Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

STAC Goat posted:

I voted before watching Prom Night 2. But then I watched it, and Prom Night. I actually liked Prom Night more. A slasher I enjoyed and thought was very well done. Prom Night 2 is a trip. Not a good film, maybe a bad film, certainly a messy film, but a fun film.

Now Tremors is a good and fun film. And I get some enjoyment from some of the sequels. But that 1/2 for Prom Night I do believe has flipped my vote in the 11th hour. If I were just judging Tremors vs the two I'd pick Tremors. One good and fun movie over one good movie and one fun movie. If I could only watch either ever again it would be Tremors. But this is comparing franchises and in that case I think I have to go with the simple 2>1 math.

But there are more Tremors movies that are good than just 1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sarx posted:

I've only seen the second and don't remember thinking it much better than "ok". If I had more time I'd dig into them but time is our enemy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Sarx posted:

The first Tremors is a LOT better than Prom Night 1 or 2 though. Not just as good or a little better. A lot better. It's one of the best monster movies ever made.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

The first Tremors is a LOT better than Prom Night 1 or 2 though. Not just as good or a little better. A lot better. It's one of the best monster movies ever made.

Tremors 2 is also better than Prom Night.

Tremors 3 is also better than Prom Night.

It's me, I'm the person that doesn't like Prom Night.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Results!

Halloween, as expected, blew out Witchcraft. Blair Witch managed to hang on vs Duane and Belial.

It was close, but TCM has more and better sequels than JAWS. The Critters are ugly motherfuckers, but not as ugly or mother-loving as the Predator.

Dracula takes down Sil, and Prom Night didn't have enough rear end Blasters to overcome Tremors.

Pumpkin is a bad dumb franchise that isn't any good. It's still better than Children of the Corn, though. And The Omen didn't even make a snack for Lecter to devour.

Final knockout round: Springwood Division (imo the strongest division overall) in a few minutes!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Every one of my choices won that round, hell yea.

If I find out the person who voted against Halloween I'm coming after them though.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Springwood Division! This is the final knockout round. After this, we'll slow down and give people a chance to really dig in to the remaining franchises now that the chaff is swept away. I expect choices to get a lot harder after this round. :siren: VOTE HERE - VOTING ENDS 4/7!!

The Springwood Slasher himself vs. The Tall Man. Ball with blades vs Glove with blades, who ya got?

Two franchises that didn't overstay their welcome and don't have a decade of dreck dragging them down. Tony Todd is iconic but Ju-On is loving terrifying.

Resident Evil movies are loving bonkers and Milla Jovavich is honestly a better actress than people realize. On the other hand, Scream is Scream.

Much like Leprechaun vs Puppet Master, this was a random pairing that just happens to make sense. Let's not forget that our lord and savior, Academy Award Winner GDT made Blade 2.

Sleepaway Camp owns maybe one of the best twists of any franchise ever. But Army of Darkness has Ash Williams vs the Deadites.

I legitimately think Bloodrayne could take this one. The Conjuring is bullshit awful jump-scare-a-palooza, and Jeepers Creepers, while very good, is made by a pederast.

From Dusk Till Dawn vs Paranormal Activity. Both of these have an absolutely brilliant first entry and then go right off a cliff.

"You opened the box. We came." vs "They're heeee-reeee."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
NOES vs. Phantasm is tougher for me than probably most other people. I'm really not a huge Freddy fan, between both franchises Phantasm is probably my favorite movie of the whole bunch.

I think a few of the NOES sequels will put it over the top for me though, after Phantasm 2 those sequels get pretty dire. Phantasm doesn't have any sequels as good as Dream Warriors or even New Nightmare.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

NOES vs. Phantasm is tougher for me than probably most other people. I'm really not a huge Freddy fan, between both franchises Phantasm is probably my favorite movie of the whole bunch.

I think a few of the NOES sequels will put it over the top for me though, after Phantasm 2 those sequels get pretty dire. Phantasm doesn't have any sequels as good as Dream Warriors or even New Nightmare.
Further complicating things, both movies have at least 1 film that has a rap over the end credits explaining the plot of the movie.

