Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

STAC Goat posted:

Eh, I don't find his case all that compelling.

I didn't find his case compelling either, and it felt like he was stretching at times. It did feel like he was going the 'have to ascribe weighty meaning to everything' route.

Anyway,

Franchescanado posted:

Feast is the convergence of early 00's meta horror and early 00's edgelord humor.

Pretty much. I do agree that in parts it has aged very poorly, but that can be said about a fair amount of movies. I consider the other two in the series more mean-spirited/bad taste than the first, and while I did see them, I didn't think they were worth picking up a copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

Amityville, in my limited research, seems to have an absolutely absurd number of entries. At least 30. Surely at least 4 of them are better than Prophecy's best four films?

Having sat through all the Amityville films in the last October Ironman, I can honestly say that No, not by any stretch are there any 4 films in the franchise that's better than 4 in the Prophecy franchise.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

My guess is that this head to head won't come up, but how does it stack against Witchcraft?

There's a few Witchcraft films I haven't seen yet, but I'd say Witchcraft's better by a skosh than Amityville. There were Amityville films I watched that were so bad I was wondering what favors or blackmail material someone had on someone else to have the movie get a release.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Kangra posted:

I seem to recall the book getting a bit more respect back in the day than the movie, though the movie certainly was fairly well-known enough to keep making them.

Only reason this is still in my head is I did a writeup about this when I sat through the Amityville franchise for the Horror thread's October Ironman.

The events the Lutzes claimed happened was a complete hoax. They were in a deep money bind and planned to write a book about their house being haunted since interest in the Occult/Paranormal was still riding the Exorcist wave. Ronny DeFeo's lawyer jumped on the bandwagon since he was trying to get a new trial for his client. The Warrens would also jump on the bandwagon since the Amityville story is what pushed them from the dime a dozen paranormal investigators and into the spotlight. The book that was released would go through a fair amount of post publishing edits when flaws would get pointed out like someone had a certain type car and didn't. George Lutz was a very litigious s.o.b. and was sue-happy over anything that might jeopardize what money he was making off this, with at one point claiming his copyright on the name Amityville Horror also extended to the town name of Amityville (It did not.). The ruling on the latter's why there's a whole bunch of films with Amityville in the title with a close enough picture of the house on the coverbox, but vague if any mentions of murders or hauntings happening before. I'd like to think each film released had George spitting mad at not getting so much as a penny off the where the moneygrab franchise was going. At the time of his death, George Lutz was in the middle of a lawsuit against the studios over the '05 remake since the studio wasn't going to bring him on as a consultant, so he was suing them for defamation.

I highly recommend the book The Amityville Conspiracy by Dr. Stephen Kaplan on the subject.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

I've been rewatching the Leprechauns.

The third one is the only one close to being "good" and watchable. Leprechaun in Space is really annoying, and completely forgets the series's own premise. It's like if the 4th Elm Street movie forgot that Freddy only appears in nightmares.

The series is just not good.

I'm still going to rewatch both of the Leprechaun in the Hoods movie, because what's the point of rewatching them if I'm not going to review the most audacious ones, but I'm not happy about it.

My take on it was it's only the first film and Leprechaun Returns which have the same leprechaun, the rest are different ones and we're being species-ist with all the leprechauns save for the one in Origins looking alike to us. It also explains the differing binding methods and abilities. With that said, I still voted for Puppetmaster since the good/cheesy entries outweigh the incredibly bad.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

I struggled with TCM vs Jaws. The first three TCM films are solid, then they start wobbling into poo poo. Jaws has a spectacular start but the later films get a bit too ridiculous in explaining the shark's reasoning.

STAC Goat posted:

Speaking of, what the gently caress happened to the Critters TV Series? Wasn't it a Shudder series? But its not on Shudder?

It was a Shudder exclusive. Not sure what happened with it but I remember the reviews left on it were less than glowing.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Sarx posted:

Haha... there's some series that are absolutely baffling in their length if you don't actively watch them as they come out.
9 Children of the Corn Movies?
14 Puppet Master Movies?

When I was compiling my what to watch list for when I did the franchises only theme, I was surprised at what was out there. I knew Witchcraft and Amityville had a shitload but there were more films made after the ones I was aware of. I understand the aim to cash grab but GOD drat some of these were stretching.

