Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The big thing that makes shotgun guys dangerous is that they're hitscan weapons, so it is impossible to dodge their shots after they're fired the way you can with Imp fireballs.

This isn't so bad when you're facing them head on, because dodging can spoil their aim before they shoot, but situations like at the end of the video where they open up on you from nowhere can really ruin your day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

For anyone who hasn't read it, Masters Of Doom is a very good telling of the story of ID Software's early days up until after Romero left. The creation of DooM is, of course, the centerpoint of the story.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

The Lone Badger posted:

The most difficult part about going back to DOOM is no fricking crosshair.

If that bothers you, every source port has an option to add one.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Monsters of the same type can infight with melee attacks, you just rarely see this, and when you do it is with melee-only monsters such as the Pinky, because it is really hard to get two imps to aggro each other. I've been playing for years and only seen it two or three times with ranged-capable enemies.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

DooM always had save-anywhere. What the source ports add is an autosave at the start of every level so you never get forced into a pistol start.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

It is always worth checking out Brutal Doom as far as mods go, even if the creator's on the garbage side.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Crazy Achmed posted:

There always seems to have been a desire within id software to make role-playing games, although they were never known for it at all.

According to Masters of DooM, one of the early "John Romero is an rear end in a top hat" moments at ID was when Romero wrecked a DND campaign to get a cool sword for his character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I think what made ID work was their willingness to "shoot the engineer", with Romero as the engineer in question. Romero was exactly the sort who would continually push for more - there's a story about him reworking Daikatana mid-project because he wanted to include features from a Quake II demo he saw at a trade show. Meanwhile the rest of ID's staff was perfectly happy to cut off development at a certain point and "ship" it - declare that this is where we're going with this project, so finish the levels and go to bugtesting. There's an interesting parallel with Duke Nukem Forever, which was a disaster largely because the developers kept wanting to add more.