Reminder there's a letterboxd list if you want to keep track there too.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I think we're due for an upset of the #1 seed and Phantasm is the series to do it. As fun as Freddy is as a villain, the sequels reach a true rock bottom of garbage after a certain point.

But Phantasm. Nightmare on Elm Street may be the series about dreams, but Phantasm truly embodies dream logic. There's possibly not a more confounding, bizarre, audacious franchise this long running. It operates on another plain of logic, one that is so intriguing and creepy and fun. Even the bad movies are good! Let's win one for The Tall Man!

Edit: A fun personal anecdote about Phantasm. I saw the fourth film first. My ex-girlfriend was not much of a horror movie fan, but happened to really like Phantasm cause she saw it by chance on TV one time and want to show me. I tried to get a copy from the library but either because I screwed up the request or they screwed up filling it I actually got Phantasm IV: Oblivion. We decided to watch it anyway and I was completely baffled, just had no clue who or what anything was. So I instantly tracked down the original film and watched it and...it didn't help me understand anything at all. God what a wonderful series.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 3, 2020

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
The first Conjuring is a good movie, the sequel is bad but with one really good scene, and the others I’ve seen are really lame. I like Jeepers Creepers well enough (the first two at least, haven’t seen 3) although they aren’t amazing. Jeepers wins out as a franchise since there are just so many bad Conjuring sequels.

Hellraiser probably wins out over Poltergeist just based on the first two films, even though it has a lot of terrible sequels that pull the overall series average down. Poltergeist is good but not on the same level.

Also I confess I’ve only seen the first Phantasm movie, I should try to watch some more before voting!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

gey muckle mowser posted:

Also I confess I’ve only seen the first Phantasm movie, I should try to watch some more before voting!

Definitely at least watch Phantasm II. It's an Evil Dead 2/Hellraiser 2 level sequel. Everything great about the original but bigger.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
Edit: I am dumb and could have just read to see that yes, The Conjuring does include Annabelle, Nun, etc.

Also, is Blade even a horror franchise?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Sarx posted:

Edit: I am dumb and could have just read to see that yes, The Conjuring does include Annabelle, Nun, etc.

Also, is Blade even a horror franchise?

It had a TV series and it has multiple films and it about Vampires and killing of those vampires. Fits in the sub category of Action Horror.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Basebf555 posted:

Definitely at least watch Phantasm II. It's an Evil Dead 2/Hellraiser 2 level sequel. Everything great about the original but bigger.

I liked Phantasm III better than II because the lead had, like, negative charisma in 2. III embraces the camp more too.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

TrixRabbi posted:

I think we're due for an upset of the #1 seed and Phantasm is the series to do it. As fun as Freddy is as a villain, the sequels reach a true rock bottom of garbage after a certain point.
Yeah but there isn't really a Freddy movie that doesn't have at least something of value besides the remake. The problem is honestly that Dream Warriors is very much the natural conclusion of the series. Like Friday Part 6, anything else seems superfluous, but they do try. And Freddy ihe greatest slasher of all time.

I struggled with Evil Dead and Sleepaway camp. I love the first one but it's too gross--not in a fun way--of a movie, and Return to... is one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

I stared at Hellraiser and Poltergeist for longer than I thought I would. I tend to grade on highs more than an average, and I do think that Hellbound is a better sequel than Poltergeist II. I'd probably put Hellraiser III and Bloodlines over Poltergeist III as well. But Poltergeist is a masterpiece in a way Hellraiser can never be and the sequels never dip to such low depths.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The Phantasm sequels are mediocre at best. NOES is gonna destroy it. NOES has 4 Entries of Excellent as good if not better than the original and 2 now Cult Classic films.

NOES - C
NOES 2
NOES 3
New Nightmare
Freddy V Jason if that counts.

It just no contest. Especially with NOES 2 in there. As its gained as much attention now as the original. There's literally scholarly articles now written about NOES 2.

Just

No

Way

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
It looks like I'm gonna have a few mini-marathons ahead of me before I vote. There's a few series involved with sequels I'm unfamiliar with.