And as far as the voting this round goes, all but one pairing was a no brainer for me. Child's Play vs Leprechaun was a hard one. I like that Leprechaun did try something different with the monster, I even liked Origins for that reason. But while Child's Play's evil doll basics, Brad and Fiona Dourif's charisma makes it a heavy contender. I had to vote Child's Play.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I do think its funny that we're all so pathological that even in a discussion of "Jason vs X" it keeps coming back to "Which Jason is your favorite?"

It's tradition.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

The match-cut from the tanning beds to the paired coffins in 3 didn't do anything for you? The way the series is just so gleefully mean with its ending stingers? Tony Todd hamming it up as Bluddworth? All of that, nothing?

The DVD has the choose their fate option of seeing what happens if everyone avoids Death and pretty much Death's the good guy. I remember the pervy guy if he avoids dying ends up getting arrested for doing upskirt shots.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

You know, I'm not sure if I've ever seen Ghoulies 2 now that I think of it. I liked the first one well enough but I think that's all I saw.

But NotLD is one of those movies I just stop everything and watch when I come across it. And Dawn and Day are good. And Land is ok. Diary is bad. Never seen Survival.

I'm okay with how we don't get the little terrors earlier in Ghoulies. I really liked the house they were in. It's in the top three dream houses I would like to live in.

As far as the NOTLD run goes, Romero should've ended it with Land. Diary and Survival felt like he was only cranking them out since the expectation is Romero = Zombies.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

The Evil Dead remake is good. Completely different from the other stuff. Played straight (although with a really gruesome dark humor) and gory and violent as hell. I think if it had been released under another name and no one was making the comparisons it would have been pretty popular, especially amongst our crowd.

And technically its in continuity and more of a spinoff/reboot/sequel than a remake.

I still feel the dog torture/death didn't need to be there. They established what they needed to with the book page and the dead cats in the beginning.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

But if I remember right the dog's death/torture is only implied and not actually shown so I can assume no dog was abused in any way there. But I get why people have strong reactions to that kind of stuff.

It was the combination of knowing what was going to happen with the foreshadowing and the dog's cries that did it for me. Despite liking everything else in the movie, what happens to the dog's why I just can't bring myself to rewatch it.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Considering Blade was one of my favorite superheros since the Marvel Vampire Tales magazine, I had to vote for him.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Class3KillStorm posted:

Yeah, okay, if you want to argue for something like White Zombie or something else inspired by the Haitian voodoo legends in the 1930s and 40s, sure, technically. But that's not the image of zombies that the modern world knows and understands today, which all begins with George Romero's 1960s sci-fi take on a barely remembered monster that no one cared about.

It hasn't helped that everyone seems to have forgotten the voodoo zombies. I don't think anything post Night's been done involving them aside from Serpent and the Rainbow, Zombie Nightmare, or the All Flesh Must Be Eaten RPG.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

One big gripe no one's mentioned, and I could see it weighing in on someone's votes, but finding a preferred version of Dawn of the Dead has been a pain in the rear end for years, and now it's just expensive.

I'm torn between the European and Extended cuts. I've heard there's another cut, the Extended Mall Hours that's apparently everything from all the assorted cuts combined that I've not seen yet.

As far as the NotLD/RotLD argument goes, the Romero zombies were scary in their numbers, but drat the Russo ones when I first saw them running on the big screen had me legitly scared since if they ever happened, I'm not outrunning them even on my best days.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

TheBizzness posted:

How come people don’t like Red Dragon very much? I always dug it, but it doesn’t seem to get much love around here.

Only negative I can say about Manhunter is it's very 80s. Red Dragon just felt a bit too polished to me, so it's Manhunter hands down.

As far as the other matchups go, some hard choices to make here. Tremors vs Lecter feels like comparing comfort food to high end fancy dining. While they're both food and edible, you can't really put the two on a table to compare because there's so many differences and appeal. I'm quicker to do a Tremors marathon than I am a Lecter marathon. When I do watch Lecter, it's just Manhunter and Silence. I didn't like the Hannibal book at all, movie didn't click with me to where I have no interest in sitting through Hannibal Rising or sitting through the show. I have sat through the Tremors series and it's got it's moments.

