Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.
Count me in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

xopods posted:

I'm amazed the extent to which it's still the same old gang playing this game all these years later. I was expecting to come back and not know anyone.

I felt the same. It's pretty amazing how many of us there are.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Monathin posted:

Y'all are making it really loving hard to take a break from Mafia, y'know that right.

In.

We can vote you out day 1 to make it easier.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Monathin posted:

Jokes on you, if I get scum I'll post my are role PM and save y'all the trouble! :suicide:

announcing it pre-game. thunderdome between myself and mona.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

##vote Amnistar

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 16, 2020

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Oh god that made me laugh. Well played.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Confirming. I did not get a sword-gun.

I demand a refund.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Monathin posted:

Confirming that I'm going to ##vote amnistar

##vote mona

Let the thunderdome begin.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

xopods posted:

Yeah, I don't know how the encounters are expected to play out because I haven't played previous games in this series. But the math is easy and doesn't require discussion once the plan is made... a normal 16-player setup would probably have 12 Town, maybe 11. Just take 12 as your starting assumption cause we're hedging a bit anyway, and then subtract any Town flips we see.

Then we'll be told how many Attacks are needed. Even if the thread is closed by the time we're told that, you can do the math yourself. Say we lynch a Townie on D1, and the encounter is Power 4. You just go: 4/(12-1) = 36%. So, okay, everyone should be attacking at least 36% of the time.

Then you hedge based on how important you feel it is that you, personally, do something other than Attack. If you think it's potentially very useful, then you attack 36% and do whatever it is 64%. If you have no other option besides drawing, you add maybe 20% and attack 56%, draw 44%. If you have something somewhat useful but not super important, then go somewhere in between.

I mean, maybe it works out almost the same if everyone just does what they think is best, but I'm worried that Drawing seems more fun than Attacking and we might get too many people doing the former N1 and then overcorrecting on N2 after we lose the first encounter, or whatever.

Makes sense to me. I would argue to increase the number of town needed by 2 when setting up the ratio. That way if scum have some way of stopping people from attacking, we would have slightly more attackers than we need.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Squiggly posted:

Is this an actual thing

I remember getting into trouble years ago because Xopods and myself would go off on tangents talking about set-up or game theory?

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Squiggly posted:

Wouldn't it be more helpful to treat it as a type of cop madness game where people are assigned to attack (similar to assigning people to investigate) and if the encounter fails we have a short list to start with than just saying here are the odds trust you guys to not greedily go for drawing power roles

Also just gently caress me now I'm doing setup spec :bang:

Create a randomized list of all players, and say everyone on the list above the number + 2 submit attack, full stop. If we lose, then someone hosed us over?

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Grandicap posted:

We should also not claim what we are doing at night, people who draw are going to be powerroles, no reason to give who is a powerrole to the scum team.

Oh...yea this is a super valid reason not to do a list of who is participating in combat and who isn't.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I'm glad we've worked this out. Back to the thunderdome between myself and Mona please.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Jen X posted:

Ok

##vote amni

Jen...I gave you grapes....

Why!?

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Quidthulhu posted:

Just noticed the pronouns in the OP! Thanks CPig! I'm he/him :)

It's not Cpig, it's in votefinder!

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Oh we're in serious chat? Boo get back to joke phase

I believe this is Debt's first mafia game, so as mentioned before in prev games I have a personal policy of not voting newbies D1 (unless they do something super obviously scummy)

re:Gaming the system. I am 100% for it, with my only preference being we should start this from Day 2-3 onwards so people have the opportunity to do what the want the first night. Will agree to do whatever the group consensus is though

##vote Infinitum

1.) "Waaaah joke phase!"
2.) "That is scummy, but I'm going to excuse it."
3.) Game Mechanics discussion

I'm good with this vote.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Amnistar posted:

##vote Infinitum

1.) "Waaaah joke phase!"
2.) "That is scummy, but I'm going to excuse it."
3.) Game Mechanics discussion

I'm good with this vote.

2 is admittedly weak, and I agree with the newbie pass as a concept, but in total that post is garbage.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Infinitum posted:

1.) lol
2.) I never said anything about scummy, so also lol
3.) Game mechanics discussion is cool and good.