Nightmare on Elm Street is gonna be pretty hard to beat. I could happily watch Elm Streets 1-4 pretty much anytime, and they're great under any context. I also have watched Freddy Vs. Jason a lot. So that's 5 fun movies, which'll be tough to beat. I need to revisit New Nightmare, though.

edit: I think the secret underdog here, one that's bound to upset a bunch of favorites, is Evil Dead. That's FOUR great movies, three of which have been classics since release. And whether or not it counts in the voting, it even somehow broke the curse of a mediocre television show based off a franchise with Ash vs Evil Dead, which never had a bad season.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 3, 2020

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Gonna break some hearts and vote for Hellraiser over Poltergiest. Everything after Hellraiser: Bloodlines is borderline unwatchable, but I've only seen the first Poltergeist and I wasn't super into it. Meanwhile, the first two Hellraisers are legitimately great films and 3 is at least gloriously bad.

Also going for Resident Evil over Scream, because I just never really got into that kind of self-referential stuff.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

The only one of these that's really tough is NoES vs. Phantasm, and I have to give the nod to Phantasm. Even when the quality starts to suffer the movies are full of ideas and clearly have a lot of genuine passion put into them. NoES has some fantastic highs, but as was mentioned everything after Dream Warriors is forced at best (even when that ends up working out ok, like FvJ). If the franchise had managed to hold on to the quality and quantity of ideas being thrown around in the first three movies it would be a blowout in favor of NoES, but it really really didn't.

I really wish RE was up against Blade instead of Scream, because I fuckin' hate voting for Blade and not voting for RE, but that's how the matchups worked out.

Poltergeist vs. Hellraiser is the easiest call in the world in favor of Hellraiser - the first two movies are so good that it doesn't matter how many or how bad the sequels, the franchise is secure.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I don't mind the Conjuring film's so much and Jeepers Creepers should never have existed in the first place, so that's a pretty easy choice for me. I know I'll be pissing in the wind here but I'm going Phantasm over NOES, I just enjoy those movies more. The only one I'm not sure about is Ju-on vs. Candyman. I know I've seen several movies in both franchises but I really only can remember the first one of each.

Franchescanado posted:

edit: I think the secret underdog here, one that's bound to upset a bunch of favorites, is Evil Dead. That's FOUR great movies, three of which have been classics since release. And whether or not it counts in the voting, it even somehow broke the curse of a mediocre television show based off a franchise with Ash vs Evil Dead, which never had a bad season.

And it's incredibly influential. Personally I don't think there's anything except maybe the Universal Monsters that I would put over it in this contest.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

God, I hope we get a Candyman vs. Scream matchup down the line - one of my best friends and I agree on most movie things, but the two horror ones we're firmly on different teams on are that and It Follows vs. The Babadook.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Anyone who votes Phantasm is a moron.

I hate the Phantasm franchise and I think the people who made Phantasm didn't actually know how to make movies or have anyone who knew anything about movies involved, because that way I'm a little more forgiving of the plot beat of "oh no, jawas are stealing our dead bodies! I need to team up with the only ice-cream-truck-driver-with-a-skullet who isn't the creepy chomo in cinema history to stop them!"

Like, I get that it's supposed to be ethereal dream logic, not a straight narrative, but that doesn't come through and I don't think it works.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If Nightmare loses I riot. I like Phantasm. Its a haunting, ethereal, deeply personal little film. Its the sort of film about loss and grief and sadness that feels like its coming from a very real place. And I respect that Coscarelli had ideas and just went for them with reckless abandon, even if he stole half of them from the Dark Tower books and Star Wars. But as a franchise its all an incomprehensible mess. Its just ideas a kid would like thrown into a story by someone who has no idea how to write a story. Say what you will about the Nightmare sequels but Nightmare, Dream Warriors, and New Nightmare is a trilogy that can match up against anything and pretty much all the other Nightmares have SOMETHING at least on par with the ideas-without-comprehensible-story in Phantasm.