I like both TCM and Halloween, but drat I hated that Cult of Thorn bullshit with Halloween and the last batch of TCM films are stuck in this oroborus of interchangeable prequels that if someone did an adaptation of the awful fanfics having Leatherface in High School dealing with prom/dating/that math class test would be a breath of fresh air at this point.

NoES vs Scream? Scream's tight, especially the first three films. I like we're given a full arc of survivor of slasher having to cope with the aftermath and how it effected them. The fourth's not so much bad but felt like a bit of a cash grab, but when you figure it's poking at the concept of remakes that's just another layer of meta. The TV series sucked something fierce. NoES has it's highs and lows, but they're all watchable except for that craptastic remake. I'd rate Freddy's Nightmares as better than the Scream TV series.

Evil Dead vs Hellraiser...hmmm. Evil Dead's pure quality over quantity. Even with my issue with the remake, it's still a pretty solid film. I absolutely loved the Ash vs Evil Dead TV series. Hellraiser, while I'm a lot more forgiving of some of the films compared to most in the horror threads, the last two films really tarnished the overall whole to me. I really liked the angle that the Cenobites were their own thing and the Labyrinth being "Hell" was more how that being the only way we can comprehend how alien it is. Making it actual Hell and there being a Heaven with angels just tanked the allure the concept of beings where pain and pleasure are indistinguishable had for me that I'm not really interested in any future entries in the franchise.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

The way you capitalized Newcomers I assume you're posting from inside the Alien Nation universe

Since I now can't get the TV series theme song out of my head, I'm posting this so the rest of you have it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKNc1nORBz0

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

I knew when this was started that there would end up being hard choices, and some of the match ups have been hard for me to decide. Having to decide between Friday the 13th and the Classic Universals has to be the hardest one yet for me.

On the one side, it's the Universals that were my entry into loving Horror. I'm on the younger end of the scale for the Monster Kids. I grew up putting together the Aurora models, voraciously reading any Horror mag I could lay my hands on, played with loads of toys that had knockoff images of Frankenstein's Monster/Dracula/Wolfman on them, diligently watched the movies when the Saturday Horror Hosts would show them along with never missing an episode of The Munsters/Addams Family when they were on, and made many a mess in the kitchen and bathroom trying to replicate the monster makeup with what I could find in the house. Just hearing the opening notes of Swan Lake puts a smile on my face and I'm seeing the title imagery of the movies in my head. No matter how many times I've sat through the movies, I still get misty eyed over Frankenstein's Monster just wanting a friend and Larry Talbot's horror at realizing he's the werewolf on the prowl.

On the other side, Friday the 13th was what really pushed me firmly on the path to being the Horror Movie Junkie I am now. Halloween opened the door, Friday the 13th put the boot to my rear end to get stepping. Yeah, the films aren't terribly creative, but they did establish the template for slashers. It was like a floodgate opened and it was horror films in abundance. I couldn't even begin to estimate how many hours I've spent discussing and debating the franchise over the years. Hardest was with the other Monster Kids as moreso then than now, there was a serious rift in the horror community over the older films with ambiance and nuance, and the newer films that pulled no splatter punches. Whatever iffiness was there over the more bloody films like Hammer was nothing compared to the vitriol directed at the slasher style horror. Didn't help that I could understand each side's perspective and felt there's room for it all.

So, here I sit feeling torn because I love both. Plenty of nostalgia for both and I appreciate each's impact on the horror genre.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Splint Chesthair posted:

It’s my favorite out of all of them. Claude Rains and the script make for one of the most memorable movie villains of all time.

“Even the MOON’S frightened of me! The whole world’s frightened of me, frightened to DEATH!”

Rains did a good job of Griffen's being unhinged. You go from lines like that to this scene and it just works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ek5v10EHoI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

I would love to know more good Mummy movies, because I've never been impressed with Universal's mummy movies (Brendan Frasier Mummies are fun, but are Indiana Jones clones, which is fine). I liked all of the Hammer mummy movies. I'd really just like a film where people are stuck in a tomb with a mummy and trying to escape. Usually the mummy is stalking around in a city, which is way more boring than a booby-trapped tomb.

Timewalker from '82 had it's moments. Dawn of the Mummy from '81 starts a bit sloggy but picks up once the mummy's shuffling around.