otoh I'm betting that this idiot's knockoff juicero is not delivering enough alcohol to kill jack poo poo

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Duck and Cover posted:

Get better a better ad blocker and disable javascript. I also copy and pasted the article into the first post because yeah gently caress giving Forbes money.

Don’t tell me what to do then fix your op

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Willfrey posted:

Viruses with lipid envelopes such as HIV, Hep B/C, and yes, SARS-CoV-2 are fairly easily inactivated with 60ish%+ alcohol because it fucks up their coating. Hand sanitizers don't work against everything, but they do work against this thing.

Signed, a real science

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

hand sanitizer might slow this poo poo down a little bit in terms of community spread but most people are gonna get it or already have it from direct contact with an infected person hth

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Klyith posted:

otoh I'm betting that this idiot's knockoff juicero is not delivering enough alcohol to kill jack poo poo

Unless something they added to it prevents the 67% ethyl alcohol (or they're lying about how much it has) from working then it does indeed have enough alcohol. I mean capitalism sucks and all but that'd be incredibly bold to just not have the sanitizer part when selling hand sanitizer.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I'm pretty sure as soon as you accept venture capital your start-up is already in its death throes, the only question is how much of their money you can escape with

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I told my wife to get hand sanitizer a week and a half ago, she didn’t now it’s gone wtf

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Burt Sexual posted:

I told my wife to get hand sanitizer a week and a half ago, she didn’t now it’s gone wtf

She's trying to kill you.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
My boss ordered some from Amazon and said that when the envelope arrived, it contained nothing but a note that said "missing in transit" or something.

I ~supposedly~ have some coming in on Sunday. We'll see if the box just contains a rock with a "SUCK ON THIS!" note taped to it.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
DO NOT, my friends, become addicted to sanitizer. It will take hold of you and you will resent its absence.

I have an unopened 32oz sanitizer in my cubicle.

WHO RUN SANI-TOWN?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Duck and Cover posted:

Unless something they added to it prevents the 67% ethyl alcohol (or they're lying about how much it has) from working then it does indeed have enough alcohol. I mean capitalism sucks and all but that'd be incredibly bold to just not have the sanitizer part when selling hand sanitizer.

It's not the percent alcohol I'm skeptical of, it's the mist part.

You use hand sanitizer with a generous pump of goop, and then rub it into your skin. It needs to get into all the microscopic terrain of your skin to do the job, so you have get your hands mildly saturated.

quote:

The category was antiquated, offering harsh formulas that dry your skin, are very sticky and smell strongly of alcohol. There was room for a brand to build solutions to not only meet the functional needs of a sanitizing product, but to also take care of the skin.

That says to me that it isn't delivering enough alcohol to do the job. High concentration alcohol in the quantity needed to sanitize is rough on the skin, there's no magic way around that. A gentle mist that doesn't leave your hands super dry isn't penetrating into the skin.

The solution to your hands getting dried out from sanitizer (or just washing frequently with soap) is to also have some moisturizer around. And to not be the type of person who wants an iSanitizer.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Rub crack all over your hands every day. Any virus will quickly become addicted and literally fall off your hands.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Neutrino posted:

Rub crack all over your hands every day. Any virus will quickly become addicted and literally fall off your hands.

finally all the years of work are going to pay off

tough not to smoke that crack after washing my hands with it though

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
1 part piss
1 part vinegar
The secret recipe

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Piss on your hands, OP. It's sterile.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Zugzwang posted:

Viruses with lipid envelopes such as HIV, Hep B/C, and yes, SARS-CoV-2 are fairly easily inactivated with 60ish%+ alcohol because it fucks up their coating. Hand sanitizers don't work against everything, but they do work against this thing.

Signed, a real science

How does hand sanitizer protect you from an airborne illness, you hooking it to an inhaler?

Guess more experiments are needed

Guess I should have been more clear in my first hardcore badass pump and dump reply

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Zugzwang posted:

Signed, a real science
Post the exposure times for handwashing like log removal.