Like if you want to get voted Amni I'm happy to do so

It's not the greatest case, but it's a solid place to start day 1.

Infinitum posted:

No response to a wafer thin point?

##vote Amni

Ah...yea...I am definately happy now with my vote.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Monathin posted:

I'm almpst done woth work but I want everyone to know Amni blinked first in our joke thunderdome and that is at least a little scummy.

I'll read through the weeds when I get out of work.

I am sorry, I found scum, so I had to call off the thunderdome.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Infinitum posted:

I'll get to your first comment in a moment, but as for your second here's the OMGUS entry so you can read up on what it actually is.

I'm not voting you in retaliation, I am voting you because your reasoning doesn't hold water and you misrepresented what I wrote and attempted to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Now that I'm not on mobile at work I'll properly respond to your post.

1.) I always like joke phase. If we are talking meta, I have a history of being bummed when joke phase ends. So you first point is a nothing arguement
2.) You've misrespresented what I stated, and I would like you to show me where I said "I am going to excuse scummy behaviour". What I actually said was if Debt showed blatantly obvious signs of being scum I WOULD vote them D1. Again if you are talking meta, I have a history of pointing out my personal policy of not voting off new players D1 as I don't want to scare them off playing more rounds. You lied about what I said.
3.) I'm sorry that you think discussion on how best to game the system to towns benefit is scummy behaviour

I would very much like you to explain you reasoning, as I gave you adequate time to do so the first time (Though I do admit I didn't request it the first time)

AGAIN you lied and misrepresented my posts which is why you were voted. It was not an OMGUS vote, and your points don't even hold water.
Calling your case 'a solid place to start for D1' is laughable, though it did draw some interesting responses

1) Liking Joke phase isn't an issue. Bitching about it being over is scum behavior. Don't sign up to play mafia if you're gonna get made when we're done joking around and play mafia. People pushing for joke phase to continue after it has been finished are helping the scum team.
2.) You said you wouldn't vote someeone because they were new. By itself I don't have a problem with the stance, and agree with it, but that was your sole contribution to scum hunting at that point. To excuse a newbie player. That's also helping the scum team.
3.) Again, you're not scum hunting, you're talking about game mechanics after everyone got it out of there system and moved away from it.

All together the post I quoted was you pulling the thread away from playing mafia and into mechanics or joke phase. That is why I voted you.

I am happy with my vote because you then vote me, without provding "adequate time" for a response . You waited 30 minutes, and dropped a vote on me. You clearly wanted to vote me, and didn't actually care what my response was.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Talk about misrepresenting things...

I'm voting for you because you posted in the thread when people were beginning to get serious and play mafia with a post that was not serious and not plying mafia. It's that simple.

I'm *still* voting for you because you feel like 30 minutes, when no one else posts in the thread, is 'ample time' to respond to a question and throw out a vote. That isn't the stance of someone that actually wants answers and will listen to them. That is the stance of someone that is ready to vote and is impatient. You don't care about my responses, you just wanted to vote me.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Based on the events gonna say:

Sandwolf feels town.

Xopods/Opop/Grandi are not scum together. One of them could be, but I can't see those conversations happening

ASF - I'm not sure one. I can see what they're saying, but it only makes sense if you think Infi is town, which ASF doesn't seem to think?

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Monathin posted:

It was a failed thunderdome, yes. But see my case above. I believe I gleaned a fair bit from how it 'failed'.

I....uh...were you expecting an actual thunderdome? Because I was just continuing the joke from pre-game into game and dropped it when I could actually play mafia.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Monathin posted:

I assumed if you were going to carry it into the game beyond jokephase - since you didn't drop it until after mechanicschat, you would have been casing me.

In addition, the fact that you called attention back to it tells me you did plan to continue our funderdome until it looked like you might be signing your own death.

I promise you, Jen voting for me did not suddenly make me ponder my own mortality. I brought it back up as a buffer against the mechanics chat that was dragging the thread down (and yes I realize I was one of the guilty party). I figured getting people to stop talking about mechanics would help get us into talking about things that can be read for alignment, and as part of the problem I should be part of the solution. So, brought the thunderdome to the forefront and joked with jen about the caesar game briefly. Then saw a post that I thought was scummy and move to it.

