Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I've been working from home, and it's been real busy, since I do IT support etc for my state's healthcare system. :( But that being said, in recent weeks I've still been able to smash out 100 hours of X4 Foundations and some Sea of Thieves with friends, so it's not all that bad, for me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Personally, lately I've been playing a lot of X4 Foundations. I was always a bit dubious/concerned about X-Rebirth (although nowadays it's meant to be good) after playing X3TC back in the day. But I'm 100% glad I jumped on X4, since it's definitely a more refined/accessible version of the best aspects of X3.

At this stage ingame, I've set myself up in my own private sector of space out in international watersspace, where all my stations are located. While I'm gallivanting about the galaxy shooting evil robots, evil bugs (not to mention I'm about to help in a civil war between racist space-protestants and less-racist space-catholics.) my factories are selling materials for building ships, solar energy and -of course- lots of space drugs. I've got a mega-factory set up producing space-weed, space-cocaine and space-moonshine. I'm not doing too bad money-wise, these days! :D

In other news, I hope you guys are doing OK! Things are returning to normal here, but it seems like the US-based imps here are probably still right in the thick of it. With both covid and protest action. Hopefully things calm down before long (and that your police forces see some reforms after this - I can't imagine having cops as brutal as that, over here)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

trying to jack off posted:

second wave lockdowns baby, gameing has never been better

Oh right, so you're in Vic, then? Things are going well covid-wise here in SA (I bet dandrews wishes he was here instead of over there, and is regretting his "why would we go to SA?" comments the other week! :D haha) so I've been back in the office after months of WFH, sadly. I hope you get in some solid gaming time in the coming weeks!

As for me though, in my (sadly small amount of) recent free time, I've been diving back into Cities: Skylines. I'm building a snowy city this time around, which hasn't been great for my citizens' energy consumption (and I'm going 100% green, so I'm constantly scrambling for more money to expand my windfarm). I'm trying to make the residental areas a bit more orderly and better-designed - especially with regards to suburbs adjacent to/connected to main roads. Trying to do a system with service roads and a nature strip between the houses and the main road, like what we have here in Adelaide.
It's still very early on in the game though, so I'll see how it goes! I'm also wondering if it's a good idea to get the Campus expansion, actually. I've got most of the other main ones (other than the green one. Not sure if I should get that. Probably, seeing as I'm trying to build a green city, after all :v: )

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

You can't mention this without pictures Major!

Hah! Very true - I should've known better! :D I'll try and remember to take a screenshot tonight/when I next play, once some more people have moved into the whole area I've built etc, so it's a little prettier to look at.

goferchan posted:

I don't know what makes me retarded with city builders now because I know I played Simcity 2k fine as a kid but I can't even make it through the Skylines tutorial now, lol. Just like connecting water and electricity to everything is too much for me

Yeah I dunno, CS seems to be a bit harder to start, compared to other city builders I played years ago (haven't played a non-CS builder since Simcity 2k either though, so I'm hardly a vet). What I tend to do though, is build up the infrastructure of an initial area that I plan on zoning (like, the size of a large suburb, or two regular suburbs I guess. Hopefully your suburb sizes are roughly the same size as mine, so that this actually makes sense and I'm not leading you astray! :v:) and then build water+power generation off to one side.

But yeah, so once that's done, I just blow the rest of my money on putting pipes throughout the whole area I've built roads for (so I won't have to build more, until after I already have a stable foundation of a town. Which I think is around when you get the first 'congrats!' milestone popup) and running power lines to the edge of the area. The trick is to go absolutely hog-wild on spending - blow ALL your money on this stuff, since you're guaranteed to go into the negatives anyway, early on.
Then once I've finished that, I just hit play, let people slowly move in (starting from the end with the power lines of course, heh) and wait until I go to something like -$10k I think it is, which will automatically fire a free loan of ~$50k. I use that to buy whatever else I happen to need (normally more power generation for my windfarm) and make sure to blow every cent again, since I'll still be losing money. Then just wait a while, zoning more as demands increase, then I quickly start making money and coming out of the negatives again.