If your hands aren't spotless you gotta do sanitwice which is fake handwashing for 15 seconds and drying with your hand sanitizer, then reapplying for the instructed amount of time which is 30-60 seconds more. Who has time for that poo poo.

If you don't have clean running water, alcohol sanitizer can be an important source of hand cleanliness but you need to follow hand sanitizer specific instructions that are so long compliance is going to be iffy.

Willfrey posted:

How does hand sanitizer protect you from an airborne illness, you hooking it to an inhaler?

Guess more experiments are needed

Guess I should have been more clear in my first hardcore badass pump and dump reply
Viral infections being airborne is a little dramatic. If you aren't getting coughed on directly youre more worried about it being airborne until it lands on a surface you touch and contaminate your hands on.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Isn't rubbing hand sanitizer and alcohol all over every surface one of the ways we're already screwing ourselves over by breeding resistant superbugs? Forgive my callousness/stupidity but that seems worse than covid to me, a relatively dumb guy.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Nastyman posted:

Isn't rubbing hand sanitizer and alcohol all over every surface one of the ways we're already screwing ourselves over by breeding resistant superbugs? Forgive my callousness/stupidity but that seems worse than covid to me, a relatively dumb guy.
as I understand it, that concern is more to do with the proliferation of antibiotics, because antibiotics work, like, inside your body

like, bleach kills everything, and there are extremophile microorganisms. so say we accidentally breed bleach-resistant pathogens by using bleach too much
we don't treat pneumonia by pouring bleach on your lungs, and being strong against bleach doesn't make them any stronger against your immune system, so, not really an urgent concern

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Nastyman posted:

no, that's overuse of antibiotics in both people and livestock

using soap and alcohol to kill germs has no downside because most disease germs cannot evolve resistance to soap and alcohol no matter how hard they try, same as people will never evolve immunity to bullets

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
I see, thanks for the clarification.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You might be mixing it up with antibacterial soap. Best case the amount of time spent handwashing isn't thoroughly established as being long enough to have an antibacterial effect. Sitting in the drains on the other hand is long enough to cause an effect and is expected to be contributing to antibacterial resistance.

Worst case it's suspected of causing cancer. So probably don't buy it.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
I fart on my fists op

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

zedprime posted:

Post the exposure times for handwashing like log removal.

If your hands aren't spotless you gotta do sanitwice which is fake handwashing for 15 seconds and drying with your hand sanitizer, then reapplying for the instructed amount of time which is 30-60 seconds more. Who has time for that poo poo.

If you don't have clean running water, alcohol sanitizer can be an important source of hand cleanliness but you need to follow hand sanitizer specific instructions that are so long compliance is going to be iffy.
Yeah, I never said that it was perfect, just that it does have efficacy. I'll take it over nothing if I must go out of the house. And then I'll wash my drat hands thoroughly as soon as I do get in.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Sure loving reading about some business owner shithead rejoicing at profiting from catastrophe. Human garbage.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
i got coronovirus 3 years ago so im good now

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Burt Sexual posted:

The article itself is a loving ad.

I feel so dirty to have started reading it I have the urge to sanitize myself.
If only there was a convenient device I could do that with... that comes in beautiful colors, charming scents and is a real conversation piece... now what would such a device look like?
Let's ask lady Lisboa from sanitizer devices co!

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Klyith posted:

no, that's overuse of antibiotics in both people and livestock

using soap and alcohol to kill germs has no downside because most disease germs cannot evolve resistance to soap and alcohol no matter how hard they try, same as people will never evolve immunity to bullets

uhhhhhm i'm pretty sure there are several xmen who evolved bullet immunity

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If you start with small caliber you can eventually work up immunity to the big ones. It works exactly the same way as dildos!

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
You guys should see my poop.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Klyith posted:

Can I just refill my hand sanitizer pump dispenser with 190 proof?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
Introducing my exciting new product that disrupts heads from necks, the guillotine