Toalpaz posted:

yeah, why didn't you actually thunderdome mona (this matters)

Because thunderdoming someone before the game starts is dumb.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Why the hell would I case you for a joke vote Mona?

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Monathin posted:

Were you not trying to fish for reactions to the thunderdome? That is what I assumed the play would be. You could have continued it well past mechanicschat, but decided to switch to Inf. If you just wanted to play it off as 'a joke' you could have done any number of things to just drop the Thunderdome outright.

It didn't register to me as important because it was just a joke?

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Monathin posted:

I've been scum in how many games now? And I was awat from the thread for a whole day. Big opportunity to case me considering I had barely interacted up until that point.

That's a fallacy that I work really hard to avoid when I play mafia.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Monathin posted:

This actually isn't a bad point though it does conflict with my Amni case (in that I don't think they would be scum together). I'd vote to avoid a NL though as it'd be indicative of Amni either way which is my primary case atm

Amnistar posted:

Talk about misrepresenting things...

I'm voting for you because you posted in the thread when people were beginning to get serious and play mafia with a post that was not serious and not plying mafia. It's that simple.

I'm *still* voting for you because you feel like 30 minutes, when no one else posts in the thread, is 'ample time' to respond to a question and throw out a vote. That isn't the stance of someone that actually wants answers and will listen to them. That is the stance of someone that is ready to vote and is impatient. You don't care about my responses, you just wanted to vote me.

So....you don't read any of my posts that happened after your narrative?

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Grandicap posted:

RF is at -1.

Yea...I'm being made uncomfortable with how pressure is being applied to Infi as RF is getting close to being the target of the day.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Have you read my response where I showed it was a laughable case that misrepresented what I had stated?

What are your thoughts on the case? You're shifting the discussion onto someone else instead of engaging with the discussion

But then poo poo like this makes me more comfortable.

The case on you isn't really that first post...or at least it isn't for me. It's the second post and you doubling down on the "ample time to respond".

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Feels like scum is on the hook and they're just pushing hard to not have RF flip.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Toalpaz posted:

rf is at -1, who's scum on infi vote then

If RF flips scum? You, probably.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Grandicap posted:

Yes Amni, give in to those doubts and hop over to the RF vote. Search your feelings, you know him to be scum.

yea...

##unvote

consider my vote on RF. Gonna hold off to see if RF wants to claim, but the lack of a hammer at -1, and the way infi grew quick near deadline is enough to convince me.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Quidthulhu posted:

Who do you think is scum beyond connecting unflipped players

A whole bunch of people offering conditional opinions they can easily back out of like this, THAT looks scummy af

I've got a post that talks about that? and right now I'm leaning towards RF because of how people are voting when they're on the block.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

xopods posted:

Why are people acting like the lack of a turbo-hammer when someone's at -1 on D1 means anything about their alignment? Scum may or may not cast the hammering vote on a Townie, but they're not going to gleefully do it early in the game without giving the person a chance to claim. They're also just as likely to hammer a buddy they think is doomed anyway as they are to finish off a Townie.

Not strictly the lack of hammer, it's the lack of hammer combined with the growth of infi as we neared the deadline.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

xopods posted:

This describes D1 of at least like 50% of Mafia games though. Townies who aren't particularly sold on the current vote leader will often congregate around the runner up in order to avoid feeling like they're being forced into a lynch they didn't want. Even if they're not actually that much more sold on the runner up either. I almost voted Infi myself for basically that emotional reason.

How many of them end up with all but 1 person voting and no cuddle target picked?

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

xopods posted:

Sorry, Non-Ethnically Specific Organized Crime Ring.

Thank you.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Hal Incandenza posted:

Who isn't voting? And who starts a game with an even number of players wtf

I'm hoplding my vote to see if RF is going to claim?

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Hal Incandenza posted:

My understanding from the OP is people don't really have roles until they draw things, right? So what can he really claim?

...ah. I'm too used to normal mafia. ##vote rf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Squiggly posted:

How many of you still have to go to work? I work with special needs so I'm always on but wondering how the rest of you are faring

I still have to work, but I'm in IT so it's all doable remotely.