Candyman vs Ju-On is actually a little tough. there's probably more good films in Ju-On but like... I cant vote against Candyman in the first round.

I have a soft spot for Resident Evil. The sequels are all trash but they can be fun trash and I actually mostly like the first film. But its Scream. And while 2 is mostly half a good film and 3 is kinda a weird lovely spoof that doesn't commit I really liked 4.

Conjuring movies are really perfectly fine. They're not great or anything but like, they're fine. Jeepers Creepers was also perfectly fine but I hated the second one and now that I know they're made by a pedophile or something they can all gently caress off.

From Dusk Til Dawn is real good, probably better than Paranormal Activity, but its sequels are pretty trash. I even rewatched the old west one a couple of weeks ago randomly and seriously, they're DTV trash. The PA sequels have diminishing returns and the story gets weird but I largely enjoyed that franchise and binged it all in one October. And like the story at least makes SOME kind fosense. I like the Paranormal Activity franchise.

Despite the intense drop in quality and very low quality rate of the Hellraiser franchise as a whole I think the strength of the first two films really carries it and beats out Poltergeist, which is a great film but its sequels are at best mediocre with some fun scenes/effects. So I'm going back to 2 vs 1 over % levels.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Doesn't Ju-On have like 36 movies in its franchise or some weird interconnected movie poo poo.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Holy moly I missed this thread. Voted in the current round.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hollismason posted:

Doesn't Ju-On have like 36 movies in its franchise or some weird interconnected movie poo poo.

Wiki says there's 13 films including a "Freddy vs Jason" esque crossover where the creepy boy fought the creepy girl from the Ring/Ringu. I considered trying to binge through it at one point but mapping it alone seemed completely impossible even without figuring out how to watch everything.

So yeah, its weird to compare it to Candyman in a sense of "not dragging on" but then again I haven't seen that TWO decades of Ju-On films so maybe they didn't actually "drag"?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Look I'm going to be real, when all is said and done, there is a really clear winner to this: The Universal Horror Movies. Films that were milestone for not just horror but film in general. I mean Bella Lugosi got on screen and gave the rest of film a crash course in villainy. Frankenstein and Bride are loving beautiful and subversive. The Mummy is a proto-slasher. The Wolfman and the Creature are iconic designs. And that's only scratching the surface. The only thing I'd really be okay overtaking it is Romero Zombies. And I have soft spots for other stuff. Scream is my favorite movie and I'm a Friday the 13th guy.

But when we consider horror franchises, A Nightmare on Elm Street is the MOST a franchise. Not in the Witchcraft sense of having too many movies or the Saw sense on losing itself in lore. With a below .500 record, Freddy films may not all be great, but goddamn are they cohesive. Halloween, Child's Play, and Friday the 13th all got lost figuring out what their deal is or how to move forward. Jason isn't really Jason till Part IV. But Freddy is the greatest horror villain ever, a perfect balance of enjoyable and deplorable. There is a clear evolution of the series into demented Loony Tunes for better or for worse, but Englund's performance anchor things. While 4-6 are bad, you go in knowing what you're going to get: Creative and weird kills, a charismatic villain, and a poo poo plot.

It sucks Phantasm couldn't have some weaker competition. I'd lover for Jeepers Creepers to go against Friday and Phantasm go against The Conjuring. But that's not what happens man and A Nightmare's quality isn't about counting bad movies against the good ones. It's a movie series with an identity that transcends the sum of its parts.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

To be honest, I think the Universals are kind of a cheat. Its a big wide nebulous range of movies based on a studio and there's like 4 franchises within it. I'm fine riding with it for awhile. The "Rob Zombieverse" is small and up and down if we're just talking about the Fireflys and disqualified if you go beyond that. And Cube... whatever. Its lucky to have gotten to the second round due to bracketing. But there will come a time when the Universals are up against a truer franchise and I'm gonna feel its time to get pedantic.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

To be honest, I think the Universals are kind of a cheat. Its a big wide nebulous range of movies based on a studio and there's like 4 franchises within it.
I don't fully disagree with you, partially because I think on its own Frankenstein probably still wins. Ghost and Son aren't great but still solid while OG and Bride are masterpieces. The Mummy and the Creature are probably the only other true series existing within the brand, but I can't imagine they'd survive the ranking. You could also argue Abbot and Costello Meet... meriting its own thing.