If that's all that was keeping you away from CS, uou should really give it another go at some point, when you've got the time to spare! I quite like how creative you can get with everything, and how good a built-up city can look

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Alright, well as requested here are a couple of screenshots of my CS city - Iceburg. I've expanded a little more, so I'm now in a comfortable position, income-wise. But anyway, I won't clog up the page with IMG tags, so here are the links:

Standard view
Zone view

So yeah, at this stage the only way into the city is via a tunnel under my industrial zone, leading into the main roundabout. I'm gonna make a bridge/overpass with that western road and set up an outer suburb/satellite city by the lake over there, in the nearish future. I think I might also make a truck-only toll road leading from the industrial zone out to the main highway. (Probably the north-south one on the left. I'll have to add one of those massive, expensive T-junctions to be able to do it though)
Somewhere in the middle of that I'll turn the centre of the roundabout into a big fancy park I think, but I'm not 100% on that yet. The L-shaped bits surrounding it will eventually have bulky buildings like the hospital, police headquarters, etc. I think. Not certain yet, though - I'm mostly just playing it by ear at this point, rather than actually planning ahead like what a civil engineer should actually be doing, haha

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Fungah! posted:

drat, i like that roundabout in the middle. probably a traffic nightmare but aesthetically drat good

Ah, well it actually ends up being pretty effective, to be honest! Especially since I've ulgraded it to be a highway - so everyone just whizzes around at lightspeed, before turning off it, without slowing down! :D It's even OK with all the trucks going through it - although I expect that'll gradually become a problem as I expand. But once I build the extra truck-only road onto the highway, I should be pretty good.

Arrhythmia posted:

Very cool. Looks a little half dressed though, something nice definitely needs to go inside the roundabout. I'll post some pics of my last city once I'm home.

Oh yeah for sure - it's definitely a bit of an eyesore right now. I haven't been game enough to make a nature reserve in there yet (never done it before) but I'll give it a go soon. That or a theme park maybe.
And sounds good! I'm definitely interested to see how others here build their cities

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Oh wow, yeah those look great! I like that forked main road, too - having everything spread out is a good idea, for a good-looking result. I guess the added road costs and pipes might make early-game a bit more costly, right? Definitely worth it though
I like having river-straddling cities like the first one, too - with a few bridges in between. I think once I've finished this city, I'll see if I can find a cool custom map and do a Manhattan-like city.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Hmm, now that I've had some time to think about it on the bus*, I'm wondering if (once I've fleshed-out the suburb I've just built, and made another couple to the west, so that it's roughly symmetrical with the eastern side) I should rip up that main road through the centre of the north, replace it with a highway, then extend it north through a big CBD packed chock-full of offices and high-density commercial areas. Maybe with a big 'NYC central park' kind of deal in the middle, which the highway goes around. Then have the highway eventually extend north-west and link up with that north-south highway on the left? Hmm...

* Speaking of which, if/when you have time, would you be able to show me the public transport networks for your amazing city, Arrhythmia? No pressure or anything, though. I'm just quite curious about how you've optimized it, and how dense/sparse your bus routes etc. are.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
drat, it's sounding like I should really give Disco Elysium a go, sometime. How long is a typical playthrough, if you don't mind me asking?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Can I just say that I love your username+av/title combo? :D

Also, I'd forgotten about Vamp being bi - I remember that codec convo with Snake now though, haha
But yeah, I love it how Vamp is legitimately not a vampire at all...he's just some regular ol' bi Romanian guy who, by pure happenstance, obtained vampiric-like powers from nanomachines and whatnot, later in life. :D I think I also remember reading that he was in love with Fortune's dad too, or something? I think it was something mentioned in passing, in relation to the tanker mission, but I could be way off.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 13, 2020

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Wormskull posted:

That's nanomachines bro. Did you even pay attention to the lore.

I hate to go against a fellow Aussie, but Wormskull's right. He's just a regular guy who happened to obtain a blood addiction due to a traumatic childhood event. He also later got some super good nanomachines, which lets him survive being shot in the head multiple times, run on water, etc. Perfectly standard fare, for MGS! :v:

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 13, 2020

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

if you walked in on you friend drinking blood from someones neck your not going to call them bisexual

Well hey, they might be! :D But I mean, a vampire is a creature of myth/folklore. That's like saying a person with only one eye is a legit cyclops, like from the old Greek myths. Sure there's some superficial resemblance, but there's more to it than just that.
You can't just go around calling bi guys vampires, geez

Knuc U Kinte posted:

He’s a bisexual man that happens to drink blood. Case closed

:hai:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

The Klowner posted:

I love you major but we've got an imp here who hasn't played The game in two decades and they're going for a fresh experience. Please edit your posts of you'd be so kind.

oops, sorry about that! I must've missed that part. I've edited my posts with spoiler tags, although it's probably already too late... :shobon:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Just lolling as I equip the garlic camo I got for tranquing Alucard and beating Dracula’s rear end

:emptyquote:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

yeah because he's not a vampire

:hai:

In other news, I haven't been gaming too much, the last week or so. I've done a few missions in Hitman 2 (seeing as the preview material for Hitman 3 has gotten me feeling like more) but I've mostly been playing quick card and tile games, if anything. (Cockroach Poker, Uno, Hey That's My Fish) Hopefully I'll have some more time on my hands for gaming, after this week

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

In Training posted:

my computer just died. now I need to remember how computers work and then learn how to troubleshoot them. This is gonna be awesome.