I think there should be a real question of what counts. The problem is Universal branding. Like I don't think Phantom and Hunchback really count, but you also get into the dicey issue of the Creature films which comes out six years after the last big crossover of Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein. They never really properly crossover outside of Universal's branding.

I would argue considering The Dracula Movies, The Frankenstein Movie, The Wolfman, and all their relevant crossovers as one film series is fair since those are the three characters that actually crossed over consistently. And altogether that's only 12 movies.

But that's clearly not how the entry in the competition was made, and it would suck to not see The Mummy and The Creature essentially not even be in consideration.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Not counting the Invisible Man because of how loosely connected they are? I'd be a bit curious about how people would treat a horror franchise where 3 of the 6 entries aren't horror movies.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, its a complicated question and the sort of thing that probably would have been hashed out by a "small council" or whatever if we had gone that way. I get the idea of grouping them all together and getting them all in, but that doesn't strike me as terribly fair to the field especially if like the one thing linking them all is Bud Abbott and Lou Costello.

On the other hand yeah, I could see linking Frankenstein, Dracula, and Wolfman because they all crossover a bunch and try to hold to some kind of continuity within their own franchises and the crossovers. But the Mummy, Creature, and Invisible Man feel like stretches to me.

Like I said, its not worth it for Cube. And Rob Zombie had a tough draw but like any way you cut the Universals I still probably give them the nod. Like I'd vote the Frankenstein Franchise over Zombie and a bunch others for sure. But there's gonna be a point where they're facing Chucky or someone else where I'm gonna be real, real conflicted about what exactly counts.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea even if you discount Invisible Man, Creature, and The Mummy, the Universal Monsters series that actually was like it's own continuity(I guess we could call it the Larry Talbot Saga) would be a major threat in this tournament.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hatchet 3 is the only good hatchet movie

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Anyone who doesn't vote for Blade is a loving cop

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
Do we count Dracula Untold and the Tom Cruise Mummy? They were an attempt to reboot that franchise. What about the Brendan Frasier Mummy movies?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Brendan Fraser trilogy probably should've been it's own entry. Oh well.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I would have kept the Frasier Mummy's on their own. I probably would have including the "Dark Universe" in its own thing because it was attempting to be its own thing, but probably not qualified since Invisible Man is supposed to be stand alone and Dracula Untold got like the Hulk erasure or something. Not that it would have mattered since it wouldn't have ranked or done well. In which case maybe it gets tacked onto the main franchise in the way that like I'm cool with the Child's Play remake or the Zombie Halloweens or the Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street remakes being part of the main ones but if they had spun off into 3 or more films of their own I kind of would have felt like they should be their own thing.

But again, I don't really like the whole big blanket over all the Universal films even ones not really connected to each other. So its just more complication. I probably would have gone "The Larry Talbot/Dr. Frankenstein Saga" (as Basebf very cleverly named), Frasier's Mummy alone, and maybe the Dark Universe in its own thing along with like "Universal Mummy", "Universal Invisible Man", "Universal Creature", "Universal Dracula", etc and seen how it shaped out if any of them ranked. But again, I favored some kind of ballots or play in which in that case it would have come down to whether people wanted them in or not.

But again, this is all just Bracketology. It ain't a bracket if we're not double questioning it. No offense intended.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LesterGroans posted:

Anyone who doesn't vote for Blade is a loving cop

Yeah it’s the opposite of the hatchet movies. 3rd is the only bad one lol.
Except there is a fourth one that I watched half of. Cool that it was shot in secret in 11 days but ehh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Hatchet is like a fried Spam sandwich, it's not good exactly but sometimes you just want it and it hits the spot.

Blade is more of a high end fast food burger.

Huh... I'd love to see a version of Blade with the digital effects brought up to a modern standard.