I hope you can get it up and running ASAP! It's always a pain when that happens, and the issue lingers.

Anyway, I haven't been able to do much gaming (HEAPS of work at the moment, which is wuite annoying for me) aside from a tiny bit of Sea of Thieves last night. Mostly I've just been playing some board games at home, when there's some spare time.

Speaking of which, I'm not sure if anyone else uses it, but all year I've been tracking my games/plays with ScorePal. (What can I say, I like statistics! :D ) And after a massive lull when covid first hit Aus, I'm actually back on track for the 365 plays in 365 days challenge.
Never thought I'd pull it off, but apparently I've played just shy of 280 plays already, this year! Should be able to make it, at this rate. Hopefully you guys have been able to game (both online and in person) a lot with friends, this year. It's definitely good to be social, whenever/however possible, this year

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

fadam posted:

Came down with a flu today. Ended up getting Covid tested. I hope I feel better tomorrow so I can take advantage of the day off work and make a dent in FFVI.

I hope you feel better soon. And yeah, might as well make use of the second day off, if you can! :D

As for me, I've been playing a bit of Disco Elysium in between work. It's pretty good! I've just passed the merc tribunal. All of the mercs are dead and I was shot in the leg. Kim's alright though, so we're off to finish this thing.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

fadam posted:

Just tested negative for Covid! Gonna celebrate by running around on the Veldt for a bit.

Nice - congrats! That's great news

As for me, I'm about to play Fury of Dracula in TTS, to try and beat up Infinitum. I'm pretty inexperienced at the game, so we'll see - I'll probably did horribly, but it'll be fun nonetheless :D

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

fadam posted:

Thanks and good luck! Is TTS good at fiddly games like that?

Oh yeah, it's generally quite good. Most complicated games tend to have a lot of scripting in-place, for the various actions. So our practice game yesterday ended up being quite easy/stress-free, in that regard

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Smirking_Serpent posted:

stay safe, gamers

:emptyquote:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

fadam posted:

Thanks and good luck! Is TTS good at fiddly games like that?

Well, we won in the end, so Infinitum/Dracula has eaten a 30 day probation. (So naturally I had to modify my av to be Van Helsing-themed, haha - I'm not sure if a giant garlic bulb is better or worse than the origianl bomb though :D )
Took nearly four hours in the end, and we got very lucky. I was running off beginner's luck alone, I feel! Since I managed to find where Dracula was turn 2, then inadvertently cut off his escape route much later in the game, then (after the others did all of the work hurting Drac and his minions, which I feel a little bad about) claimed the glory by punching Drac/Infinitum in the face. :D

After all that I feel a strong urge to buy Fury of Dracula now...although I doubt I'd be able to get five people to the table for a 2-4 hour game anytime soon, sadly. Otherwise, I haven't done a lot since then - as that was half my day, heh. Played some Kingdomino, but that's about it. Might play some R6 Siege later

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Nov 1, 2020

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Well, we're in lockdown again here in South Australia for at least a week. Nothing major at this stage - just a couple dozen cases, so the lockdown is to try and curb any further spread. So hopefully in a week's time, we'll be back to normal!
In the meantime though, seeing as I'm WFH, not a huge amount is changing...hopefully some more R6 Siege and Among Us is on the horizon, though! :D

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

In Training posted:

Among Us has been good poo poo with my non-gaming friends who are learning how to use Discord this year.

Oh yeah, it's a great little game, that's for sure! Hopefully it acts as a 'gateway game' and gets more people into gaming in general, too. That'd be pretty cool

been watching it unfold and thinking of you major :patriot:

Hey, thanks! It's good to see that the east as a whole has been improving a lot lately, too. Hopefully this dies down and we can get back being (somewhat) ahead of the curve, covid-wise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

:cheers: game on, imps!